• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

I need help with an old Dell please!

bmiester

Hi this is my first thread.
I am currently running an old dell computer which i have upgraded every now and then and I have bought a new case for it. The thing is The dell i have at the moment has a fan that is connected to the back of the computer on the mesh and has a tunnell that directs the air to the CPU. I have another CPU fan but it doesnt fit as the conector is strange.on the motherboard. What do i do? Will I need to buy a new motherboard for this new case? Or wil there be a fan out ther?
Im not sure of the make of the motherboard But When i find out I will Post it up.

Processor AMD FX 8320 @ 4GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5 rev1
Cooling Corsair H70
Memory 4 x 4GB DDR3 Ripjawz 1600Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Vapor-X AMD R9 280X
Storage 1 x 500GB Samsung Evo 850, 1 x 500GB Vrap Data Drive, 3 x 2TB Seagate, 1 x 1TB Samsung F1
Display(s) 3 x DGM IPS-2402WDH
Case Coolermaster HAF X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Coolermaster 1000W Silent Pro M
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Dell is known for using proprietary connectors (ie, ones that will only work on their systems) so chances are yes, you will have to buy a new motherboard.

But to be honest, I would never upgrade a pre-built PC. I'd just start again and build one myself, you can run in to lots of issues.

System Name Addison Clark
Processor Ryzen 9 7950x3D delid
Motherboard Asus X670E Hero
Cooling Custom Bykski loop CPU, GPU, 2x 360 rads, and 1x 280 rad with Arctic P12 and P14 ARGB fans
Memory G.Skill DDR5-6000 64GB CL30
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 4090 Aorus Master
Storage Kingston Fury 2TB and 4TB NVME
Display(s) Samsung 57"
Case Lian Li O11 mini
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Thermaltake 1000w SFX-L
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RGB SE
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platnium
Software Win 11 Pro
Did your fan come with a molex to three pin adapter? If not I would just go to your local PC shop and pick one up or if you have any PC friends I would think they have some laying around.

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
Hi this is my first thread.
I am currently running an old dell computer which i have upgraded every now and then and I have bought a new case for it. The thing is The dell i have at the moment has a fan that is connected to the back of the computer on the mesh and has a tunnell that directs the air to the CPU. I have another CPU fan but it doesnt fit as the conector is strange.on the motherboard. What do i do? Will I need to buy a new motherboard for this new case? Or wil there be a fan out ther?
Im not sure of the make of the motherboard But When i find out I will Post it up.

The motherboard is most likely a Foxconn. The are made specially for Dell, and usually do not have the ports in the same locations as a normal mobo, thus the need for a proprietary Dell case.

It's one thing to upgrade components on a Dell, but to try to migrate Dell components to a new case is an exercise in frustration. You will almost certainly have to do modifications to the new case to get things to fit.

Leave the Dell be and start building a new one from scratch.

Feel free to post into this thread if you need advice on component pruchases. The fine people here on TPU can give you advice no matter what your budget.

Oh .. and welcome to TPU :toast:

System Name Ultrabeast GX2
Processor Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 @ 4.0GHZ 24/7
Motherboard Gigabit P35-DS3L
Cooling Rosewill RX24, Dual Slot Vid, Fan control
Memory 2x1gb 1066mhz@850MHZ DDR2
Video Card(s) 9800GX2 @ 690/1040
Storage 750/250/250/200 all WD 7200
Display(s) 24" DCLCD 2ms 1200p
Case Apevia
Audio Device(s) 7.1 Digital on-board, 5.1 digital hooked up
Power Supply 700W RAIDMAXXX SLI
Software winXP Pro
Benchmark Scores 17749 3DM06
Worst case scenario you just have to splice the wire. You dont need more than a basic knowledge of this, i think the worst thing that can happen is the fan blows? or turns the opposite direction, i dunno. Simple stuff bro
there is nothing wrong with upgrading a regular store bough PC, although I would recommend only the hard drive, ram, video card, and maybe the CPU.
You can get a pretty good motherboard for 50 bucks, it doesnt look like you are necessarily a super power user nerd who spends thousands of bucks on something that isnt worth more than a couple of hundred, just to say your clock speed is 5% faster...

bmiester

Heyy ive decided to build a new one. I got that new case so im going to get a new motherboard for it.. All the other parts are fairly new apart from the motherboard so i should be ok right?

bmiester

Thanks all for your replies. Im stil in collage so Building a new omputer may take some time but it wil be a good Thing to go along with my ICT course. Im now planning on buying all new parts for it.

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
Good for you.
Like I said, if you need assistance there are lots of people here willling to help.

... now quit goofing off and get back to studying for college. :D

bmiester

Hahaha wel its the easter hols so i finaly get a break!!:rockout:
God i had to type up a 40 page essay about network security!! :wtf: