1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

I Need Some Home Networking Help

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by beyond_amusia, Feb 8, 2009.

1. beyond_amusia

beyond_amusia New Member

Thanks Received:
    Okay, so I've been having bad luck with routers... I've gone through 3 in a month. They keep bricking themselves, and yes, they were plugged into a surge protector... so I decided to forgo using a router to directly host our internet, and decided I'd like my PC to host the connection. Well, this is not really that easy since one PC is wireless and in another room, so I decided that a set up like the one in the picture below may work best...

[​IMG]

Modem to my PC, my PC to router, and then the router just basically acts like a bridge...
    But now the dilemma... Just HOW do I get a set up like that going? I know how to assign IPs and such, but how would I get my PC to be seen by the router's WAN port in order to share the internet with the other PCs?

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. beyond_amusia

beyond_amusia New Member

Thanks Received:
    I just found out my spare NIC is dead, so I guess this is a no go. but if I get a new one and get this setup done, I will post back with instructions since no one else seems to have any ideas - I hate googling a problem only to find a forum that asks the same thing with no replies, or worse yet, the person says they solved it but offers no answer as to how they did it.

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  4. mrhuggles

mrhuggles

Thanks Received:
    #1 the router your looking for should be a switch not a router

#2 you could just get a good router, me i run openWRT with X-Wrt as the web interface, its also one of the rare things you can do what you want with that, with openWRT + X-Wrt the way youd wanna do it is put the WAN port on the same VLAN as the rest of the ports.

then again if you had openWRT + X-Wrt you wouldnt need to have your computer infront of it, also btw, linksys routers can have their wattage on the wifi turned up to like 251mw, dont if you do youll fry it that way. the general consensus is 84mw with extra cooling is good. that is generaly the sweet spot between noise and power, but IMHO you should have extra cooling even for bumping it just a little. even if extra cooling just means a little tiny heatsink it would be better than running the chip all by its self.

just my opinion if u didnt need it atleast u know how to hook up your network how u want now :)

well, with any basic router that doesnt give you any good option to do it, i guess you could simply not hook up the WAN port, and just hook all the stuff into the LAN ports, the difference between the WAN port and the LAN ports is that the wan port is on the outside of the NAT.

5. dna1x

dna1x New Member

Thanks Received:
    If you setup ics on pc1, you can connect pc1's nic2 to one of the numbered ports on the router. The router would need to have DHCP disabled and it's ip address should be on the same subnet as pc1 but out of range of pc1's dhcp. ie: assuming you are using an xp pc for pc1, ics would use a 192.168.0.x subnet so the router should be using an ip like 192.168.0.254.

6. crtecha

crtecha New Member

Thanks Received:
    Have you replaced all your cat5 or even tested it? I've seen bad cable do lots of damage. Check your on board and any nic cards you have. Bad nic card can kill the switch, hub or router. A bad cable can do the same. I have a ridiculous amount of 8,16 and 24 port switches at work and I've seen a lot of weird things kill one.

7. Hybrid_theory

Hybrid_theory

Thanks Received:
    Use a linksys router too imo. I havent had one die on me yet. Had one for a couple years. Using a pc as a router would be a bad idea. It is a much slower form of routing.

10 Year Member at TPU