• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

i think that my amd cpu stock cooler was with preinstalled thermal paste but i installed another thermal paste on my cpu

is there a problem for that? as i didn't notice that the stock cooler has preinstalled thermal paste...
thank you

Toothless

Tech, Games, and TPU!
Supporter
System Name Veral
Processor 5950x
Motherboard MSI MEG x570 Ace
Cooling Corsair H150i RGB Elite
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill TridentZ
Video Card(s) Powercolor 7900XTX Red Devil
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 1TB, Samsung 980 1TB, Teamgroup MP34 4TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro XZ342CK Pbmiiphx + 2x AOC 2425W
Case Fractal Design Meshify Lite 2
Audio Device(s) Blue Yeti + SteelSeries Arctis 5 / Samsung HW-T550
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Corsair Nightsword
Keyboard Corsair K55
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Software Windows 11 Professional
Benchmark Scores PEBCAK
Just clean the cooler and cpu, and reapply paste. You don't want to keep reusing the same application, nor mix pastes.

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
is there any problem if i continue using them without cleaning and repaste again?
the stock paste and the paste that you add later may affect the heat transfer between the chip and the heatsink, you may risk over pasting

Toothless

Tech, Games, and TPU!
Supporter
System Name Veral
Processor 5950x
Motherboard MSI MEG x570 Ace
Cooling Corsair H150i RGB Elite
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill TridentZ
Video Card(s) Powercolor 7900XTX Red Devil
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 1TB, Samsung 980 1TB, Teamgroup MP34 4TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro XZ342CK Pbmiiphx + 2x AOC 2425W
Case Fractal Design Meshify Lite 2
Audio Device(s) Blue Yeti + SteelSeries Arctis 5 / Samsung HW-T550
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Corsair Nightsword
Keyboard Corsair K55
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Software Windows 11 Professional
Benchmark Scores PEBCAK
is there any problem if i continue using them without cleaning and repaste again?
Bubbles that capture heat, horrid contact, etc.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
according to that, you advice me to clean this and repaste,alright?
I sure do. You should NEVER reuse old TIM (thermal interface material) once it has started to cure. And note curing begins as soon as it is exposed to the air and particularly with the first heat/cool cycle (first boot) after application. This means you should NEVER simply add new TIM over old.

There are many reasons for this. Unless the old TIM and new TIM came out of the exact same tube of TIM, odds are the TIMs are made up of different materials, chemicals, and formulas. Who knows how those chemicals and materials will react with each other - especially when heated.

Also, we must remember the most efficient transfer of heat occurs with direct metal-to-metal contact. The purpose of TIM is to fill the microscopic pits and valleys in the mating surfaces to prevent any insulating air from getting trapped inside. This means a proper application of TIM is as thin a layer as possible, while still providing complete coverage. Any excess TIM is in the way and counterproductive to the efficient transfer of heat.

So yeah, you need to power down, unplug from the wall, touch bare metal of the case interior to discharge any static in your body, then carefully remove the cooler, thoroughly clean the mating surfaces, and re-apply a proper new layer of TIM.

Note I use 91-93% Isopropyl alcohol and a clean cotton pad to clean the mating surfaces.

I sure do. You should NEVER reuse old TIM (thermal interface material) once it has started to cure. And note curing begins as soon as it is exposed to the air and particularly with the first heat/cool cycle (first boot) after application. This means you should NEVER simply add new TIM over old.

There are many reasons for this. Unless the old TIM and new TIM came out of the exact same tube of TIM, odds are the TIMs are made up of different materials, chemicals, and formulas. Who knows how those chemicals and materials will react with each other - especially when heated.

Also, we must remember the most efficient transfer of heat occurs with direct metal-to-metal contact. The purpose of TIM is to fill the microscopic pits and valleys in the mating surfaces to prevent any insulating air from getting trapped inside. This means a proper application of TIM is as thin a layer as possible, while still providing complete coverage. Any excess TIM is in the way and counterproductive to the efficient transfer of heat.

So yeah, you need to power down, unplug from the wall, touch bare metal of the case interior to discharge any static in your body, then carefully remove the cooler, thoroughly clean the mating surfaces, and re-apply a proper new layer of TIM.

Note I use 91-93% Isopropyl alcohol and a clean cotton pad to clean the mating surfaces.
thank you so much..i made what you told me and put anew thermal paste but it took me half an hour to install the cpu fan,so did the thermal paste affected by Air ?
is there will be any problems?
for some clearance the preinstaled thermal paste of cpu stock fan wasn't meant that it was used before...
it was the first time i use it but i didn't notice that the fan come with preinstaled thermal paste and i put another thermal paste on my cpu inaddition to the fan thermal paste...
do you understand me?
but i cleaned all that and put a new thermal paste only on my cpu then instaled the fan after cleaning it well.
thanks

Last edited:

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
thank you so much..i made what you told me and put anew thermal paste but it took me half an hour to install the cpu fan,so did the thermal paste affected by Air ?
is there will be any problems?

No, your fine.

Lei

Processor 3900x - Bykski waterblock
Motherboard MSI b450m mortar max BIOS Date 27 Apr 2023
Cooling αcool 560 rad - 2xPhanteks F140XP
Memory Micron 32gb 3200mhz ddr4
Video Card(s) Colorful 3090 ADOC active backplate cooling
Storage WD SN850 2tb ,HP EX950 1tb, WD UltraStar Helioseal 18tb+18tb
Display(s) 24“ HUION pro 4k 10bit
Case aluminium extrusions copper panels, 60 deliveries for every piece down to screws
Audio Device(s) sony stereo mic, logitech c930, Gulikit pro 2 + xbox Series S controller, moded bt headphone 1200mAh
Power Supply Corsair RM1000x
Mouse pen display, no mouse no click
Keyboard Microsoft aio media embedded touchpad (moded lithium battery 1000mAh)
Software Win 11 23h2 build 22631
Benchmark Scores cine23 20000
for some clearance the preinstaled thermal paste of cpu stock fan wasn't meant that it was used before...
it was the first time i use it but i didn't notice that the fan come with preinstaled thermal paste and i put another thermal paste on my cpu inaddition to the fan thermal paste...
do you understand me?
yes, we understand. you should not put thermal paste on top of thermal paste.
the layer of thermal paste you make must be as thin as possible. and you should not mix two types of thermal pastes together (hence your preinstalled paste is not same as the one you added)

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
so did the thermal paste affected by Air ?
I agree with Solaris17. 30 minutes of exposure to air would not be a problem. The greater risk would be foreign objects like dust bunnies or cookie crumbs falling on the exposed TIM.

yes, we understand. you should not put thermal paste on top of thermal paste.
the layer of thermal paste you make must be as thin as possible. and you should not mix two types of thermal pastes together (hence your preinstalled paste is not same as the one you added)
ok i got it, but when i put the thermal paste, i couldn't make it in the middle acurately so while i was trying to install the fan, the fan was sticking to the processor and during adjustment to fit in the correct holes of motherboard i noticed that the paste spreaded on most of the cpu surface with slight more towards one side than another of cpu..
as i don't have a spatula to spread the paste so the paste isn't with equal spread layer along the whole cpu surface..
will this affect anything specially the cpu temp?
thanks

Lei

Case aluminium extrusions copper panels, 60 deliveries for every piece down to screws
Audio Device(s) sony stereo mic, logitech c930, Gulikit pro 2 + xbox Series S controller, moded bt headphone 1200mAh
ok i got it, but when i put the thermal paste, i couldn't make it in the middle accurately so while i was trying to install the fan, the fan was sticking to the processor and during adjustment to fit in the correct holes of motherboard i noticed that the paste spread on most of the cpu surface with slight more towards one side than another of cpu..
as i don't have a spatula to spread the paste so the paste isn't with equal spread layer along the whole cpu surface..
will this affect anything specially the cpu temp?
thanks
your thermal paste tube, how many grams is it? how much did you use?

not having spatula is ok, you can wiggle the heatsink on the cpu to spread the paste. in simple words: you put the fan, don't screw yet, turn the fan clockwise and counterclockwise and little up and down, down and up, left and right.... basically your fan (heatsink) is your spatula. and to be honest it's better than spatula.

imagine your fan is your brush, just draw a happy little tree on the cpu with the fanbrush.

bob ross GIF

i noticed that the paste spreaded on most of the cpu surface with slight more towards one side than another of cpu..
how did you notice at this moment. is the thermal paste oozing out from under the heatsink like this:

Food Pressing GIF

did you notice by thinking about the past, or by seeing the thermal paste acting like the cheese in this burger?
it's important, answer carefully.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
This is how I do it.

After a thorough cleaning, I apply a very small amount of TIM - the size of a small grain of rice is often suggested. It is always easier to add more than to take excess off. I snip off the end of a plastic shaft Q-Tip (cotton swap), then bend 1/2 inch of the cut end over to make a little hockey stick applicator. Then I spread the TIM across the die with the applicator, like spreading icing on a cake - as thin as possible, but complete coverage. Then I remount the heatsink, then leave it alone.

your thermal paste tube, how many grams is it? how much did you use?

not having spatula is ok, you can wiggle the heatsink on the cpu to spread the paste. in simple words: you put the fan, don't screw yet, turn the fan clockwise and counterclockwise and little up and down, down and up, left and right.... basically your fan (heatsink) is your spatula. and to be honest it's better than spatula.

imagine your fan is your brush, just draw a happy little tree on the cpu with the fanbrush.

bob ross GIF

how did you notice at this moment. is the thermal paste oozing out from under the heatsink like this:

Food Pressing GIF

did you notice by thinking about the past, or by seeing the thermal paste acting like the cheese in this burger?
it's important, answer carefully.
no, when i lifted the fan during adjustment on the screw holes, i saw that...

noctua NT-H1 3.5g

This is how I do it.

After a thorough cleaning, I apply a very small amount of TIM - the size of a small grain of rice is often suggested. It is always easier to add more than to take excess off. I snip off the end of a plastic shaft Q-Tip (cotton swap), then bend 1/2 inch of the cut end over to make a little hockey stick applicator. Then I spread the TIM across the die with the applicator, like spreading icing on a cake - as thin as possible, but complete coverage. Then I remount the heatsink, then leave it alone.
but i already installed the heatsink and it was difficilt for me to adjust the screws...
will be all ok as i described about not equal spread along the cpu serface?
i apologize about annoying you...
i appretiate your help....thanks

Reactions: Lei

Lei

@GladiatoR
that's ok, just the turn the system on and see the temps.
we will help you if anything goes wrong.

while screwing the fan/heatsink, you should fasten one screw, skip the neighboring one, and fasten the next one. This helps the pressure being equally distributed.
so when you fasten one screw, the next one should not be the nearest screw.
and each time you're fastening, just do a little bit, don't fasten as much as you can. you'll return to the same screw later and fasten more. so each time you're screwing, just turn ~3 times.

1667772394838.png

like this, first fasten number 1, then 2 ,3 , 4 and then get back to 1 (which is 5 now) ....

@GladiatoR
that's ok, just the turn the system on and see the temps.
we will help you if anything goes wrong.

while screwing the fan/heatsink, you should fasten one screw, skip the neighboring one, and fasten the next one. This helps the pressure being equally distributed.
so when you fasten one screw, the next one should not be the nearest screw.
and each time you're fastening, just do a little bit, don't fasten as much as you can. you'll return to the same screw later and fasten more. so each time you're screwing, just turn ~3 times.

View attachment 268781

like this, first fasten number 1, then 2 ,3 , 4 and then get back to 1 (which is 5 now) ....
ok..i understood you...thanks very much
one more thing, my processor is Ryzen 5 5600G ..what is the recomended temp during playing games?

Last edited:
Reactions: Lei
Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Not
it was difficilt for me to adjust the screws...
I don't know what you mean by "adjust". You tighten them until they stop turning, and no more. They are designed to apply equal pressure at this point. There is no "adjustment" needed.

will be all ok as i described about not equal spread along the cpu serface?
If all the mounting screws are applying even pressure (as designed), the TIM should spread out evenly due to that pressure - especially after being warmed up. The issue is really about the quantity of TIM applied. As I noted before, too much TIM is in the way and counterproductive to the efficient transfer of heat. But if there is WAY too much, there is another hazard, and that is that some of the excess TIM may be squeezed out, run over the edge and onto the socket and motherboard. That would not be good.

Lei

ok..i understood you...thanks very much
one more thing, my processor is Ryzen 5 5600G ..what is the recomended temp during playing games?
Try to stay under 90. It must be less during winter though.

Not

I don't know what you mean by "adjust". You tighten them until they stop turning, and no more. They are designed to apply equal pressure at this point. There is no "adjustment" needed.

If all the mounting screws are applying even pressure (as designed), the TIM should spread out evenly due to that pressure - especially after being warmed up. The issue is really about the quantity of TIM applied. As I noted before, too much TIM is in the way and counterproductive to the efficient transfer of heat. But if there is WAY too much, there is another hazard, and that is that some of the excess TIM may be squeezed out, run over the edge and onto the socket and motherboard. That would not be good.
i mean by adjustement, fitting the screws in their positions..it was difficult for me to fit the 4 screws although of being using x method to fit them..
you reach my point?
by the way i tighten them until they stoped turning as you say...
thanks alot

Try to stay under 90. It must be less during winter though.
so if it was between 70-80°c, iam safe...alright?