1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

I was thinking of getting the Arctic Accelero Hybrid for my HD6870, is this a good cooler?

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by SaiZo, Jan 17, 2014.

1. SaiZo

SaiZo

Thanks Received:
    As the title says. I want to know before I just randomly buy and endup with something that doesn't do as promised. It's said it can keep my HD6870 cool and quiet, but is it worth getting?

Stock fan I have now can get really loud when the system is at it's top (GPU working hard?).
    So I saw this Accelero Hybrid and want to get me one.

One problem however.. Everyone I know of where I live is sold out.
    Anyone know of any hardware store (online) that can ship to Sweden??

2. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    The hybrid stuff isn't a great idea, get the full size fanned one if you do or the half size.

Full size:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186068

Half size (twin turbo branded): http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005FYCFG8/?tag=tec06d-20
    not sure who can do shipping...

The 6870 wasn't stellar compared to the GCN stuff, it might be better to sell the 6870 and buy a r9 270.

I have ordered a single fan Artic, its the $20 one, for a 5850 which is a hotter chip. I will let you know how it performs when it comes but it might be a few more days.

SaiZo says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  3. SaiZo

SaiZo

Thanks Received:
    Umm, ok.. So, the closed loop watercooled Arctic Accelero performs worse than the one with 3 fans? And how is the sound level on Arctic one with 3 fans??
    The one I have right now, at full blast sounds louder than my RC helicopter.

I'm not going to sell the 6870, I just got it, and it works fine with the games etc. that I use.

4. SaiZo

SaiZo

Thanks Received:
    No one else who knows anything about the Arctic Acceleo Hybrid (the closed water loop one)?

5. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I know all about it, it is old, uses and older AIO which at the time was okay, but since has been succeeded by a couple of generations of AIOs that have improved. With it not being in stock anymore, you could look into a Kraken and G10 combo, but you may need to help the cooling on the PCB, have yet to test it, so I'm not positive how it all works yet.

SaiZo says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  6. SaiZo

SaiZo

Thanks Received:
    Perhaps I should just let the cash "rest" and save up for a proper watercooling kit (something no AIO)?

Just a question - what is the "G10"? I know that Kraken is from NZXT, but it's for CPU's. Is that "G10" something to make it fit on an GPU??

7. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
  8. adulaamin

adulaamin

Thanks Received:
    I'd go with Vario's suggestion, sell your 6870 and add the cash that you'll be using for the Accelero Hybrid and buy a newer graphics card. Maybe something with a non-ref cooler.

9. Nortrop

Nortrop

Thanks Received:
    The G10 is an adapter to fit the Kraken on a graphics card.

To me it's absolutely pointless to watercool a midrange GPU or CPU. Water makes sense only when overclocking and using the fastest hardware available. It's useless on the midrange because for the extra added value of a real wc kit you could always get something faster and cooler up the ranks.

Those two CLCs (the Hybrid and the Kraken) are overkill for a 6870, plus they won't provide proper cooling for the VRM on the card, which I'm guessing is a reference design. The reason is that the VRM area on the ref design (most of the 6870 models out there) is to the left of the GPU and the fans on the Hybrid and the G10 are on the right of the chip, so no efficient cooling for the power delivery and it's kinda pointless in that regard.

Either save yourself some money on the CLC and get a Twin Turbo II (first swedish place that popped up after a google search - http://www.webhallen.com/se-sv/hardvara/152109-arctic_accelero_twin_turbo_ii&atcl=external). It's dead silent, super efficient and twice as cheap as the Hybrid.

Or like sneekypeet and adulaamin suggested, sell the 6870 and with the money for the Hybrid (which costs close to half the price of a 270x in Sweden) upgrade to something newer, quieter, faster and more efficient.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  10. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    SaiZo says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  11. Nortrop

Nortrop

Thanks Received:
    In Sweden the Mono is actually more expensive than the TTII, not by much, but still... If the OP is strapped for space, then go for the Mono, but other than that, at the same price, it's pointless.

SaiZo and Norton say thanks.
  12. 15th Warlock

15th Warlock

Thanks Received:
    So I installed an Accelero Hybrid to my 290X a couple of months ago:

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/r9-290-290x-owners-thread.193520/page-2#post-3018697

Max temps went from 94 degrees and a lot of throttling to 65 degrees and constant 1000MHz on the core, not a single MHz dropped... the card is almost silent too, so I can vouch for the performance of this cooler.

However, installing it is a royal PITA, dunno if it's worth it investing so much time and money on this cooler for a 6870, there are probably more conventional coolers out there that offer a more user friendly installation at a more reasonable price for your card...

SaiZo says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  13. SaiZo

SaiZo

Thanks Received:
    I was thinking.. If I wait, maybe something new will come to the market? Also, I might perhaps need a new chassi even before I get an Acceleo or similar. The airflow is rather bad inside my case, however the CPU stays at a good temperature, but since it's own AIO wc cooler is already taking up one space, it will be most difficult to add another AIO wc cooler to it.
    Nothing a Dremel couldn't handle, but still.

I'll wait. And if there will be no more AIO wc GPU coolers anymore, I guess I'll just take the best one recommended from this site...

14. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    the g10 actually fits many closed loop aio's(not just the krakens) but your sonata only has one spot for a 120mm fan on the back right, where would you put the extra radiator if you did get another aio anyway(the twin turbo is pretty good like said above).

SaiZo says thanks.
  15. SaiZo

SaiZo

Thanks Received:
    Thus, getting a better case first might be a good solution, right? But like I said, might come some other AIO solution from other companies in the future.
    However let's use the word if, now if I was to put the 120fan (and radiator) I would have to put it outside, just like the AIO that is in it right now. But.. I will not go there.
    I'll wait.

16. GreiverBlade

GreiverBlade

Thanks Received:
    well the hybrid perform well ... but a 6870 isn't worth it... and as wrote Vario a R9-270 (X or not) or a 7870ghz with a good non stock cooling design should be way better, for instance i had (in RMA actually) a MSI R9-270 Gaming OC (which can OC at the level of a X version) and it was whisper quiet the Twin Frozr IV is by far the best cooler i had on a custom card, the Accelero twin turbo get close to that but again, is it worth to buy a aftermarket cooler for a 6870.

SaiZo says thanks.
  17. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Yes the 6870 is not that hot of a GPU. Don't waste your money

SaiZo says thanks.