• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

i7-10750H MSI GS66 10SE-044US - How can I lock this Frequency Core Multiplier to: 50 ???

i7-10750H
MSI GS66 10SE-044US

This Frequency Core Multiplier is constantly going up and down.
How can I lock this Frequency Core Multiplier to: 50 ???

(00)

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    1 MB · Views: 582

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
lock this Frequency Core Multiplier to: 50
The 10750H does not support this feature. Look in the FIVR window. It shows you the maximum multiplier based on how many cores are active. When 1 core is active, the 10750H might briefly be able to use the 50 multiplier but it is not possible to use the 50 multiplier when all 6 cores are active.

Your screenshot shows that your CPU is Power limit throttling at 65W. Your CPU will run at whatever speed is necessary so it does not exceed 65W.

A mobile H series CPU is not a K series desktop CPU. You will always be limited by Intel Turbo Boost, the turbo power limits and the CPU temperature. You have to balance all of these variables to achieve maximum performance. A mobile HK CPU might have been a better choice but they are still going to be severely limited in most laptops by the cooling system.

Last edited:
The 10750H does not support this feature. Look in the FIVR window. It shows you the maximum multiplier based on how many cores are active. When 1 core is active, the 10750H might briefly be able to use the 50 multiplier but it is impossible to use this when all 6 cores are active.

Your screenshot shows that your CPU is Power limit throttling at 65W. Your CPU will run at whatever speed is necessary so it does not exceed 65W.

A mobile H series CPU is not a K series desktop CPU. You will always be limited by Intel Turbo Boost, the turbo power limits and the CPU temperature. You have to balance all of these variables to achieve maximum performance. A mobile HK CPU might have been a better choice but they are still going to be severely limited in most laptops by the cooling system.

Sounds good. Thanks for the *65W Power Limit* tip. The cooling is excellent on the "MSI GS66 10SE-044US ( 144Hz \ i7-10750H \ RTX 2060 ( BestBuy Sale: $1099)"
So, I'm going to try and bump up the power to: 75W.

You were *right* about my last laptop. The CPU, BIOS, Memory or something, was crap. So, I took it back. This one undervolts to:
Offset Voltage: -145 mV at IccMax 200 A

Any idea how high I can take the *** IccMax *** before it burns up my laptop??? In Electronics School, we were always taught volts good, amps bad. So, I'm bringing it back down to stock:
*** IccMax 165 A *** for now.

(00)

Last edited:

unclewebb

I would set all of the IccMax sliders to their maximum, 255.75. I have never heard of a mobile Intel CPU blowing up because of this setting.

Watch Limit Reasons. At 65W or 75W, it is impossible for a 10750H to draw 200 amps. No need to worry about the IccMax setting. Set it sky high to avoid any throttling.

Many enthusiasts are happy with their MSI laptops. They are not as locked down compared to most of their competition. Do a Google search for the key combination used to access the hidden BIOS options.

I would set all of the IccMax sliders to their maximum, 255.75. I have never heard of a mobile Intel CPU blowing up because of this setting.

Watch Limit Reasons. At 65W or 75W, it is impossible for a 10750H to draw 200 amps. No need to worry about the IccMax setting. Set it sky high to avoid any throttling.

Many enthusiasts are happy with their MSI laptops. They are not as locked down compared to most of their competition. Do a Google search for the key combination used to access the hidden BIOS options.

AWESOME! I knew you would know the * right * answer.

Thanks a heap!

(00)

Last edited:

unclewebb

Not sure if you need this info but someone might.

Here is a video that explains the key combination to get into the MSI advanced BIOS.
Go to the 00:30 second mark for more info.

Not sure if you need this info but someone might.

Here is a video that explains the key combination to get into the MSI advanced BIOS.
Go to the 00:30 second mark for more info.

Yeah, I already knew that, but your right some else might be able to use this info:

Press the Del key when the MSI Shield comes up to get into the MSI Bios

Once inside the MSI Bios:

While holding down Right-Shift
While holding down Right-Ctrl
While holding down Left-Alt

Press F2

( Intel i7-10750 ) After setting IccMax to 255.75
I was able to achieve a stable undervolt of: 140.6 mV
I was also able to get: 151 mV, but it wasn't stable.

(00)

Last edited:

unclewebb

I was able to achieve a stable undervolt of: 140.6 mV
Are you setting the core and cache offset voltages equally? You do not have to do this. Most users with the 8750H and 9750H got their best results by setting the cache offset to -125 mV or -130 mV. A little less cache offset allowed them to undervolt the core much further. Use Cinebench R20 to test this. Software that uses the AVX instructions will show the biggest improvement.

Watch for better performance or better temps when using different voltages.

The 10750H supports Thermal Velocity Boost. This allows the CPU to run faster as long as it is under 70°C. If you clear the TVB option in the FIVR window, this might allow the CPU to continue using TVB boost even when it is over 70°C.

Are you setting the core and cache offset voltages equally? You do not have to do this. Most users with the 8750H and 9750H got their best results by setting the cache offset to -125 mV or -130 mV. A little less cache offset allowed them to undervolt the core much further. Use Cinebench R20 to test this. Software that uses the AVX instructions will show the biggest improvement.

Watch for better performance or better temps when using different voltages.

The 10750H supports Thermal Velocity Boost. This allows the CPU to run faster as long as it is under 70°C. If you clear the TVB option in the FIVR window, this might allow the CPU to continue using TVB boost even when it is over 70°C.

I copy that 8 )

Thanks!

(00)

If you clear the TVB option in the FIVR window, this might allow the CPU to continue using TVB boost even when it is over 70°C.

i7-10750H

I have managed to undervolt the:

CPU Core: -195.3 vM
CPU Cache: -140.6 vM
System Agent: -49.8 vM
Intel GPU: -49.8 vM
iGPU Unslice: -49.8 vM

[FIVR] button

( ThrottleStop v9.3 > ) Miscellaneous:
( ThrottleStop v9.3 > ) [ Unchecked ] Thermal Velocity Boost

(00)

Last edited:
These 2020 MSI GS66 "Advanced BIOS" mods, *REALLY* worked for my i7-10750H. The author said they will work on any 2020, MSI GS66, Intel CPU, model.

This trick's the system into believing its running at a lower wattage, so it won't throttle. You can draw 100W of power and the CPU will only report about 35W.
VERIFIED AND TESTED (on my i7-10750H).

Attachments

• MSI GS66_Advanced BIOS Mods.png
    MSI GS66_Advanced BIOS Mods.png
    487.6 KB · Views: 315
Last edited:
2020 MSI GS66 "Advanced BIOS" mods results:

The CinebenchR23 Score was !! 8807 pts !! The Intel i7-10750H (CPU Multi Core) out performed the: 12C/24T @ 2.7 GHz, Intel Xeon CPU E5-2697 v2

I used the above "Advanced BIOS Mods". (Highest performance and !! TEMPERATURES (97-99C) !!

!! *NO* Undervolt used !! (Highest performance and !! TEMPERATURES (97-99C) !!

!! To get this high, you *must* change the PROCHOT trigger point in (ThrottleStop (FIVR) or [Uncheck] BD PROCHOT !!

Set Speed Shift - EPP 0 SST (to zero)

All Cores Active 43 (You can set this to 50, but this is the highest a *all cores on*, "Multiplier-Locked" CPU can actual *use*)

( ThrottleStop v9.3 > ) [ Unchecked ] V-Max Stress (Not sure, but it didn't hurt any)
( ThrottleStop v9.3 > ) [ Unchecked ] Thermal Velocity Boost (TESTED AND VERIFIED)

*Performance will drop*, but this runs much cooler with a CPU Core+Cache -130 mV Undervolt.

==================================================================

I have also managed to undervolt to:

CPU Core: -1000.0 vM !! MAXED !! (A small decrease in performance, but a 6C-9C drop in temperature)
CPU Cache: -130.6 vM (Rock stable)

[FIVR] button
Under Miscellaneous:
( ThrottleStop v9.3 > ) [ Unchecked ] V-Max Stress
( ThrottleStop v9.3 > ) [ Unchecked ] Thermal Velocity Boost

==================================================================

(00)

Attachments

• CinebenchR23 8807 pts_0mV.png
    CinebenchR23 8807 pts_0mV.png
    646.9 KB · Views: 299
Last edited:

unclewebb

CPU Core: -1000.0 vM
A CPU core undervolt request of -1000 mV is mostly ignored. If your cache is at -130 mV then usually the maximum core is 100 mV more than that so -230 mV for the core. If you use -500 mV or -1000 mV, the majority of that is ignored and the CPU will use -230 mV instead.

If the full -1000 mV was being used, your computer would instantly crash. It needs some voltage. You cannot undervolt all of the voltage away.

[ Unchecked ] Thermal Velocity Boost (Definitely helped)
Good to know. I like free MHz.

A CPU core undervolt request of -1000 mV is mostly ignored. If your cache is at -130 mV then usually the maximum core is 100 mV more than that so -230 mV for the core. If you use -500 mV or -1000 mV, the majority of that is ignored and the CPU will use -230 mV instead.

If the full -1000 mV was being used, your computer would instantly crash. It needs some voltage. You cannot undervolt all of the voltage away.

Yeah, I thought it might be something like that... 8 (

(00)

Last edited:
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!! WARNING !! Do *NOT* [Uncheck] BD PROCHOT !!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's *NOT* worth it. The increase in performance is *negligible*, and your system will probably just lock up or reboot.

(00)

Last edited:

unclewebb

The increase in performance is negligible.
It depends on the computer. The difference in performance can be over 300% on some computers. Some computers are unusable when BD PRCOCHOT is checked. Just because something does not work on your computer does not mean everyone should not use it.

It depends on the computer. The difference in performance can be over 300% on some computers. Some computers are unusable when BD PRCOCHOT is checked. Just because something does not work on your computer does not mean everyone should not use it.

For hardware safety reasons, I do not believe "BD PROCHOT" should be *UNCHECKED*, but I do use the ThrottleStop [Options], "Lock PROCHOT Offset and PROCHOT Offset" function to raise the limit higher (98C)(CPU+Cache -130 undervolt). This is *much* safer for the hardware. And, thank you *very much* for adding it. 8 )

m(_ _)m

I tested this today:
============
CPU Core -230mV \ CPU Cache -130 mV \ CinebenchR23 8704 pts
CPU Core -1000mV \ CPU Cache -130 mV \ CinebenchR23 8704 pts

Exactly the same (⌣̩̩́_⌣̩̩̀)

!!! MSI !!! I NEED MORE *FREE* MHz !!! ლ(ಠ_ಠლ) !!! I'M POOR !!! PLEASE !!!

(00)

Last edited:

unclewebb

For hardware safety reasons, I do not believe "BD PROCHOT" should be *UNCHECKED*
BD PROCHOT and PROCHOT (processor hot) are two different things. If BD PROCHOT is not checked, your computer will still thermal throttle and slow down if the CPU gets too hot. Most people confuse these two things. Most people think that if you disable BD PROCHOT that the CPU might get too hot and it will burn up because it will not thermal throttle anymore. This is not true at all. This is not what BD PROCHOT does.

Your laptop probably does not use BD PROCHOT. Do you ever see BD PROCHOT lighting up red in Limit Reasons? If your computer does not use BD PROCHOT then it will make zero difference whether this box is checked or not checked in ThrottleStop.

CinebenchR23 8704 pts
Sounds like your CPU is running great.

Your laptop probably does not use BD PROCHOT. Do you ever see BD PROCHOT lighting up red in Limit Reasons? If your computer does not use BD PROCHOT then it will make zero difference whether this box is checked or not checked in ThrottleStop.

Hmmm... Probably *not*. As you said, it seems to have *no* effect.

Sounds like your CPU is running great.

Yes, it is. 8 )))

My best score so far was 8807 pts, but I can't remember how I got there...

For a "BestBuy $1099 US" laptop, this laptop is !! INCREDIBLE !! \(`0´)/ !!

144 Hz Anti-Glare 315 nits screen (Nice, but I wish it was at least 400 nits)

*Per-Key* RGB keyboard (The color of *each key* can be separately changed to either red, blue, green, white, yellow, etc... (I will never buy another computer without this feature again. It is seriously underrated)

All Black Metal Case (Lite, hard and very dark )

i7-10750H (4.2 GHz)(6 Cores) (I like the "Single-Core Performance" and 6 Cores, but I hate the amount of power this CPU draws. That will be my *next* laptop project)

16GB Ram (I will upgrade it later to 32GB for a Ram-Disk)

Nvidia RTX 2060 (80W)(Max-P) (I wish it were a 115W Super !!! WATTS IS KING !!!)

WD 512GB M.2 (with room for a second M.2)

99.9 WHr battery (!! HUGE !!) (This was the reason, I initially bought this laptop)

180W Charger (I wish it were a 230W)

Extras:
====

A unlocked OC Bios (i7-10750 does not allow for CPU Multipler or Voltage (I think ???) All of the Intel CPU's should be OC capable, because there "Price to Performance\Per-Watt" is disgusting!

ThunderBolt3 65W-100W C-Charger Port (Left-Side Only) TESTED and VERIFIED)

Windows 10 Hello Support (Face Recognition)

!!! AND IT LOOKS INCREDIBLE !!!

ahhh... sorry... i was gone for a while, but i'm back now... ( ・_・;)

I noticed that after a couple of weeks the fans started to sound smoother and less high pitched. So, I've been running them hard and long on Cooler Boost.
The volume isn't the problem, it's the high pitched sound they make. V e r y i r r i t a t i n g a n d a n n o y i n g . . .

The reviewers have been *far to kind* on these speakers. Totally unusable. There loud, but they sound like total 100% crap. No amount of tuning or software is going to fix this audio problem.
If I were the MSI CEO, I would fire all of my Audio Engineers, and hire the Acer or Apple Audio Engineers. *Except*, I am 100% certain, MSI does *NOT* have any Audio Engineers!
That's why there audio sounds like 100% crap! Electronic and Audio Engineers are *NOT* the same! Audio Engineers are trained in different types of physics, etc...
They are specialized, very expensive and hard to find.

i know... i know... i'm back again... ( ・_・;)

(00)
!! CinebenchR23: 8807 pts !!

Attachments

• CinebenchR23 8807 pts_0mV.png
    CinebenchR23 8807 pts_0mV.png
    646.9 KB · Views: 266
Last edited:

Vathank

I have the same model and spec with the OP but i want to know if it okay if i set iccmax to maxium as you mention for daily use. And can this settings damage my motherboard or cpu?

_I undervolted -120mv core and -100mv cache, but it's not stable when iccmax sit at 165A.
_After i set iccmax to maximum, i do 30min stress test with cinebecnh r23 and had no issue.

unclewebb

can this settings damage my motherboard or cpu?
No one in any forum can guarantee the safety of your hardware. If you think trying to run your CPU at its full rated speed is a bad idea, do not do it.

I do not like CPU throttling so I always set IccMax to 255.75.

AlessioC

this bios advanced "tricks" can works on MSI GP66 Leopard with an a i7 10750H and an RTX 3070 (130 W) inside? 'Cause I'm quite curios, if they can work even on this model too, well is quite interesting to see what improvements they can bring, and if those numbers are real getting that score is something crazy for a i7 10750H, and if the loss of perfomance is minimal even lowering a bit the offset voltage to gain some more degrees is quite interesting too.

So Far I reached a:
- -125.0 mV on the CPU Core
- -80.1 mV on the CPU cache (anything below this crush the system)
- unchecked TVB (even if it was already unchecked somehow)

Was thinking to do:
-Set ICC to a value of 200 and see what happens
-Try to lower a little bit more the offset value of Core to see where is it stable

EDIT:
Lowered the value of the core to -150.4 and seems pretty stable and temperature are good, and I have set the turbo ratio of the every core to 3.6 GHz (except for the first and the second core set each to 4.0 GHz and 3.8 GHz), this have give me a good (at last I think is good) 2676 as score on Cinebench, a lot more of the stack score, if I increase the GHz of every core to 3.8 I get 2850 as a score (but temps go a way too high too fast :shadedshu: ).
That's all I get without touching Bios actually, only with Throttlestop.

Last edited:

unclewebb

Set ICC to a value of 200
I always recommend setting this to the max, 255.75. Intel CPUs run just fine without multiple sets of throttling limits all overlapping each other.

except for the first and the second core
The turbo multipliers can be adjusted based on how many cores are active. That is a little different than being able to set the multiplier individually for specific cores.

but temps go a way too high too fast
ThrottleStop lets you decide how fast and how hot you want to run your CPU. I have a desktop computer so I prefer maximum performance. If you have a laptop burning its way through your lap, reducing performance a little to reduce heat is not such a bad idea.

You get those scores with the right settings. But, you must also run CinebenchR23 tests *all day* long. A weird thing happens to the the CPU after it's been heated and cooled repeatedly. You actually need to increase the voltage or you may get a blue screen lockup. Because it now *needs* more voltage. But, it well still stay cool. The PL1: 65W, PL2 72W_128secs setting kept the CPU performance high without throttling. I could not believe it, when I saw the temperature topped out at: 90C! It had been *throttling* at: 97C all day long...

This was my best score so far with a 2 minute speed run:

!!! I NEED MORE *FREE* MHz !!! ლ(ಠ_ಠლ) !!!

Attachments

• !! THE WINNER !! 8891pts_44T_(CoolerBoost=ON)_65W-72W 128sec_165A_-1000_-115_No TVB_90C.png
    !! THE WINNER !! 8891pts_44T_(CoolerBoost=ON)_65W-72W 128sec_165A_-1000_-115_No TVB_90C.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 164
Last edited:

AlessioC

Well with the normal 10 mins run with actual settings I get a score of 6871 on R23 (I think is good?) and temps doesn't go over 96° C, that's quite a success, I will see if I can get a little more without touching the bios.

EDIT
Quick question:
- I noticed a weird thing, there are 2 cores that keep overheating and are a lot above the others, like 8-10°C above the others, they keep temperature like 98° C and the others get to a maximum of 89-93° C is that normal? Those two keeps this temps constantly if the cpu is under stress. (I have made a little modification all the cores are set to a maximum speed of 4.0 GHz in the FIVR panel)

EDIT 2
-With those settings and your TPL I get 7308 points as a score on 10 mins run of R23
-Tried even to lower a little bit the cache but this cpu seems to do not like any value below -80.1, even the -85, get me an instant freeze of the system and I have to shut down manually and restart it again, will see if I can get a little more extra from the core at last is pretty stable at -150 mV maybe I can take a little more extravolt out of it .

Quick Question 2:
-Do you think that is worth a try the tips of the Bios for best perfomance on this model or not?

EDIT 3
-Nope this value seems the max I can get -150mV Core and -80.1 Cache, values below this seems to have problem in my cpu, so I keep them, at last I was able to reach a stable not too hot and pretty well undervolted settings.
-I was wondering if the value, your value, I put in in the TPL can have somehow slowed down a little bit the cpu, cause it seems to me that is a little more slow on processing, at last it is an impression, but maybe it is related to three consecutive manual shutdown of the computer due to system freeze, 'cause after I have restarted the computer in the proper manner it seems to work fine. For proper manner I mean through windows with the restart option

ThrottleStop lets you decide how fast and how hot you want to run your CPU. I have a desktop computer so I prefer maximum performance. If you have a laptop burning its way through your lap, reducing performance a little to reduce heat is not such a bad idea.
How do you actually set this? Maybe is what I was searching for.

Quick Question 3
-I Have noticed that right now with this settings, even if I have set core speed to all the cores to a maximum of 4.0 GHz the cpu doesn't keep this up for a long time, almost only few seconds, and as soon it reaches 95°C it slowdown to value that get to 3.6-3.7 GHz and it stay there constantly at a temperature of 95° C, what I did wrong?
-May be the Dragon Center to prevent me achieve some good result?

Last edited:
EDIT
Quick question:
- I noticed a weird thing, there are 2 cores that keep overheating and are a lot above the others, like 8-10°C above the others, they keep temperature like 98° C and the others get to a maximum of 89-93° C is that normal? Those two keeps this temps constantly if the cpu is under stress. (I have made a little modification all the cores are set to a maximum speed of 4.0 GHz in the FIVR panel)
Yeah, that's normal. Some of the cores your seeing are actually just "Hyper-Threads". There CPUs being *emulated* on the Real Cores, like those *2 Real Cores* that are hotter than the others. But, there useful and actually work. The problems is they cause more *heat* to be generated in the *Real Cores* and use more power.

-With those settings and your TPL I get 7308 points as a score on 10 mins run of R23
-Tried even to lower a little bit the cache but this cpu seems to do not like any value below -80.1, even the -85, get me an instant freeze of the system and I have to shut down manually and restart it again, will see if I can get a little more extra from the core at last is pretty stable at -150 mV maybe I can take a little more extravolt out of it .
Yeah, my i7-10750H is:
================
CPU -160 mV
Cache -80 mV
IccMax 255.75 A

Quick Question 2:
-Do you think that is worth a try the tips of the Bios for best perfomance on this model or not?
The Advanced MSI Bios is really nice. It's already setup for performance. But, if you decide to make your laptop quieter or save more power, there's *a lot* of stuff in there you could use.

-I was wondering if the value, your value, I put in in the TPL can have somehow slowed down a little bit the cpu, cause it seems to me that is a little more slow on processing,
Yeah, it's defiantly possible, that's one of the things I play with a lot. My current *Performance* [TPL] Power Settings are:
================
MMIO [Locked]
Sync MMIO [Checked]
PL1 130W [Clamped]
PL2 130W [Clamped]
128 secs

Have noticed that right now with this settings, even if I have set core speed to all the cores to a maximum of 4.0 GHz the cpu doesn't keep this up for a long time, almost only few seconds, and as soon it reaches 95°C it slowdown to value that get to 3.6-3.7 GHz and it stay there constantly at a temperature of 95° C, what I did wrong?
Oh, that's caused by too much heat... The Bain of CPUs everywhere. My "Favorite UncleWebb" says it's called "Thermal Throttling". It's activated when your CPU hits it's "PROCHOT Offset" value. Mine is currently set to 95C right now. Which is fine for testing and short bursts. ThrottleStop can change this value too. It's under the [Options] button. I usually drop mine to 70C or 80C for a cool and quiet laptop. It's one of my favorite ThrottleStop features. And, it fixes a lot of problems easily.

My MSI GS66 has a powerful third fan feature called: Cooler Boost. That's one of the reasons why I can achieve a higher CinebenchR23 score.

Later.

(00)

Last edited: