• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

i7-10750h stuck at 3 ghz / 30 multiplier

gentlemantroll

Hi guys!

I've unlocked undervolting on my legion 5i, but I'm struggling with the turbo boost not kicking in at all.

Before I had an issue where the system would only slightly boost and sometime boost up to 4.3 ghz, but now it never happens. (Tried cinebench, Cod: Warzone, Rendering 4k video).

The issue is there even if I don't run throttlestop (disable undervolt).

Any ideas? Attaching my throttlestop settings.

Attachments

• Uten navn.png
    Uten navn.png
    226.9 KB · Views: 1,072
  • Uten navn2.png
    Uten navn2.png
    141.6 KB · Views: 763

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
In the Turbo Power Limits window, Speed Shift Max is set to 30. That is why your CPU is only using the 30 multiplier. That setting is telling your CPU to throttle.

The Range box shows the correct values for your CPU.
Set Speed Shift Min to 1 and set Speed Shift Max to 50.

For your Intel GPU undervolt either a) do not bother or b) undervolt both the Intel GPU and the iGPU Unslice equally. If you only undervolt one of these it will not do anything. Some people are not able to undervolt the CPU as much when undervolting the Intel GPU. It might not be worth it.

gentlemantroll

Thanks!

I'm still wondering why it was locked when I turned TS off and closed the program?

Even before trying TS I struggled with the multiplier being stuck at 34 - the reason why I tried TS in the first place.

Will run new tests now.

unclewebb

why it was locked when I turned TS off and closed the program?
ThrottleStop does not reset your CPU when you exit the program. Whatever changes you made to your CPU are left as is.

If you ever need to go back to default settings, exit ThrottleStop, delete the ThrottleStop.INI configuration file and completely shutdown your computer. When you start back up, ThrottleStop will create a new .INI configuration file. The initial settings that ThrottleStop uses are read from the CPU.

Do you remember changing the Speed Shift Max value? It is possible that your computer did not set this correctly or worse, your computer might change this value while you are using your computer. My Lenovo laptop disables Intel Turbo Boost when it detects that the Nvidia GPU is active. Luckily ThrottleStop has a fix for this problem.

Turn the Log File option on in ThrottleStop. It does a great job of keeping track of your CPU performance when gaming. If your computer is adjusting its speed while in game, it should be able to detect the problem. When you are finished testing, exit your game and then exit ThrottleStop. Your log file will be in your ThrottleStop / Logs folder. Attach one to your next post if you want me to have a look at it. Try to have at least 15 minutes of data.

gentlemantroll

Thanks! I'm learning so much, but still struggling a lot with my cpu, will try the log file option before I go any further.

It should outperform my GPU, but that's not the case atm. (Legion 5i)

2-3 cores thermal throttle under high load, even when I lower the power limit and/or downlock 0.5-1 ghz.

Will do a new high load session and post both TS settings + hwinfo later today.

gentlemantroll

So I'm struggling with performance dips. I will drop 20-30% of my fps in Warzone (cpu bound game).

And I can't really figure out the problem. Seems like I'm power throttling, but not sure how I can handle it? I have tried downclocking a bit and undervolted a lot. (cpu undervolt -200, cache - 55)

Attachments

• 11111n.png
    11111n.png
    114.5 KB · Views: 192
  • 111n.png
    111n.png
    153.8 KB · Views: 228
  • 11n.png
    11n.png
    137.3 KB · Views: 216
  • 5n.png
    5n.png
    112.9 KB · Views: 195
  • 4n.png
    4n.png
    106.4 KB · Views: 177
  • 3n.png
    3n.png
    109.9 KB · Views: 134
  • 2n.png
    2n.png
    109.9 KB · Views: 158
  • 1n.png
    1n.png
    114.2 KB · Views: 166

unclewebb

..will try the log file option before I go any further.
I can see that you checked the Log File option but you did not attach a log file to your last post. Where is it? You should see your log file in the ThrottleStop / Logs folder.

Screenshots are good but they are only a snapshot of how your CPU was running for 1 second. If you are having problems while in the middle of a game then I need to see a log file. It will show me how your CPU and GPU are performing in game and whether there are any power limit or thermal throttling problems holding your CPU back.

When your computer is idle, what does it report for C0%? The screenshot you posted above shows 28.9%. I hope that is not an idle screenshot.

The 10750H has a 45W TDP rating.

When you or the manufacturer decide to run a 45W CPU at 60W, it is going to run hot. Your heatsink and fan are barely adequate at this power level. Some occasional thermal throttling should be expected. If your heatsink cannot handle dissipating 75W for 28 seconds then consider reducing the turbo time limit. Maybe your heatsink can only handle 75W for 8 seconds or less so adjust the turbo time limit appropriately or reduce the 75W value.

PROCHOT Offset is set to 6 in the Options window. The Intel default for this setting is 0. If you do not see a Lock icon near this setting then you could lower the PROCHOT Offset value to 0 or 1 or 2. This will raise the thermal throttling temperature and will give you a little more headroom before thermal throttling begins. When you find a value you like, check the Lock PROCHOT Offset option so nothing interferes with this setting.

You are already using the Turbo Ratio Limits to control your maximum CPU speed. No need to also use Speed Shift Max. Set Speed Shift Max to 50.

Check the FIVR - Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits option. This prevents some types of throttling.

The Intel GPU is not used when gaming. Why did you decide to undervolt this? As long as it does not cause instability it is OK to undervolt the Intel GPU but it does not really accomplish much. Sometimes this can interfere with your CPU undervolt.

Your cache is offset to -55 mV. Did you try to go further? Some 10th Gen are still stable at -75 mV or -80 mV. Did you do some Cinebench R20 testing when setting your voltages? What sort of scores are you getting? It is a good test so you can compare your overall performance against other similar processors. Set your turbo ratios back to their default values before testing and turn on the Log File option.

Last edited:

gentlemantroll

Sorry here is the log file.

Thanks for a lot of great input! I've struggled with going lower on the cache voltage. But will try to go a bit further and disable the igpu and add the igpu undervolt just for my battery save profile.

Will also do some more cinebench testing.

I have no idea why the prochot offset was set to 6 and try to limit the turbo to 55w/60w.

Will come back and give an update :)

Thank you so much!

Attachments

• 2020-11-23.txt
    3.1 MB · Views: 121

unclewebb

here is the log file
I like seeing lots of numbers but when you attach 12 hours worth of data, how am I supposed to figure out what you were doing and when? If you are having a problem with a specific game, tell me what time you started playing, what time you finished and what time you were having any FPS issues. That way I can look at the log file and try to figure out what was going on. You can also delete the previous log file before you start playing so the new log file only contains relevant information. Half an hour or an hour of data is reasonable. 12 hours of data is "too much information".

Between 4 PM and 7 PM it appears you were playing. The CPU is running consistently during that time. There is some occasional power limit throttling at the 50W level but the CPU is barely slowing down when this happens. The GPU mostly runs at 1700 MHz to 1800 MHz. There are some times when the GPU drops down to 960 MHz but I have no idea what you are doing when this happens. Maybe you paused the game to go get something to eat or to go to the bathroom or did an ALT+TAB out to the desktop to check on something. Not sure.

CPU wise, everything is OK. Temperatures are mostly under 90°C so there was no thermal throttling and the power limit throttling was insignificant. The CPU is mostly in the 3.9 GHz to 4.1 GHz range while playing. No issues with the CPU running at 3 GHz.

no idea why the prochot offset was set to 6
Some manufacturers set PROCHOT Offset very conservatively. Forcing thermal throttling to start early is the cheapest way for them to create a cooler running laptop. Intel says this is not necessary. If this is not locked by the manufacturer, you can use ThrottleStop to set this however you like.

gentlemantroll

Ok thanks, my laptop runs a lot more stable while editing now. So thank you!

I still have some issues with fps drops in COD Warzone, and the cpu lagging behind the gpu. Starting to wonder if the game is just extremely poorly optimized.

Will try more settings today. Should I deselect Prochot offset in options or have it checked and set to 0? And should I uncheck BD prochot?

CSTATE
Another issue, hopefully my last is the cstate. Here is the high performance profile cstate.

And here is cstate with silent mode, battery power profile and throttlestop batter saver.

Not sure if its normal that the first core is working this much? I've tried turning off all background apps.

EDIT: My second post got combined with my first two:

CINEBENCH at 60 w and 70 w
So the post now contains two cinebench benchmarks.

The first one. Cinebench1 is:

Cinebench R23 with 4.5 ghz and 60w turbo boost

The second one:

Cinebench R23 with TBPL at 70/80 w. Multipliers at highest multipliers 5.0ghz-4.3ghz. Log and hw info attached - only for the second one.

GPU / Curve
Another question is the gpu: rtx 2060 locked at 80watts. I've been advised to add a curve in MSI Afterburner, but since the laptop won't let me undervolt my gpu it seems to run quite hot. And not even sure if this curve will have any effect. Does anyone know?

Attachments

• cstaten.png
    cstaten.png
    35.3 KB · Views: 217
  • cstate2.png
    cstate2.png
    35.2 KB · Views: 216
  • cinebench1_2511.png
    cinebench1_2511.png
    2 MB · Views: 202
  • ts_cinebench1_2511.png
    ts_cinebench1_2511.png
    107 KB · Views: 209
  • cinebench 2 - 70w - all multipliers.png
    cinebench 2 - 70w - all multipliers.png
    2 MB · Views: 187
  • Second cinebench_70w_hwinfo 2.png
    Second cinebench_70w_hwinfo 2.png
    120.5 KB · Views: 148
  • Second cinebench_70w_hwinfo 1.png
    Second cinebench_70w_hwinfo 1.png
    518.4 KB · Views: 156
  • Second cinebench_70w_TS_LOG.txt
    63.9 KB · Views: 94
  • ts _ second cinebench 70w.png
    ts _ second cinebench 70w.png
    120.5 KB · Views: 154
  • rtx2060.png
    rtx2060.png
    370.2 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:

unclewebb

and the cpu lagging behind the gpu.
What does this mean?

Are you using any core parking software on your computer? Some task is being forced onto the first thread of the first core of your CPU. I have no idea what software is running on your computer. Last time I saw this issue I think it was caused by some gaming improvement software running in the background. Some magic software that is going to free up your memory and make your CPU run extra fast. A program with some sort of Game Mode option. Any software like that running on your computer? Not ThrottleStop. It does not need to make any false claims like some programs do.

In the far right column in your log file it shows XPRO a few times. This is the worst kind of throttling. XPRO stands for external processor hot. It allows other sensors within your computer to tell the CPU that it is hot whether the CPU is hot or not. This tricks the CPU and forces it to immediately throttle. Limit Reasons shows this as BD PROCHOT. Different names for the same thing. When this happens, the CPU will drop down to 800 MHz. This can result in significant stutters while gaming. I did not design your laptop so I have no idea what external sensors are allowed to trigger this type of throttling. It might be a temperature sensor near the voltage regulators or maybe a sensor near the keyboard. Some manufacturers will protect your hands by throttling the CPU to death.

One of your screenshots shows that you have BD PROCHOT checked and the other one shows that BD PROCHOT is not checked. When this box is not checked, the CPU will ignore any external throttling signals. Your laptop will not have these sudden drops to 800 MHz but clearing this box could damage your laptop. Without knowing what type of sensor is triggering this throttling, there is no way I can advise you one way or the other. The voltage regulators usually send separate signals to the CPU if they are too hot or consuming too much power.

gentlemantroll

In Warzone the CPU (9-12 ms) has a higher refresh time than the gpu (6-8 ms).

Seems I'm not able to doo much about the throttling, but I have been able to undervolt the cpu core to -250 mv, and the cache to -70mv. I get bluescreen if I go further with the cache, but the core seems to be quite complacent - so will try running at -250 today and if it works out ok I will try -270 tomorrow. Not sure if there is a limit I should stop before?

Cstate: I'm able to get core 1 to 7% C0% if I exit Intelligent standby list cleaner ISLC - which is the only background gaming program I use. Not sure if thats an ok c-state? or should I start looking for hidden bloatware? (lenovo legion 5)

unclewebb

Your computer seems to have something constantly running on that first core. There is no way I can track down what you have installed. The Resource Monitor might help. All I know is that it must be something. Here is how an idle computer normally looks for C0 activity. It is fairly well balanced from core to core.

I have never used Intelligent Standy List Cleaner so I am not sure if it is good or bad. What Lenovo software do you have installed?

When undervolting the core more than the cache, you have to run a program like Cinebench R20 to verify that your changes are actually doing something. If you get the same benchmark score and same temperature with the core at -150 mV or -200 mV then there is no point in changing this. Only adjust the core further if you can verify that it is making some sort of positive difference. Some people do not bother testing. Whether it is set at -250 mV or -500 mV will result in the same voltage. The excess request is ignored by the CPU.