• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

i7-8750H CPU not throttling down and always force shutdown

8R1X927

Hello!

I have this problem in my laptop with i7-8750H CPU that when i am using it under heavy load or doing Cinebench 15, TS Bench (1024M) it always force shutdown / restart instead of throttling down. Sometimes it would succeed to finish the Cinebench but most of the time it will force restart. During this restart, it would force restart again when it reached the log in display, it would continue like this unless I turned it off for about 5 mins then turned on and it would work normally.

I have also noticed that during the force restart, if i removed the AC adapter and let it boot on battery the force restart loop will not happen.

I have done another TS Bench at 256M and it force restart again also, i have attached the screenshot of the limit reasons after this. I noticed that BDPROCHOT got yellow status even if i unchecked this on the settings.

What do you think is the problem and any suggestions to troubleshoot?

I have attached screenshots of my Throttestop settings and log files for your reference.

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• TS FIVR.JPG
    TS FIVR.JPG
    162.1 KB · Views: 182
  • TS Limit Reasons after TS Bench 256M.JPG
    TS Limit Reasons after TS Bench 256M.JPG
    103.6 KB · Views: 171
  • TS main settings.JPG
    TS main settings.JPG
    120.7 KB · Views: 181
  • TS Options.JPG
    TS Options.JPG
    140.6 KB · Views: 185
  • TS TPL.JPG
    TS TPL.JPG
    99.8 KB · Views: 175
System Name Hp Omen 15 2019
Processor i7-9750H
Motherboard Intel Cannon Point HM370, Intel Coffee Lake-H
Cooling HP THERMAL MODULE N18E G2
Memory SK hynix HMA81GS6JJR8N-VK x2
Video Card(s) nVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 with Max-Q Design (HP)
Storage Intel Optane H10
Display(s) AUO82ED
Audio Device(s) SPDIF Interface (FiiO USB DAC-E10)
Power Supply 200w
maybe this is unrelated but ¿Are you using the original power adapter/brick that came with your laptop? ¿is it in good condition? ¿does it get really really hot when you stress your cpu?

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Try decreasing the CPU Core V offset to 125
Your screenshots show it is power limited.

Last edited:

8R1X927

maybe this is unrelated but ¿Are you using the original power adapter/brick that came with your laptop? ¿is it in good condition? ¿does it get really really hot when you stress your cpu?
Yes, i am using the original power adapter and temperature wise i think its normal for it to get hot. I will check again the temperature of the power adapter when i try to stress test again.

Try decreasing the CPU Core V offset to 125
Your screenshots show it is power limited.
Still the same result.

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
could be a bug from the app/windows, have you updated the OS to the latest?

System Name Hp Omen 15 2019
Processor i7-9750H
Motherboard Intel Cannon Point HM370, Intel Coffee Lake-H
Cooling HP THERMAL MODULE N18E G2
Memory SK hynix HMA81GS6JJR8N-VK x2
Video Card(s) nVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 with Max-Q Design (HP)
Storage Intel Optane H10
Display(s) AUO82ED
Audio Device(s) SPDIF Interface (FiiO USB DAC-E10)
Power Supply 200w
I would suggest the following:

- Delete your TS ini - then reboot - and start all over again, it seems (maybe I'm wrong, but your 8750H is not that different from a 9750H) that you have modified several default values that TS reads from your bios. That makes troubleshooting quite complicated because you are adding more variables to this problem.

- Set your power profile to performance in Windows (power slider and classic control panel - power options) and also with the software bundled with your laptop (eg: omen command center, alienware command center, etc)

- Try to use a laptop stand/cooler or something to elevate it and keep its intakes free from obstructions

- Run cinebench r20 multicore - it doesn't matter what scores you get - and see if you are still having those hard reboots/crashes, because if you do, then your laptop came faulty from its origin. Some people experience that a badly applied thermal pad over the vrms or mosfets might lead to sudden shutdowns or reboots, that also might happen if your thermal paste is not evenly covering or even covering your cpu die, there might be pump out effect.

- Check your gpu temps, bd prochot might trigger from that point, or could be a faulty/disconnected sensor. ¿have you recently repasted this laptop? it could be that you didn't do a good job there.

- If there are no crashes then move to a fresh start in TS and focus only in undervolting cpu Core and cpu Cache. Do not modify any other parameter, let TS read the defaults given by your bios/laptop command center.

8R1X927

I would suggest the following:

- Delete your TS ini - then reboot - and start all over again, it seems (maybe I'm wrong, but your 8750H is not that different from a 9750H) that you have modified several default values that TS reads from your bios. That makes troubleshooting quite complicated because you are adding more variables to this problem.

- Set your power profile to performance in Windows (power slider and classic control panel - power options) and also with the software bundled with your laptop (eg: omen command center, alienware command center, etc)

- Try to use a laptop stand/cooler or something to elevate it and keep its intakes free from obstructions

- Run cinebench r20 multicore - it doesn't matter what scores you get - and see if you are still having those hard reboots/crashes, because if you do, then your laptop came faulty from its origin. Some people experience that a badly applied thermal pad over the vrms or mosfets might lead to sudden shutdowns or reboots, that also might happen if your thermal paste is not evenly covering or even covering your cpu die, there might be pump out effect.

- Check your gpu temps, bd prochot might trigger from that point, or could be a faulty/disconnected sensor. ¿have you recently repasted this laptop? it could be that you didn't do a good job there.

- If there are no crashes then move to a fresh start in TS and focus only in undervolting cpu Core and cpu Cache. Do not modify any other parameter, let TS read the defaults given by your bios/laptop command center.
I did all of the things you have suggested but still the same result. I have already bring back the unit to the reseller for servicing. Luckily, the warranty is still valid.

I will update you all when i get the unit back.

Thanks for all your suggestions. Cheers!

System Name Gaming PC/ EDU PC/ HFS PC
Processor Intel i9-9900KF/ Dual Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard Asrock Z390 Taichi Ultimate/ Dual Asrock X370 Proffesional Gaming
Cooling Noctua NH-C14S/ Arctic Xtreme Freezer/ Ryzen Wraith Prysm RGB
Memory 64GB Corsair Vengeance PRO RGB 3200/ 32GB Corsair Dominator 3000/ 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra / MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus / EVGA GTX 1060 SC Gaming
Storage Dual 970 EVO Plus 1TB + 6Tb 860 EVO/ 960 EVO 500GB + 18Tb R0/ 840EVO 250Gb + 16Tb R0
Display(s) Samsung 32" U32R590 Curved 3480x2160 / Samsung 32" LC32H711 Curved 2560x1440 Freesync
Case Cooler Master Stacker 830 NV Edition/ Dual Cooler Master 690 Advance II
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Surround 5.1 SBX/ Creative X-Fi Titanium Pci-E/ On-board Realtek
Power Supply Triple Corsair Platinum HX850i
Mouse Logitech G7 WL / Logitech G903 Lightspeed / MS BT 8000
Keyboard Dual Logitech G19s
Software Win10 Pro
as i said before - gaming laptops are unsuccesful attempt for a gaming pc.