• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

i7-9750h 98°C Undervolt unsuccessfully

System Name Avell G1550MUV
Processor i7-9750h
Motherboard TONGFANG
Memory 16GB 2666mhz SK Hynix
Video Card(s) 1660ti mobile
Storage SSD M.2 480GB
Mouse Redragon King Cobra
first I'm sorry for the bad english, i'm from brazil, i have this avell g1550muv (tongfang gk5c) i7-9750h + 1660ti and i am not having success with undervolt, my temperatures are very high, i would like a help to reach a lower temperature
complement: I know that there are several and several posts about undervolt of this i7-9750h, but even reading all of them and watching several and several videos, I still don't know how to solve this
fivr.png
limit.png

Last edited:

freeagent

Staff member
System Name Altered Beast
Processor AMD R9 5900X/5800X3D
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, 1x T30
Memory 2x8 G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3200C14, 2x8GB G.Skill Trident Z Black and White 3200 C14
Video Card(s) Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC
Storage WD SN850X 2TB, SN850 1TB, SN770 1TB - Asus Hyper M.2, 2x SN770 1TB
Display(s) LG 50UP7100
Case Fractal Torrent Compact RGB
Audio Device(s) JBL 2.1 Deep Bass
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 750w G+, Monster HDP1800
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Logitech G213
VR HMD Oculus 3
Software Yes
Benchmark Scores Yes
I had an ibm thinkpad with a p4 that ran at 105c in 30c ambient playing need for speed underground. It was awesome.

Processor i7-9750h
Motherboard TONGFANG
Storage SSD M.2 480GB

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
@Kimb - Your screenshot shows that there is an almost 20°C difference in the peak core temperatures. This usually means your heatsink is not making proper contact with the CPU. Your undervolt is working OK but it is not going to fix anything if there is a problem with the heatsink or how it was installed.

The 9750H runs extremely hot. The heatsink installation has to be perfect. If you want this done correctly, you have to disassemble your laptop, have a very close look at the heatsink and make sure it is perfectly square to the CPU. Learn how to do this yourself. Do not depend on someone else. Search Google and find out what is the best thermal interface material for a laptop CPU. Some stuff that works great on desktop CPUs does not work very well on laptops. Some stuff will quickly pump out and within a week, you will have temperature problems again.

Edit - Your ThrottleStop settings show that you have Speed Shift - EPP checked on the main screen. This is not doing anything because Speed Shift is not yet enabled. If you want to use Speed Shift you have to check the Speed Shift option in the TPL window. Most modern laptops enable Speed Shift automatically but it looks like your laptop BIOS does not do this. Either that or the Speed Shift option is not enabled in the BIOS.

Last edited:
Processor i7-9750h
Motherboard TONGFANG
Storage SSD M.2 480GB
@Kimb - Your screenshot shows that there is an almost 20°C difference in the peak core temperatures. This usually means your heatsink is not making proper contact with the CPU. Your undervolt is working OK but it is not going to fix anything if there is a problem with the heatsink or how it was installed.

The 9750H runs extremely hot. The heatsink installation has to be perfect. If you want this done correctly, you have to disassemble your laptop, have a very close look at the heatsink and make sure it is perfectly square to the CPU. Learn how to do this yourself. Do not depend on someone else. Search Google and find out what is the best thermal interface material for a laptop CPU. Some stuff that works great on desktop CPUs does not work very well on laptops. Some stuff will quickly pump out and within a week, you will have temperature problems again.

Edit - Your ThrottleStop settings show that you have Speed Shift - EPP checked on the main screen. This is not doing anything because Speed Shift is not yet enabled. If you want to use Speed Shift you have to check this option in the TPL window. Most modern laptops enable Speed Shift automatically but it looks like your laptop BIOS does not do this. Either that or the Speed Shift option is not enabled in the BIOS.
it has 5 months of use, I sent it to the manufacturer for the same checks, but at the manufacturer the ambient temperature is low (18 ° C) and here it is much hotter (30 ° C), he claimed that with the bios update he had resolved, and there was an exchange of the folder (which I paid for) for artic silver 5

@unclewebb
1593188341300.png

I just enabled the speed shift here @unclewebb
1593188595367.png

unclewebb

he claimed that with the bios update he had resolved
That sounds like a lie. A BIOS update is not going to fix this problem.

Artic Silver 5 is OK on desktop computers. It is not the best thermal paste for laptops. Desktop computers use a heatspreader over top of the CPU cores which laptop computers do not use.

If you have already sent your laptop in for repairs and they did not fix it properly, you will have to learn how to do this yourself. If you want maximum performance from your computer, this has to be done properly, especially when you are trying to cool a hot running laptop in a 30°C room.

I have the same CPU. Tried with Arctic 5 - 2 weeks later thermals again. With proper paste (for me it was Noctua HT-H2, very thin and even layer) and ThrottleStop all was fixed. When you see difference in cores above 10-15 C it's definitely bad heat transfer between CPU and heat sync. Reapply paste and do it propper way. Do it yourself, not through RMA, cause they're not using good pastes. Mine was RMA-ed for another reason and this did not help. In TS try with approximately -200 mV offset for Core and -90 mV for Cache.

Processor i7-9750h
Motherboard TONGFANG
Storage SSD M.2 480GB
Without reapplying new thermal paste, nothing can be done. Go ahead and do it. It's a very simple task. I've made 4 attempts before did it the right way with the right paste.

Last edited:

unclewebb

You still have not enabled Speed Shift. You have to put a check mark in the Speed Shift box.

Here is a good YouTube video about thermal paste for laptops. Bob knows his stuff.

Processor i7-9750h
Motherboard TONGFANG
Storage SSD M.2 480GB
guys, I’m going to try to buy 1 thermal grizzly and apply it (I won’t use liquid metal) and test it, but for now I can’t do this, because of what’s happening in the world, stores are closed, for now I’m going to disable turbo boost, I believe that with that the temperatures lower, temporarily, I am already researching on this chassis, and I wanted to ask is it not wrong to leave core and cache with different values?

You have to put a check mark in the Speed Shift box.
I enabled it, as I sent in the prints, as you had asked to do, and I also enabled it in TPL because the bios are not really active

unclewebb

Core and cache at different values is OK. It is recommended.

Do not disable turbo boost. If you want your computer to run cooler, lower the long term turbo power limit. This will force it to power limit throttle instead of thermal throttle.

Processor i7-9750h
Motherboard TONGFANG
Storage SSD M.2 480GB
Do not disable turbo boost. If you want your computer to run cooler, lower the long term turbo power limit. This will force it to power limit throttle instead of thermal throttle.
I don't think I understand how to do that, sorry

Click the TPL button. Look at the upper 3 rows. Do a little research what each value means (PL1, PL2, PP0). That's all.

Last edited:
Processor i7-9750h
Motherboard TONGFANG
Storage SSD M.2 480GB
Click the TPL button. Look at the upper 3 rows. Do some little research what each value mens (PL1, PL2, PP0). That's all.
1593190061013.png

Just lower those power limits until you deal with the thermal throttling. When you reapply your paste, raise them up again.
My laptop is 5 months old too. For this time it gave me quite a headache. After UncleWeb's help and repasting, the CPU is using its full potential. Absolutely no throttling (of any kind) in TS Bench or CinebenchR20. Temp now never exceed 87 degrees C in games or tests (only a couple of peaks to 91, when it was forced with many other tasks during test). It was hitting thermals (95+C) straight from new and after returned from RMA for mobo replacement (faulty sensor, sending constant BD-PROCHOT signal, locking the CPU at 800Mhz). With ThrottleStop it's basically outperforming its pretenders, providing much higher test points compared to others of the same model or similar.

All screenshots right after CB20 test.

Last edited:
Processor i7-9750h
Motherboard TONGFANG
Storage SSD M.2 480GB

Just lower those power limits until you deal with the thermal throttling. When you reapply your paste, raise them up again.
My laptop is 5 months old too. For this time it gave me quite a headache. After UncleWeb's help and repasting, the CPU is using its full potential. Absolutely no throttling (of any kind) in TS Bench or CinebenchR20. Temp now never exceed 87 degrees C in games or tests (only a couple of peaks to 91, when it was forced with many other tasks during test). It was hitting thermals (95+C) straight from new and after returned from RMA for mobo replacement (faulty sensor, sending constant BD-PROCHOT signal, locking the CPU at 800Mhz). With ThrottleStop it's basically outperforming its pretenders, providing much higher test points compared to others of the same model or similar.

All screenshots right after CB20 test.
what an amazing thing, I can't wait to do the repast
I hope to have at least similar results

@AOne do you use cooling pad?

Last edited:

No, but I 3D printed myself two feet to lift the back of the laptop a little bit. Measured and drawn for half an hour and printed for an hour each. Even added some padding underneath, so the whole thing is not sliding on the plot. It doesn't make quite a difference in temps, but at least lets the air flow more freely.

Sick temps. I cant even get there If I want.

My laptop is always sitting in this stand. At night I might get it with me to the bedroom. With stand ofcourse.

Attachments

• ts.PNG
    ts.PNG
    64.1 KB · Views: 581
  • cine.PNG
    cine.PNG
    93.7 KB · Views: 593
  • sssssss.jpg
    sssssss.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 574
Is it ventilated? Does it have fans? If so, is it powered on its own or from a laptop's USB and what's the difference with and without it?

Is it ventilated? Does it have fans? If so, is it powered on its own or from a laptop's USB and what's the difference with and without it?
Yes it is ventilated. I have tested both from usb and from powered usb hub, but I didnt see any difference.

Processor i7-9750h
Motherboard TONGFANG
Storage SSD M.2 480GB
Processor i7-9750h
Motherboard TONGFANG
Storage SSD M.2 480GB
That sounds like a lie. A BIOS update is not going to fix this problem.

Artic Silver 5 is OK on desktop computers. It is not the best thermal paste for laptops. Desktop computers use a heatspreader over top of the CPU cores which laptop computers do not use.

If you have already sent your laptop in for repairs and they did not fix it properly, you will have to learn how to do this yourself. If you want maximum performance from your computer, this has to be done properly, especially when you are trying to cool a hot running laptop in a 30°C room.
1611245021886.png
1611244936352.png

after repast again...

unclewebb

after repast again...
What is your Cinebench R20 score now? Most users get their best Cinebench R20 results with the cache at -125 mV and the core at -200 mV or close to this value. Any software that uses the AVX instructions will benefit from using different voltages. R20 is a good way to test this. Your old score of 2321 is really bad for a 9750H so hopefully it is much better now.