• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

(I7-9750H) Plundervolt question and settings in Throttlestop

duskw4lker

Hello everybody

I've been tweaking my I7-9750h on my HP Omen 15 2019 (2070 rtx max-q, 16 gb ram, optane 32 gb +512 m.2 ssd, 144 hz gsync) using answers from several posts around here, that by the way, you guys are very helpful with everybody, I love it.

I have a couple of questions:

1) I read that the microcode named "0xCA" forced into updates is the one that is disabling undervolting, but my laptop seems to still be able to do it? what?
1.1) I'm running the "F.22 Rev A" bios released in december 2019. In the changelog it says "Fix and enhancements: - Provides improved security."
1.2) I'm still not getting the newest bios "F.25" even though I have automatic updates enabled

2) Can you guys give me some suggestions on my settings? I can run cinebench r20 and get 30XX without thermal throttling. I don't aim to get 3200 or anything, only to get the most while staying within cool temperatures. I've attached some screenshots.

Thank you!!

Attachments

unclewebb

RealTemp Author
It looks like your laptop is running great. You do not need our advice. We should be going to you for advice. :D

The ThrottleStop FIVR monitoring table confirms that under volting is still working just fine on your laptop. I would avoid updating the BIOS. Some users have reported some success by undervolting the CPU core more than the CPU cache. Try leaving the cache at -125 mV and change the core to -150 mV, -175 mV or -200 mV. Run Cinebench and see if there is any improvement in power consumption or CPU temperatures.

A 9750H that can maintain the full 40.00 multiplier while running Cinebench R20 is as good as it gets. You could try bumping up your long turbo power limit to 80W and maybe bump the short limit up to 90W. The amount of throttling during Cinebench looks to be next to nothing so higher power limits will probably not make a huge difference.

Thanks for the pics.

System Name Sager 8378F2-S
Processor Intel i7-10875H
Memory 32 GB DDR4 @ 3200 mhz
Video Card(s) NVIDIA RTX 2070 Super
Storage 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD
Display(s) 17.3" 144 Hz IPS w/ G-Sync
Benchmark Scores 25,314 Firestrike Graphics, 9174 Timespy Graphics, 5507 Port Royal, 4411 Cinebench 20
Those results seem great. My 9750H scores around 2800-2900.

duskw4lker

Thank you guys for your answers. I think I'll settle then with these settings and disable automatic updates.

I will try those settings (increasing short and long power) that unclewebb recommended, but I remember that I once tried going -140 at the core and it crashed, also I noted diminishing returns in terms of clock speed, not entirely sure because once it froze I panicked and never tried beyond -125.

By the way if it helps someone else:

I use the omen command center in performance mode because it raises the power limit to the gpu from 80w to 90w. That is the only reason to keep using that bloatware.
If you uninstall OCC this will happen (applies "default" profile):

1) CPU PL1 = 45w
1.1) CPU PL2 = can't remember, almost sure it locks too at 45w
2) GPU PL = 80w

Hello again!

I tried the following:

• Long power 80w
  • Short power 90w
  • UV: -125 core -125 cache
  • Outcome: almost instantly dropped into PL1 45w plus throttling, I guess this is enforced by bios?

Went back to 75w long & 80w short, and applied uv only to the core -150.4

• Outcome: averaging 84-85°C in package instead of 90°C during Cinebench test (my initial screenshots), now all the readings were at 4000 not 3989-3999... and got 3116 best score yay!
  • I noticed that this laptop could pull 77.5w maximum during this tests while oscillating between 76 and 77.5 almost sustained with some yellow PL2 alerts that disappeared instantly and no thermal throttling at all
So as a final test, after that I tried uv to -170 mV but the max wattage got reduced to around 73.5 :(

I'm quite happy with the results :D

As a final note (if nothing new arises), and if somebody else stumbles with this thread, I now remember why it crashed/froze that time that I panicked: I applied around -140 uv to the cache at the same time as the core.

Attachments

Last edited:

unclewebb

RealTemp Author
So as a final test, after that I tried uv to -170 mV but the max wattage got reduced to around 73.5 :(
As long as your CPU is running at full speed, less power consumption is a good thing. That also helps reduce heat. Why the sad face? This is why people like under volting the CPU core more than the CPU cache.

duskw4lker

As long as your CPU is running at full speed, less power consumption is a good thing. That also helps reduce heat. Why the sad face? This is why people like under volting the CPU core more than the CPU cache.
You were absolutely right. now I went full -200 mV (keeping 75w long & 80 short. EDIT: also tried 80w & 90w same results with no PL drop to 45w) on the core and got:

average temp: package 80°C
clocks: 4000
power: 68w sustained
limits: not even yellow edp other in ring, the panel was clear during the test
score: 3096 (I guess this is never a constant between reruns, or I did something wrong, or windows was running something in the background)

Edit:

now went -250 mV core (80w long & 90w short) and got

Score: 3104,
multiplier: 40
Power: 63-64.5w
limits: same as before, nothing
Average package temp:76-77°C

Honestly I don't know why the variance between scores, but the fact remains: lower voltage -> same clocks -> lower temps

:D :D :D :D

Attachments

Last edited:

unclewebb

RealTemp Author
Happy faces are what I like to see. :D

Some users run Cinebench at a higher Windows priority to squeak out a few more benchmark points. There is always going to be some variation from one run to the next. If you look at some laptop reviews at NotebookCheck, some laptops drop hundreds of points after the first run. That is why they like to run Cinebench in a loop which better shows how a laptop performs long term.

Thanks for confirming that lowering the CPU core voltage more than the CPU cache voltage really does reduce power consumption and heat. That makes you wonder why Intel XTU does not allow a user to do this.

limits: not even yellow edp other in ring, the panel was clear during the test
The holy grail. A 9750H that can run Cinebench R20 without a hint of throttling.
Some laptops with this same CPU are limited by the BIOS to a maximum of 45W. The result is continuous throttling during Cinebench. Not good.

Ender

Hi!
I am reading this and i am baffled :)
@duskw4lker
I did not understand what you did to reach that high Wattage, whatever i do, my wattage always starts at about 65W and then slowly goes down to about 45W. How on Earth did you get sustained > 60W ?
My clock speeds stay at about 3700 after a while if i use your screenshot valius.
I can go down to -0.150 V for core & cache but that does not change much.

Do i need to install ALienware crap or not, i did not get that ?
I am on Bios 1.11 (downgraded after undervolting went POOF) and have windows power settings to "max performance".
What am i missing?

Thanks in any case for the great parameters :)
Ender

P.S: i just reread the 10'th time, may it be my Bios that also clamps down power max? Its a Dell G5 5590

duskw4lker

Hi!
@duskw4lker
I did not understand what you did to reach that high Wattage, whatever i do, my wattage always starts at about 65W and then slowly goes down to about 45W. How on Earth did you get sustained > 60W ?
My clock speeds stay at about 3700 after a while if i use your screenshot valius.

I am on Bios 1.11 (downgraded after undervolting went POOF) and have windows power settings to "max performance".
What am i missing?

Ender

P.S: i just reread the 10'th time, may it be my Bios that also clamps down power max? Its a Dell G5 5590
Hello!

I've no idea how this would work with an Alienware. At least with this Omen 15 it still works as I showed before.

Here are the same settings that I've been using since the last and final benchmark/modifications

:D

Attachments

Ender

Hi!
Thanks, of course you have a Golden CPU able to be UV -0,250 :)
And i guess the power limit is a matter of the Bios which is different here of course.
I guess i have to live with my ~3000 Cinebench...

I noticed you unchecked Speedstep at startup, would you care to share why?

Thanks for the response!

Ender

duskw4lker

Hi!
Thanks, of course you have a Golden CPU able to be UV -0,250 :)
And i guess the power limit is a matter of the Bios which is different here of course.
I guess i have to live with my ~3000 Cinebench...

I noticed you unchecked Speedstep at startup, would you care to share why?

Thanks for the response!

Ender
Because the windows power slider at "best performance" does the same thing. you can check if windows is using speedstep with a value of 0 in the FIVR window. If it doesn't, then use the speedstep with throttlestop :)

Edit: I meant Speed Shift. you mean Speed Shift right?. AFAIK Speedstep is not used anymore because Speed Shift replaces it

Attachments

Last edited:
Processor i5-9600K@4.7GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390-UD
Cooling CoolerMaster
Memory 16 Gb G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3600CL16
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX2070 Super Windforce 3X OC
Storage 512 Gb Intel P660 NVMe + 1 Tb WD Blue
Display(s) MSi Optix MAG241C + Samsung C24RG50
Case Corsair Carbide SPEC-06
Power Supply Corsair CV650
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer Ornata Chroma
Benchmark Scores 3dMark TimeSpy - 9160 (CPU 5961 - GPU 10119) Cinebench R20 - 2960
Hi!
@duskw4lker

What am i missing?

Ender

Hi,
until a month ago I had a G7 7790, which I think is quite similar to your G5.
Choosing Performance in the Power Profiles I had PL2 of 90W and PL1 of 60W, which is perfect.
Try to do that.

I removed Alienware crapware from the notebook and installed ThrottleStop and MSI Afterburner. That's all you need.
-125 mV core and cache is just fine: you could try even more for the core, but it doesn't change much.

Ender

Hi,
until a month ago I had a G7 7790, which I think is quite similar to your G5.
Choosing Performance in the Power Profiles I had PL2 of 90W and PL1 of 60W, which is perfect.
Try to do that.

I removed Alienware crapware from the notebook and installed ThrottleStop and MSI Afterburner. That's all you need.
-125 mV core and cache is just fine: you could try even more for the core, but it doesn't change much.
YEs, i just have done removing the crap and i switched to power mode, thanks!
It seems its stable with cache to -150mV, core to -160mV and all else to -60mV
Stable 2900 at conebench, was able to get just 3007 but instable

GREAT, thanks to you all helping a noob!

duskw4lker

have you tried setting -125 to the cache and going lower only with the core voltage? Maybe you are cutting too much power to the cache

For me cache max is about this. This is my stable settings. But even I try to get max from the cinebench score all that I get was 3159, not worth trying. And I can go lower with core but It doesnt help with scores anymore.

But I think its ok to say that just but everything -125mw :D Ofc you can hunt best scores but you will always go back somewhere close to that.

-----

Just run the test with posted settings again.

Attachments

Last edited:

Ender

Hi all!
Another noob-success story!
After i got great advice here i also realized that i need to add a heatsink to my 2GB SSD as it throttles because of Overheating as well from time to time.
So as i had to open my G5 anyways i decided to order "Kryonaut" thermal paste and repaste my CPU/GPU Cooler.

Apart from my SSD not throttling anymore that was GREAT, the (probably bad) original paste was applied very bad.
I DID clean the fans now and then so thats not a big added effect but after i repasted my Cinebnch went up from stable 2800 to 3050 (3040 - 2070) as the CPU never went > 80° and kept x40 all the time.
That is GREAT, so undervolting + repasting + cleaning the fans although they were pretty okay was the winner for me :)

Ender