• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

i9 12900k temperature problem

System Name Mean machine
Processor 13900k
Motherboard MSI Unify X
Cooling Noctua U12A
Memory 7600c34
Video Card(s) 4090 Gamerock oc
Storage 980 pro 2tb
Display(s) Samsung crg90
Case Fractal Torent
Audio Device(s) Hifiman Arya / a30 - d30 pro stack
Power Supply Be quiet dark power pro 1200
Mouse Viper ultimate
Keyboard Blackwidow 65%
First of all, half the comments in this section are from ignorant people that have absolutely no clue what they are talking about. I've no idea why they are even posting since they don't have any basic knowledge.

Now for OP's issue, obviously something is wrong. Alderlake is extremely efficient during gaming and does not consume 240w like some people before suggested (lol). Just reapply your paste and see if there is any improvement.

System Name 1. Glasshouse 2. Odin OneEye
Processor 1. Ryzen 9 5900X (manual PBO) 2. Ryzen 9 7900X
Motherboard 1. MSI x570 Tomahawk wifi 2. Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 670E
Cooling 1. Noctua NH D15 Chromax Black 2. Custom Loop 3x360mm (60mm) rads & T30 fans/Aquacomputer NEXT w/b
Memory 1. G Skill Neo 16GBx4 (3600MHz 16/16/16/36) 2. Kingston Fury 16GBx2 DDR5 CL36
Video Card(s) 1. Asus Strix Vega 64 2. Powercolor Liquid Devil 7900XTX
Storage 1. Corsair Force MP600 (1TB) & Sabrent Rocket 4 (2TB) 2. Kingston 3000 (1TB) and Hynix p41 (2TB)
Display(s) 1. Samsung U28E590 10bit 4K@60Hz 2. LG C2 42 inch 10bit 4K@120Hz
Case 1. Corsair Crystal 570X White 2. Cooler Master HAF 700 EVO
Audio Device(s) 1. Creative Speakers 2. Built in LG monitor speakers
Power Supply 1. Corsair RM850x 2. Superflower Titanium 1600W
Mouse 1. Microsoft IntelliMouse Pro (grey) 2. Microsoft IntelliMouse Pro (black)
Keyboard Leopold High End Mechanical
Software Windows 11
First of all, half the comments in this section are from ignorant people that have absolutely no clue what they are talking about. I've no idea why they are even posting since they don't have any basic knowledge.

Now for OP's issue, obviously something is wrong. Alderlake is extremely efficient during gaming and does not consume 240w like some people before suggested (lol). Just reapply your paste and see if there is any improvement.
Bit judgy aren't we?

He's already reapplied paste.

System Name Mean machine
Processor 13900k
Motherboard MSI Unify X
Cooling Noctua U12A
Memory 7600c34
Storage 980 pro 2tb
Display(s) Samsung crg90
Case Fractal Torent
Mouse Viper ultimate
Keyboard Blackwidow 65%
Bit judgy aren't we?

He's already reapplied paste.
Of course I'm judgy, this is a tech forum. Imagine yourself in a situation where you require help and people that are clueless about the topic feel the need to share their uninformed opinion. His CPU consumes less watts in gaming than my 11600k does and people are telling him that hitting 85-90c is normal...I mean besides everything else, they might even cost him actual money because he listened to them and damaged his hardware

ir_cow

Staff member
Ha! I have two Alder Lakes CPU that say otherwise. Depends on the application you use and the automatic voltage that is applied by the MB. Even if you don't overclock, MBs can have extra Boost or Turbo stuff applied without you knowing.

Edit: Just tested a stock i9-12900K. BF5 = 95 Watts, Cinebench R20 = 189 Watts, Prime95 = 237 Watts. That's at 1.12v. If the MB is applying 1.2 or higher that would easily lead to 200+. The other things it could be is the AIO pump isn't working correctly (or slow fans). The sticker is still on the AIO cooler. Poor contact with the cooler. Bad CPU sensor. High voltage. That is all I can think of right now.

His CPU consumes less watts in gaming than my 11600k does and people are telling him that hitting 85-90c is normal...I mean besides everything else, they might even cost him actual money because he listened to them and damaged his hardware
Why are you comparing a 11th gen to 12th gen?

@Zazii can you posts a screenshot of HWINFO while the CPU is under load. The one you have shows idling with 1.1v.

Last edited:
Processor 6900K @ 4.3Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte x99 ultra gaming
Cooling H115i pro xt
Memory Tridentz 3200 32gb
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 4070
Storage 970 EVO 500gb
Display(s) AOC g2460pf
Case Non branded shit
Power Supply Corsair Rm550x
Mouse Logitech G603 Double click mode
Keyboard TGK205
Software Win 10

That was rude calling people here ignorant but I totally agree with your other inputs....

Those newer intels is extremely efficient while gaming and even higher on idle. In reviews they ONLY comment about stress wattage and on intel, but c'mom, how many hours you run a stress and how many yors yours pc stands on idle? I dont see people comment about the high idle consumption on ryzen chips......

@Zazzi just return your cpu and get a new one! If your retalier dont return, just rma to intel, their service is outstanding! I had a problem with a 7700k, I contacted them about the issue that processor had (only delided has a decent cooling) and they give a 6900k (it took 60 days but the R$1500 order turns into R$9000 :laugh:):clap:

So, thats it. Merry Cristmas guys and God bless all.

System Name Mean machine
Processor 13900k
Motherboard MSI Unify X
Cooling Noctua U12A
Memory 7600c34
Storage 980 pro 2tb
Display(s) Samsung crg90
Case Fractal Torent
Mouse Viper ultimate
Keyboard Blackwidow 65%
Ha! I have two Alder Lakes CPU that say otherwise. Depends on the application you use and the automatic voltage that is applied by the MB. Even if you don't overclock, MBs can have extra Boost or Turbo stuff applied without you knowing.

Edit: Just tested a stock i9-12900K. BF5 = 95 Watts, Cinebench R20 = 189 Watts, Prime95 = 237 Watts. That's at 1.12v. If the MB is applying 1.2 or higher that would easily lead to 200+. The other things it could be is the AIO pump isn't working correctly (or slow fans). The sticker is still on the AIO cooler. Poor contact with the cooler. Bad CPU sensor. High voltage. That is all I can think of right now.
I said it does not consume 240 watts during gaming and you come back with consumption during prime95 and cbr20? Okay man

System Name °( ఠ ͟ʖ ఠ)°
Processor Intel | i7 _ 11700K | @ ~ 5GHz all | cooling ~ Thermal Grizzly CARBONAUT
Motherboard Asus | ROG Strix -- Z 590-E
Cooling Asus | ROG Ryujin 240 2* _Noctua F PPC °3000 | 4+1* _beQuiet_ Silent/Light Wings 3 °2200
Memory G Skill | Trident Z *RGB @ 4000_ | _15-15-15-36_ |
Video Card(s) Asus | ROG Strix -- RTX 3070Ti_ #OC Edition
Storage INTENSO 250GB *1, 500GB*1 | Samsung EVO 860 / 970 EVO plus| WDC WD40 |
Display(s) Alienware | AW3821DW _ 38" {3840*1600} wide - curved
Case be Quiet | DARK BASE PRO 900 --- _rev. 2 --- #Silver
Audio Device(s) Asus | ROG Throne - Qi_7.1 | LOGITECH_G560 Speaker (RGB)
Power Supply be Quiet | DARK Power PRO 12 __ 1200W *titanium
Mouse Razer | NAGA Trinity (19 buttons)
Keyboard Razer | Huntsman V2 analog | Razer Goliathus (RGB) black
VR HMD Razer | Kraken Ultimate HEADSET __7.1 THX ____| DX RACER - Gaming Leather Chair_____ VR?? is odd!
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores See signature URL

I think you have not read correctly what it is about:
It is about temperatures in power peaks.

and your concept of efficiency is more likely to come from the 50s of the 18th century.

You can't deny ignorance and basic understanding to anyone here.
for this you get my, here first, red emote.

you have not dealt with the op at all. you are just playing the blame game. without any reasonable factual justification and refutation of the allegedly wrong facts.
maybe it helps to read through the initial post correctly and exactly. if you are not able to do so, i will help you by means of colors and capitalization.

Oh No Help GIF by Space Chickens In Space

Last edited:
System Name Mean machine
Processor 13900k
Motherboard MSI Unify X
Cooling Noctua U12A
Memory 7600c34
Storage 980 pro 2tb
Display(s) Samsung crg90
Case Fractal Torent
Mouse Viper ultimate
Keyboard Blackwidow 65%
I think you have not read correctly what it is about:
It is about temperatures in power peaks.

and your concept of efficiency is more likely to come from the 50s of the 18th century.

You can't deny ignorance and basic understanding to anyone here.
for this you get my, here first, red emote.

you have not dealt with the op at all. you are just playing the blame game. without any reasonable factual justification and refutation of the allegedly wrong facts.
maybe it helps to read through the initial post correctly and exactly. if you are not able to do so, i will help you by means of colors and capitalization.

Oh No Help GIF by Space Chickens In Space
I read the first post again. Repeatedly. He is talking about spikes in temperature while GAMING, that did not happen before, but started all of a sudden. Consumption during gaming for ADL does not go above 150w, and that's already at something like cyberpunk @ 720p. His cooler is an h150i elite. So I stand by what I said. Most of the posts in this thread are just dumb, saying his temps are normal cause of prime95 and cinebench results.

FYI, I did not get that high temperatures during gaming with a u12a, so yeah. Ignorant posters.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
I read the first post again. Repeatedly. He is talking about spikes in temperature while GAMING, that did not happen before, but started all of a sudden. Consumption during gaming for ADL does not go above 150w, and that's already at something like cyberpunk @ 720p. His cooler is an h150i elite. So I stand by what I said. Most of the posts in this thread are just dumb, saying his temps are normal cause of prime95 and cinebench results.

FYI, I did not get that high temperatures during gaming with a u12a, so yeah. Ignorant posters.

Hey, good luck then buddy, troubleshoot his issue, all yours. You are more experienced so you shouldnt have a problem here.

What we did say was, provide data we can rely on. We saw the 150+W package power and let me tell you, that kind of sustained wattage is not easy to cool and resulting temps are not out of the ordinary especially if the cooling was not mounted properly.

So, maybe, direct your attention to the solution rather than flaming the ones you dont like. Your contribution so far is zero. General statements about gaming and bench temps are not helping anyone so far.

I said it does not consume 240 watts during gaming and you come back with consumption during prime95 and cbr20? Okay man

It is specced for 241W peak and depending on silicon quality and turbo behaviour we have no reliable way to tell it didnt go there.

Last edited:
System Name Mean machine
Processor 13900k
Motherboard MSI Unify X
Cooling Noctua U12A
Memory 7600c34
Storage 980 pro 2tb
Display(s) Samsung crg90
Case Fractal Torent
Mouse Viper ultimate
Keyboard Blackwidow 65%
Hey, good luck then buddy, troubleshoot his issue, all yours. You are more experienced so you shouldnt have a problem here.

What we did say was, provide data we can rely on. We saw the 150+W package power and let me tell you, that kind of sustained wattage is not easy to cool and resulting temps are not out of the ordinary especially if the cooling was not mounted properly.

So, maybe, direct your attention to the solution rather than flaming the ones you dont like. Your contribution so far is zero. General statements about gaming and bench temps are not helping anyone so far.
150w is insanely easy to cool even with an inexpensive small 30€ cooler. A freezer 34 would do that easily. His h150i can cool that amount of wattage with the fans off probably.

So what he is experiencing is NOT normal, the CPU does not consume 240w (as per his hwinfo screenshot) and something else is going on. Probably the mounting if I had to guess. So the people that kept on going about "intel consumes 240w and you need a custom loop to cool it) were just being silly.

Other than that, I don't know what card he is using, a high end ampere card with a h150i as exhaust could account for high temperatures. Happened to me when my 3090 was exhausting 550w through the radiator. Still, 92C is ridiculous and even with that into account he shouldnt be seeing temps like that.

Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
150w is insanely easy to cool even with an inexpensive small 30€ cooler. A freezer 34 would do that easily. His h150i can cool that amount of wattage with the fans off probably.

So what he is experiencing is NOT normal, the CPU does not consume 240w (as per his hwinfo screenshot) and something else is going on. Probably the mounting if I had to guess. So the people that kept on going about "intel consumes 240w and you need a custom loop to cool it) were just being silly.

Other than that, I don't know what card he is using, a high end ampere card with a h150i as exhaust could account for high temperatures. Happened to me when my 3090 was exhausting 550w through the radiator. Still, 92C is ridiculous and even with that into account he shouldnt be seeing temps like that.

You dont cool 150W easily on any air tower at all. Im not sure you know what you are saying here. Detached from reality it surely is though. When I push over 140W sustained on a Dark Rock Pro Im seeing 80+C just the same.

System Name Mean machine
Processor 13900k
Motherboard MSI Unify X
Cooling Noctua U12A
Memory 7600c34
Storage 980 pro 2tb
Display(s) Samsung crg90
Case Fractal Torent
Mouse Viper ultimate
Keyboard Blackwidow 65%
You dont cool 150W easily on any air tower at all. Im not sure you know what you are saying here. Detached from reality it surely is though. When I push over 140W sustained on a Dark Rock Pro Im seeing 80+C just the same.
I barely hit 70s at 165watts running cinebench on a loop with a smaller air cooler than your dark rock pro (u12a) . You either have a ryzen CPU which are hard to cool (way harder than Intel) or your case airflow is terrible. 150w is a joke for any decent air cooler starting from 30€

PS1. Actually besides core 3 which hits 70 (maybe due to uneven ihs or contact) the rest of the cores stay at 61-62 degrees. There is something wrong with your cooler man

ir_cow

Staff member
I'm curios @fevgatos if you actually have a Alder Lake CPU. Purely playing games with nothing else open I reached 95 Watts in BF5. That does not mean the OP does not have 10 other programs running in the background causing 240 watt spikes. Because yes Alder Lake i9-12900K can peak at 240w without any overclocking. I proved it.....

This is my best guess what is happening. While the gaming some other program(s) is putting a load on causing quick spikes to 200+. The AIO cooler is probably in a ECO mode and does not run at full speed all the time. So when a spike happens, the temps quickly jump. If you are running a air-cooler or open-loop water. The cooling is sustained, thus limiting the magnitude of the temp spikes.

Solution? Stop telling people a $30 cooler is enough :slap:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 24505

Just looked and my CPU package is no more than 60w running project zomboid. 12700k. Not sure about temps, but i have a dual rad loop, see sys specs.

System Name Mean machine
Processor 13900k
Motherboard MSI Unify X
Cooling Noctua U12A
Memory 7600c34
Storage 980 pro 2tb
Display(s) Samsung crg90
Case Fractal Torent
Mouse Viper ultimate
Keyboard Blackwidow 65%
I'm curios @fevgatos if you actually have a Alder Lake CPU. Purely playing games with nothing else open I reached 95 Watts in BF5. That does not mean the OP does not have 10 other programs running in the background causing 240 watt spikes. Because yes Alder Lake i9-12900K can peak at 240w without any overclocking. I proved it.....

This is my best guess what is happening. While the gaming some other program(s) is putting a load on causing quick spikes to 200+. The AIO cooler is probably in a ECO mode and does not run at full speed all the time. So when a spike happens, the temps quickly jump. If you are running a air-cooler or open-loop water. The cooling is sustained, thus limiting the magnitude of the temp spikes.

Solution? Stop telling people a $30 cooler is enough :slap:
If it's a temp spikes that hwinfo can catch, then it could also catch the power spike. Which it didn't, he posted a screenshot from hwinfo, 150w maximum power draw and ~90c temperature.

Yes I do have a 12900k + apex, waiting for my ddr5

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
I barely hit 70s at 165watts running cinebench on a loop with a smaller air cooler than your dark rock pro (u12a) . You either have a ryzen CPU which are hard to cool (way harder than Intel) or your case airflow is terrible. 150w is a joke for any decent air cooler starting from 30€

PS1. Actually besides core 3 which hits 70 (maybe due to uneven ihs or contact) the rest of the cores stay at 61-62 degrees. There is something wrong with your cooler man

Strange. TPU seems to think otherwise

Take a look - and this is on a rather less bursty 10900K under OC, maxing out at 200W with 125W sustained.

My own results are from a 8700K which was far less optimal wrt IHS solution (back when delid was a thing).

Here is the 12900K review

Mind if I say you're full of it?

Last edited:
System Name We call it 'x79', aka The x79 system
Processor E5 1680 v2
Motherboard Rampage IV Extreme
Cooling Soft tube loop w/ Black Ice GTX 360 and EK Supremacy Evo
Memory 32gb (4x8gb) 2400mhz cl11 Corsair Dominator
Video Card(s) Radeon VII, XFX with Samsung HBM dies
Storage Samsung 860 EVO 1tb
Display(s) old 27" Viewsonic 1080p, Asus 1080p, Viewsonic 4k
Case Thermaltake Core x9
Power Supply Corsair HX1200
Benchmark Scores Cinebench r15, w/ 1680v2 @ 4.6ghz and XMP enabled, 1648 1680v2 @ 4.7ghz RAM @ stock 1333mhz, 1696
This kinda reminds me of the problem with the 7700k and high peak temps.
Auto overclocking will sometimes lead to abnormal temperature spikes. It's best to input the voltages manually, because these Auto-overclocking features tend to set the voltages too high. Also some of these games are using more advanced instruction sets at times which leads to higher temps.

It's hard to make comments about a setup unless you own and have hands on experience with it. Youtube reviewers and these benchmarks from channels like Testing Games don't cover everything.

System Name Mean machine
Processor 13900k
Motherboard MSI Unify X
Cooling Noctua U12A
Memory 7600c34
Storage 980 pro 2tb
Display(s) Samsung crg90
Case Fractal Torent
Mouse Viper ultimate
Keyboard Blackwidow 65%
Strange. TPU seems to think otherwise

Take a look - and this is on a rather less bursty 10900K under OC, maxing out at 200W with 125W sustained.

My own results are from a 8700K which was far less optimal wrt IHS solution (back when delid was a thing).

Here is the 12900K review

Mind if I say you're full of it?
Im confused. What does a graph with an oced cpu running blender have anything to do with whether or not a cheap air cooler can easily cool 150w? I thought that was our disagreement.

Your 8700k needs a delid, had one. The bottleneck to your temperatures isnt your cooler but the tim.

So mind if i say i think you figured out you are wrong and now you are changing the topic?

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
Im confused. What does a graph with an oced cpu running blender have anything to do with whether or not a cheap air cooler can easily cool 150w? I thought that was our disagreement.

Your 8700k needs a delid, had one. The bottleneck to your temperatures isnt your cooler but the tim.

So mind if i say i think you figured out you are wrong and now you are changing the topic?

Our disagreement?! I just explained to you why I saw what I saw on air at a certain wattage. Im supporting that with other Intel CPUs running into temps well over 80C when presented with usage at and over 150W.

Im absolutely not interested in discussing this in a help topic, Im not here to epeen about temps with you. Refer to earlier posts. Advice was given and if your point to derail this topic was 'you idiots dont know ADL and I do then again, I invite you to help the OP with better advice than what was given.

All Ive said was
- cooler might need a better mount
- ADL might pull more watts than you think
- Similar TDPs on Intel show the same high core temps, and tell a different story about ADL than you are telling.
- Troubleshoot this by double checking voltage / oc settings and limiting voltage before introducing more risk by hardware fiddling.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 24505

His cooler should be adequate. No denying the 12900k can be a bitch to cool though. As long as its not going near 100c i would leave it.

System Name loon v4.0
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard asus Z590TUF+wifi
Cooling Custom Loop
Memory ballistix 3600 cl16
Video Card(s) eVga 3060 xc
Storage WD sn570 1tb(nvme) SanDisk ultra 2tb(sata)
Display(s) cheap 1080&4K 60hz
Case Roswell Stryker
Power Supply eVGA supernova 750 G6
Mouse eats cheese
Keyboard warrior!
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/21765182 https://www.3dmark.com/pr/1114767
If it's a temp spikes that hwinfo can catch, then it could also catch the power spike.
nope. HWInfo is limited to 250ms polling fast enough for temps but not for spikes that only last ~10-25ms. you'de need a scope for that. ;)

System Name Mean machine
Processor 13900k
Motherboard MSI Unify X
Cooling Noctua U12A
Memory 7600c34
Storage 980 pro 2tb
Display(s) Samsung crg90
Case Fractal Torent
Mouse Viper ultimate
Keyboard Blackwidow 65%
nope. HWInfo is limited to 250ms polling fast enough for temps but not for spikes that only last ~10-25ms. you'de need a scope for that. ;)
Sure, but if we are talking about actual spikes that last ms, those are not even close to enough to cause 90c on a 360 radiator. Probably not even on an air cooler.

OP isn't around anymore so I think we are just running circles. He could just try a cbr20 with an 150w power limit and report his temperatures. If he is still getting 90c there is obviously something wrong with his cooler installation.

System Name loon v4.0
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard asus Z590TUF+wifi
Cooling Custom Loop
Memory ballistix 3600 cl16
Video Card(s) eVga 3060 xc
Storage WD sn570 1tb(nvme) SanDisk ultra 2tb(sata)
Display(s) cheap 1080&4K 60hz
Case Roswell Stryker
Power Supply eVGA supernova 750 G6
Mouse eats cheese
Keyboard warrior!
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/21765182 https://www.3dmark.com/pr/1114767
Sure, but if we are talking about actual spikes that last ms, those are not even close to enough to cause 90c on a 360 radiator. Probably not even on an air cooler.

OP isn't around anymore so I think we are just running circles. He could just try a cbr20 with an 150w power limit and report his temperatures. If he is still getting 90c there is obviously something wrong with his cooler installation.
*sigh* NO.
the spikes are constant enough to raise temps but STILL NOT get caught with software but you know their there cuz of temps!

System Name Mean machine
Processor 13900k
Motherboard MSI Unify X
Cooling Noctua U12A
Memory 7600c34
Storage 980 pro 2tb
Display(s) Samsung crg90
Case Fractal Torent
Mouse Viper ultimate
Keyboard Blackwidow 65%
*sigh* NO.
the spikes are constant enough to raise temps but STILL NOT get caught with software but you know their there cuz of temps!
So you are saying that a 10ms 100w spike can cause a 2000ms (that's 2 seconds btw...) 20-25c spike in temperatures? On a 360 AIO? Nah. I mean there is one way to test it, power limit it to 150w and run cbr20. But the op is gone so...can't do that