• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ICT free HD-DVD & Blu Ray movies until 2010

Darksaber

Senior Editor & Case Reviewer
Staff member
System Name Meshlicious Monster
Processor Intel Core i5-10600T
Motherboard MSI Z490I Unify
Cooling NZXT Kraken Z53 with 2x Noctua Redux 1300 RPM PWM fans
Memory ADATA 16 GB 3200 Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3070 Gaming X Trio
Storage TeamGroup 1TB NVMe SSD
Display(s) Asus ProArt 27" 1440P, 75Hz
Case ssupd Meshlicious with mesh side panels
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion 660 W Platinum ATX
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RGB Pro Wireless
Keyboard Microsoft Sidewinder X4 Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Home
ICT stands for Image Constrain Token, which lets the user watch a high definition movie (either HD-DVD or Blu Ray) only if a protected path (for example: HDMI) is used. If an analog source or display is used, that movie would be downgraded in resolution. Seems like the Studios have agreed to hold off the implementation of ICT. So owners of the Xbox 360, small PS3 and HD-ready Television sets without HDMI can breath a sigh of relieve for the next four years. But keep in mind this is not an official move by the studios. I for one am happy to be able to use my Dell 2405FPW for HD content for the next four years - hopefully.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Xbox 360 Super Elite
Processor 3.2GHz PowerPC Tri-Core Xenon
Memory 512MB 700MHz GDDR3 RAM
Video Card(s) ATI Xenos @ 500 MHz
Storage 250GB
Display(s) 26" Samsung LCD HDTV
Case Super Elite (COD:MW2 Edition)
Audio Device(s) 5.1
Power Supply 120w
Software NXE
Hope buy then a HDTV will be cheap enough for us all.

Darksaber

Staff member
Software Windows 10 Home
I think by then a new standard will come out, making HD-DVD and BluRay obselete *G*

cheers
DS

tvdang7

Processor AMD 3200+ venice @2.65
Motherboard Abot AX8
Cooling XP-90 with highspeed zalman
Memory 2 x 1gb ocz gold DDR500
Video Card(s) x1800xl 600/625 1.15/1.856/1.856
Storage 160 gig hitachi SATA
Display(s) viewsonic E90
Case thermaltake tsunami dream
Audio Device(s) sound blaster audigy 2 zs
Power Supply ultra X-finity 600W
Software xp-pro
i have no idea what this mean can some one explain this for a stupid person like me

Darksaber

Staff member
Software Windows 10 Home
tvdang7 said:
i have no idea what this mean can some one explain this for a stupid person like me

the new formats use copy protection. The movie will only play on your TV if it is played thru a secure cable. So if your player has a HDMI plug, and your TV one as well, the Audio/Video is sent directly to the TV at full resolution. If you use a analog or non secure connection: component from the Xbox 360 or DVI on your HD-LCD TV...the movie is downsampled to normal DVD resolution (i think). So if you want to copy the movie, you would need to use a source which is not encrypted...but by doing so, you will not get the resolution of a HD-DVD or BluRay movie. But even if you do not want to copy the movie, but just watch it on your analog or HDMI-Less HD-LCD TV or PC monitor or have an Xbox 360 + the upcoming HD-DVD drive you would only see the HD-DVD in DVD quality. But since the movie studios have decided to ship their movies on BluRay or HD-DVD without the little "check" for a secure connection, we will be able to enjoy the movie at its full glory with LCD-TVs using any capable imput to show them at 720p or 1080i/1080p (Component input, DVI maybe?...)

dunno if I got all the facts straight...but that main idea...*G*

cheers
DS

ShadowFlare

Processor Athlon 64 Venice 3200+ 2.0 GHz, max 2.6 GHz with Zalman CNPS7000B-AlCu
Motherboard EpoX 9NPA+Ultra nForce4 Ultra with Zalman ZM-NB47J
Cooling All Zalman heatsinks (CNPS7000B-AlCu, ZM-NB47J, VF700-Cu)
Memory 1 GB (2x512 MB) DDR400 Corsair XMS C2 series, max 233 MHz @ 2-3-2-9 1T
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon X800GTO2 256 MB PCIe max 540/600, modded to 16 pipes
Storage Seagate 80GB SATA, Maxtor 160GB PATA, Maxtor 200GB PATA
Display(s) Dell 17" Trinitron CRT
Case Lian Li PC-60B Plus
Audio Device(s) Built-in Realtek chip
Power Supply Enermax Noisetaker EG495AX-VE, 485 watts, active PFC
Software Windows XP Pro SP2, Windows XP Pro x64, Windows Vista RC1 32-bit
Darksaber said:
the new formats use copy protection. The movie will only play on your TV if it is played thru a secure cable. So if your player has a HDMI plug, and your TV one as well, the Audio/Video is sent directly to the TV at full resolution. If you use a analog or non secure connection: component from the Xbox 360 or DVI on your HD-LCD TV...the movie is downsampled to normal DVD resolution (i think). So if you want to copy the movie, you would need to use a source which is not encrypted...but by doing so, you will not get the resolution of a HD-DVD or BluRay movie. But even if you do not want to copy the movie, but just watch it on your analog or HDMI-Less HD-LCD TV or PC monitor or have an Xbox 360 + the upcoming HD-DVD drive you would only see the HD-DVD in DVD quality. But since the movie studios have decided to ship their movies on BluRay or HD-DVD without the little "check" for a secure connection, we will be able to enjoy the movie at its full glory with LCD-TVs using any capable imput to show them at 720p or 1080i/1080p (Component input, DVI maybe?...)

dunno if I got all the facts straight...but that main idea...*G*

cheers
DS
So after reading that, in my opinion if they didn't do that, then the formats might just flop. I say this because I'm sure that there will probably be many people who won't know that they need a special display for the high resolution, not just any HDTV display. Then if they buy a player, connect it to their HDTV set, and then put in a movie they won't see it looking any better, which will make it seem to them like they just wasted their money. Now if they also made things in the new formats be no more expensive than the regular DVDs, then this probably wouldn't be an issue for those people, except that they had to buy a new player just to play it. However, once they had the player then buying the videos for that instead of for their DVD player wouldn't be an issue if the companies did do that with the cost.

Besides, all it really comes down to is this: Are the people who watch pirated movies really going to care much if they can't watch it in high resolution? I don't really think so myself. I mean, for someone who watches pirated movies, the first priority would probably be just being able to get a copy of it at all, and if it just happened to be higher resolution then it would be an added bonus.

Last edited: