• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Icy Dock Introduces the ToughArmor MB840M2P-B: Hot-Swap for NVMe Drives

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
Icy Dock has introduced their new ToughArmor MB840M2P-B, a PCIe adapter that allows you to connect a single NVMe drive through an open PCIe port. To do so, it makes use of 4 PCIe 3.0 lanes, as per the NVMe protocol, but that's not its call to fame, however practical that may be in older systems without any M.2 form-factor support. Rather, the ability to hot swap NVMe storage drives is. Not all drives support such a feature: you'll have to check specific drive models that allow you to remove them from operation even whilst your PC is turned on.

The ToughArmor accessory from Icy Dock features a tool-less design meant to make it easier and faster for you to hot-swap your drives (30 mm to 110 mm in length), and the chassis is made of aluminium and features an integrated thermal pad to improve heat dissipation of your M.2 SSD, thus alleviating any throttling issues. A header allows you to connect it to your PC's HDD activity gauge. It's a pretty flexible design, featuring both full-height and low-profile PCIe expansion slot covers, and as other PCIe add-in cards, it can slot in any PCIe slot from the lowest-supported links (4 lanes) all the way to a 16-lane connector. No pricing information was available at time of writing.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor Intel i9 9900K @5GHz w/ Corsair H150i Pro CPU AiO w/Corsair HD120 RBG fan
Motherboard Asus Z390 Maximus XI Code
Cooling 6x120mm Corsair HD120 RBG fans
Memory Corsair Vengeance RBG 2x8GB 3600MHz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 3080Ti STRIX OC
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB , 970 EVO 1TB, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD, 10TB Synology DS1621+ RAID5
Display(s) Corsair Xeneon 32" 32UHD144 4K
Case Corsair 570x RBG Tempered Glass
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Corsair Virtuoso XT Wireless RGB
Power Supply Corsair HX850w Platinum Series
Mouse Logitech G604s
Keyboard Corsair K70 Rapidfire
Software Windows 11 x64 Professional
Benchmark Scores Firestrike - 23520 Heaven - 3670
Get me a NAS device with this and then we will talk.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
The only issue is. this is only accessible from the back of the chassis so its not really convenient for a hot-swap if you have your PC or server backed up against a wall.

If i have to pull the entire machine out to have access to it. it means absolutely nothing to me. I would rather save the money and get the PCi-Ex X4 speed riser cards and call it a day.

big brain moments.

The only issue is. this is only accessible from the back of the chassis so its not really convenient for a hot-swap if you have your PC or server backed up against a wall.

If i have to pull the entire machine out to have access to it. it means absolutely nothing to me. I would rather save the money and get the PCi-Ex X4 speed riser cards and call it a day.

big brain moments.

There's still U.2 which is designed for that purpose

System Name Lightbringer
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Enermax Liqmax Iii 360mm AIO
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB (8GBx4) 3200Mhz CL 14
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 5700XT Nitro+
Storage Hp EX950 2TB NVMe M.2, HP EX950 1TB NVMe M.2, Samsung 860 EVO 2TB
Display(s) LG 34BK95U-W 34" 5120 x 2160
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic (White)
Power Supply BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850w Gold Rated PSU
Mouse Glorious Model O (Matte White)
Keyboard Royal Kludge RK71
Software Windows 10

big brain moments.

How is pulling the computer away from the wall worse than having to open the case up? You just sound like one of those people who LIKE having something to complain about

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Make a hot swap bay for front drive bays and it will sell better.

FreedomEclipse

Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
How is pulling the computer away from the wall worse than having to open the case up? You just sound like one of those people who LIKE having something to complain about

hot swap bays are supposed to be about convenience. Also, how about people who use rack mount servers and have to pull the entire rack away from the wall or have their servers located in super cramped places like under the stairs?

If i have to go through the trouble of pulling a PC or rackmount unit away from the wall to pull hard drives then i gonna be powering the system down anyway and that kind of defeats part of the purpose of hot-swap.

I dont face my servers or PCs back-to-front so honestly this product isnt for me.

But of course. keep thinking that your opinion is right and everyone elses is wrong.

hot swap bays are supposed to be about convenience. Also, how about people who use rack mount servers and have to pull the entire rack away from the wall or have their servers located in super cramped places like under the stairs?

If i have to go through the trouble of pulling a PC or rackmount unit away from the wall to pull hard drives then i gonna be powering the system down anyway and that kind of defeats part of the purpose of hot-swap.

I dont face my servers or PCs back-to-front so honestly this product isnt for me.

But of course. keep thinking that your opinion is right and everyone elses is wrong.
Oh gawd, the hardware community can be so insufferable. Those options already exist!!!!!!! Are you living in a damn cave??? There are plenty of front bay hotswap devices available. Hell, have you EVER checked out IcyDocks own offerings???? They have so many available. This is just another option, since PCI slot hotswap is rare and they're filling a gap in their product lines. I swear, PC hardware enthusiasts have become incredibly whiny and annoying. Every single thing needs to be complained about. The greatest thing about this hobby and platform is OPTIONS but give people more of it and what do they do? COMPLAIN. Don't have a use for it? Don't buy it. That's it. Has the community always been like this? It's awful.

FreedomEclipse

Display(s) LG GP850-B
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
Oh gawd, the hardware community can be so insufferable. Those options already exist!!!!!!! Are you living in a damn cave??? There are plenty of front bay hotswap devices available. Hell, have you EVER checked out IcyDocks own offerings???? They have so many available. This is just another option, since PCI slot hotswap is rare and they're filling a gap in their product lines. I swear, PC hardware enthusiasts have become incredibly whiny and annoying. Every single thing needs to be complained about. The greatest thing about this hobby and platform is OPTIONS but give people more of it and what do they do? COMPLAIN. Don't have a use for it? Don't buy it. That's it. Has the community always been like this? It's awful.

Notice i never said anything about telling them to withdraw it from sale or not selling it at all. I am aware that there are other options. Im just stating that this might not be useful for everyone because for stated reasons.

Hell, have you EVER checked out IcyDocks own offerings????

In fact yes i have. I have purchased & used their external USB enclosures and run a 4x2.5 in a 5.25 bay hot swap bay

I swear, PC hardware enthusiasts have become incredibly whiny and annoying. Every single thing needs to be complained about. The greatest thing about this hobby and platform is OPTIONS but give people more of it and what do they do? COMPLAIN.

And being all shouty, complainy and dramatiky at somebodies opinion doesnt make you any less whiny and annoying? pot calling kettle black. I wasnt voicing a complaint. I was making an observation