• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Idle BSODs on 3700x

System Name ibuytheusedstuff
Processor 5960x
Motherboard x99 sabertooth
Cooling old socket775 cooler
Memory 32 Viper
Video Card(s) 1080ti on morpheus 1
Storage raptors+ssd
Display(s) acer 120hz
Case open bench
Audio Device(s) onb
Power Supply antec 1200 moar power
Mouse mx 518
Keyboard roccat arvo
the 5th test in memtest is the hardest of all thats why i just run this test in loops.

System Name ibuytheusedstuff
Processor 5960x
Motherboard x99 sabertooth
Cooling old socket775 cooler
Memory 32 Viper
Video Card(s) 1080ti on morpheus 1
Storage raptors+ssd
Display(s) acer 120hz
Case open bench
Audio Device(s) onb
Power Supply antec 1200 moar power
Mouse mx 518
Keyboard roccat arvo
if ya know it has errors in test nr.5 then yes if ya change some timings or mhz on the ram i would loop test 5 and if ya get it stable then run all test 1 x as safety.

System Name Apex Raptor: Silverback
Processor Intel i9 13900KS 6.2GHz/Allcore5.9
Motherboard z790 Apex
Cooling LT720 360mm + Phanteks T30
Memory 32GB @8000MT/s CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090
Storage 990 PRO 2TB / Firecuda 530 2TB
Display(s) Neo G8 / C1 65"
Case Antec Performance 1
Audio Device(s) DT 1990 Pro / Motu M2
Power Supply Prime Ultra Titanium 1000w
Mouse Scimitar Pro
Keyboard K95 Platinum
Try each stick of ram solo, figure which one is causing the trouble, so far it sounds like bad ram so it's likely one of them won't be causing any issues

So first stick bsoded 2 times with DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION and SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION blaming ntoskrnl.exe and amdppm.sys

Trying out the second one

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Its the ram, replace it and press on

System Name Smooth-Operator
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3800x
Motherboard Asrock x570 Taichi
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory 2x16GB 3200MHz CL16@CL14 DDR4
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 580 8GB NITRO+
Storage 2x4TB WD HGST 7K6 7200RPM 256MB
Display(s) Samsung S24E370DL 24" IPS Freesync 75Hz
Case Fractal Design Focus G Window Blue
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe x1
Power Supply Corsair HX850 80+ Platinum
Mouse Gigabyte Aorus M3
Keyboard Zalman ZM-K300M
Software Windows 10 x64 Enterprise/Ubuntu Budgie amd64
Do you also get random freezes, hard locks? If yes then i have a bad news for you.

Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Mouse Gigabyte Aorus M3
Keyboard Zalman ZM-K300M
First confirm if you have random freezes/system hangs?

What is your system drive? If ssd, m.2, are there any chance for a Kingston A400?
What is your soc voltage?

What is your system drive? If ssd, m.2, are there any chance for a Kingston A400?
What is your soc voltage?
It's m.2 Samsung evo 860
Secondary KINGSTON SHSS37A480G (never had problems with it on the previous setup)
and third is some old ass seagate hdd

SoC voltage is on auto, never changed it

@John Naylor thank you for the answer
2. Yeah, had problem with it before. It's A2-B2-A1-B1 for this board
3. There are so many problems though and random solutions like disabling core scaling and such didn't work for me, I tried most of it
6. I ran it for 30 min and didn't had problems, guess I'll try it for 3 hours, but as I said it has never bsoded on heavy load, only during idle or low tasks like youtube

Also what ram should I aim for? Just the QVL list? Because I saw a lot of posts from people with exactly same problem and it didn't help them switching to the QVL ones. Is there some kind of fool-proof option?

I have never looked at a QVL list. It does help to use a upper tier RAM set as the profit margin allows more time and money for testing ... and they do want to keep their reputation. From the 90s till the and of DDR3, Mushkin was the go to option for those wanting the best quality kits, folks were hitting 1.94 volts with their overclocks which was a lot for the JEDEC spec was 1.5 (1.65 for XMP). The DDR3-2400 CAS 10 set in my old box used the same chips as Corsair Vengeance Pro ... at least up to version 4.51 ... then they switched to a cheaper module and peeps adding a 2nd pair suffered from the mismatch.

Mushkin lost interest in DDR4 it would seem, still have products but they rarely putout a shining starr so to speak and even then supplies are limited. These days we general stick with the upper tier stuff (3200 CAS 16 or 3000 CAS 15but none with the silly huge heatsinks or RGB stuff ... Corsair vengeance LPX like this. Granted ... not many of our users (2D / 3D CAD, Video editing and gamers) do AMD builds given Intel's advantage in these areas. But that CAD group also includes a segment that also doesn animation and rendering in which case they may have 9 Intel boxes for the CAD but they also have 1 box with AMD for the rendering and animation.

It's no secret that AMD builds have frequent issues with RAM in recent years .. and X570 has alleviated this to a significant extent. My thinking is that the replacement set of RAM will be fine ...

1. Clean slots with a foam swab dipped in 90+% isoprophyl alcohol /wipe RAM contact points with same
2. One installed (in correct slots), run memtest86+ **overnight** making sure both sticks in correct slots. If it passes, sounds like you are on ya way problem free.
3. If it doesn't pass, you have to determine ... is it a stick or is it a slot ?
a) Place Stick 1 in primary slot and test for full cycle
b) Place Stick 1 in secondary slot and test for full cycle
c) Place Stick 2 in primary slot and test for full cycle
d) Place Stick 2 in secondary slot and test for full cycle
You should now know which stick or which slot is problematic ... Since we started building PCs in early 90s, I'd say we have had about 1 in 15 instances of memory issues were because of a bad slot .. the other 14 times, it's a stick
4. make sure you swap the entire set, not just 1 stick .... never buy or replace sticks 1 at a time ... always use ONLY what arrived in same package.

@John Naylor thank you for the detailed answer
Yeah, I understand the importance of the same package ram.
1) Will the system even post with the ram stick in the second slot? I remember it not posting if you use the secondary channel first.
2) What would be considered a pass? I used memtest86+ before for both sticks at the same time and 2 times they went through 5+ passes without an error and once with an error on pass 5. Should I run 8 passes? Some people said that 5th is the hardest one and it's fine to just cycle it.
3) Should I use multithreading or single thread for memtest?
4) Speccy doesn't see the ram model for some reason. I don't remember if it should or not though

Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Mouse Gigabyte Aorus M3
Keyboard Zalman ZM-K300M
That's a vague description, but I guess? These aren't exactly long freezes or hangs, more like fast crashes.
Then i have a bad news for you, this particular ram+motherboard bundle for some reason will not work for you at all under any circumstances and unfortunately i'm telling that from experience.

I had the same, exactly same bsods like you have and freezes/system hangs/lockups on 2700x+x470 taichi ultimate+g.skill aegis ram. I replaced to new units of the same models literally every reasonable and unreasonable component in my pc to get rid off that and nothing helped. Also replaced with other models ram, psu, system drive... these problem were still occurring. Tried literally every single one option available in bios, contacted asrock Now i am on x570 taichi+3800x+patriot viper 4 memory and have none of these issues.

When you type into google "ryzen random freezes" you will find many similar cases on various generations of ryzen cpus and motherboards (b/x3xx, 4xx, 5xx). If you happen to have such issues on your particular setup there is no real fix to it except to replace whole set (cpu, motherboard and ram) to something different.

I'm sure people here will have problems to believe in it and will be questioning my EXPERIENCE but that's how it is. Ryzen and am4 platform are wonderful when they work good and stable but when you happen to have such issues it is almost impossible to narrow it and prove.

In my case i was able to get rid off some of freezes by disabling intel's wifi card but this is not a solution and is just a workaround as one of reasons to buy x470 taichi ultimate to me was built-in wifi. That was happening on both units of x470 taichi ultimate.

Freezes and bsods were not happening on borrowed from friend ryzen 1600 but was happening on both units of 2700x.

As i already said, this problem when happens is extremely difficult to narrow and prove. The only not-so-much of a solution is to replace whole build by slightly alternating every component, mainly cpu, motherboard and ram.

A little log from my situation back then:

Now on altered hardware i have no problems.

@spectatorx
But as I said before I don't have freezes or black screens. Just normal bsods mostly pointing to some kind of memory corruption here and there.
I'm very confused now.

Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Mouse Gigabyte Aorus M3
Keyboard Zalman ZM-K300M
@spectatorx
But as I said before I don't have freezes or black screens. Just normal bsods mostly pointing to some kind of memory corruption here and there.
I'm very confused now.
Initially when problems started to happen i was sure it is related to memory and it wasn't as i replaced ram with other model from QVL and problems were still happening. System freezes i narrowed to built-in wlan card so in your case may be not happening as your mobo doesn't have such module.

I recommend you to try different at least motherboard, preferably other motherboard and cpu.

Can you check it with hwinfo or aida, how much it is? I have a guess its around 1V, maybe you can test it with a bit plus voltage like 0.1V
Which one is soc voltage? I'm having a hard time finding it, sorry.
-----
Did the memtest86+ overnight and 8 full passes showed no errors on this single stick.
Then I loaded Windows and afk'ed for 10 minutes just to return to pc bsod showing IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL blaming ntoskrnl.exe and ntfs.sys

Feels like the lower the load the more frequently it bsods.

Edit:
I said it never freezes and it freezed randomly while watching a video.
For test purposes I unplugged HDD too.

What do I even do? I don't have money to just change the whole pc because of that...

Last edited:
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Mouse Gigabyte Aorus M3
Keyboard Zalman ZM-K300M
Which one is soc voltage? I'm having a hard time finding it, sorry.
-----
Did the memtest86+ overnight and 8 full passes showed no errors on this single stick.
Then I loaded Windows and afk'ed for 10 minutes just to return to pc bsod showing IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL blaming ntoskrnl.exe and ntfs.sys

Feels like the lower the load the more frequently it bsods.

Edit:
I said it never freezes and it freezed randomly while watching a video.
For test purposes I unplugged HDD too.

What do I even do? I don't have money to just change the whole pc because of that...
I already told you what to do: replace cpu and motherboard, preferably also ram, there is literally no other solution to that frigging hell. I went through it and i know how irritating that is, i also didn't have money to do things instantly, this hell in my case lasted over half of year until i finally threw all stuff i bought into shop's throat, and trust me, shop was far from helpful and willing to help me to diagnose my problems and replace parts.

Read my reddit thread i linked in previous post, you will see you are doing all the things i did.

Read my reddit thread i linked in previous post, you will see you are doing all the things i did.
I'm trying to not lose faith here especially when I can't just go and buy a new pc.

Can you check it with hwinfo or aida, how much it is? I have a guess its around 1V, maybe you can test it with a bit plus voltage like 0.1V
Bios states it's 1.1v default, but on auto setting. There are only auto and offset options.

Last edited:
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Mouse Gigabyte Aorus M3
Keyboard Zalman ZM-K300M
I'm trying to not lose faith here especially when I can't just go and buy a new pc.

Bios states it's 1.1v default, but on auto setting.
I was avoiding that to last moment too as stuff was top class at the time (except for ram, because of inflated prices i didn't go with any better sticks). x470 taichi ultimate is an amazing motherboard, i loved it and by visuals i prefer it over my current x570 taichi, 2700x also top cpu of 2xxx series. That was really a pity to me to give up on that bundle but ultimately i returned all of it to shop (that wasn't easy and shop was breaking law by refusing to fulfill my customer rights) and received full refund. For refund i was able to get x570 taichi ultimate, 3800x and rx580 8GB nitro+ in other shop, even if i had slightly different plans (3900x, no gpu upgrade).

About ram that i initially purchased, that was g.skill aegis which, if you are not aware of how it is in reality, from pictures you may think it has a radiator, but no, this image you see on a stick of ram is not a radiator, it is lousy sticker on it. [sarcasm] I wonder if glue and paper have thermal dissipation capabilities.[/sarcasm]

@spectatorx
Did you had memtest86 errors on that problem setup?
The reason why I'm still sticking with specifically ram problems (or rather it's incompatibility with cpu/mobo) is because I one had random errors when I did the test. Though the latest test on a single stick showed no errors.

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
Cheapest thing to do would be to order a different kit of ram, preferably one listed in QVL.

Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Mouse Gigabyte Aorus M3
Keyboard Zalman ZM-K300M
@spectatorx
Did you had memtest86 errors on that problem setup?
The reason why I'm still sticking with specifically ram problems (or rather it's incompatibility with cpu/mobo) is because I one had random errors when I did the test. Though the latest test on a single stick showed no errors.
I didn't run memtest86 as it takes too long to provide results which still can be inaccurate. In normal cases BSOD messages are more than enough to properly pinpoint cause of hardware issues. These bsod messages point to faulty memory or memory controller. I replaced both to new units: ram and 2700x, bsods were still happening and frequency didn't matter if i was running at jedec 2133MHz or xmp 3000MHz which they were designed for.