• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ie8 browser hijacked

I

InTeL-iNsIdE

ok my dumb ass house mate has somehow got my ie8 browser hijacked (dodgy pr0n ? ) now whenever i start it up and go to certain pages i get this message :

Warning! Visiting this site may harm your computer!
This web site probably contains malicious software program, which can cause damage to your computer or perform actions without your permission. Your computer may be infected after visiting such web site.

ive had a google and it seems its another one of personal antivirus guise's

only thing is, this isn'nt being picked up avast, spybot s+d or windows malicious software removal tool.

just downloading NOD32 now, any other suggestions.

doesnt seem to be anything else installed, ive checked start up with msconfig and checked all running processes in taskmgr and theres nothing out of the ordinary, seems to me its embedded something into ie8.

its just kind of annoying now.

h3llb3nd4

System Name My mobo is Laughing at me
Processor E7400
Motherboard P5KPL-E Bios flashed to 0601 (Piece of poo!!)
Cooling Thermalright Ultra 120a
Memory GENERIC 2 GB DDR2 800
Video Card(s) NONE!! Beat that!!
Storage 500GB SAMSUNG SATAII, 250GB SAMSUNG SATAII and o'l crappy 4gb maxtor
Display(s) ACER X223W Q
Case AEROCOOL ZERODEGREE (planning to mod)
Audio Device(s) REALTEK ONBOARD
Power Supply GIGABYTE 460W
Software Win 7 x86 build 7022
Benchmark Scores Super Pi 1m 17.000 :(
CCleaner?
Combofix?

I

InTeL-iNsIdE

well carried out umpteen scans and nothing was picked up, ive just reset ie8 back to default settings for all users and so far that seems to have done the trick, maybe it was just something stiored in the temp folder ?

h3llb3nd4

System Name My mobo is Laughing at me
Processor E7400
Motherboard P5KPL-E Bios flashed to 0601 (Piece of poo!!)
Cooling Thermalright Ultra 120a
Memory GENERIC 2 GB DDR2 800
Video Card(s) NONE!! Beat that!!
Storage 500GB SAMSUNG SATAII, 250GB SAMSUNG SATAII and o'l crappy 4gb maxtor
Display(s) ACER X223W Q
Case AEROCOOL ZERODEGREE (planning to mod)
Audio Device(s) REALTEK ONBOARD
Power Supply GIGABYTE 460W
Software Win 7 x86 build 7022
Benchmark Scores Super Pi 1m 17.000 :(
Do you have the above mentioned freewares?
if not, get them and feel very very safe;)

Hey, no knock on other Antivirus-Antispyware programs. I have used at least half of them successfully at one time or another. I've been using Windows Live One Care since 2007 and I haven't had any issues since! I'd recommend you try Morro, which is free and is due out real soon.

D

Duxx

well carried out umpteen scans and nothing was picked up, ive just reset ie8 back to default settings for all users and so far that seems to have done the trick, maybe it was just something stiored in the temp folder ?

Did you use malware bytes and nothing found?

T

twilyth

sounds like your hosts file was corrupted. There is software that will lock the hosts file for you - can't remember the name. Some firewall/av programs will also give you this option. Try the Avira premium suite. It's free for 30 days. They also have a free version IIRC. http://www.avira.com/