1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

If I were to build a new gaming rig.........

Discussion in 'Games' started by HookeyStreet, Jul 17, 2009.

1. HookeyStreet

HookeyStreet Eat, sleep, game!

Thanks Received:
    ........what would I be looking for?

Ive been out of the gaming PC hardware loop for a while now so i dont really have a clue whats hot and whats not lol

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. MRCL

MRCL

Thanks Received:
    You would be looking for hardware most probably. If you are a patient person, wait a few weeks/months. The new generation of graphics cards will appear soon on the market, resulting in
    a) better hardware you don't actually need and
    b) price drops!

3. InTeL-iNsIdE Guest

Whats your system specs now ? have you got a budget ?

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    Budgets a big thing here. Depending on price a lot of things could chane, a good rig from Intel would be something like a i7 920, 285GTX (or 4890), 6GB DDR3. And from AMD camp would be PII 955, 4890 (or 285), 6GB DDR3. But if your looking lower than those costs, PII 720 is a great proc, all matters how much you already have, if you got HDD's and such you will cut off your total costs.

5. HookeyStreet

Thanks Received:
    Basically it would be a build from nothing because at the moment I only have a laptop :(

Im not sure on budget....it would probably be a gradual build ;)

How do the Intel i7's compare to the current AMD cpu's?

Would it be 6GB or 8GB, also DDR2 or DDR3?

Vista 32Bit or 64Bit?

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. Akumos

Akumos

Thanks Received:
    If you go i7 it will be triple channel DDR3, so prrobebly 6GB

If you want to cut costs, the Q6600 is still an awesome processor with great overclocking potential

7. InTeL-iNsIdE Guest

you'll want to go down the x64 route if your going to be running more than 4gb ram obviousley, i wiould reccomend an i7 if your looking to future proof, theres going to be nothing a 920 wont handle for at least 2-3 years easily. 6Gb of tri-channel ddr3 ram should hold you in good stead for a long time

If your going to be doing it in stages i would definately reccomend getting the GPU last as the DX11 cards could be out soon.

10 Year Member at TPU
  8. HookeyStreet

Thanks Received:
    So the 32Bit Vista still doesnt recognise over 4GB, thats handy to know. So it would be x64 I would need.

I used to have the Q6600 and it was (is) an awesome CPU.

I do admit, I prefer Intel to AMD. I didnt realise DX11 was due so soon.

10 Year Member at TPU
  9. InTeL-iNsIdE Guest

well its not iminent but if your buying in stages always better to wait and see, besides windows 7 is released in october, im betting dx11 cards will be out before then

10 Year Member at TPU
  10. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    i'd suggest computer parts.

i7 are hot. toasty buggers. same with many high end AMD chips these days. Cool chips are 775 45nm, these things are awesome for temps.

My suggestion is to save some money, and look at the upcoming socket 1156 platform (mistakenly known as i5 - 1156 supports i5 and i7, with dual channel ram while 1336 uses triple channel ram) and some DX11 cards. The new platform uses intels P55 chipset and definately supports crossfire (SLI is unknown at this point) - so ATI's DX11 cards are a definite suggestion.

Oh and on the x64 stuff: 32 bit died a long time ago. its rotting carcass still offends many tech enthusiasts to this day. For gods sake, go x64 and make everyone else go x64. even my mum uses x64.

if you want a plan of action, i'd suggest hunting down a new case and powersupply in preparation for a new build, and keep an eye on news and reviews until what you want comes out.

10 Year Member at TPU