• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Impractical PC hardware design idea: put the power connectors on the rear of the motherboard

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
This is an idea I've had banging about in my skull for a while now, and the thread about NVIDIA's possible new 12-pin GPU power connector has finally prompted me to post it.

In short, anyone who's built a PC knows that the ATX 24-pin and 4-pin, and EPS 8-pin connectors/cables, are a pain in the proverbial rear to deal with - due to their location and the thickness of their cables. And 99% of the time, the majority of their cable length from the PSU to the motherboard is hidden behind the motherboard tray - it's only the connectors and a short piece of the cable that's actually on the "top" side of the motherboard. Then there's the whole aesthetics thing and modded cables...

So: why not move these connectors to the bottom of the motherboard? Even better, why not do that and take the opportunity to move them closer to the places where they're actually needed - the CPU socket area? Then they're easily accessible via the CPU cooler cutout on most decent cases.

Bonus: make the connectors right-angled so that there is a consistent Z-height between the back of the motherboard and the case side panel, for case design purposes.
Alternative bonus: put the connectors on short wires that connect to the mobo, to allow for a degree of repositioning (similar to how NVIDIA did things with their 2060 Super FE https://www.techpowerup.com/review/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2060-super/4.html).

Yes, I'm aware this would require a fundamental change to both motherboard and probably case design, hence why it's impractical. But in terms of actual engineering, would something like this work and do you believe it would be beneficial?

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
A standard, convenient location would be nice but here's the problem. As you suggested, there is no industry standard for the placement of those connectors. You mention the top side of the motherboard and that makes perfect sense for the millions and millions of cases where the PSU is mounted at the top of the case.

So if they move those connectors to the bottom as you suggest, what happens when the case has a top mounted PSU? Will that force millions and millions to buy new cases? What if the user likes a top mounted PSU? Many do because the master power switch is often easier to reach without crawling on the floor.

My Gigabyte board has the big 24 pin connector at the "front" of the board and that actually works great as I can hide most the cable behind the board. But that of course, is only possible because my case, a Fractal Design R4 provides for "tidy" cable management by giving us space behind the board.

You are right that it would require a major change to the ATX Form Factor design. But I don't see it happening. It was, frankly, a miracle all those major manufacturers agreed on the first AT and then ATX standard. But NO way are they going to agree to another that requires EVERYONE to agree on this.

Look at notebooks. We don't have an ATX Form Factor type standard for notebooks. Why? Because Samsung, Sony, Acer, Intel, AMD, Dell, HP, Lenovo and all the others refused to come to any consensus and agree on a single standard. Each insisted their designs become the standard and of course, none of the others agreed. So we have no standard, no self-build notebook industry to speak of, and worse, a bunch of proprietary designs. :(

So at least, for now, the PC industry has the ATX Form Factor standard. We, as self-builder just need to make sure the cases we choose support good cable management to support our aesthetic requirements. And the PSU has cables long enough. And then be happy connecting power to the motherboard is typically, a one-time event.

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
A standard, convenient location would be nice but here's the problem. As you suggested, there is no industry standard for the placement of those connectors. You mention the top side of the motherboard and that makes perfect sense for the millions and millions of cases where the PSU is mounted at the top of the case.

So if they move those connectors to the bottom as you suggest, what happens when the case has a top mounted PSU? Will that force millions and millions to buy new cases? What if the user likes a top mounted PSU? Many do because the master power switch is often easier to reach without crawling on the floor.

My Gigabyte board has the big 24 pin connector at the "front" of the board and that actually works great as I can hide most the cable behind the board. But that of course, is only possible because my case, a Fractal Design R4 provides for "tidy" cable management by giving us space behind the board.

You are right that it would require a major change to the ATX Form Factor design. But I don't see it happening. It was, frankly, a miracle all those major manufacturers agreed on the first AT and then ATX standard. But NO way are they going to agree to another that requires EVERYONE to agree on this.

Look at notebooks. We don't have an ATX Form Factor type standard for notebooks. Why? Because Samsung, Sony, Acer, Intel, AMD, Dell, HP, Lenovo and all the others refused to come to any consensus and agree on a single standard. Each insisted their designs become the standard and of course, none of the others agreed. So we have no standard, no self-build notebook industry to speak of, and worse, a bunch of proprietary designs. :(

So at least, for now, the PC industry has the ATX Form Factor standard. We, as self-builder just need to make sure the cases we choose support good cable management to support our aesthetic requirements. And the PSU has cables long enough. And then be happy connecting power to the motherboard is typically, a one-time event.

By "bottom" I mean the side that is the bottom when you get the board in its box, or running it on an open bench.

I know this isn't going to happen, I'm just wondering if there's any electrical issues I'm not considering here that would make it infeasible or dangerous or...

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
By "bottom" I mean the side that is the bottom when you get the board in its box, or running it on an open bench.
Yeah, that really does not define bottom. I have seen motherboard's come new in boxes oriented with the "rear" I/O connectors up top as I look inside the open box, and I have seen them at the bottom. And it could be oriented any which way on an open bench.

Let's do it this way. Start with the motherboard mounted in a standard mid tower case. With the case's left side panel off, and looking into the open case (front of the case is to your right), the motherboard's rear panel connectors and expansion card slot are to your left.

In other words, like this:

Note where the 24-pin power connector is located. That's actually where I prefer it.
I'm just wondering if there's any electrical issues
I don't see how there could be any electrical issues - assuming no cables get pinched and cables are long enough so there is enough slack that they are not pulling on the connector, it should not matter.

Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard MSI MPG X570S Carbon Max Wifi
Cooling CPU: bequiet! Dark Rock 4. Case fans: 2x bequiet Silent Wings 3 140s, 2x Silent Wings 3 120s
Memory 2 x 8 GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4-4400 C19
Video Card(s) Sapphire NITRO+ RX 5700 XT
Storage 2TB Mushkin Pilot-E M.2, 1 TB SK Hynix P31 M.2, 1 TB Inland Professional, 500 GB Samsung 860 Evo
Display(s) MSI Optix MAG271CQR 1440p 144Hz, MSI Optix MAG241C 1080p 144Hz
Case Lian Li Lancool III
Audio Device(s) Philips SHP9500, V-Moda BoomPro, Sybasonic Better Connectivity USB DAC/Amp
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G3 80+ Gold 750W
Mouse Glorious Model D Wireless
Keyboard Custom Qwertykeys Navy QK80: Sarokeys Strawberry Wine switches, GMK CYL DMG3 keycaps
@Bill_Bright I'm thinking OP meant on the back of the board, bottom meaning the underside when it's sitting in the box

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 1600X (4.0 GHz @ 1.4V)
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming
Cooling Scythe Mugen 5 with Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM
Memory 8 GBx2 Corsair Vengeance LPX (running at DDR4-2933, CAS 16)
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 1080 Turbo
Storage 1x 500 GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1x 1 TB Crucial MX500 M.2, 2x 3 TB Toshiba P300 7,200 RPM HDD
Display(s) 24" Acer R240HY
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z + Sennheiser HD 558
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
Keyboard Corsair STRAFE RGB (Cherry MX Brown)
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Passmark System Score: 5252.4
Placing CPU power delivery on the back side of the board means that the VRM will likely have to go back there as well - in the area of the case where it would get the least airflow. Heatsinks for the VRM would have to be strictly height-limited to avoid hitting the side panel, reducing their capability. A lack of standardized CPU access cutouts complicates the idea further. Sticking an ATX 24-pin right next to it would only increase the length of copper traces needed to send that power to everything which needs it - fan headers, card slots, whatever - as well as complicating trace layout even more than it already is. It might even be worse for heat dissipation.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Ummm, could be. If so, sorry for me not picking up on that.

But if that is the case, that would not work either. They would have to use much taller standoffs. It could also lead to wider cases when many seek slimmer. And since there is no industry standard for the placement topside, I am sure the manufacturers (case and motherboard) could never agree on one for the backside.

Placing CPU power delivery on the back side of the board means that the VRM will likely have to go back there as well
I don't see why.

In fact, because they need cooling too, it would make sense to keep them on the top.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
and take the opportunity to move them closer to the places where they're actually needed - the CPU socket area?

The 24-pin doesn't provide any power to the CPU socket area, so moving in there wouldn't make sense. The CPU socket area gets all it's power from the 8-pin which is already located next to the socket.

Most of the power from the 24-pin feeds the PCI-E slots.

Yeah, that really does not define bottom. I have seen motherboard's come new in boxes oriented with the "rear" I/O connectors up top as I look inside the open box, and I have seen them at the bottom. And it could be oriented any which way on an open bench.

Let's do it this way. Start with the motherboard mounted in a standard mid tower case. With the case's left side panel off, and looking into the open case (front of the case is to your right), the motherboard's rear panel connectors and expansion card slot are to your left.

In your picture, he's talking about the part of the motherboard you can't see. That's the bottom/rear of the motherboard we're talking about here. It's also known as the back of the motherboard. If you need an illustration it's this:

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
I am near certain that somewhere in the vastness of TPU, there was a mod where a guy soldered his connections to the back of the motherboard. To be honest, it would not be that hard, as all of the soldering happens through the board anyways, so the connection points are already in place.

I also do not see that much of an issue in cases, as wire management room (typically 20-25mm more in better designed cases), plus standard standoff height, would allow for connectivity and the bend of the wires. Case makers would have to retool, and a move like this would kill any potential to sell and already existing chassis to those buyers, but we have all seen sillier trends define what a chassis is at that current time.

It would look awesome, but for the average user, I think they prefer things not to be "hidden" when it comes to trouble shooting.

System Name 1.FortySe7en VR rig 2. intel teliscope rig 3.MSI GP72MVR Leopard Pro .
Processor 1.3900x @stock 2. i7 7700k @5. 3. i7 7700hq
Motherboard 1.aorus x570 ultra 2. z270 Maximus IX Hero
Cooling 1.Hard tube loop, cpu and gpu 2. Hard loop cpu and gpu
Memory 1.Gskill neo @3600 32gb 2.hyperxfury 32gb @3000 3. 16gb hyperx @2400
Video Card(s) 1.GIGABYTE RTX 3080 GAMING OC WaterForce WB 2. Aorus RTX2080 3. 1060 3gb. Arc 770LE 16 gb
Storage 1 M.2 500gb , 2 3tb HDs 2. 256gb ssd, 3tbHD 3. 256 m.2. 1tb ssd
Display(s) 1.LG 50" UHD , oculus rift S.2 MSI Optix MAG342C UWHD. SONY bravia 1080p, . 3.17" 120 hz display
Case 1. Thermaltake P5 2. Thermaltake P3
Audio Device(s) 1 Onboard 2 Onboard 3 Onboard
Power Supply 1.seasonic gx 850w 2. seasonic gx 750w
Mouse 1 ROG Gladius 2 Corsair m65 pro
Keyboard 1. ROG Strix Flare 2. Corsair F75 RBG 3. steelseries RBG
VR HMD rift and rift S and Quest 2.
Software 1. win10 pro 2. win10 pro 3, win10 home
Benchmark Scores 1.7821 cb20 ,cb15 3442 1c 204 cpu-z 1c 539 12c 8847 2. 1106 cb 3.cb 970
i think thats a really good idea, get the hot air on them with some heat resist tape round the plastic bit an i think thay would come off a treat then its just a case of soldering them on the other side good luck id love to see the result, if i had a spare mobo id have a go my self.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
@Assimilator no, no reason at all why you couldn't simply solder the connectors on the flip side of the board, if that's all you're suggesting.
Korean TriGem computers had an SSF system many moons ago that had the power connectors on the flip side, due to how they designed their chassis.
atxreverse.jpg

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
I also do not see that much of an issue in cases, as wire management room (typically 20-25mm more in better designed cases), plus standard standoff height, would allow for connectivity and the bend of the wires. Case makers would have to retool, and a move like this would kill any potential to sell and already existing chassis to those buyers, but we have all seen sillier trends define what a chassis is at that current time.

It would look awesome, but for the average user, I think they prefer things not to be "hidden" when it comes to trouble shooting.
Not really hidden if the panel on the side is removed showing all connections.
All it would take is a couple of more cut outs in the panel holding the Motherboard.
I think it's a brilliant idea to neaten the "visible" side up if you have a glass side panel.

i think thats a really good idea, get the hot air on them with some heat resist tape round the plastic bit an i think thay would come off a treat then its just a case of soldering them on the other side good luck id love to see the result, if i had a spare mobo id have a go my self.
All the wires would need to be removed from the connector and soldered back in, in exactly the same place they were on the Motherboard due to the layout and connector design.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
plus standard standoff height, would allow for connectivity and the bend of the wires.
I don't see how. A typical standoff is about 1/4 inch high once installed. I just checked 3 PSUs here and the 24-pin connectors on each were more than 1/4 inch just for the connector. Adding the additional height for the wires, even if bent sharply and you are looking at at least 1/2 inch of required clearance between the back of the board and case.

Now if there was a cutout in the case that would not be a problem - but again, there is no standard for where that connector must be located. And it would take a miracle to get all the major players in the entire case and motherboard industry to agree on where that cutout should appear.
In your picture, he's talking about the part of the motherboard you can't see.
Yeah. Thanks but pretty sure we got it (me!) straightened out already - probably while you were composing that post.

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
I don't see how. A typical standoff is about 1/4 inch high once installed. I just checked 3 PSUs here and the 24-pin connectors on each were more than 1/4 inch just for the connector. Adding the additional height for the wires, even if bent sharply and you are looking at at least 1/2 inch of required clearance between the back of the board and case.

Now if there was a cutout in the case that would not be a problem - but again, there is no standard for where that connector must be located. And it would take a miracle to get all the major players in the entire case and motherboard industry to agree on where that cutout should appear.

Yeah. Thanks but pretty sure we got it (me!) straightened out already - probably while you were composing that post.

Come on Bill, read the whole thing. I mention standoff and wire management room behind the mobo tray, the hole in the tray for the connector has to be implied to use both the standoff and wire management room...smh

It is not as hard to get something in place. Most, but not all, 24 and 8-pin plugs are all generally in the same areas on boards, with some wiggle room. Nothing a bigger hole with a grommet can't handle.

System Name 1.FortySe7en VR rig 2. intel teliscope rig 3.MSI GP72MVR Leopard Pro .
Processor 1.3900x @stock 2. i7 7700k @5. 3. i7 7700hq
Motherboard 1.aorus x570 ultra 2. z270 Maximus IX Hero
Cooling 1.Hard tube loop, cpu and gpu 2. Hard loop cpu and gpu
Memory 1.Gskill neo @3600 32gb 2.hyperxfury 32gb @3000 3. 16gb hyperx @2400
Video Card(s) 1.GIGABYTE RTX 3080 GAMING OC WaterForce WB 2. Aorus RTX2080 3. 1060 3gb. Arc 770LE 16 gb
Storage 1 M.2 500gb , 2 3tb HDs 2. 256gb ssd, 3tbHD 3. 256 m.2. 1tb ssd
Display(s) 1.LG 50" UHD , oculus rift S.2 MSI Optix MAG342C UWHD. SONY bravia 1080p, . 3.17" 120 hz display
Case 1. Thermaltake P5 2. Thermaltake P3
Audio Device(s) 1 Onboard 2 Onboard 3 Onboard
Power Supply 1.seasonic gx 850w 2. seasonic gx 750w
Mouse 1 ROG Gladius 2 Corsair m65 pro
Keyboard 1. ROG Strix Flare 2. Corsair F75 RBG 3. steelseries RBG
VR HMD rift and rift S and Quest 2.
Software 1. win10 pro 2. win10 pro 3, win10 home
Benchmark Scores 1.7821 cb20 ,cb15 3442 1c 204 cpu-z 1c 539 12c 8847 2. 1106 cb 3.cb 970
id just cut a hole in the case behind the mobo but do it nice, same for 8pin power shame there wasnt a way to hide the gpu s cables as well it would look "sparce" theres a name for it but my word blindness is bad today.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
I can smh too. There's no need to get personal here. I did read it. That's why I took the time to actually measure the length of several standoffs and check multiple PSUs before I replied.

Yes, the hole in the case's tray or back plate has to be implied. But that leads to my point. You say (my bold underline added) "they are all generally in the same areas on boards". While many are, many are not. So I just can't agree with that statement.

Looking down into a case at a mounted board with the rear I/O ports on the left, I have seen motherboards with the main 24 pin power connectors near the top edge, near the CPU (above and below the socket), and all up and down on the right edge. In other words, no standard place at all - even with wiggle room. While I do agree most these days place them near that right edge, it could be anywhere up or down.

Even if they all settled for someone on the right edge, for case makers to cut a hole (with enough wiggle room) to accommodate most right-edge locations, that hole would have to be big - at that could compromise rigidity of the case, standard motherboard mounting hole locations, and EMI/RFI suppression too.

I agree with you and it would be great if there was an industry standard location and position for the main power connector (perhaps for something like this). And if they all could agree on a new and longer standard standoff length. But I think it would be like getting Dell, HP, Samsung, Acer and Lenovo to all agree on the dimensions, chemistry, voltage, amp-hour capacity, and charger connector for a universal laptop battery - ain't going to happen.

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG X570S Tomahawk Max WiFi
Cooling EK Supremacy EVO Elite + EK D5 + EK 420 Rad, TT Toughfan 140x3, TT Toughfan 120x2, Arctic slim 120
Memory 32GB GSkill DDR4-3600 (F4-3600C16-8GVKC)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Radeon RX 7900XTX Gaming OC
Storage WDBlack SN850X 4TB, Samsung 950Pro 512GB, Samsung 850EVO 500GB, 6TB WDRed, 36TB NAS, 8TB Lancache
Display(s) Benq XL2730Z (1440P 144Hz, TN, Freesync) & 2x ASUS VE248
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D
Audio Device(s) Topping D50S + THX AAA 789, TH-X00 w/ V-Moda Boompro; 7Hz Timeless
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Sharkoon Fireglider optical
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB
Software Windows 11 Pro
It can absolutely be done, standardizing it is the cumbersome part.

I am near certain that somewhere in the vastness of TPU, there was a mod where a guy soldered his connections to the back of the motherboard. To be honest, it would not be that hard, as all of the soldering happens through the board anyways, so the connection points are already in place.
The late, great Mark Klebofski (mkmods) is the user who did that.

He actually soldered the connectors to the back of the board and custom fabricated a mounting plate with the corresponding connector on it so the motherboard plugged directly into his custom case with no wires when mounted, as well as custom modifying his PSU to run solid-core copper wire with clear sleeving to the tray, among other things.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
It can absolutely be done
Oh sure. It can be done. There's a whole cottage industry for one-off custom PCs. I've them built into refrigerators, basketballs, desk drawers, aquariums, and more.

But those are like custom paint jobs on your car. They can look gorgeous, but watch out for runaway shopping carts. :(

Processor Ryzen 9 7900 - Ryzen 7 8700G - Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI B650 Project Zero - MSI B650 Project Zero - MSI B650 Project Zero
Cooling Custom water loop - Noctua NH - P1 - Custom water loop
Memory 64GB DDR5 - 64GB DDR5 - 32GB DDR5
Video Card(s) Integrated - 780M - Red Dragon RX 6800 XT
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G7 32" WQHD 2560x1440 240Hz
Case JONSBO D300 - JONSBO TK-1 - Montech King 95
Power Supply Be Quiet 12M 850 - Be Quiet 12M 750 - Corsair 850
Mouse Logitech G403 + Logitech Trackman Marble
Keyboard Logitech G512
Software Win 11 - AIDA64 - HWInfo - Afterburner
It's a reality now and there are cases out there good to go with back mounted connectors.

back mount mb.JPG

mb cutouts.JPG

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
Memory 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Trio
Storage Too much
Display(s) Acer Predator XB3 27" 240 Hz
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Topping DX5, DCA Aeon II
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
It's a reality now and there are cases out there good to go with back mounted connectors.

View attachment 329120

Yep and unfortunately no standard which means it's going to be a huge cluster in regard to compatibility.

Processor Ryzen 9 7900 - Ryzen 7 8700G - Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI B650 Project Zero - MSI B650 Project Zero - MSI B650 Project Zero
Cooling Custom water loop - Noctua NH - P1 - Custom water loop
Memory 64GB DDR5 - 64GB DDR5 - 32GB DDR5
Video Card(s) Integrated - 780M - Red Dragon RX 6800 XT
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G7 32" WQHD 2560x1440 240Hz
Case JONSBO D300 - JONSBO TK-1 - Montech King 95
Power Supply Be Quiet 12M 850 - Be Quiet 12M 750 - Corsair 850
Mouse Logitech G403 + Logitech Trackman Marble
Keyboard Logitech G512
Software Win 11 - AIDA64 - HWInfo - Afterburner
Yep and unfortunately no standard which means it's going to be a huge cluster in regard to compatibility.

Parts on order...I'll let you know. ;)