1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

in case rad mount, what do you guys think?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Chewy, Sep 11, 2007.

1. Chewy

Chewy New Member

Thanks Received:
    I found this diagram of a radiator drawing air from outside into the case.. only thing is wouldnt that bring case temps up by quite a bit? well I guess having good case ventilation would help... but wouldnt this push hot ait from the rad onto the graphics card?

atleast I got a cool idea that I could keep the rad closer to my case and mount the fans on the backside :rockout:. so many options to mounting the rad.. Im in no rush which is a good thing but Im kinda lazy lol so many options :p I'll draw up some diagrams sometime and post them and post em..I may just do a internal rad mount where my HD bay is now.. so its not pushing hot air onto my card and add a 80mm hole/92mm fan to my cases top exaust, which would fit better than a regular 80mm fan :cool:.

the diagram:
    [​IMG]

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. KennyT772

KennyT772 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Should be fine, although I would rather have the fans blow the hot air out of the case, not suck warm air in from the rad. Also why are you using two different sizes of tubing? 3/8 would make more sense as far as cash/performance goes. As is 3/8 vs 1/2 is a small difference with a good pump.

Bore out the hole on top to 92 or 120mm.

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. Chewy

Chewy New Member

Thanks Received:
    ah thats not my design man lol its just one I seen where they were teaching you how to set up a wc system :p

if you want to check oout thier guide...
    >>> http://www.burnoutpc.com/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=265

I was going to paint"shop" up some designs to night for my case, but I feel like playing a game.

Edit: I have a kinda small pump so 1/2 tbing better? its a DD 500lr/hour pump... Im going to cool my 8800gts, e6300, NB.. you think that pump would handle a 360mm rad if needed? atm I am going to see how this 240mm does when I get it all set-up.

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. KennyT772

KennyT772 New Member

Thanks Received:
    small pump? you are pushing over two gallons per minute. I would use whatever your preference is 3/8 or 1/2. That pump is enough for 3 blocks and a 360mm rad. Just don't use jet impringent(sp?) blocks like the swiftech storm.

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. Chewy

Chewy New Member

Thanks Received:

ah ic all my blocks are good I think with keeping thw flow up. Swiftech: Apogee, MCW30, MCW60 (gpu block), yep I read that the MCW30 is very good at not impringenting the flow and the other ones are prob good that way aswell.

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. KennyT772

KennyT772 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Jet Impringet blocks are a design style. instead of passing water by fins (heatsink style) the water goes through a plate with a hole grid in it. Directly under each hole is a metal pin. The design cools very well but it is a high pressure low flow design, and is very restrictive.

The mcw30/60 and apogee gt (which i have sitting on my shelf) all use a diamond pin but it still a finned design. The easy way to tell the difference is that jet style blocks can only work one way, fin designs can work either way. The flow direction from one barb to the other only matters with jet style.

Chewy says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  7. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    I had my SIngle 120mm rad front mounted drawing air in, and it didn't really have much of an effect on my case temps. But, I had 8 120mm in my Stacker, so that probably made all the difference.

10 Year Member at TPU