• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

In need of help diagnosing no boot AMD

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am not sure what BIOS revision the mobo has. Whatever was written to it from factory specs is what it should have.

Probably on the sticker; either, on the box it came in or the board.

Serg

Update update update

Today I received the new or refurbished power supply. Plugged everything in, started the PC and same issue. No display, card still showing 3 LED's and nothing different.

Eidairaman, when I had the PSU on the carpet and the MB inside the case, a part of the MB was touching the case, could this ground out the MB? Or the CPU? I wish I had more parts to test with, so I'd know for sure if it was the CPU or MB, nevertheless, newegg has the 30 day return warranty so I need to figure this out quick, how can I test and see if it is the CPU or in fact the MB?

Because at this point, the PSU is ruled out, not sure how I can rule in or out on the CPU or MB, any ideas?

Thanks!

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
i would try to clear the CMOS aleast one more time since it should be a jumper cap on that motherboard and isolate the entire setup one more time.

if the back or side of the motherboard is touching the case yes it causes that.

Honestly Id check to ensure that CPU is in the motherboard right with the heatsink and fan (No bent Pins), and ensure all power connections are hooked up to the motherboard such as EPS 12V and ensure the video card has cables plugged into it. Worst case scenario would be to pull that video card and just power up the motherboard see if CPU fan spins up.

If the video card is in question Id pull it from the machine and have it tested at a local PC repair shop to verify if its defective or what, Since they should have more power supplies than you do. If the card boots up on their machine then 3 things have occurred- your powersupply isnt strong enough, motherboard is crap or doesnt have a bios needed, cpu is crap or not seated right.

Today I received the new or refurbished power supply. Plugged everything in, started the PC and same issue. No display, card still showing 3 LED's and nothing different.

Eidairaman, when I had the PSU on the carpet and the MB inside the case, a part of the MB was touching the case, could this ground out the MB? Or the CPU? I wish I had more parts to test with, so I'd know for sure if it was the CPU or MB, nevertheless, newegg has the 30 day return warranty so I need to figure this out quick, how can I test and see if it is the CPU or in fact the MB?

Because at this point, the PSU is ruled out, not sure how I can rule in or out on the CPU or MB, any ideas?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Serg

Well then hell, :banghead:

Since my card is saying GPU failure and I'm not getting any display, and still not getting a POST and USB ports are still dead to say the least, I guess the MB is dead!

When everything was in the case, the MB touched the bottom of the case and the back, now even come to think of it, I think my GPU is fried too because when I hooked up the connection for the back, I believe the little bit of the connector metal piece was touching the back of the case, damnit!

So dead MB and dead GPU, any idea if theres a chance the CPU could have gone too?

Thanks for such a quick reply bro

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Check my previous msg, i updated it.

Well worst case scenario would be, CPU, motherboard, GPU, Ram being shorted out if the motherboard touches the case. Right now Id honestly take the setup into the local PC shop and verify the parts are dead or alive so you dont have to buy parts n waste money on something you dont need. heck sometimes those power button hookups are confusing.

btw your board has built in power and reset button right?

Well then hell, :banghead:

Since my card is saying GPU failure and I'm not getting any display, and still not getting a POST and USB ports are still dead to say the least, I guess the MB is dead!

When everything was in the case, the MB touched the bottom of the case and the back, now even come to think of it, I think my GPU is fried too because when I hooked up the connection for the back, I believe the little bit of the connector metal piece was touching the back of the case, damnit!

So dead MB and dead GPU, any idea if theres a chance the CPU could have gone too?

Thanks for such a quick reply bro

Serg

i would try to clear the CMOS aleast one more time since it should be a jumper cap on that motherboard and isolate the entire setup one more time.

Honestly Id check to ensure that CPU is in the motherboard right with the heatsink and fan (No bent Pins), and ensure all power connections are hooked up to the motherboard such as EPS 12V and ensure the video card has cables plugged into it. Worst case scenario would be to pull that video card and just power up the motherboard see if CPU fan spins up.

If the video card is in question Id pull it from the machine and have it tested at a local PC repair shop to verify if its defective or what, Since they should have more power supplies than you do. If the card boots up on their machine then 3 things have occurred- your powersupply isnt strong enough, motherboard is crap or doesnt have a bios needed, cpu is crap or not seated right.

Okay so i just now cleared the CMOS again, the whole setup is still benched. Checked, rechecked and triple checked all connections including the CPU and GPU.

The CPU fan spins with and without the MB, and when starting the PC I can hear the Hard Drives Spin / Load Up...

Wow, what a hassle...this crap is like a nagging wife that wont stop accusing you of cheating. :shadedshu:banghead:

So what say you Eidairaman, the MB sound like a culprit?

Serg

btw your board has built in power and reset button right?

Nope, doesn't.

Not sure if this helps or not, but I can turn the PC on with the PWB but holding it will not shut the PC off. Weird.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Did you make sure the VGA/DVI/HDMI cable is plugged in (Sorry to ask thats happened to me before)

If it all else boots, that video card maybe bad, Id take it to a shop to verify if its bad or not, heck take the whole system in for verification, cuz if you do that then you can avoid having to buy unnecessary parts

Okay so i just now cleared the CMOS again, the whole setup is still benched. Checked, rechecked and triple checked all connections including the CPU and GPU.

The CPU fan spins with and without the MB, and when starting the PC I can hear the Hard Drives Spin / Load Up...

Wow, what a hassle...this crap is like a nagging wife that wont stop accusing you of cheating. :shadedshu:banghead:

So what say you Eidairaman, the MB sound like a culprit?

Last edited:

Serg

Did you make sure the VGA/DVI/HDMI cable is plugged in (Sorry to ask thats happened to me before)

If it all else boots, that video card maybe bad, Id take it to a shop to verify if its bad or not, heck take the whole system in for verification, cuz if you do that then you can avoid having to buy unnecessary parts

Yeah its plugged in, lol, no problem you're helping and thats all that matters at this point.

Well okay, answer this; If the CPU fan spins, that doesn't necessarily mean that the CPU is good, right?

If the GPU is dead, my USB ports would still work, correct? Because my keyboard and mouse is inactive, no laser and no NUM Lock light.

If the MB is bad, it would constitute my USB ports to be dead, also it would constitute my GPU saying its failing if its not getting a read back from the MB, right?

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Yeah its plugged in, lol, no problem you're helping and thats all that matters at this point.

Well okay, answer this; If the CPU fan spins, that doesn't necessarily mean that the CPU is good, right?

If the GPU is dead, my USB ports would still work, correct? Because my keyboard and mouse is inactive, no laser and no NUM Lock light.

If the MB is bad, it would constitute my USB ports to be dead, also it would constitute my GPU saying its failing if its not getting a read back from the MB, right?

Q1- In most cases if the CPU is not inserted properly the machine fails to powerup at all, it seems you are getting power to the CPU fan, but to makesure, shut down and ensure the CPU is in the board right and does not have any bent pins
Q2, if GPU is dead, USB ports should still be good
Q3, yes the ports on the motherboard are dead, and I cant give you a solid answer to the other part as the card could verywell be bad.

btw whats the specific model of that video card.

Serg

Q1- In most cases if the CPU is not inserted properly the machine fails to powerup at all, it seems you are getting power to the CPU fan, but to makesure, shut down and ensure the CPU is in the board right and does not have any bent pins
Q2, if GPU is dead, USB ports should still be good
Q3, yes the ports on the motherboard are dead, and I cant give you a solid answer to the other part as the card could verywell be bad.

btw whats the specific model of that video card.

Okay thanks you reinforced my thoughts on this so now we're on the same page, your answers were just as I'd thought they'd be.

The model is ASRock 970 Extreme 3.

Yeah I ensured there are no bent pins and it is inserted correctly. I'm starting to think the MB is dead and so is the GPU. Because I didn't have them properly grounded in the case, so thats my boo boo on that one. At least newegg is good on returns and I already got a RMA / UPS Label to send the board out for a replacement. :ohwell:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Okay thanks you reinforced my thoughts on this so now we're on the same page, your answers were just as I'd thought they'd be.

The model is ASRock 970 Extreme 3.

Yeah I ensured there are no bent pins and it is inserted correctly. I'm starting to think the MB is dead and so is the GPU. Because I didn't have them properly grounded in the case, so thats my boo boo on that one. At least newegg is good on returns and I already got a RMA / UPS Label to send the board out for a replacement. :ohwell:

You Know What, Id take that video card and motherboard in and verify that its bad or not before shipping the motherboard off. If its infact the video card- check the warranty and see if you can get an equivalent replacement or better

btw I was saying video card. n ya sometimes boards come in DOA too which sucks

Serg

Okay, you have any idea on what the charge should be around for the tests?

And my video card is the ATI Radeon HD 4870. And I've had that card for about 2 years now and its out of warranty :(

And yes boards do come DOA, newegg even had me acknowledge and e-sign after reading the whole DOA crap for the MB and CPU.

But hey brotha, I'm tired as hell and got some cars to work on tomorrow, so this post will be farewell until sometime later tomorrow.

Once again thanks for your help and concerns, I more than appreciate it.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
I would say 20 bux but im not 100% sure, I mean it would save you a few bux from having to ship off something that isnt broken at all ya know

Okay, you have any idea on what the charge should be around for the tests?

And my video card is the ATI Radeon HD 4870. And I've had that card for about 2 years now and its out of warranty :(

And yes boards do come DOA, newegg even had me acknowledge and e-sign after reading the whole DOA crap for the MB and CPU.

But hey brotha, I'm tired as hell and got some cars to work on tomorrow, so this post will be farewell until sometime later tomorrow.

Once again thanks for your help and concerns, I more than appreciate it.

Serg

Finally!

Good news, finally!

Seems that eidaraiman, you were right from the very beginning. Me not having much experience with too many builds, I completely let go of the fact that if on the carpet, the electromagnetic static will ground and burn up the electric modules.

The PSU was bad, it had grounded out on the carpet. Having a 5 year warranty from SeaSonic, this PSU was replaced free of charge, just paid shipping. Upon receiving the PSU, I was only brought to disappointment in the fact that the PSU was not the only culprit. Once again, eidaraiman, you were absolutely correct in the fact that the MB had grounded out on the case, and since I had the MB inside the case, but still on the carpet, it too had burnt up.

So, an easy RMA from newegg and 5 days later, a new 970 ASRock Extreme 3 came in, and after plugging everything in and benching it, this rig ran flawlessly.

After getting to know the Extreme Tune software and this awesome unlocked bios, I was able to fully unlock my CPU and all of the cores, along with raise the voltage for my RAM, PCIe, HT Bus and CPU, I am also OC'ing this bad boy to 4.7.

This SeaSonic PSU, seems to be more than sufficient for the rig. Next upgrade in mind would be the 750w PSU + another HD 4870 to hook up with crossfire.

If not this forum, or the helpful members, this process would have taken much longer.

Thanks to all of you for helping, mad respect and lotsa sunshine from Cali!

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Sure thing dude