• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

In response to "Mojave Experience"

This video that was just posted in another thread here:

http://www.mojaveexperiment.com/

Im sorry, but I had to start a new thought about this. Ok, The Mojave seems to have been a success for microsoft. So "the public" would think. However, they repackage vista into a new flashy box and call it mojave. Seriously, how many people have not seen Vista by now? Do you not walk through a department store? Or see your friends pc on when you visit for "coffee". Also, for those that have not seen vista yet, to make a claim at this point saying "its incredible" or " things you could only dream of". WTF are they talking about. Obviously your not computer literate if you havent seen it yet, and second a Gadget bar is not "revolutionary". Neither is transparent boxes. So, it must be the boot screen, or the calculator. So what in detail is so "like a dream". I mean, i have used vista. i have a 32 bit and 64 copy of ult. I have tried both. I like it because its pretty, thats it. Im not bashing on it, but more im bashing on the Mojave experience, its a wolf in sheeps clothing. Its a wash. I have gone back to XP. but for those that are still running vista, more power to you. But the Mojave experience is crap. Its straight marketing from microsoft...where did these people come from? I mean the black lady with dreads looks like something straight off of a vista magazine ad (Another person with thier laptop smiling while working with vista). I hate it!

EDIT: I had to watch it again...whats with the semi-homosexual guy with the beenie cap on. Is he supposed to represent "our" generation. I surely hope not.

Picture is from maddox.xmission.com

Attachments

• black_hotness2.jpg
    black_hotness2.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 411
Last edited:
Processor AMD FX 8320 @ 4GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5 rev1
Cooling Corsair H70
Memory 4 x 4GB DDR3 Ripjawz 1600Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Vapor-X AMD R9 280X
Storage 1 x 500GB Samsung Evo 850, 1 x 500GB Vrap Data Drive, 3 x 2TB Seagate, 1 x 1TB Samsung F1
Display(s) 3 x DGM IPS-2402WDH
Case Coolermaster HAF X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Coolermaster 1000W Silent Pro M
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Of course it's marketing. They're trying to rid themselves of the awful reputation that Vista engendered in the first few months of it's release (and BETA to be honest). I think it's more to get people to think again than to actually believe 100% what they all say. So instead of them going "oh Vista, what a piece of shit, I'll never touch that" they think "hmm, well those people changed their minds, maybe it's different/more stable/better now?" and at least try it.

It's all about getting people to try it, rather than drop what they are doing an run out and buy it, because I can guarantee that 99% of people who actually try Vista for any length of time will go out and buy it, those who don't try it for themselves will always have all the bad press in the back of their minds. Who wants to pay £200 for an OS that's been slated by everyone and everything?

But whats the point of making someone like this even upgrade to vista in the first place. I mean, it seems these people came from a cave or under a rock. So obviously these are the "i purchase a computer every 6 years when my old one stops working". So there next pc will have vista on it by default. So, thats the whole point. I mean I agree it is intended to rid themselves of a reputation. But this is a crap way to do it. Put an ad in the paper and "we will pay $100 to join in a experimental survey for people who have not tried vista". Or something along those lines. Its just shady and definently a Ballmer idea. I also really dont like the fact that it gets people stirred up so much. Even me for example, becasue its done its job then. My experience with vista is I had tried it off and on for 2 years now, and im still back to XP everytime when i finally just give up and am tired of dealing with the short comings of vista that have not been addressed yet. Sure in time I WILL go back to vista, becasue its nice and is def more "cool" than xp. But , personally, I am going to wait for SP2.

OH MAN, and yeah. If its people like this that are happy with using vista after a 20 min run of the mill in a survey room, then what are they doing on it. Sure they can consider it a "good os" as soon as they are past the boot screen. Because obvioulsy they are not setting up ftp servers, networking, etc.... They would say, hey. i can send my mails with outlook, the calendar on the gadget bar is great, I like the windows ( how they are transparent) and the internet "Works". Nope, not enough for me

Last edited:
Cooling Corsair H70
Storage 1 x 500GB Samsung Evo 850, 1 x 500GB Vrap Data Drive, 3 x 2TB Seagate, 1 x 1TB Samsung F1
Case Coolermaster HAF X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G510
But whats the point of making someone like this even upgrade to vista in the first place. I mean, it seems these people came from a cave or under a rock. So obviously these are the "i purchase a computer every 6 years when my old one stops working". So there next pc will have vista on it by default. So, thats the whole point. I mean I agree it is intended to rid themselves of a reputation. But this is a crap way to do it. Put an ad in the paper and "we will pay $100 to join in a experimental survey for people who have not tried vista". Or something along those lines. Its just shady and definently a Ballmer idea. I also really dont like the fact that it gets people stirred up so much. Even me for example, becasue its done its job then. My experience with vista is I had tried it off and on for 2 years now, and im still back to XP everytime when i finally just give up and am tired of dealing with the short comings of vista that have not been addressed yet. Sure in time I WILL go back to vista, becasue its nice and is def more "cool" than xp. But , personally, I am going to wait for SP2.

OH MAN, and yeah. If its people like this that are happy with using vista after a 20 min run of the mill in a survey room, then what are they doing on it. Sure they can consider it a "good os" as soon as they are past the boot screen. Because obvioulsy they are not setting up ftp servers, networking, etc.... They would say, hey. i can send my mails with outlook, the calendar on the gadget bar is great, I like the windows ( how they are transparent) and the internet "Works". Nope, not enough for me

But that's what marketing is about. To get people talking, to get the word out. It's not about what they did, but about how it changes your perceptions. That's what marketing is all about :)

sure, but "the mojave experiemnt" is BS. This should in no way be taken as a mind changing "experiemnt". It proves nothing. Its only surface level. You can always buy into anything you see. Im not trying to hate on you , or marketing in general. But this Mojave thing , argh!

BTW, Darknova YOU ROCK!!!!!

B1gg3stN00b

System Name Free Rig/Compaq Laptop
Processor E6750/Turion X2 1.9ghz
Motherboard EVGA 680i SLI/Quanta EA30
Cooling Random big fans!
Memory 8GB Geil Black Dragon/2GB G-Skill 4-4-4-12
Video Card(s) Nvidia 8800GTS/Nvidia 7000M - Hauppage PCIX TV Tuner
Storage 250gb SATA WD/120gb internal Samsung SATA
Display(s) ASUS 21.5" 1080P monitor
Case Raidmax Smilodon/Regular
Audio Device(s) Stock into 2.1 Altec Lansing Rig
Power Supply Cooler Master 650W/12 cell HP battery
Software Vista Ult. 64 Bit, Ubuntu 64 Bit 8.10/Vista Ult. 32 Bit, Ubuntu 8.04 32
TBH, shut up.

They're just trying to prove that half the people who talk trash on a perfectly functional and secure OS are people who have never even used it and you should look past opinions to try it for yourself.

alexp999

Staff
System Name Gaming Rig | Uni Laptop
Processor Intel Q6600 G0 (2007) @ 3.6Ghz @ 1.45625v (LLC) / 4 GHz Bench @ 1.63v | AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-62 2 GHz
Motherboard ASUS P5Q Deluxe (Intel P45) | HP 6715b
Cooling Xigmatek Dark Knight w/AC MX2 ~ Case Fans: 2 x 180mm + 1 x 120mm Silverstone Fans
Memory 4GB OCZ Platinum PC2-8000 @ 1000Mhz 5-5-5-15 2.1v | 2 x 1GB DDR2 667 MHz
Video Card(s) XFX GTX 285 1GB, Modded FTW BIOS @ 725/1512/1350 w/Accelero Xtreme GTX 280 + Scythe sinks| ATI X1250
Storage 2x WD6400AAKS 1 TB Raid 0, 140GB Raid 1 & 80GB Maxtor Basics External HDD (storage) | 160GB 2.5"
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster SM2433BW @ 1920 x 1200 via DVI-D | 15.4" WSXGA+ (1680 x 1050 resolution)
Case Silverstone Fortress FT01B-W ~ Logitech G15 R1 / Microsoft Laser Mouse 6000
Audio Device(s) Soundmax AD2000BX Onboard Sound, via Logitech X-230 2.1 | ADI SoundMAX HD Audio
Power Supply Corsair TX650W | HP 90W
Software Windows 7 Ultimate Build 7100 x64 | Windows 7 Ultimate Build 7100 x64
Benchmark Scores 3DM06: 19519, Vantage: P16170 ~ Win7: -CPU 7.5 -MEM 7.5 -AERO 7.9 -GFX 6.0 -HDD 6.0
You've got to remember this isnt aimed at people like us, best way I can describe it (tho only UK people will probably understand this).

Its aimed at the sort of people who shop at PC World.

B1gg3stN00b

Cooling Random big fans!
Software Vista Ult. 64 Bit, Ubuntu 64 Bit 8.10/Vista Ult. 32 Bit, Ubuntu 8.04 32
Also, don't be pissy about a marketing staff doing their job. I don't hear you posting threads angry that coke commercials do their job when people go to grab a 12 pack after watching one.

TBH, shut up.

They're just trying to prove that half the people who talk trash on a perfectly functional and secure OS are people who have never even used it and you should look past opinions to try it for yourself.

+10 on maturity "biggest noob". As I said, im not hating on the OS if you would actually read what is written. But i will leave it at that for now.....

Processor C2Q6600 @ 1.6 GHz
Motherboard Anus PQ5
Cooling ACFPro
Memory GEiL2 x 1 GB PC2 6400
Video Card(s) MSi 4830 (RIP)
Storage Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320 GB Perpendicular Recording
Display(s) Dell 17'
Case El Cheepo
Audio Device(s) 7.1 Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Software MCE2K5
Best buy cousin?

B1gg3stN00b

Cooling Random big fans!
+10 on maturity "biggest noob". As I said, im not hating on the OS if you would actually read what is written. But i will leave it at that for now.....

Because the internet is srs bsns :banghead:

It did it's job and you complain about successful marketing because of a negative experience in doing something probably beyond what the average user does.

I personally feel Mojave is a wonderful thing, as PC users have always had this negative view of Vista when they've never used it, and this may draw some XP/OSx users to the Vista field to at LEAST give it a try.

Also, I know tons of people who've never used Vista.

I recently set up a laptop for a friend, it was his first Vista PC, replacing a Sempron 3000+ build with 192mb RAM.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
TBH, shut up.

You have that quote in your signature yet you tell people to shut up?! You should be able to get your point across without telling people to "shut up". Grow up.:slap:

Processor Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 3.40GHz (400x8.5)
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P Rev 1.1
Cooling Xigmatek HDT-S1283
Memory 2x Crucial Ballistix DDR2 2GB 4:5 @ 500MHz 5-5-5-15
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 560Ti 1GB TOP Edition
Storage Crucial M4 128GB SSD + WD Black 500GB WD5001AALS
Display(s) Samsung P2370HD @ 1920x1080 60Hz
Case Antec 300
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Live! 24-bit w/ Creative Inspire T6060 5.1 200W
Power Supply CoolerMaster Silent Pro Gold 600w
Software Windows 7 Professional Edition SP1 64-bit

B1gg3stN00b

Cooling Random big fans!
Again, internet, srs bsns.

Yeah, my signature holds a quote in German which translates to "The wind of freedom blows".

...And that is relevant in no way at all to the current argument.

He's just simply bashing successful marketing and I find it annoying because a couple of guys on Microsoft's PR staff did a good job and he's STILL criticizing it because he feels it's a horrible thing to expose people to a product.

I'm not 35, nor pretending to act it, I'm a young kid, I'll grow up in time when I feel like it, but still see no meaning to be so stuck up and proper on a simple internet forum.

Because the internet is srs bsns :banghead:

It did it's job and you complain about successful marketing because of a negative experience in doing something probably beyond what the average user does.

I personally feel Mojave is a wonderful thing, as PC users have always had this negative view of Vista when they've never used it, and this may draw some XP/OSx users to the Vista field to at LEAST give it a try.

Also, I know tons of people who've never used Vista.

I recently set up a laptop for a friend, it was his first Vista PC, replacing a Sempron 3000+ build with 192mb RAM.

Fair enough, but is it considered successful marketing to pay someone to tell you there thoughts about something after using it for 10-20 minutes. Whats successful about that. And to say that because of this Mojave experience, now OSX (MAC) users are going to use vista. Maybe you want to edit that?

And to your edit, a sempron 3000 with 192 mb ram is exactly my point. People who are using equipment like make it hard for people like me to take thier opinion seriously. ;) So, he must have gone directly from 1997 -2007 in hardware and software?

By the way, how is it possible to call someone stuck up and proper when someones responses are 5 times more harsh?

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
Again, internet, srs bsns.

Yeah, my signature holds a quote in German which translates to "The wind of freedom blows".

...And that is relevant in no way at all to the current argument.

He's just simply bashing successful marketing and I find it annoying because a couple of guys on Microsoft's PR staff did a good job and he's STILL criticizing it because he feels it's a horrible thing to expose people to a product.

I'm not 35, nor pretending to act it, I'm a young kid, I'll grow up in time when I feel like it, but still see no meaning to be so stuck up and proper on a simple internet forum.

This forum is for mature people. Perhaps you should leave and come back when you are mature enough to have respect for other people.

B1gg3stN00b

Cooling Random big fans!
I do have respect for him, but that doesn't mean I won't talk to him as another guy would "one of the guys". Just because you're a mature person doesn't mean you have to be serious about everything, especially in your language. I'm not going to kiss his ass, because it's the internet, and it's not the place for kissing ass. We're on the same network that houses 4chan, need I remind you.

Cyber, I'm not saying they will, I'm just saying it did it's job in exposing people who had not used it before to the operating system and hopefully will give other people that shot.

Just because some people haven't used both product A and B, doesn't mean those who have should tell those who haven't tried product B not to use product B on their own personal experience because it may be right for them.

Openness is key!

Also, I would figure a harsh response would be a signal of immaturity.

Anyways, there's already a thread about this experience elsewhere in GH, and it's not so big of a trainwreck as this one.

I dont think this thread is a trainwreck at all. I think your "thoughts" in here is what put it off course. If you did not agree on what was said, then dont say anything. Leave it to the next person who has a similar thought!

System Name Univac SLI Edition
Processor Intel Xeon 1650 V3 @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard eVGA X99 FTW K
Cooling EK Supremacy EVO, Swiftech MCP50x, Alphacool NeXXos UT60 360, Black Ice GTX 360
Memory 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz
Video Card(s) Nvidia Titan X Tri-SLI w/ EK Blocks
Storage HyperX Predator 240GB PCI-E, Samsung 850 Pro 512GB
Display(s) Dell UltraSharp 34" Ultra-Wide (U3415W) / (Samsung 48" Curved 4k)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Acrylic Edition
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Thermaltake 1350watt Toughpower Modular
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard CODE 10 keyless MX Clears
Software Windows 10 Pro
I agree with both of you to an extent. I mean seriously if you brought them in and showed them Vista as Vista do you really think they would be like "Wow thats awesome"? No they would most likely keep their same opinion of the OS only because of what they have heard. Yet bring them in and "trick" them it only makes them realize that what other people where saying was n00b and those other people prolly never used it either.

And you missed what all that guy said. He said its everything you could only dream of a few years back. (Or something like that). Meaning Vista > 98se.

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
What Microsoft is doing is killing dogma, not promoting their stuff. A lot of people (who probably never even used Vista themselves) have this dogma that "Vista is bad, it stinks like sleeping next to a skunk"...but really, without first-hand experience, merely listening to what the local nerd in the friends circle says, and living with the fact that MS really did fix a lot of things with Vista, all that remains is dogma. It has to go. Hence Mojave.

Cooling EK Supremacy EVO, Swiftech MCP50x, Alphacool NeXXos UT60 360, Black Ice GTX 360
Mouse Logitech G502
Software Windows 10 Pro
Also Mojave isnt real.

What Microsoft is doing is killing dogma, not promoting their stuff. A lot of people (who probably never even used Vista themselves) have this dogma that "Vista is bad, it stinks like sleeping next to a skunk"...but really, without first-hand experience, merely listening to what the local nerd in the friends circle says, and living with the fact that MS really did fix a lot of things with Vista, all that remains is dogma. It has to go. Hence Mojave.

But my view on this is, how are you killing dogma, when your "tricking" your own customers. That in itself is bad practice.

rflair

System Name Main PC
Processor Intel Q9550@3.83GHz
Motherboard ASUS P5K-E
Cooling Thermalright TRU120
Memory 8 GB OCZ Reaper
Video Card(s) ATI 4890@940/1100
Storage 3.5 TB
Display(s) 24" Dell, 42" Sharp Aquos
Case Antec 900
Audio Device(s) SB Audigy ZS
Power Supply PC P&C 860
Software Windows 7 SP1 x64
This video that was just posted in another thread here:

http://www.mojaveexperiment.com/

Im sorry, but I had to start a new thought about this. Ok, The Mojave seems to have been a success for microsoft. So "the public" would think. However, they repackage vista into a new flashy box and call it mojave. Seriously, how many people have not seen Vista by now? Do you not walk through a department store? Or see your friends pc on when you visit for "coffee". Also, for those that have not seen vista yet, to make a claim at this point saying "its incredible" or " things you could only dream of". WTF are they talking about. Obviously your not computer literate if you havent seen it yet, and second a Gadget bar is not "revolutionary". Neither is transparent boxes. So, it must be the boot screen, or the calculator. So what in detail is so "like a dream". I mean, i have used vista. i have a 32 bit and 64 copy of ult. I have tried both. I like it because its pretty, thats it. Im not bashing on it, but more im bashing on the Mojave experience, its a wolf in sheeps clothing. Its a wash. I have gone back to XP. but for those that are still running vista, more power to you. But the Mojave experience is crap. Its straight marketing from microsoft...where did these people come from? I mean the black lady with dreads looks like something straight off of a vista magazine ad (Another person with thier laptop smiling while working with vista). I hate it!

EDIT: I had to watch it again...whats with the semi-homosexual guy with the beenie cap on. Is he supposed to represent "our" generation. I surely hope not.

Picture is from maddox.xmission.com

So your reply is, I'm a racist, a bigot and a homophobe and being so these people's opinion have no value.

Get over it.

Last edited:
Cooling Corsair H70
Case Coolermaster HAF X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G510
sure, but "the mojave experiemnt" is BS. This should in no way be taken as a mind changing "experiemnt". It proves nothing. Its only surface level. You can always buy into anything you see. Im not trying to hate on you , or marketing in general. But this Mojave thing , argh!

BTW, Darknova YOU ROCK!!!!!

Heheh, no offence taken my friend. I never said the experiment itself wasn't BS, that's what most marketing is based around, a load of BS that gets you to think in a different way, generally in favour of said product they are advertising. Chances are those people were paid and knew what they were doing the whole time, that's marketing, and if it gets people thinking that Vista is a worthwhile investment then it's done it's job regardless of how it got there.

Ends justify the means :)

Mouse Logitech G502
Software Windows 10 Pro
Because most people have to learn the hard way that what they think is wrong. I can attest that 75% of Americans are hard headed and once they get in their ways and thought process it takes something like that to make them think otherwise.