• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ingame suttering problem with MSI K8N Neo2 Plat.

Slayerstaps

Well i've tried everything by now and i can't seem to find out why the stuttering doesn't go away. The problem goes away when i don't overclock my vid card but a 6800 non ultra @ stock is no go. I had no problems with it on my other board a p4p800 3 deluxe. And now when i oc it on this board games and becnhmarks hang for about 5 secs at random. It's really frustrating and i can't seem to fix it...Some help would be really nice

My PSU is a zalman 400W

Last edited:
It definately has to do with the overclocking if running it at stock makes the problem go away. Perhaps you should see what exactly causes the stuttering. Memory overclock? core overclock? unlocked pipes? And does it happen at a certain speed or even when you overclock it 1Mhz?
Random hanging does sound like temperature problems. What are your cards temps? (perhaps you bumped the heatsink while swapping the mobo?)

Slayerstaps

I'm sry but i always forget to tell the whole story :D
Temps are fine everything is fine. I even swapped the mobo's again when i had the problem. Tested a day with my old mobo no probs. Swapped back again and i have the stuttering. Swapped again and i could play without any stuttering again. and yeah it only happens when i overclock. And it seems i'm not the only one with this problemen many others on other forums also have this problem with this board. And they also only have the stuttering when they oc. Some fixed it with turning off fast writes older drivers etc. Nothing of that worked for me.

The stuttering starts at around 10 mhz increase on the core and mem. It doesn't happen very often then but still anoying and the higher i go the less time there is between the stuttering. First like once a hour and @ my old speeds it's like once every 5 min.

And it's not really hanging it stutters for about 5 secs and everything hangs then. The image the sound everything. After the 5 secs it just continues like nothing happend..

I'm gonna test if disabling the shader has any effect...To be continued

Slayerstaps

Can't anymore i think. i needed a couple of days to test everything. But stuttering because of overclocking isn't really a reason to return it cause it works fine. And the period that i could return it no questions asked is over. I can still try though maybe they will tkae it back.

Btw, i tried every bios for this mobo from 1.4 to the new 1.8 beta nothing helps to clear the stuttering

Overclock it in the bios, tell them it stutters.

I did that before, OC it so it malfunctions and then return :)

Jimmy 2004

System Name Jimmy 2004's PC
Processor S754 AMD Athlon64 3200+ @ 2640MHz
Motherboard ASUS K8N
Cooling AC Freezer 64 Pro + Zalman VF1000 + 5x120mm Antec TriCool Case Fans
Memory 1GB Kingston PC3200 (2x512MB)
Video Card(s) Saphire 256MB X800 GTO @ 450MHz/560MHz (Core/Memory)
Storage 500GB Western Digital SATA II + 80GB Maxtor DiamondMax SATA
Display(s) Digimate 17" TFT (1280x1024)
Case Antec P182
Audio Device(s) Audigy 4 + Creative Inspire T7900 7.1 Speakers
Power Supply Corsair HX520W
Software Windows XP Home
This doesn't help at all, but one of my friends has the same motherboard and CPU as you, and he experience strange things like random crashes and the bios reporting temperatures of 55 degrees when you first turn on the PC and he has installed 3 extra case fans and used the stock cooling for the CPU and hasn't manage to overcome this problem. Have you heard of anything else like this for this motherboard?

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
Slayer... By chance are you running Antispyware in the back ground? It maybe an app starting or scanning... I'm sure you tried to run using msconfig to run with a selected start up... disable services not used and unplug the network cable ...Antivirus maybe? I'm saying this because a friend discribed the same symtoms and it turned out to be Web Roots scanning memory in the back ground... but in your issue it stops when you run at default speeds ... :confused:

Processor AMD 5800x
Motherboard ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Custom Water Loop
Memory 32GB G.Skill Trident Z neo
Video Card(s) Sapphire Vega 64
Storage Sabrent Rocket 4 NVMEs / SSDs
Display(s) 27" AOC AG271QX
Case Phanteks Enthoo Evolve
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster AE-7
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 750
Software Windows 10
Wow...seems a lot of people are having problems with that type of mobo. I have read a few things of problems with it.

-Dan

Slayerstaps

Urlyin said:
Slayer... By chance are you running Antispyware in the back ground? It maybe an app starting or scanning... I'm sure you tried to run using msconfig to run with a selected start up... disable services not used and unplug the network cable ...Antivirus maybe? I'm saying this because a friend discribed the same symtoms and it turned out to be Web Roots scanning memory in the back ground... but in your issue it stops when you run at default speeds ... :confused:

As i told before i tried everything i could possibly do. Run with only the needed stuff. Run it with only 1x 256. And i did a clean install before i installed the mobo and yes i turned of every possible service in the background that wasn't needed. So it's nothing like anti virus crap or something.....I Can't take it anymore why can;t it just work properly :confused:

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
Kinda figured that but thought I'd try to help... have you tried an older BIOS for either Card or MOBO? Possibly send emails to both MSI and Nvidia to see if they are aware of the issue and or going to fix it in a BIOS rev?

Slayerstaps

Msi already knows the prob but isn't really trying that hard to fix it :mad:
So i think my only choice is going for another board....And btw at stock speeds the stuttering isn't really away. Now the screen and sound hangs for 5 secs once every one and a half hour...Not that much but it happens and that's what bugs me....

Processor AMD 5800x
Motherboard ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Custom Water Loop
Memory 32GB G.Skill Trident Z neo
Video Card(s) Sapphire Vega 64
Storage Sabrent Rocket 4 NVMEs / SSDs
Display(s) 27" AOC AG271QX
Case Phanteks Enthoo Evolve
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster AE-7
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 750
Software Windows 10
Have you tried increasing your AGP Aperture size?

-Dan

Slayerstaps

increasing above 128 i'm not insane lol :D
But i tried 32 and 64 already but that's no go......

GIGGLA

System Name PsychoTron
Processor Intel Q9450 @ 3.2
Motherboard Asus p5e (x38) @ 400 fsb Rampage Formula Bios
Cooling Arctic Freezer Pro Antec 900 Case Fans
Memory 4gb G.Skill ddr2-1000
Video Card(s) MSI 280GTX @ 702/1404/1200
Storage 2X Seagate 500gb Raid-0 @7200rpm
Display(s) 24" Dell Widescreen LCD 1920x1200 5ms
Case Antec 900
Audio Device(s) Onboard Supreme FX 2
Power Supply 750 watt pc power & cooling Crossfire edition
Software Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 64-bit
Have you increased the voltage to your cpu thats one speedy processor and it is likely pulling most of your 12v rail. The Nvidia 6800's also use more 12 volt power than any other graphics card there is. I don't think it's the board. I would monitor the voltages with motherboard monitor if you have'nt already. It seems to me it's most likely the power supply, once you start to overclock and if your amd 3500+ is overclocked already.

Jimmy 2004

Motherboard ASUS K8N
Case Antec P182
Software Windows XP Home
That would only make sence if he was using a different power supply on the new motherboard - I think he's using the same so I doubt that's it. Sounds like a bad motherboard to me that needs replacing...

watzup_ken

Urlyin said:
Kinda figured that but thought I'd try to help... have you tried an older BIOS for either Card or MOBO? Possibly send emails to both MSI and Nvidia to see if they are aware of the issue and or going to fix it in a BIOS rev?

I've sent MSI a feedback bout some of the probs that I have seen and experience myself. Guess what? Mail got bounced back... Some kindda feedback service they've got. Anyway, I have no probs with my graphic card on this mobo. But started off with lots of probs and yet to solve all... No MSI for me the next time. :rolleyes:

Jimmy 2004

Motherboard ASUS K8N
Case Antec P182
Software Windows XP Home
What types of problems did you have - it would be interesting to see if this board does have some faults, because my friend has had problems too.