1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ingame suttering problem with MSI K8N Neo2 Plat.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Slayerstaps, Apr 30, 2005.

1. Slayerstaps New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well i've tried everything by now and i can't seem to find out why the stuttering doesn't go away. The problem goes away when i don't overclock my vid card but a 6800 non ultra @ stock is no go. I had no problems with it on my other board a p4p800 3 deluxe. And now when i oc it on this board games and becnhmarks hang for about 5 secs at random. It's really frustrating and i can't seem to fix it...Some help would be really nice

My PSU is a zalman 400W

Last edited: May 1, 2005
    10 Year Member at TPU
  2. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    It definately has to do with the overclocking if running it at stock makes the problem go away. Perhaps you should see what exactly causes the stuttering. Memory overclock? core overclock? unlocked pipes? And does it happen at a certain speed or even when you overclock it 1Mhz?
    Random hanging does sound like temperature problems. What are your cards temps? (perhaps you bumped the heatsink while swapping the mobo?)

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. Slayerstaps New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm sry but i always forget to tell the whole story :D
    Temps are fine everything is fine. I even swapped the mobo's again when i had the problem. Tested a day with my old mobo no probs. Swapped back again and i have the stuttering. Swapped again and i could play without any stuttering again. and yeah it only happens when i overclock. And it seems i'm not the only one with this problemen many others on other forums also have this problem with this board. And they also only have the stuttering when they oc. Some fixed it with turning off fast writes older drivers etc. Nothing of that worked for me.

The stuttering starts at around 10 mhz increase on the core and mem. It doesn't happen very often then but still anoying and the higher i go the less time there is between the stuttering. First like once a hour and @ my old speeds it's like once every 5 min.

And it's not really hanging it stutters for about 5 secs and everything hangs then. The image the sound everything. After the 5 secs it just continues like nothing happend..

I'm gonna test if disabling the shader has any effect...To be continued

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    So it's a compatibility problem? Perhaps crap bios... can't you swap the board for another model?

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. Slayerstaps New Member

Thanks Received:
    Can't anymore i think. i needed a couple of days to test everything. But stuttering because of overclocking isn't really a reason to return it cause it works fine. And the period that i could return it no questions asked is over. I can still try though maybe they will tkae it back.

Btw, i tried every bios for this mobo from 1.4 to the new 1.8 beta nothing helps to clear the stuttering

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Overclock it in the bios, tell them it stutters.

I did that before, OC it so it malfunctions and then return :)

10 Year Member at TPU
  7. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    This doesn't help at all, but one of my friends has the same motherboard and CPU as you, and he experience strange things like random crashes and the bios reporting temperatures of 55 degrees when you first turn on the PC and he has installed 3 extra case fans and used the stock cooling for the CPU and hasn't manage to overcome this problem. Have you heard of anything else like this for this motherboard?

10 Year Member at TPU
  8. Urlyin

Urlyin Senior Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Slayer... By chance are you running Antispyware in the back ground? It maybe an app starting or scanning... I'm sure you tried to run using msconfig to run with a selected start up... disable services not used and unplug the network cable ...Antivirus maybe? I'm saying this because a friend discribed the same symtoms and it turned out to be Web Roots scanning memory in the back ground... but in your issue it stops when you run at default speeds ... :confused:

10 Year Member at TPU
  9. djbbenn

Thanks Received:
    Wow...seems a lot of people are having problems with that type of mobo. I have read a few things of problems with it.

-Dan

10 Year Member at TPU
  10. Slayerstaps New Member

Thanks Received:
    As i told before i tried everything i could possibly do. Run with only the needed stuff. Run it with only 1x 256. And i did a clean install before i installed the mobo and yes i turned of every possible service in the background that wasn't needed. So it's nothing like anti virus crap or something.....I Can't take it anymore why can;t it just work properly :confused:

10 Year Member at TPU
  11. Urlyin

Urlyin Senior Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Kinda figured that but thought I'd try to help... have you tried an older BIOS for either Card or MOBO? Possibly send emails to both MSI and Nvidia to see if they are aware of the issue and or going to fix it in a BIOS rev?

10 Year Member at TPU
  12. Slayerstaps New Member

Thanks Received:
    Msi already knows the prob but isn't really trying that hard to fix it :mad:
    So i think my only choice is going for another board....And btw at stock speeds the stuttering isn't really away. Now the screen and sound hangs for 5 secs once every one and a half hour...Not that much but it happens and that's what bugs me....

10 Year Member at TPU
  13. djbbenn

Thanks Received:
    Have you tried increasing your AGP Aperture size?

-Dan

10 Year Member at TPU
  14. Slayerstaps New Member

Thanks Received:
    increasing above 128 i'm not insane lol :D
    But i tried 32 and 64 already but that's no go......

10 Year Member at TPU
  15. GIGGLA

GIGGLA New Member

Thanks Received:
    Have you increased the voltage to your cpu thats one speedy processor and it is likely pulling most of your 12v rail. The Nvidia 6800's also use more 12 volt power than any other graphics card there is. I don't think it's the board. I would monitor the voltages with motherboard monitor if you have'nt already. It seems to me it's most likely the power supply, once you start to overclock and if your amd 3500+ is overclocked already.

10 Year Member at TPU
  16. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    That would only make sence if he was using a different power supply on the new motherboard - I think he's using the same so I doubt that's it. Sounds like a bad motherboard to me that needs replacing...

10 Year Member at TPU
  17. watzup_ken New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've sent MSI a feedback bout some of the probs that I have seen and experience myself. Guess what? Mail got bounced back... Some kindda feedback service they've got. Anyway, I have no probs with my graphic card on this mobo. But started off with lots of probs and yet to solve all... No MSI for me the next time. :rolleyes:

10 Year Member at TPU
  18. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    What types of problems did you have - it would be interesting to see if this board does have some faults, because my friend has had problems too.

10 Year Member at TPU