1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Inno3D GTX 460 768MB - Red pixels appear randomly in 2D and/or 3D modes.

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by Cheeseball, Aug 27, 2010.

1. Cheeseball

Thanks Received:
    Hi guys,

I was able to get a good deal on an Inno3D GTX 460 (768MB model) with the reference PCB & fan, but I'm not getting rid of my two HD 5770s just yet.

First thing I did was clean out the ATI drivers from my system by uninstalling from Programs and Features, restarting, running DriverCleaner .NET, restarting, then removing any traces using DriverSweeper.

After that, I shutdown, removed both HD 5770s, popped in the GTX 460, hooked up the two PCI-E PSU connectors, hooked up my direct mini-HDMI-to-HDMI cable (not a converter) to my Samsung 3DTV and turned on the system.

First thing I noticed is that I get 2 to 4 red pixels on the initial Windows 7 loading screen (the one that says "Starting Windows..."). They appear in the swirly-motion Windows logo.

After I boot into Windows, I notice a bunch of maroon pixels on the left side of the login screen. What's weird is that if I try to hover my mouse cursor over that area, they hide once the pixels of the mouse come close, but they come back once I move the mouse cursor away.

I log into Windows and I don't notice them anymore UNTIL I...

1. Play a video (DXVA or not) in Media Player Classic. Red pixels randomly and very rarely appear. I can get this to happen maybe once or twice in the 30 videos I tested.

2. In random games, like Metro 2033, Granado Espada, and Borderlands. Again, this is very rare. But here's the kicker, it doesn't appear in Just Cause 2, GRID, or StarCraft 2. All the games I play are on their max settings with 4x MSAA. I tried all of them with or without MSAA.

3. Randomly on the Windows desktop. I have my Start button/Taskbar positioned on the top. If I move a random window to the top and have the top boarders overlap with the taskbar, red pixels will appear, but then disappear if I move them away. I can get this to happen 50% of the time.

This is kind of an annoying problem and I'd like to see if I can get it fixed somehow. It'll be hard to get it RMA'd because the only sure-fire way to reproduce the problem is when Windows 7 is starting up and even at that point it's only 2 to 4 pixels for a few seconds.

What I'm thinking of trying is:
    1. Flash to another brand's reference card BIOS.
    2. Trying out the DVI connectors to my DVI-only monitor.
    3. Trying out a DVI-to-VGA connector to my other monitors.

Another weird thing, if I overclock to 900/1800/4100/1.075v and play for a while, the problem doesn't appear for a long time, until I shutdown and let the system cool a bit. Temps are all below 65C, stock clocks or not.

I would like anyone's suggestions or opinions to see if I can get this problem resolved. :)

EDIT: BTW, I tried the WHQL'd 258.96, 259.31, and will be trying the 3D Vision 259.32s later. My RAM are stock-clocked (400MHz) Team Elites running at 5-5-5-12-22.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  2. Cheeseball

Thanks Received:
    Any ideas guys? I'm about to try my next steps above...