• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Installing the two tiny TINY cables on a WiFi card. Any advice? Picture inside.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
So I got the new Intel 9260 WiFi card for my laptop that has bluetooth 5.0, etc.

I removed old one, and now the two tiny wires as you can see in picture below, well I can't get them put back on the wifi card they keep popping off, is there a secret to it? Some certain angle, and then you slide, or something? Terrible design...

System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard Asrock Z590 Extreme wifi 6E
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB Corsair RGB fancy boi 5000
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 Reference
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1Tb + Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb
Display(s) Dell - 27" LED QHD G-SYNC x2
Case Fractal Design Meshify-C
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 1000 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard AZIO MGK-1 RGB (Kaith Blue)
Software Win 10 Professional 64 bit
Benchmark Scores the MLGeesiest
They are a friction fit. If you have a new pencil, use the eraser end & place the wire in position then push down with the eraser. It's flexible enough that it pushes the female end down onto the post , & soft enough to do it without damaging it. I've done that exact attachment 100 times,& I loathe it each time, you can also try tweezers and hold it on the horizontal end of the connection and try it that way.

EDIT
when pushing down, try turning the eraser left & right in a rotational manner, from 3 oclock to 9 oclock for example, they can sometimes require that due to being mishapen, etc, and twisting them Gently helps often

Last edited:
System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
make sure you tighten the connector on the cable since it lock like push button

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Thank you very much, I will give it another shot in a few days. It sure is a pain I know that. Whoever designed it that way.... shame on them. lol You can't tell me there was an easier way, while still keeping it small. Sigh.

Thank you very much, I will give it another shot in a few days. It sure is a pain I know that. Whoever designed it that way.... shame on them. lol You can't tell me there was an easier way, while still keeping it small. Sigh.
It's called "U.fl". It's designed to keep a reliable connection in a generally undisturbed very low profile space. It's been in common general use for 20+ years, so that should tell you something. It's not difficult to snap on by hand, just hold the female by the cable centered over the male at a slight angle, then push down. The disconnection is where you can cause issues - usually by breaking the male connector off the PCB, because it is a really tight fit. It's not made to be removed/reconnected more than a few times.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
It's called "U.fl". It's designed to keep a reliable connection in a generally undisturbed very low profile space. It's been in common general use for 20+ years, so that should tell you something. It's not difficult to snap on by hand, just hold the female by the cable centered over the male at a slight angle, then push down. The disconnection is where you can cause issues - usually by breaking the male connector off the PCB, because it is a really tight fit. It's not made to be removed/reconnected more than a few times.

Well I got the wifi one hooked up, but not the one for bluetooth, my wifi works great but bluetooth doesn't work at all... I was under the impression that these wires were just extensions for the range... so my bluetooth technically should still work...

is my thinking wrong?

Processor Ryzen 5900X
Motherboard ASUS Prime X470 Pro
Cooling Arctic liquid freezer II 240
Memory 2 x 16 Gb Gskill Trident Z 3600 Mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3060 Ti OC
Storage Samsung 960 EVO 500 Gb / 860 EVO 1 Tb
Display(s) Dell S2719DGF
Case Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G703
Keyboard Logitech G513
Software Win 11
For Bluetooth to work you need to hook a cable from the black connector on the back of the wifi adapter to a usb header on the motherboard.
NGFF sockets on laptops do both usb and pcie but the desktop adapter being regular PCIe does not.
You can also try squeezing the connector that wont stay on a bit with needle nose pliers to make it fit more snug and stop popping off.

1530457004334.png

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
They are a friction fit. If you have a new pencil, use the eraser end & place the wire in position then push down with the eraser. It's flexible enough that it pushes the female end down onto the post , & soft enough to do it without damaging it. I've done that exact attachment 100 times,& I loathe it each time, you can also try tweezers and hold it on the horizontal end of the connection and try it that way.

EDIT
when pushing down, try turning the eraser left & right in a rotational manner, from 3 oclock to 9 oclock for example, they can sometimes require that due to being mishapen, etc, and twisting them Gently helps often

You and I think Alike man.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
@jboydgolfer @micropage7 @eidairaman1 @Batou1986 @taz420nj

So I got the intel 9260 wifi and bluetooth 5.0 finally installed. i decided to try a little experiment, took apart my laptop last night, tried th epencil method still wouldn't work, so i took a pen, held down the metal part so it made a connection with the tiny tiny little metal area, and rubbed gorilla glue over the two tiny connectors for both the wifi and bluetooth 5.0, waited 30 mins, voila works perfect. i now have bluetooth and wifi working properly and updated to latest drivers...

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
@jboydgolfer @micropage7 @eidairaman1 @Batou1986 @taz420nj

So I got the intel 9260 wifi and bluetooth 5.0 finally installed. i decided to try a little experiment, took apart my laptop last night, tried th epencil method still wouldn't work, so i took a pen, held down the metal part so it made a connection with the tiny tiny little metal area, and rubbed gorilla glue over the two tiny connectors for both the wifi and bluetooth 5.0, waited 30 mins, voila works perfect. i now have bluetooth and wifi working properly and updated to latest drivers...

Interesting, i just use my thumb to press them on.

Glad it works, i doubt those connectors get hot, so you won't have to worry about anything becoming unglued

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Interesting, i just use my thumb to press them on.

Glad it works, i doubt those connectors get hot, so you won't have to worry about anything becoming unglued

well gorilla glue is non conductive anyway, and im pretty sure it has a very very high melting point. prob could squirt it on a cpu, late it dry overnight, and even on stress tests for 24 hours it prob wouldnt melt, but i don't know the actual numbers on it. at least its not conductive, lol