1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Installing windows on netbooks

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Darkgundam111, Nov 21, 2010.

1. Darkgundam111 New Member

Thanks Received:
    just got a new netbook, Acer Aspire AOD255-2331, and it has windows xp on it. was wondering if I can install windows 7 on it? would i need to find drivers and stuff for it? or would it just work right after? would be a hassle to find drivers.

2. dark2099

dark2099

Thanks Received:
    Putting Windows 7 on it should work fine, check out Acer's website, they probably will have the drivers for Windows 7. I was doing that months (or is it years now) ago with Win 7 when it was still a beta on a ASUS EeePC.

Darkgundam111 says thanks.
  3. Techtu

Techtu

Thanks Received:
    With it being a netboot Windows may install ALL the drivers when you install the OS - The one you will most likely need is the graphics driver besides that it should be pretty straight forward.

4. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    I don't foresee having an issue. Windows 7 is so slipstreamed you can pretty much run it out of the box.

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. Techtu

Techtu

Thanks Received:
    Off the record :D

Jr... are you stalking me :wtf: Your right behind me in a lot of my general posting :p

j/k
    :laugh: :roll:

6. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, I installed win7 on my laptop and everything worked out fine except for the display drivers (ATi, have to get them seperately) and my camera. Well, there is nothing wrong with the camera, but the image projected is upside down, and I don't know how to flip it around. Any ideas?

7. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    i use acer aspire one, i replace the original windows 7 starter into windows 7 ultimate, so far it works fine, you can download the drivers from acer web

8. Darkgundam111 New Member

Thanks Received:
    oh ok cool thanks a bunch guys, super helpful :)
    just one last question, should i use windows 7 ultimate or like something lighter such as premium or professional? or is there even a performance gain for using premium vs ultimate?

9. Techtu

Techtu

Thanks Received:
    Well I guess that would depend on which you already have? IF you don't have any yet then yes I'd consider going for a lesser bulked out version like Starter or even Home Premium which seem's to be a favourite amongst most lower spec'd systems IMO.

10. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    I had a Acer Aspire Netbook that came with XP preinstalled and i formatted it and installed windows 7 and like someone said above, all of the drivers were installed during installation so it was very painless, i just needed a external DVD drive or a bootable USB drive

Crunching for Team TPU