• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel 12th Gen Core "Locked" Processors Arrive Mid-Jan, Possible Specs Surface

It's still an unknown of course how SKUs like i5-12400, etc.. will compete against Zen3 with its 3D Vcache?

Competition is GOOD! :)

Processor i5-6600K
Motherboard Asus Z170A
Cooling some cheap Cooler Master Hyper 103 or similar
Memory 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
Display(s) 2x Oldell 24" 1920x1200
Case Bitfenix Nova white windowless non-mesh
Audio Device(s) E-mu 1212m PCI
Power Supply Seasonic G-360
Mouse Logitech Marble trackball, never had a mouse
Keyboard Key Tronic KT2000, no Win key because 1994
Software Oldwin
It's still an unknown of course how SKUs like i5-12400, etc.. will compete against Zen3 with its 3D Vcache?

Competition is GOOD! :)
3D V-c won't be cheap. Cannot be. It's 40% more silicon (ignoring the i/o die), and the packaging tech doesn't seem like a commodity right now.

Intel has lost the pot with these processors ...
who is interested in a hybrid Core i7 ...

for me there should only be 3 types of processors:

1. those of low consumption where all its cores are efficient and include the iGPU.
2. those of general purpose where all the cores are capped in the turbo bost, and incorporate the iGPU, thus a controlled temperature and performance.
3. the purpose-driven enthusiasts who use the best frequencies and best numbers of cores; it does not require iGPU they would only get in the way if you know that you are going to mount this processor it is because the GPU will be a dedicated one ...

Everything else is smoke.

Intel has lost the pot with these processors ...
who is interested in a hybrid Core i7 ...

for me there should only be 3 types of processors:

1. those of low consumption where all its cores are efficient and include the iGPU.
2. those of general purpose where all the cores are capped in the turbo bost, and incorporate the iGPU, thus a controlled temperature and performance.
3. the purpose-driven enthusiasts who use the best frequencies and best numbers of cores; it does not require iGPU they would only get in the way if you know that you are going to mount this processor it is because the GPU will be a dedicated one ...

Everything else is smoke.
Then maybe you can explain why the i5 10400F and i5 11400F are hot sellers.

Then maybe you can explain why the i5 10400F and i5 11400F are hot sellers.
economic, with enough cores for gaming, with a good working clock ... it is the economic processor for gaming ... ho if it does not have igpu ... because it is a waste of space and it would heat up the processor more even if it is not used ... or if you need a GPU for Gaming !!! ... What if this processor for the 12400f generation got 4 "Efficient" cores ... it would raise its price and stop being attractive ...