• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Adds New Core CPUs to Its Desktop, Laptop Lineups

Processor Threadripper 1950X (4.0 GHz OC)
Motherboard ASRock X399 Professional Gaming
Cooling Enermax Liqtech TR4
Memory 48GB DDR4 2934MHz
Video Card(s) Nvidia GTX 1080, GTX 660TI
Storage 2TB Western Digital HDD, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 280GB Intel Optane 900P
Display(s) 2x 1920x1200
Power Supply Cooler Master Silent Pro M (1000W)
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Corsair K70 MK.2
Software Windows 10
I meant when the last one existed. (aka when Ultrabooks arrived)

Mobile i7 are still quad-core. Nothing has changed.
The i7-U SKUs have never been quad core.

It's nothing new.

The past couple Intel generations have had dual core 'i7' processors marked as 'M'.

Last edited:

Attachments

• BNEs3MO[1].png
    BNEs3MO[1].png
    128.7 KB · Views: 373
The past couple Intel generations have had dual core 'i7' processors marked as 'M'.
And? That does not affect my point at all.

Really now? You'd be wrong even if you said only H-models had 4 cores since the i3-7100H is still 2c/4t. Even back to things like 4th gen when M-models were still a thing most of them still only had 2c/4t.
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/processor-numbers.html
Congratulations, you are being pedantic. That's still an i3. And I didn't say that, stop speculating.

Last edited:

Keullo-e

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X up to 5.05GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite
Cooling Custom loop (CPU+GPU, 240 & 120 rads)
Memory 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury @ DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6700 XT Fighter OC/UV
Storage ~4TB SSD + 6TB HDD
Display(s) Acer XV273K + Lenovo L32p-30
Case Corsair 4000D Airflow White
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis remastered at 4K
Isn't there a Q in the model number on a mobile chip if it's a quadcore?

Processor Intel Core i3-8100
Motherboard ASRock H370 Pro4
Cooling Cryorig M9i
Memory 16GB G.Skill Aegis DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 WindForce OC 3GB
Storage Crucial MX500 512GB SSD
Display(s) Dell S2316M LCD
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply Corsair CX600M
Mouse Logitech M500
Keyboard Lenovo KB1021 USB
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
U parts are for the Ultrabooks, with 15watts.

I think RejZoR was referring to the i3-7340, i3-7320T, i3-7120, and i3-7120T processors. Those are not laptop parts.

Processor Intel Core i3-8100
Motherboard ASRock H370 Pro4
Cooling Cryorig M9i
Memory 16GB G.Skill Aegis DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 WindForce OC 3GB
Storage Crucial MX500 512GB SSD
Display(s) Dell S2316M LCD
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply Corsair CX600M
Mouse Logitech M500
Keyboard Lenovo KB1021 USB
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
I meant when the last one existed. (aka when Ultrabooks arrived)

Mobile i7 are still quad-core. Nothing has changed.
The i7-U SKUs have never been quad core.

It's nothing new.

7th Generation Intel Core i7 Processors - Mobile
Core i7-7600U : 2 cores, 4 threads
Core i7-7920HQ : 4 cores, 8 threads

Intel lets their marketing department have far too much leeway in the naming of their mobile parts. The 7920HQ model qualifies as a real Core i7; that 7600U is nothing more than a glorified Core i3.... :shadedshu:

7th Generation Intel Core i7 Processors - Mobile
Core i7-7600U : 2 cores, 4 threads
Core i7-7920HQ : 4 cores, 8 threads

Intel lets their marketing department have far too much leeway in the naming of their mobile parts. The 7920HQ model qualifies as a real Core i7; that 7600U is nothing more than a glorified Core i3.... :shadedshu:
Well, it's self-explanatory. You can't put a 7920HQ in an Ultrabook even if you wanted to.

You have to segment performance in different markets. (as with M-processors, desktop and HEDT). AMD is equally as convoluted you know?

Memory 48GB DDR4 2934MHz
Storage 2TB Western Digital HDD, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 280GB Intel Optane 900P
Display(s) 2x 1920x1200
Mouse Logitech G602
Software Windows 10

Well my point was that not all mobile i7s are quad core anymore.

Dual core i7s (U suffix or not) have also caused trouble in the retail market. Go to your local Best Buy, Office Max or other big box store that sells laptops and take a look at them. The higher end ones are of course i7s, but look up the processor model they list. They are dual core!

Well my point was that not all mobile i7s are quad core.

Dual core i7s (U suffix or not) have also caused trouble in the retail market. Go to your local Best Buy, Office Max or other big box store that sells laptops and take a look at them. The higher end ones are of course i7s, but look up the processor model they list. They are dual core!
How do they cause trouble? 99% of people who buy laptops will have loads of CPU horsepower just sitting around doing absolutely nothing. For normal office work any kind of mobile CPU will do.

If you do use workloads that stress the CPU you will buy a workstation-laptop that does not use ULV-processors.

People buy i7s because they are fast. Absolutely not because "they are supposed to be quad-cores". The general public could not care less.

Memory 48GB DDR4 2934MHz
Display(s) 2x 1920x1200
Mouse Logitech G602
Software Windows 10
How do they cause trouble? 99% of people who buy laptops will have loads of CPU horsepower just sitting around doing absolutely nothing. For normal office work any kind of mobile CPU will do.

If you do use workloads that stress the CPU you will buy a workstation-laptop that does not use ULV-processors.

People buy i7s because they are fast. Absolutely not because "they are supposed to be quad-cores". The general public could not care less.

Sorry, I should have said they cause 'confusion'.

It has frustrated me though: five years ago I bought a $700 quad core i7 laptop for college. I was studying to be an engineer so I wanted something that could run simulations and mathematical software a bit quicker than the cheaper machines. Not long ago it broke and I looked at getting another one (portability is NICE). As far as brick and mortar stores go, you can't buy a quad core i7 laptop for anywhere close to that price. For multithreaded applications (which most of my software was) the new laptops might actually be slower!

Congratulations, you are being pedantic. That's still an i3. And I didn't say that, stop speculating.
Going back to Nehalem, outside of the U-skus, you got M, Y, and E that are all i7 and not 4-core. You must not keep up with Intel if
And AFAIK all the mobile CPUs that are not U-models are still quad core.

Going back to Nehalem, outside of the U-skus, you got M, Y, and E that are all i7 and not 4-core. You must not keep up with Intel if
Those were not part of the discussion.

(M and Y are below U-processors and Xeons are not relevant)

Keep moving your goalposts. Just makes you look petty. Since when were these not considered mobile i7 skus?
You are the one moving goalposts. You are the one including irrelevant products. You are bringing in line-ups that are absolutely not a part of the discussion. You are putting words in my mouth.

Hey look, all i7 are Quad-Cores except all the U-models and a Y-option. My god, I was right.
https://ark.intel.com/products/series/95544/7th-Generation-Intel-Core-i7-Processors#@mobile

All the i5-U are Dual Core, the rest are quad-cores.
https://ark.intel.com/products/series/95543/7th-Generation-Intel-Core-i5-Processors#@mobile

And here is the exception, all i3-U are dual cores EXCEPT 7100H. I missed one, bo-hoo.
https://ark.intel.com/products/series/95545/7th-Generation-Intel-Core-i3-Processors#@mobile

Last edited:
Since when? Sandy Bridge?

And AFAIK all the mobile CPUs that are not U-models are still quad core.
I wonder who wanted to go refer back to old gens? Who said everything outside of U-models were still quad core? Gee if only a certain someone lived up to their words. Don't even bother replying.

I wonder who wanted to go refer back to old gens? Who said everything outside of U-models were still quad core? Gee if only a certain someone lived up to their words. Don't even bother replying.
You should have read what I quoted before being such as jackass. If I didn't quote it would not have been a response to that specific post.

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/...s-desktop-laptop-lineups.235237/#post-3694560

You put words in my mouth and are insulting them. Great job there buddy.

Not his fault you forgot that i7s started with Nehalem and not Sandy Bridge. All those mobile i7s were 4c/8t
Yeah, I admit on forgetting Nehalem-parts. That still does not make my other statement incorrect since that was still about i7s.

Yeah, I admit on forgetting Nehalem-parts. That still does not make my other statement incorrect since that was still about i7s.
Your other comment is literally incorrect. No, mobile i7s that aren't U models are NOT all quad core. You forgot about Y skus this gen and M and E for previous ones.

Your other comment is literally incorrect. No, mobile i7s that aren't U models are NOT all quad core. You forgot about Y skus this gen and M and E for previous ones.
Core M and Y-processors does not even have the same naming convention, why does my statement apply to them? (All still dual-cores though, and berely existed. Unless suffixed with a Q but then they are quad-cores)

Why do the industrial E-models matter?

The old Y-models are effectively the exact same as U-processors since they are both for the exact same purpose (Ultrabooks and hybrids). All the ULX-parts are still Dual-cores though.

Core i7 has never stood for Quad-Cores since Nehalem then.

Last edited:
Core M and Y-processors does not even have the same naming convention, why does my statement apply to them? Why do the industrial E-models matter?

The old Y-models are effectively the exact same as U-processors. All the ULX-parts are still Dual-cores though.
Don't tell me you forgot about the M-sku laptop processors as well? They had the exact same naming schemes as U and H skus. And yes, Y sku for this generation is still called i7, no matter what you think. Intel's decision, not mine.

Don't tell me you forgot about the M-sku laptop processors as well? They had the exact same naming schemes as U and H skus. And yes, Y sku for this generation is still called i7, no matter what you think. Intel's decision, not mine.
Yeah, because apparently no one did laptops with the dual-core i7 M-processors. They were never an option in any models when we selected laptops back then(Dell, HP, Lenovo) so no wonder I did not know about them.

They still don't follow the same naming convention. There are no quad-cores placed below ULV-processors, that should be self-explanatory. Also they are for the same purpose, as I wrote above.

(Core M and Y does not follow the same naming convention, when did they in that case? Haswell? 4+ years ago?)

Yeah, because apparently no one did laptops with the dual-core i7 M-processors. They were never an option in any models when we selected laptops back then(Dell, HP, Lenovo) so no wonder I did not know about them.

They still don't follow the same naming convention. There are no quad-cores placed below ULV-processors, that should be self-explanatory. Also they are for the same purpose, as I wrote above.
So you're saying you no laptop used a i7-2620m, i7-3520m, i7-4600m, among various others, which were specifically targeted between U and H/QM skus? Not that hard to google "i7-2620m laptop" and see the results. And how may I ask, do those use any different naming convention than a generic U or H sku?

So you're saying you no laptop used a i7-2620m, i7-3520m, i7-4600m, among various others, which were specifically targeted between U and H/QM skus? Not that hard to google "i7-2620m laptop" and see the results. And how may I ask, do those use any different naming convention than a generic U or H sku?
That's Sandy Bridge no? And what did I ask in my post?

"And AFAIK all the mobile CPUs that are not U-models are still quad core." Does this mention something about the past and that it has always been this way?

That's Sandy Bridge no? And what did I ask in my post?
"And AFAIK all the mobile CPUs that are not U-models are still quad core." Does this mention something about the past and that it has always been this way?
Stop contradicting yourself. Read your posts carefully before posting. That's all from me. It's way too late to keep up this charade on a weekday.