• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Alder Lake-S to See Limited Launch of Enthusiast SKUs in 2021, Other Models Arrive 2022

For the most part yeah. There were some stabiity issues with rocket lake's launch, which intel was rightly criticized for, the whoe generation has been written off as a waste of time and a mistake.

IME ryzen 1000 was an unstable disaster, 2000 was better, but it wasnt until 3000 that AMD was on intel's level.

And let us not forget, for all the "muh AMD 4 years of support" coming from the community, that the 300 series chipsets technically only fully supports 2 geneerations, that AMD had to be forced to support ryzen 3000 on the 300 chipsets, and the outrage that forced them to backtrack on the 5000 series ONLY being suported on the 500 series chipsets. Remember how the 400 series didnt support the ryzen 5000s? I 'member.

It's not 4 years of support, its 2 years, maybe 3 if the community gets outraged enough. But somehow this is better then intel's cleear cut 2 chips per generation.
The kiddies still think it's cool to hate on Intel.

System Name The Expanse
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Asus Prime X570-Pro BIOS 5013 AM4 AGESA V2 PI 1.2.0.Ca.
Cooling Corsair H150i Pro
Memory 32GB GSkill Trident RGB DDR4-3200 14-14-14-34-1T (B-Die)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX 24GB (24.3.1)
Storage WD SN850X 2TB / Corsair MP600 1TB / Samsung 860Evo 1TB x2 Raid 0 / Asus NAS AS1004T V2 14TB
Display(s) LG 34GP83A-B 34 Inch 21: 9 UltraGear Curved QHD (3440 x 1440) 1ms Nano IPS 160Hz
Case Fractal Design Meshify S2
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi + Logitech Z-5500 + HS80 Wireless
Power Supply Corsair AX850 Titanium
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RGB SE
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 22H2
Benchmark Scores 3800X https://valid.x86.fr/1zr4a5 5800X https://valid.x86.fr/2dey9c
I'm curious to see what will actually be available.

So you are making buying recommendations for 2021/2022 based on a purchase you made back in 2009? :rolleyes:
And how many months do we have to give AMD this time around to get their firmware working? At least when Intel ships their they actually work (or at least within a few days).

True however when you are launching the same arch just revised for years its easy to have stable mb firmware. And when RL launched and was brand new there were bios issues at launch.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
And wise men know it's best to wait until Intel's Kool-aid has been tested before drinking it.

I dont hate intel, I used from 2006 to 2020 and I'm still using on some of my systems, you can go intel if you decide never to upgrade because there will not be any guarantee they will do that, buy intel and stay with intel and do not expect any customer support in foreseeable future, in 2017 I had a problem with intel, I had a high end motherboard that could be used and intel then changed one pin in order to not make compatible for newer cpus, so only way to use newer cpus you had to upgrade your motherboard too and that was very bad. I had to look for mods in order to make newer cpus to work with my 6 months old motherboard, meaning intel could not do with all their resources and the mod community did and it did easy. See is not about hating and following the crowd, is about forcing every bs on you, reason intel systems will hardly be my first choice like used to.

And by the way, Intel did that, know why? because they knew amd was very far behind and they had the performance monopoly segment, as intel dont have that monopoly anymore, we are free to choose if we want to be free or locked in the bs, I have chosen to be free and have chosen amd but if amd decided to act like intel then I will need a 3rd option because in all honesty not sure if Intel will change their policy towards that, however as I already have said, Intel don't hold the performance lead anymore and son they have much less leverage enforcing people on what to do.

Last edited:
Processor R5 5600X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING
Cooling Alpenföhn Black Ridge
Memory 2*16GB DDR4-2666 VLP @3800
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce RTX 3080 XC3
Storage 1TB Samsung 970 Pro, 2TB Intel 660p
Display(s) ASUS PG279Q, Eizo EV2736W
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Corsair Ironclaw Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive
AMD AM4 boards with 300 series chipset support CPUs from 28nm Bristol Ridge to 7nm Matisse(and some of motherboards with beta BIOS also work with 7nm Vermeer) . Where is chipset/socket manufacturer Intel in comparison of longevity?
Not all of them, not at the same time. Matisse support there is spotty at best, Vermeer is for a few models. Will not even talk about A-chipset but B450 support for newest stuff is... spotty and often quite late. And I will not even talk about BIOS upgrades that you need to be very careful with not to go hunting for an old supported CPU (and sometimes GPU) to upgrade BIOS.

It kind of has that longevity but at the same time it is a lot of pain in the ass to actually take advantage of. Or luck, which is not much better. And paying A LOT for the motherboard obviously does help. All this is from experience, with motherboards that are mostly on the higher end of things, including at least one review package motherboard.

Overall though, unless you are a true enthusiast you will upgrade a CPU every what, 3-5 years? Even in terms of AM4 this means a new motherboard.

Based on what I have seen and experienced what happens when you buy an intel system motherboard+cpu, with every cpu they launch, you need to buy a new motherboard and that is something I'm against. I bought a 3600 with an am4 motherboard and I could upgrade to a 5900x without a problem, with Intel it would not be possible and like I said before I experienced it already back in 2009 and later in 2016.
As you say, Intel has been very consistent in their CPU-socket support. Every socket since at least Sandy Bridge and S1155 lasts two generations of CPUs and chipsets and that is roughly two years. If you wonder why that is, you may want to look back to LGA775 and maybe a couple sockets before that.

D

Deleted member 24505

I don't really understand people complaining about a new board with a new gen CPU. I would usually always buy a new board for a new gen to ensure compatibility, and for new features on the board.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X ||| Intel Core i7-3930K
Motherboard ASUS ProArt B550-CREATOR ||| Asus P9X79 WS
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S ||| Be Quiet Pure Rock
Memory Crucial 2 x 16 GB 3200 MHz ||| Corsair 8 x 8 GB 1333 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 3GB ||| MSI GTX 680 4GB
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB + 1 TB ||| Intel 545s 512 GB + 256 GB
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" ||| Eizo EV2416W 24"
Case Fractal Design Define 7 XL x 2
Audio Device(s) Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 x 2
Mouse Razer Abyssus
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire XT
Software Ubuntu
I don't really understand people complaining about a new board with a new gen CPU. I would usually always buy a new board for a new gen to ensure compatibility, and for new features on the board.
I've debunked the CPU upgrade argument many times before. When you see people complain about it, it's because they want to complain, not because there is a good basis, but because of their bias against Intel.
The following are reasons why CPU upgrade paths across architectures are not a good idea;
- It will always be a compromise; a new CPU worth upgrading to will probably be better off with a new motherboard.
- Support beyond two architectures will be hard, and such rapid CPU upgrades are rarely worth it. Generally, it takes the third generation before the performance gains justify an upgrade, and offering good support for that long is unrealistic.
- BIOS support from motherboard makers will be flaky at best, they currently "struggle" to actively maintain motherboards for a year. If there were to be a meaningful upgrade path, they would have to commit to 4-5 years of support (even if it was just for select motherboards).
- CPUs, motherboards and RAM usually go together, and if you upgrade one or two of them, then you have leftover parts. Selling for a decent price isn't easy in all parts of the world.
- Everything comes at a price, this isn't some trivial feature they can just enable.

AMD would be much better off focusing on stable firmware and BIOSes from day 1 instead of promising cross compatibility they can't deliver on.

Not all of them, not at the same time. Matisse support there is spotty at best, Vermeer is for a few models. Will not even talk about A-chipset but B450 support for newest stuff is... spotty and often quite late. And I will not even talk about BIOS upgrades that you need to be very careful with not to go hunting for an old supported CPU (and sometimes GPU) to upgrade BIOS.

It kind of has that longevity but at the same time it is a lot of pain in the ass to actually take advantage of. Or luck, which is not much better. And paying A LOT for the motherboard obviously does help. All this is from experience, with motherboards that are mostly on the higher end of things, including at least one review package motherboard.

Overall though, unless you are a true enthusiast you will upgrade a CPU every what, 3-5 years? Even in terms of AM4 this means a new motherboard.

As you say, Intel has been very consistent in their CPU-socket support. Every socket since at least Sandy Bridge and S1155 lasts two generations of CPUs and chipsets and that is roughly two years. If you wonder why that is, you may want to look back to LGA775 and maybe a couple sockets before that.

Because there has countries with peoples with much small incomes which not has money to buy all new hardware per every generation. They isn't enthusiasts.

Every socket since at least Sandy Bridge and S1155 lasts two generations of CPUs and chipsets
Not all of them, there was the other thread which established this IIRC ~ z170 to z390 & that's between SKL to CML on the same uarch!

not because there is a good basis, but because of their bias against Intel.
That's a blanket denial against facts, for instance Intel forcefully made users go from z270 to z370 heck even ASUS said they could make it work but it was Intel after all.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X ||| Intel Core i7-3930K
Motherboard ASUS ProArt B550-CREATOR ||| Asus P9X79 WS
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S ||| Be Quiet Pure Rock
Memory Crucial 2 x 16 GB 3200 MHz ||| Corsair 8 x 8 GB 1333 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 3GB ||| MSI GTX 680 4GB
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB + 1 TB ||| Intel 545s 512 GB + 256 GB
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" ||| Eizo EV2416W 24"
Case Fractal Design Define 7 XL x 2
Audio Device(s) Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 x 2
Mouse Razer Abyssus
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire XT
Software Ubuntu
Because there has countries with peoples with much small incomes which not has money to buy all new hardware per every generation. They isn't enthusiasts.
While there are certainly countries where $200-300 is a lot of money, why would anyone but enthusiasts upgrade every generation? (even if they can afford it)
I know there is a large market for recycled parts in eastern Asia, to this day there are still made motherboards for Sandy Bridge and Haswell (using recycled chipsets), and this makes up the super low budget option.

But your argument is fundamentally flawed. If a buyer have a last gen machine, and can only afford a cheap CPU of the current generation, then why is this upgrade even worth while? That upgrade can't possibly be huge.
That buyer should probably save his money for a larger upgrade, or buy "last gen" on discount when a new generation launches, he is looking for value after all.

System Name Ghetto Rigs z490|x99|Acer 17 Nitro 7840hs/ 5600c40-2x16/ 4060/ 1tb acer stock m.2/ 4tb sn850x
Processor 10900k w/Optimus Foundation | 5930k w/Black Noctua D15
Motherboard z490 Maximus XII Apex | x99 Sabertooth
Cooling oCool D5 res-combo/280 GTX/ Optimus Foundation/ gpu water block | Blk D15
Memory Trident-Z Royal 4000c16 2x16gb | Trident-Z 3200c14 4x8gb
Video Card(s) Titan Xp-water | evga 980ti gaming-w/ air
Storage 970evo+500gb & sn850x 4tb | 860 pro 256gb | Acer m.2 1tb/ sn850x 4tb| Many2.5" sata's ssd 3.5hdd's
Display(s) 1-AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz/ 2nd 1-ASUS VG248QE 24"/ 3rd LG 43" series
Case D450 | Cherry Entertainment center on Test bench
Audio Device(s) Built in Realtek x2 with 2-Insignia 2.0 sound bars & 1-LG sound bar
Power Supply EVGA 1000P2 with APC AX1500 | 850P2 with CyberPower-GX1325U
Mouse Redragon 901 Perdition x3
Keyboard G710+x3
Software Win-7 pro x3 and win-10 & 11pro x3
Benchmark Scores Are in the benchmark section
Hi,
Sad you think that way you've been with Intel too long the borg has you lol

Two chips per board is just sad and this is a yearly event from Intel way too many lakes

D

Deleted member 24505

Hi,
Sad you think that way you've been with Intel too long the borg has you lol

Two chips per board is just sad and this is a yearly event from Intel way too many lakes

I'm using a ryzen cpu :laugh:

I'm just sick of seeing AMD acolytes bashing Intel. Was different when everyone was using Intel, no one bashed them then. Can't wait to see what happens "IF" they get on top again.