• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel and smartphone's/mobile, when will they dominate?

System Name Felix777
Processor Core i5-3570k@stock
Motherboard Biostar H61
Memory 8gb
Video Card(s) XFX RX 470
Storage WD 500GB BLK
Display(s) Acer p236h bd
Case Haf 912
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Rosewill CAPSTONE 450watt
Software Win 10 x64
So i was pondering they other day about stocks and thought of intel even though they've been somewhat stagnant, but then i realized they haven't really busted into the super mobile market of smartphones/tablets. I currently am just 23, but i thought if there were a company i'd invest in, it would be Intel and no time would be better than now before they make billions from smartphones.....

Sooo, for pure speculation purposes, when will intel's massive R&D budget finally dominate the mobile market instead of ARM? I know that intel already took over Windows tablets with Bay Trail, but with Cherry Trail coming up in 2015 i expect intel's R&D to have finally paid off and we'll see many intel smartphones.

What do you all think? Will intel soon dominate the mobile phone market in 2015-2016 with Cherry Trail, or will ARM(Qualcomm, Nvidia) stay dominate for 3-5 or more years to come?

I personally see Intel doing to the mobile market what its already done to the PC market.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
I haven't heard of any intent by Intel to move into wireless phones. Considering all existing wireless phones are ARM, it would be like ARM making it's way into the desktop space which, fat chance on both accounts.

System Name The Metadis
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Asrock B650 RS Pro
Cooling MSI MAG CoreLiquid 360R V2
Memory 32GB G-Skill Trident Z5 Neo 6000mhz CL32
Video Card(s) Asus Tuf RX 7900XTX OC 24GB
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 2TB Gen4 nvme + Sabrent Rocket Pro 500GB Nvme Gen3
Display(s) LG C2 42" 4K 120hz OLED
Case NZXT H6 Flow
Audio Device(s) Hifiman Edition XS - Ifi Zen DAC V2 - 7Hz x Crinacle Salnotes Dioko 14.6m Planar Diaphragm Drive IEM
Power Supply Seasonic G12 GM - 850W 80 Plus Gold
Mouse Corsair M65 ELITE RGB Optical FPS Gaming Mouse (18000 DPI Optical Sensor)
Keyboard Redragon K648 90% Wired Aluminium Mechanical - Rock-Solid Metal Board Built-in Noise Absorbing Foams
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
Software Windows 11 64-bit
I own a Motorola Razr I for a year and a half and it uses an Intel Atom 2.0Ghz Z2460 Medfield chip and I thought this was soooo damn cool so I had to pick up the phone!

It's pretty good but it lacks plenty of apps that I'd like to have and the performance is decent but suffers from random slow downs and have to restart the phone!

I can't wait for Intel to bring out a more powerful chip for phones as I'd buy one again ^^

System Name Felix777
Motherboard Biostar H61
Memory 8gb
Video Card(s) XFX RX 470
Storage WD 500GB BLK
Display(s) Acer p236h bd
Case Haf 912
Audio Device(s) onboard
Software Win 10 x64
I haven't heard of any intent by Intel to move into wireless phones. Considering all existing wireless phones are ARM, it would be like ARM making it's way into the desktop space which, fat chance on both accounts.

Maybe there hasn't been anything official stating they want to storm the market, but seeing as how the PC market is expected to keep declining in sales where else will they go to boost revenue?

Intel's own Obsidian UI for Tizen
Intel's quad-core atom with built in LTE

They have also developed an SoC called SoFIA
-Quote from SoFIA link-
What is SoFIA?
"Announced last December, SoFIA is a new mobile chip that's set to debut at the end of this year. Designed for budget smartphones, SoFIA is set to give Qualcomm and Mediatek a run for their money in this rapidly growing part of the market.

Intel has packed a dual-core Atom Silvermont processor into a 28nm system-on-chip (SoC) design that also crams in a 3G modem. An LTE 4G quad-core version will appear at a later stage. Intel declined to reveal more about performance at this point, saying only it expects it to be on par with current offerings from its competitors."

So I'd say intel does have their eyes set on the smartphone market. As for the ground they have to make up compared to the competition, I don't know what kind of budget those companies have, but we all know Intel's budget far surpasses any other. Link for 2013 R&D budgets

there's a table in that^ link that show's the R&D of intel being ~$10 million with everyone else topping just $3.3 million or less

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
Maybe there hasn't been anything official stating they want to storm the market, but seeing as how the PC market is expected to keep declining in sales where else will they go to boost revenue?
Tablets like the Surface Pro.

If x86 has as much trouble getting market share as Windows Phone does, it isn't going to go anywhere fast.

System Name Felix777
Motherboard Biostar H61
Memory 8gb
Video Card(s) XFX RX 470
Storage WD 500GB BLK
Display(s) Acer p236h bd
Case Haf 912
Audio Device(s) onboard
Software Win 10 x64
i feel like you're being sort of...unoptimistic. Why is it you have such doubt that the company with the greatest manufacturing labs and technology, as well as some of the brightest minds in chip making, won't be able to be competitive? I could understand ARM trying to move to desktop and Intel is a giant in that field, but for intel to move into the handheld field its more like there's a few "big" companies in the field, but not on the scale that Intel is.

It really isn't that i'm an intel fanboy and want them to destroy qualcomm or anything, but when i look at intel's resources compared to other companies its just like "wow it would take 2-4 companies just to match intel".

v12dock

Block Caption of Rainey Street
Supporter
They have to destroy puny AMD first. It's clear that the size of the company does not matter with chip making we all remember Larrabee

Last edited:
System Name Felix777
Motherboard Biostar H61
Memory 8gb
Video Card(s) XFX RX 470
Storage WD 500GB BLK
Display(s) Acer p236h bd
Case Haf 912
Audio Device(s) onboard
Software Win 10 x64
They have to destroy puny AMD first. It's clear that the size of the company does not matter with chip making we all remember Larrabee

But they can't destroy AMD can they? i thought that would make them a monopoly which isn't allowed, and then there's the whole licensing of x64 that AMD invented. Correct me I'm wrong.

intel is already in the chip making race but i dont know if they will dominate. To decide if you want to invest in stocks just based on this, follow the companes techincal briefs to see if they have anything over existing competitors. From what i know INTEL smartphone SOC isnt all that. Plus that doesnt guarantee that Intel stocks will skyrocket.