• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Announces 8th Gen Core i7 Processor with Radeon Vega M Graphics

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Today, Intel is launching a first-of-its kind processor: the 8th Gen Intel Core processor with Radeon RX Vega M Graphics. Packed with features and performance crafted for gamers, content creators and fans of virtual and mixed reality, it expands Intel's portfolio thanks to its optimization for small form factors like 2 in 1s, thin and light notebooks, and mini PCs.

Among the devices launching with this processor: new thin and lightweight 2 in 1s from Dell and HP as well as the most powerful NUC Intel has ever introduced. The new 8th Gen Intel Core processor will come in two configurations:
  • 8th Gen Intel Core processor with Radeon RX Vega M GL Graphics (65W total package power)
  • 8th Gen Intel Core processor with Radeon RX Vega M GH Graphics (100W total package power), which features an unlocked configuration

Intel first shared initial details about this new addition to the 8th Gen Intel Core processor family in early November. It brings together the Intel quad-core CPU, Radeon RX Vega M graphics and 4GB of dedicated HBM2 using Intel's Embedded Multi-Die Interconnect Bridge (EMIB) technology. EMIB acts as a high-speed intelligent information bridge between the GPU and HBM2 and reduces the usual silicon footprint to less than half that of discrete components implemented separately.

With this space savings, OEMs have more freedom and flexibility to create innovative thin and light devices. For example, many 3-year-old systems weigh nearly 7 pounds, last a mere four hours and are more than 32 mm thick. With this new processor, enthusiast devices are slimmed to under 17 mm and can run up to eight hours1,5,6 on a single charge, while still delivering next-level performance. This, combined with the new real-time power sharing framework and software drivers, is a prime example of hardware and software innovations intersecting to create new possibilities.

A Processor for Gamers, Content Creators and Other Enthusiasts
The new 8th Gen Intel Core processor with Radeon RX Vega M graphics delivers a top-of-the-line experience to gamers and VR enthusiasts. This includes up to three times the frames per second on thinner, lighter and smaller devices compared with similar systems from three years ago and up to 40 percent compared with current discrete graphics. Now, gamers can play the latest titles like "Vermintide 2" in high resolution on the go or in their living room with smooth motion and vivid colors, all as part of a truly immersive gaming experience.

Content creators can also do more with this new processor, whether it's creating 3D images from scratch, editing videos seamlessly at home or on the go, or using the most popular creative applications. Compared with a 3-year-old PC with discrete graphics, content creation with Adobe Premier Pro is 42 percent faster. Imagine the combined flexibility and performance enabled with this new processor for content creators in the growing 2 in 1 form factors for PCs.

With the performance and graphics capability to run everything from Windows* Mixed Reality headsets to Oculus*, consumers have the options of which reality fits them best - whether they want to watch live sports and movies, explore famous landmarks or play VR games - all on a PC that is sleek, thin and smaller than they expect.

8th Gen Momentum Continues
In addition to the Intel NUC and new Dell and HP devices, this new 8th Gen Intel Core processor will enable a gaming cloud solution brought on by Artesyn and Gamestream. But this is only the start of what's coming with the 8th Gen Intel Core product portfolio this year. Expect to see more from Intel on the high-end performance notebook segment, the Intel Core H-series, Intel Optane memory coming to 8th Gen Intel Core mobile devices for the first time and more details on 8th Gen Intel Core vPro platform for businesses.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

I wonder if any of these will feature in a gaming laptop, especially the ones with Vega M GL?

Processor Ryzen 3600
Motherboard X570 I Aorus Pro
Cooling Deepcool AG400
Memory HyperX Fury 2 x 8GB 3200 CL16
Video Card(s) RX 470 Nitro+ 4GB
Storage SX8200 Pro 512 / NV2 512
Display(s) 24G2U
Case NR200P
Power Supply Ion SFX 650
Mouse G703
Keyboard Keychron V1 (Akko Matcha Green) / Apex m500 (gateron milky yellow)
Software W10
The 100w part with the GH Vega is apparently on par with 1060 max-q. That's pretty respectable if you ask me.
Now of only Amd would offer us a full Ryzen-Vega mcm...

System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Corsair h115i pro rgb
Memory 16GB G.Skill Flare X 3200 CL14 @3800Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor 6900 XT Red Devil 1.1v@2400Mhz
Storage M.2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500MB/ Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Display(s) LG 27UD69 UHD / LG 27GN950
Case Fractal Design G
Audio Device(s) Realtec 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic 750W GOLD
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech slim
Software Windows 10 64 bit
I wonder what this means for AMD and Intel since those 2 companies don't like each other so much and now it turns out that Intel is AMD's customer. I hope it's for better.
AMD is preparing new shrink for GPU's and I wonder if Intel is getting the new stuff or just the current Vega product. Wonder if the 2000 series AMD APU's will be same as Intel's?

I wonder what this means for AMD and Intel since those 2 companies don't like each other so much and now it turns out that Intel is AMD's customer. I hope it's for better.
Don't like each other? :-D
AMD and Intel have been cooperating since PCs begun.
You're confusing companies with fanboys. Companies cooperate beautifully. They exchange ideas, they trade tech. They help each other with stuff like security.
It's like in sport. Competing athletes "fight" during an event, they do some publicity "conflicts" and so on. But they often train together. :)
AMD is preparing new shrink for GPU's and I wonder if Intel is getting the new stuff or just the current Vega product.
Most likely yes.
Wonder if the 2000 series AMD APU's will be same as Intel's?
No. AMD APU is for AM4 - it uses system RAM. And it has way less Vega cores (the whole APU is the size of Vega part in Intel's MCM).

To me this is very good, because as these companies work together, especially unexpected alliances like this one between Intel and AMD, it hopefully means that the technology will advance at a faster rate than it otherwise might and we might get some very cool innovations and devices in the near future. It also wouldn't hurt if they could come up with some very impressive and high powered technology, but at reasonable prices.

It also may end up being a situation where Intel learns from AMD and vice versa, and they both come out of it stronger, smarter companies for it.

If nothing else all of this generates positive publicity and attention for computers and technology and maybe, as a result, generates higher sales of computers and computer components, and, as I said, creates more innovation or spurs more investment in computers and computer companies.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory Team Group Dark Pro 8Pack Edition 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 FE
Storage Kingston A2000 1TB + Seagate HDD workhorse
Display(s) Samsung 50" QN94A Neo QLED
Case Antec 1200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11
Spectre and the impending Meltdown sure has taken the shine off, still... we all love abominations.

System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Case Fractal Design G
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech slim
Don't like each other? :-D
AMD and Intel have been cooperating since PCs begun.
You're confusing companies with fanboys. Companies cooperate beautifully. They exchange ideas, they trade tech. They help each other with stuff like security.
It's like in sport. Competing athletes "fight" during an event, they do some publicity "conflicts" and so on. But they often train together. :)

Most likely yes.

No. AMD APU is for AM4 - it uses system RAM. And it has way less Vega cores (the whole APU is the size of Vega part in Intel's MCM).
Sure but keep in mind that it's not sports. It's business don't mix that up. AMD and Intel has shown many times that they are not fond of each other so saying they don't like each other much is justified expression. Besides the fact that AMD's Vega is powering Intel's CPU's doesn't mean both companies like each other and please stop with this fanboy stuff it's really getting old and bringing it up here isn't the right thing. If you disagree it's fine but give and example don't say that what I know and have observed over several years with these two companies is a fanboy crap.

Sure but keep in mind that it's not sports. It's business don't mix that up.
It's the same.
Some of you people really think that Intel and AMD are having this brutal fight for CPU superiority. That they "don't like each other" and so on.
This is a very naive idea of how stuff looks in business. In reality they are simply competing, they're not at war. The war is just among fanboys. :)

You can be sure that people from both companies know each other very well. HQs are like 300m apart, so employees most likely meet during lunch or spend time together after work. Obviously, many have worked for the other company in the past. It's a very closed group after all.
And NVIDIA is also just 1km away.

I can tell you that banking and insurance companies cooperate beautifully - even though financial regulators often try to block this. Tech companies have far more legal possibilities.
You've never heard about price fixing? You know, when competitors decide to simultaneously raise prices, because it's better to help each other than fight and cannibalize profits? :)

System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Case Fractal Design G
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech slim
It's the same.
Some of you people really think that Intel and AMD are having this brutal fight for CPU superiority. That they "don't like each other" and so on.
This is a very naive idea of how stuff looks in business. In reality they are simply competing, they're not at war. The war is just among fanboys. :)

You can be sure that people from both companies know each other very well. HQs are like 300m apart, so employees most likely meet during lunch or spend time together after work. Obviously, many have worked for the other company in the past. It's a very closed group after all.
And NVIDIA is also just 1km away.

I can tell you that banking and insurance companies cooperate beautifully - even though financial regulators often try to block this. Tech companies have far more legal possibilities.
You've never heard about price fixing? You know, when competitors decide to simultaneously raise prices, because it's better to help each other than fight and cannibalize profits? :)

No it's not. it was shown many times from both sides. Competition yes but dislike as well. Stop correcting people and call them names. Cut this fanboy stuff as well cause it's getting old and it's just stupid. Remember that you are not the alpha and omega. You can have your comments, suggestions or ideas about the situation but you can't tell people that you are the only one right.
And please stop teaching me or anybody else here about banking, insurance, cash flow or markets etc. Knowing each other doesn't define you have to like them.
Yeah and that's called business not sports. Employees, man you crack me up with this. Employee is just a piece of puzzle. You need to see the bigger picture here. That's what I have noticed, it's mine. So please stop.