• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Appeals Against $1.3 Billion Fine by EU, from 2009

Should Intel pay the fine?

• Yes

Votes: 50 79.4%
  • No

Votes: 13 20.6%

• Total voters

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
You usually get mud in your eyes where you're from? /s

Dust actually. It hasn't rained here in weeks. :D

It doesn't mater that AMD dropped the lawsuit, it's not AMD that started the inquiry into intel's business practices, it's the EU itself. It's called self-mandated and that's what a state's anti-corruption body, in this case the EC, does when it hears about issues between two parties non-related to said government or the EU. Lawbreaking is still lawbreaking and intel should pay per European law. Whatever ideas you have about US law... you can flush that down the toilet. It doesn't apply here.

I fully agree that the EU should be able to mandate it's own laws and that it has nothing to do with US jurisdiction.
I also agree that if Intel wants to do business in the EU that they have to follow the laws set forth, and that if they are found guilty should have to pay the fines.

I just think that Intel should fight it to the death because I like the drama.

Andy77

Dust actually. It hasn't rained here in weeks. :D

Huh... so it not just where I live. Well good from one point, bad from another.

I fully agree that the EU should be able to mandate it's own laws and that it has nothing to do with US jurisdiction.
I also agree that if Intel wants to do business in the EU that they have to follow the laws set forth, and that if they are found guilty should have to pay the fines.

I just think that Intel should fight it to the death because I like the drama.

I don't... every fight costs, not just intel but the EU taxpayer as well.

Undead46

Processor i7-2600K @ 4.5GHz - 1.335VCore
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 WS Revolution (B3)
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory G.SKILL Ripjaws X 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 2133MHz 7-11-8-27-1N (F3-12800CL6D-4GBXH)
Video Card(s) Sapphire 6950 (Unlocked)
Storage OCZ Vertex 2 120GB SSD (OS & Games), 500GB WD Caviar Blue, 250GB WD Caviar Blue
Display(s) Dell 23" U2311H IPS Monitor
Case Cooler Master HAF X Full Tower
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Software Windows 7 Professional - 64bit
You guys are crazy...
If AMD dropped their case, then the EU has to present new evidence stating they broke the law.
AMD cannot contribute to the case since they settled; the EU cannot obtain said evidence.
EU can't prove they broke the law, because common sense doesn't work in the legal system.
Intel doesn't have to pay, their appeal worked.

Basically how it's going to break down..

Should they pay? No, because they went through the legal system to avoid paying. Any business owner would have done the same.

Andy77

AMD cannot contribute to the case since they settled; the EU cannot obtain said evidence.

No, because AMD doesn't hold the evidence, that is held by the OEM's with which intel made verbal agreements during lunch meetings. Which in turn landed in the hands of authorities and can be used to enforce EC's own evidence.

http://www.sec.gov/litigation/litreleases/2010/lr21599.htm

Like I said, the EU justice system works differently than it does in the US. It's enough to get notice that lets say Dell refused to add AMD to their lineup when Athlon64 was released, that's before Christmas 2003 - a big sales period, and we have Michael Dell's "testimony" in which he clearly states AMD isn't worth it so no, AMD won't appear in Dell systems, which then in 2004 still happens because Pentium 4 were seen as a weaker options and pressure was made to include Athlon64's in their systems. It's enough to notice that a business man like Michael D., making some strange comments which didn't hold any water, didn't act in the best interest of his company by acknowledging the better product and offering solution as such.

Wouldn't you lets say as an investor find it strange if your CEO made a business decision that in effect would produce loss of image as a brand, clients and money? Keep in mind, that as an investor you have a much higher power of control over security in your company, compared to execs - i.e. your "labors", and can in effect gather evidence that the dealings your CEO and co. (aka the foot-soldiers) made with intel actually were a big screw-up for you.

Rising an eyebrow and then finding some... skeletons.

That's all it takes to become suspicious, and inquiries then can prove those suspicions right or wrong.

Cruncher Pete

As I am only a private user of both Intel and AMD chips, I see this as a loss to me for whatever happens, ultimately it will be the user who pays the cost as it will be past on. The lawyers will be winning as usual.

babash*t

System Name Baba
Processor AMD FX 8120 @4.2Ghz
Motherboard MSi 990FX GD65
Cooling Thermaltake Frio
Memory 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance LP
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD 7870 2gb
Storage 500GB WD blue + 2x2TB WD green
Display(s) 2x AOC i2353Fh IPS LED Monitors
Case Generic
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply CoolerMaster GX650 Bronze
Software Win 7 Ultimate 64bit / Win 8 64bit Release Preview
Intel should be judged guilty/pay up.. hoping that will mean more availability of amd products(compared to Intel) thus better competition - prices from both, WIn for the end user

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Intel should be judged guilty/pay up.. hoping that will mean more availability of amd products(compared to Intel) thus better competition - prices from both, WIn for the end user

That would require AMD to actually develop and release those CPU's, which they can't, and having them perform the same as Intel, which they won't (at the higher end). CPU's from all sides are readily avaliable.

Andy77

As I am only a private user of both Intel and AMD chips, I see this as a loss to me for whatever happens, ultimately it will be the user who pays the cost as it will be past on. The lawyers will be winning as usual.

Well, considering that those deals were made since 2000 or so I'd say intel and co.'s customers are already paying for years, intel just banked it all in the event it got caught and now that it did it has to cough up the dough. That's actually your money, Pete, not intel's.