• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Arc Alchemist Reference Boards Offered to Partners

Intel Senior VP and GM of Graphics Group, Raja Koduri has recently been interviewed by Japanese site ASCII where he revealed some new details about the companies upcoming Arc Alchemist gaming graphics cards. The cards will be manufactured on the TSMC N6 process instead of Intel's 7 node due to limited capacity however he did confirm that future cards could be manufactured directly by Intel. Raja also confirmed that Intel was currently offering reference boards to their partners to develop custom Arc Alchemist cards. This reference board is likely the same one we saw in early leaks from Moore's Law is Dead and the design featured by Intel in their promotional videos. The board partners may use the same cooler design in their cards or create semi-custom solutions.

Raja Koduri said:
Partners and I think there will be a differentiation of ODM, and that will lead to the ultimate customer interest

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
So, reviews yet? Raj is already talking about manufacturing on Intel nodes that don’t exist, much like this product.
Where is the proof, much less the pudding?

System Name Cypher-C4
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
Cooling Deepcool AK620
Memory 32GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 3200MHz
Video Card(s) Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual
Storage 250GB Crucial MX500 + 2TB Crucial MX500 + 2TB WD Black + 4TB Toshiba + 1TB Samsung F3
Display(s) Acer XV272UP
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D
Audio Device(s) Behringher UMC202HD Audio Interface + Mackie HM-4 + Sennheiser HD 280 Pro + Shure SM58
Power Supply Corsair HX750i
Mouse Steelseries Rival 310
Keyboard Keychron K8 + Kailh BOX Crystal Jade switches + Ducky Good in Blue keycaps
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
So, reviews yet? Raj is already talking about manufacturing on Intel nodes that don’t exist, much like this product.
...what?

They're slated to launch next year and you're complaining that there are no reviews out?

Well good luck with that. With TSMC bogged down Intel's cards will not be any more available or MSRP priced that Nvidia and AMD cards are riight now. Not to mention that both AMD APU's and consoles are supposed to move to N6 too.

System Name Work in progress
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus PRIME B350M-A
Cooling Wraith Stealth Cooler, 4x140mm Noctua NF-A14 FLX 1200RPM Case Fans
Memory Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) CMK16GX4M2A2400C14R DDR4 2400MHz Vengeance LPX DIMM
Video Card(s) GTX 1050 2GB (for now) 3060 12GB on order
Storage Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, Lots of HDD storage
Display(s) 32 inch 4K LG, 55 & 48 inch LG OLED, 40 inch Panasonic LED LCD
Case Cooler Master Silencio S400
Audio Device(s) Sound: LG Monitor Built-in speakers (currently), Mike: Marantz MaZ
Power Supply Corsair CS550M 550W ATX Power Supply, 80+ Gold Certified, Semi-Modular Design
Mouse Logitech M280
Keyboard Logitech Wireless Solar Keyboard K750R (works best in summer)
VR HMD none
Software Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64bit OEM, Captur 1 21
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R20: 3508 (WIP)
What is the firmware for vapourware?

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Fugly sample to boot

What is the firmware for vapourware?
It does not compute

Well good luck with that. With TSMC bogged down Intel's cards will not be any more available or MSRP priced that Nvidia and AMD cards are riight now. Not to mention that both AMD APU's and consoles are supposed to move to N6 too.
Bet APUs will trounce Raja.

...what?

They're slated to launch next year and you're complaining that there are no reviews out?
By the time intel gets these out AMD and ngreedia will have new parts out.

System Name Cypher-C4
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
Cooling Deepcool AK620
Memory 32GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 3200MHz
Video Card(s) Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual
Storage 250GB Crucial MX500 + 2TB Crucial MX500 + 2TB WD Black + 4TB Toshiba + 1TB Samsung F3
Display(s) Acer XV272UP
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D
Audio Device(s) Behringher UMC202HD Audio Interface + Mackie HM-4 + Sennheiser HD 280 Pro + Shure SM58
Power Supply Corsair HX750i
Mouse Steelseries Rival 310
Keyboard Keychron K8 + Kailh BOX Crystal Jade switches + Ducky Good in Blue keycaps
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
System Name Personal Gaming Rig
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI X670E Carbon
Cooling MO-RA 3 420
Memory 32GB 6000MHz
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 ICHILL FROSTBITE ULTRA
Storage 4x 2TB Nvme
Display(s) Samsung G8 OLED
Case Silverstone FT04
Reference "boards" not reference "cards" ?
Could be just bare PCB with layout and traces.

More hype, more disappointment.

ixi

Fugly sample to boot

It does not compute

Bet APUs will trounce Raja.

By the time intel gets these out AMD and ngreedia will have new parts out.

If everything comes out as planned for now. Intel release will be next year start ehile amd and nvidia at the end of the next year.

This is the reason why I ordered msi 3060 ti gaming z trio for 600e... :D

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Your point being...?
That intel will already be behind architechurally.

Remember Raja is a AMD leftover that was fired due to the handling of Vega and his lying.

PowerVR/Imagination Technologies has a better chance at competing against both AMD and ngreedia if they were to release a X86 discreet GPU.

Remember Raja is a AMD leftover that was fired due to the handling of Vega and his lying.
First point, I agree. By next year, both AMD and Nvidia should be ready to announce their next gen GPUs if the rumours are true. So releasing a new GPU that matches say a RX 6700 XT and RTX 3070 is not going to go far. They may sell well at the start since the shortage is still bad, but post that, they either have to compete on price, or end up stuck with unsold GPUs.

For point 2, is this fact or just speculation? I've not recalled reading anything about this. I am no fan of Raja and his beat around the bush method to try and minimise disappointment, but to his defence, AMD likely don't have a lot of budget for him at that point in time for the development of Vega. I recall AMD was at the brink of bankruptcy. Budget is less of an issue over at Intel (though he don't have infinite resources). If the product is on point with the target performance, I think Intel/ Raja have done pretty well for their first GPU. Just that the release timeline is quite late, so back to point 1.

System Name [H]arbringer
Processor 4x 61XX ES @3.5Ghz (48cores)
Motherboard SM GL
Cooling 3x xspc rx360, rx240, 4x DT G34 snipers, D5 pump.
Memory 16x gskill DDR3 1600 cas6 2gb
Video Card(s) blah bigadv folder no gfx needed
Storage 32GB Sammy SSD
Display(s) headless
Case Xigmatek Elysium (whats left of it)
Audio Device(s) yawn
Power Supply Antec 1200w HCP
Software Ubuntu 10.10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1780855 http://www.hwbot.org/submission/2158678 http://ww
First point, I agree. By next year, both AMD and Nvidia should be ready to announce their next gen GPUs if the rumours are true. So releasing a new GPU that matches say a RX 6700 XT and RTX 3070 is not going to go far. They may sell well at the start since the shortage is still bad, but post that, they either have to compete on price, or end up stuck with unsold GPUs.

For point 2, is this fact or just speculation? I've not recalled reading anything about this. I am no fan of Raja and his beat around the bush method to try and minimise disappointment, but to his defence, AMD likely don't have a lot of budget for him at that point in time for the development of Vega. I recall AMD was at the brink of bankruptcy. Budget is less of an issue over at Intel (though he don't have infinite resources). If the product is on point with the target performance, I think Intel/ Raja have done pretty well for their first GPU. Just that the release timeline is quite late, so back to point 1.
He went on sabbatical immediately following Vega launch.... https://www.anandtech.com/show/11836/raja-koduri-sabbatical

And never returned.... Joined intel a month after going on a 3mo. sabbatical.

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk
Cooling Alpenföhn Brocken 3 140mm
Memory Patriot Viper 4 - DDR4 3400 MHz 2x8 GB
Video Card(s) Radeon RX460 2 GB
Storage Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 500, Samsung 860 500 GB, 2x Western Digital RED 4 TB
Display(s) Dell UltraSharp U2312HM
Case be quiet! Pure Base 500 + Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12 + 2x ARCTIC P14
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster ZxR,
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-650
Mouse Logitech G305
Keyboard Lenovo USB
I was hoping too that they would make their GPUs in their own factories, so there would be more cards available worldwide, but they are using TSMC, like they don't know that they have limited capacity. So much for the cheap intel graphics cards. :(

Didn't he also design the NAVI/RDNA architecture too? Or lead the team making it?

System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k -> 12600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 -> Gigabyte Z690 Auros Elite DDR4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 -> Custom Watercoolingloop
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz -> Crucial (8x2) 16gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480 -> ... nope still the same :'(
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb -> 2tb MVMe SSD
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television) -> Dell S3220DGF
Case antec 600 -> Thermaltake Tenor HTCP case
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
really sad that they dont make something on their easy well established 14nm+++++++ tbh because then they might actually be able to do something to shake up the status quo.
going to tsmc like everyone else just means we will get another overpriced product.

He went on sabbatical immediately following Vega launch.... https://www.anandtech.com/show/11836/raja-koduri-sabbatical

And never returned.... Joined intel a month after going on a 3mo. sabbatical.
Yes, but that itself is not proof that he got fired. Perhaps he took sabbatical leave with intention to jump ship to Intel. I am pretty sure for the role that he got at Intel and the position he held at AMD, it is not something that you interview, resign and join all in a month or 2 timeline.

Didn't he also design the NAVI/RDNA architecture too? Or lead the team making it?
I think he may have a hand in the design of RDNA since GPUs normally take many years to develop. Given that AMD don't have that much budget for R&D work back when Vega was released, I don't believe they will throw the design away and start RDNA design from scratch. But there could be significant changes made after he left. Just my speculation.

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
Hard to believe, usually the likes of AMD and Nvidia usually deliver reference boards a couple of weeks before launch but Intel for some reason did it months before release ? Yeah, I'm not buying it.

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
I was hoping too that they would make their GPUs in their own factories, so there would be more cards available worldwide, but they are using TSMC, like they don't know that they have limited capacity. So much for the cheap intel graphics cards. :(
It's a real shame. It would have been a decent use of their 14nm node now that CPUs are moving to 10nm, and honestly if it were price competitive I think enough people would have tried it. Making another GPU at TSMC is a waste of time.
Technically yes, but in reality the majority of the work done to rDNA was done after he left. Once Raja took off members of the Zen architecture team were brought in to lead the team that made rDNA. rDNA was still in the earliest design stages when raja left.

His real claim to fame was polaris,w hich was compettive, but instead of scaling it up he went with the 3DFX strategy and vega was the result. The zen led team did finally manage to get vega to a point where it is an efficient iGPU design, but it took years. If he'd just scaled up polaris to meet at least the 1070 he wouldnt have earned the reputation he did....

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
...what?

Well we have been hearing about them they're entire pre built life FFS.

They're setting themselves up for a driver fail fall, with quite the hype train.

It's a real shame. It would have been a decent use of their 14nm node now that CPUs are moving to 10nm, and honestly if it were price competitive I think enough people would have tried it. Making another GPU at TSMC is a waste of time.

Technically yes, but in reality the majority of the work done to rDNA was done after he left. Once Raja took off members of the Zen architecture team were brought in to lead the team that made rDNA. rDNA was still in the earliest design stages when raja left.

His real claim to fame was polaris,w hich was compettive, but instead of scaling it up he went with the 3DFX strategy and vega was the result. The zen led team did finally manage to get vega to a point where it is an efficient iGPU design, but it took years. If he'd just scaled up polaris to meet at least the 1070 he wouldnt have earned the reputation he did....
Different nodes have different design constraints and 14nm has no future. So yeah they could have made a short lived 14nm GPU on their own node but it would have been a waste of time and effort to design a chip on a node with no future, and presumably what they design for TSMC 6nm is at least somewhat applicable to their own 10nm and 7nm nodes so at least some of the engeineering work and lessons leaned would carry over. Not to mention the disadvantage of building 14nm GPU dies vs. what your competition is doing with 7 and 8nm in terms of production cost and the resulting embarrassingly high power consumption that would be associated.

Given time frames of when Vega came out and how long architectures take to develop RDNA design work would have been pretty much 100% done so it would stand to reason that Raja would have seen that through from start to finish as well from a design perspective.

Last edited:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD

Amd was not anywhere near bankruptcy (console APUs)

Processor Intel i7 10700F
Motherboard Asus Prime Z490-P
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock TF
Memory 2x16GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz RGB (dual rank e-die)
Video Card(s) EVGA 3060 XC Gaming
Storage Patriot VPN100 256GB, Samsung 980 PRO 1TB, Intel 710 300GB, Micron M500 960GB, Seagate Skyhawk 4TB
Display(s) ASUS VG27AQZ
Case Be Quiet Silent Base 800
Audio Device(s) X-fi HD
Power Supply Corsair RM550x (2018)
Mouse Cooler Master MM720
Keyboard Kingston HyperX Alloy FPS

PowerVR/Imagination Technologies has a better chance at competing against both AMD and ngreedia if they were to release a X86 discreet GPU.
Vega was AMD's most mature arch ever. Flawless drivers without the usual annoying bugs. Finally working idle (idle hbm clocks even with multiple high refresh rate displays). Very high quality boards. Scaled extremely well downwards... If the goal would be around 1070's performance, they could make it with similar power consumption. Unfortunately, AMD decided to run Vegas way beyond their sweetspot clocks and left them with a huge voltage headroom (I guess because of yield problems). Properly tuned Vega is not bad at all.

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
Unfortunately, AMD decided to run Vegas way beyond their sweetspot clocks and left them with a huge voltage headroom (I guess because of yield problems). Properly tuned Vega is not bad at all.

That's because Vega was likely never intended to be sold to regular consumers, it's a compute focused architecture with a huge transistor budget and expensive HBM, that's also why it was so good at mining and why it worked very well under low clocks. There is no way to know this for sure but my guess is that AMD planed for two architectures around that time, one for compute and one for graphics (same way Nvidia does it) but for some reason, likely cost and time, the graphics focused one got axed/was postponed (RDNA) and we got Vega everywhere.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
That's because Vega was likely never intended to be sold to regular consumers, it's a compute focused architecture with a huge transistor budget and expensive HBM, that's also why it was so good at mining and why it worked very well under low clocks. There is no way to know this for sure but my guess is that AMD planed for two architectures around that time, one for compute and one for graphics (same way Nvidia does it) but for some reason, likely cost and time, the graphics focused one got axed/was postponed (RDNA) and we got Vega everywhere.
This.

Sure AMD has come up with a LOT of good ideas and they haven’t had the funds or people to bring a few to fruition. Raj was so focused on making high performance compute parts that were supposed to be great at everything he forgot GPUs are for gaming. He is doing the same at Intel and they will have (someday after the smoke clears, and the mirrors are broken) a compute die that also does graphics at mediocre performance and or high performance with high TDP. The supposed huge performance increases we were told about that were first only IGP parts that failed to meet competitive benchmarks against Vega ( XE was 10% slower) in the same power envelope (Intel 15W VS AMD 15W) AMD also having twice the cores, and better overall performance.

In retrospect thats how Vega looks now but Raja hyped this thing to the moon before its release on all kinds of media outlets that are heavily consumer and gamer focused. Vega was definetly supposed to power high-end gaming graphics cards based on what AMD was saying at the time, whether it started that way on paper or not is anyone's guess.