• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Core i7 "Ivy Bridge-E" HEDT Lineup Detailed

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
The "K" next to the 4820 makes me rather happy.

You make it sound like non-K CPUs on skt2011 can't overclock...

3820_oc.PNG

The highest multi I can use it 43, but that's more than enough when your bclk can hit 133Mhz.

That's my 24/7 OC, it does go higher but my motherboard doesn't let me hit 5Ghz, 4.75-4.8Ghz is about the best I can do stable at semi-reasonable temperatures, but 4.4 has been a comfy spot.

I don't think I'm going to be upgrading (even more so if I'm going to have to de-lid an IVB-E for decent temps,) but if I were, I would go with a 6c and if prices of the 3930k goes down, I might rather just go with that instead if I do take that route. We'll have to see how these new CPUs hold up. SB-E has a little higher latency because of the huge memory controller and the larger L3 cache, so maybe the shrink will do some good things with the IMC with cache latencies.

I'll wait for benchmarks before I start placing judgment on Intel.

Also for all of those who are saying X79 is a let down, unless you own a SB-E machine, I would stop talking about what you don't know anything about. I've been very happy with my X79 machine and it has delivered in every way shape and form. It's fun to use and it's a great platform to work on. I also find it rather amusing when people complain about the power consumption despite the facts that it has more cache, double the size of the IMC and double the size of the PCI-E controller, and add a couple cores. So yeah, I can perfectly understand why SB-E eats more power and I'm willing to bet that it only has part to do with the cores and has a lot to do with cache, the IMC, and the PCI-E controller.

I love my SB-E rig and I know a lot of other people who love theirs too. So despite it lacking more SATA 6Gb ports (do you really have more than two or four SSDs?) it's really not a bad platform. The PCH doesn't do nearly as much as a chipset in that position as done in the past. The CPU does most of everything and in most modern rigs, 2 integrated SATA 6Gb ports and 2 external ones if the board has it, is plenty.

Also don't complain about SATA, if you have a skt2011 machine you have 40 PCI-E lanes that are ready to get filled up with things that don't need to be video cards. If I were really going to run more than 2 SSDs, I would rather have a decent RAID controller to handle them as opposed to using RSTe.

Also last time I checked z77 also only has two SATA 6Gb ports off the PCH, so it's not like it's a downgrade though.

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name Blackbird
Processor AMD Threadripper 3960X 24-core
Motherboard Gigabyte TRX40 Aorus Master
Cooling Full custom-loop water cooling, mostly Aqua Computer and EKWB stuff!
Memory 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident-Z RGB @3733-CL14
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 3090 FE
Storage Samsung 950PRO 512GB, Crusial P5 2TB, Samsung 850PRO 1TB
Display(s) LG 38GN950-B 38" IPS TFT, Dell U3011 30" IPS TFT
Case CaseLabs TH10A
Audio Device(s) Edifier S1000DB
Power Supply ASUS ROG Thor 1200W (SeaSonic)
Mouse Logitech MX Master
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex M800
Software MS Windows 10 Pro for Workstation
Benchmark Scores A lot.
There will be no 8 core version.
These are crippled Xeons for the consumer 'enthusiast' market. They're priced for consumers, Xeons are much much more expensive. Intel is not going to sell a Xeon for cheap just because you want one... they would lose large amounts of money as the enterprise and workstation customers buy up all the cheap 8 cores for their servers.

make an extreme edition unlocked ivb-e 8-core and charge the same amount a similiar clocked xeon would cost. i'll bet there will be buyers from the enthusiast camp... ;) even if this means paying 2k for it!

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Software MacOS 12.1
System Name Blackbird
Case CaseLabs TH10A
Mouse Logitech MX Master
Benchmark Scores A lot.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
Processor Intel i7 4790K
Motherboard Asus Z97 Deluxe
Cooling Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120
Memory Corsair Dominator 1866Mhz 4X4GB
Video Card(s) Asus R290X
Storage Samsung 850 Pro SSD 256GB/Samsung 840 Evo SSD 1TB
Display(s) Samsung S23A950D
Case Corsair 850D
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek
Power Supply Corsair AX850
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Software Windows 10 x64
I love my SB-E rig and I know a lot of other people who love theirs too. .

I had a sandy bridge-e system with a 3930k and I didn't like it. It felt like a slow unresponsive mess to me. I got rid of it within weeks. Overclocks doesn't mean the system feels fast and responsive. I have always bought the highend Intel platform but I ditched sandy-e for mainstream ivy and its a better system imo.

My ivy(3770k) performs about the same as my 3930k in all benchmarks except where the extra 2 cores come into play, even then not much difference.....and the Ivy uses like 40% less power!

The memory controller on ivy is much faster and much better latency than sandy-e. Look on the benchmarks, sandy-e mem latency is around 64ns on ivy around 40ns (at default 1600Mhz) and memory throughput is around 2,000MB/s faster on ivy(at default 1600Mhz).

So the super duper quad channel memory system is slower and much more latency than mainstream ivy and I noticed it in responsiveness and how the system feels.

Add to that, the half baked features, X79 basically has equal to or LESS features than a mainstream ivy board. Even the driver updates are few and far between, its like a beta system.

X79 could have been good but it seems Intel just gave up on it, to focus on ivy and haswell.

I haven't given up on the high end, still hoping ivy-e will be good enough to buy, tri-gate on ivy-e could really help with responsiveness and imc performance, but if they are going to use current unfinished X79 boards they can jam it, I'll move to Haswell in that case.

System Name Blackbird
Case CaseLabs TH10A
Mouse Logitech MX Master
Benchmark Scores A lot.
I had a sandy bridge-e system with a 3930k and I didn't like it. It felt like a slow unresponsive mess to me. I got rid of it within weeks. Overclocks doesn't mean the system feels fast and responsive. I have always bought the highend Intel platform but I ditched sandy-e for mainstream ivy and its a better system imo.

My ivy(3770k) performs about the same as my 3930k in all benchmarks except where the extra 2 cores come into play, even then not much difference.....and the Ivy uses like 40% less power!

The memory controller on ivy is much faster and much better latency than sandy-e. Look on the benchmarks, sandy-e mem latency is around 64ns on ivy around 40ns (at default 1600Mhz) and memory throughput is around 2,000MB/s faster on ivy(at default 1600Mhz).

So the super duper quad channel memory system is slower and much more latency than mainstream ivy and I noticed it in responsiveness and how the system feels.

Add to that, the half baked features, X79 basically has equal to or LESS features than a mainstream ivy board. Even the driver updates are few and far between, its like a beta system.

X79 could have been good but it seems Intel just gave up on it, to focus on ivy and haswell.

I haven't given up on the high end, still hoping ivy-e will be good enough to buy, tri-gate on ivy-e could really help with responsiveness and imc performance, but if they are going to use current unfinished X79 boards they can jam it, I'll move to Haswell in that case.

looks to me like you've done something wrong here. what board did you use?
for memory throughput, i got well over 40GB/s on my R4E read and write. i suppose thats never possible on z77, even with an ivy bridge chip... but i'll check that, i've a maximus v formula lying around somewhere with a 3570k. :)
memory latency is another topic, but even with ivb-e the 'small' plattform (read: ivy bridge + z77) will be better here simply because there isn't so much going on.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1

Then you weren't doing it right because it should be just as fast. Yes the 3770k is a bit faster in some cases, but it doesn't mean that it is dead slow and if it felt slow and unresponsive you did something wrong.

Also if you bought SB-E for gaming, you already did something wrong. :shadedshu

Yes, the IVB chip also has 4 cores, not 6. 8Mb of cache, not 15Mb. 20 PCI-E lanes, not 40. It doesn't have QPI, SB-E does. SB-E has a bigger memory controller, IVB does not. IVB is also a newer CPU using a smaller process, so just the die shrink alone will reduce power consumption, so if you compare it to a similar core (2600k) it only uses 30% more power to double just about everything other than the cores.

Benchmarks also say which is faster, it doesn't explicitly mean that the faster one is fastn and the slower one is always very slow. If you bought SB-E for single-thread performance alone then you made a mistake in the first place.

So yeah, it eats more power because it has a lot more stuff shoved into it than IVB has and it is still 32nm.

Then once again you're doing something wrong because the latency on my 3820 is only ~42ns. The cache is very slightly slower, but I also have 10Mb of it on the 3820. Also your memory benchmark must have been single-threaded because the quad-channel memory controller doesn't start chugging away until you have multiple cores hit it. Two channels is plenty for two fully loaded cores with a lot of memory I/O.

I've seen multi-threaded memory benchmarks dominate on SB-E CPUs, even my 3820 does pretty well.
View attachment 46994
Sandra also doesn't use a single-thread to measure memory bandwidth.

Really? Last time I checked z77 only has two SATA 6Gb ports as well. If you take a look at the back of my board I also have 6 USB 3.0 ports as well as headers for another 4. X79 is only the PCH which is basically a glorified south bridge with a couple IOH-like attributes (like 8 PCI-E lanes off the PCH.) More often than not, what the PCH offers is enough and if you need more, expand. PCI-E was developed for more than just video cards.

So before you start going on this "IVB has more" that's crap. It's also a lot less about the chipset now because the CPU handles most of everything. Also if you're complaining about SATA 6Gb ports, you only have one SSD, so why do you care?

Also no updates aren't a bad thing. My SB-E rig is perfectly stable. Why would I update my chipset drivers if it is working flawlessly and why would Intel want to introduce new bugs when they have something that works fine already.

Since the PCH determines so much in the way of performance? Like I said, SB-E has 40 PCI-e lanes for a reason, if your board doesn't have something that you need then add it. If you're going to complain about the PCH not having everything you ever hoped for, you even more of a troll than I initial thought. :mad:
looks to me like you've done something wrong here. what board did you use?
for memory throughput, i got well over 40GB/s on my R4E read and write. i suppose thats never possible on z77, even with an ivy bridge chip... but i'll check that, i've a maximus v formula lying around somewhere with a 3570k.
memory latency is another topic, but even with ivb-e the 'small' plattform (read: ivy bridge z77) will be better here simply because there isn't so much going on.

That's what I was thinking. My memory bandwidth is great. Always responsive, never a problem. I think he is one of those "if you have to ask about SB-E you probably don't need it" users and wasn't using it properly. Not to demean him, but to call SB-E slow and unresponsive is a sign of a problem with your platform or how it's configured, not the architecture.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Wait wait wait a minute, how on earth can tri-gate make a system more responsive?

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
Wait wait wait a minute, how on earth can tri-gate make a system more responsive?

It doesn't, which is why I'm inclined to think he is:
A: A troll. and...
B: Unknowledgeable of the subject. and...
C: Quick to jump to incorrect conclusions.

I hope my post cleared some things up. :)
Snipped anti-troll thread.

System Name Waterfall | xe
Processor Core i3-12100F | i5-1240P
Motherboard Gigabyte B660M-DS3H | HP laptop
Cooling Custom Watercooling | Stock laptop
Memory 2*16GB | 16GB DDR4
Video Card(s) RX 5700 with WC blocks | Iris Xe
Storage Intel 660 1TB + Crucial BX100 500GB | 1TB SSD
Display(s) U24E850R+U2515H | Internal 16"
Case Be Quiet! Dark Base 900 | Laptop
Audio Device(s) Audio 2 DJ + Xenyx Q802USB | Realtek
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W | 65W USB-C Power brick
Mouse Logitech M330
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Laptop
Software Gentoo + Windows 10 Pro | Gentoo

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
I've been waiting on this since IB-E was first talked about, glad it's confirmed it will be a drop-in replacement for my 3930k. Hopefully I can run 24/7 quad channel DDR3-2666 :D (My 3930k isn't 100% stable 24/7 with DDR3-2400).

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
I've been waiting on this since IB-E was first talked about, glad it's confirmed it will be a drop-in replacement for my 3930k. Hopefully I can run 24/7 quad channel DDR3-2666 :D (My 3930k isn't 100% stable 24/7 with DDR3-2400).

Really? My 3820 is running 2400Mhz stable now. I can run it up to 2450 stable, I haven't tried loosening the timings to get it higher since it's only rated for 2133@9-11-10-28 and I'm running it at 2416@10-12-11-30. Do you have memory that fast or are you trying to overclock it? I found my IMC to be pretty decent.

I have 2400 rated memory, several kits in fact. I can boot up 2400 and run some benchmarks, but something really stressful like OCCT Linpack AVX test fails. I've also noticed only my TridentX 2400C9 kit really works well with it, my Team 2400C9 and Vengeance 2400C9 are never stable. Given the IMC can run memory at 2400 it could be a matter of tweaking voltage but VCCSA up to 1.25v doesn't change anything.

System Name Jaguar X
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X670E-E Gaming WiFi
Cooling Corsair H150 RGB
Memory 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 4080 Gaming OC
Storage 1TB Kingston KC3000 + 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus
Display(s) LG C1
Case Cougar Panzer EVO RGB
Power Supply XPG Core Reactor 850W
Mouse Cougar Minos XT
Keyboard Cougar Ultimus RGB
Software Windows 11 Pro
Yes, the IVB chip also has 4 cores, not 6. 8Mb of cache, not 15Mb. 20 PCI-E lanes, not 40. It doesn't have QPI, SB-E does. SB-E has a bigger memory controller, IVB does not.

And don't forget , IB has cheap TlM and SB-E fluxless solder. For some people this has become a feature.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
I have 2400 rated memory, several kits in fact. I can boot up 2400 and run some benchmarks, but something really stressful like OCCT Linpack AVX test fails. I've also noticed only my TridentX 2400C9 kit really works well with it, my Team 2400C9 and Vengeance 2400C9 are never stable. Given the IMC can run memory at 2400 it could be a matter of tweaking voltage but VCCSA up to 1.25v doesn't change anything.

As I understand it, VCCSA helps bclk and cache overclocks where VTT/VCCIO is the DRAM controller voltage.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
As I understand it, VCCSA helps bclk and cache overclocks where VTT/VCCIO is the DRAM controller voltage.

Nope, VCCSA is system agent, is memory controller and cache, etc.

VCCIO is I/O, as it's labeled, and is the new "VTT", for BCLK.

VCCIO has ZERO relation to memory control for me. In fact, on SKT1155 I run stock VCCIO and VCCSA voltages in nearly all motherboard testing. There were a few boards that required that VCCSA is boosted, but only one or two, and only when running 2666 MHz memory.

It's just the same on X79, as VCCIO will need a boost for BCLK, but VCCSA might as well, since the base speed cache and everything is running at is higher. However, like SKT1155, I run 125x37 with stock VCCIO and VCCSA, and only increasing ram speed makes VCCSA increase needed.

Either way, hopefully our CPU reviewer will have a review when these chips launch. I also expect a few new boards, too.

System Name DEVIL'S ABYSS
Processor i7-4790K@4.6 GHz
Motherboard Asus Z97-Deluxe
Cooling Corsair H110 (2 x 140mm)(3 x 140mm case fans)
Memory 16GB Adata XPG V2 2400MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA 780 Ti Classified
Storage Intel 750 Series 400GB (AIC), Plextor M6e 256GB (M.2), 13 TB storage
Display(s) Crossover 27QW (27"@ 2560x1440)
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Mouse Ttsports Talon Blu
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 version 1803
Benchmark Scores Passmark CPU score = 13080
Let's Go!

........its truely the end of an era..... the. Great. Cpu war is over.......the needlessly overpowered pc is almost gone. And we await the time until desktops become. "The shiznit" once more to the masses.......still gonna upgrade anyway follow me if u dare..... or have enough play. Dough.

I'm with you - 900D, P9X79-E WS, i7-4860X, AX1200i, 8 x 8GB Dominator Plat. 3000, 2 x Titans, 480mm & 2 x 360mm radiators, about 30 fans, HUE & cold cathode lighting, triple 30" monitors, and whatever else I can think of. I figure I'll have just $13,000 in it, only a little bit more than my Dad paid for his first house. I have to build it. In a year or two they'll start soldering CPUs to the board, then RAM will be stacked on-die, the extreme chips will have a TDP of 33 watts, and the Era Of Ridiculously Overblown Computers will be over forever.

Mouse Ttsports Talon Blu
Keyboard Logitech G510
You Got That Right

And don't forget , IB has cheap TlM and SB-E fluxless solder. For some people this has become a feature.
Yeah I'm so ready to delid my 3570K I can already feel the chill wind blowing through my case!

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
I'm with you - 900D, P9X79-E WS, i7-4860X, AX1200i, 8 x 8GB Dominator Plat. 3000, 2 x Titans, 480mm & 2 x 360mm radiators, about 30 fans, HUE & cold cathode lighting, triple 30" monitors, and whatever else I can think of. I figure I'll have just $13,000 in it, only a little bit more than my Dad paid for his first house. I have to build it. In a year or two they'll start soldering CPUs to the board, then RAM will be stacked on-die, the extreme chips will have a TDP of 33 watts, and the Era Of Ridiculously Overblown Computers will be over forever.

Because a lower TDP is a bad thing. Also, workstations will automagically cease to exist, and you will have to prove you need the computing power you want. :confused:

Mouse Ttsports Talon Blu
Keyboard Logitech G510
哦靠

Also, workstations will automagically cease to exist, and you will have to prove you need the computing power you want

Is that before or after China calls in all debts and takes over America?

Mouse Ttsports Talon Blu
Keyboard Logitech G510
白宮到哪條路?

donno if sarcastic or actually mean it by your title of "oh really" in chinease... creepy as f*ck.

Actually, that was supposed to be a translation of "Oh S**t", and sarcasm it was. But from the things I hear, the Chinese already own large chunks of America and we owe them trillions. And yes, it's creepy. Hence the new title.

System Name m1dg3t | DeathBox | HairPi 3
Processor 3570k @ 4.0 1.15v BIOS | q9550 @ 3.77 1.325v BIOS
Motherboard Asrock z77e iTX | p5q Dlx 2301 BIOS
Cooling Custom Water | D-14 & HR-03gt | Passive HSF
Memory Samsung MV-3V4G3D 4g x 2 @ 1866 1.35v | OcZ RpR 2g x 4 @ 1067 2.2v
Video Card(s) MSi 7950 tf3 @1000 / 1350 | Asus 5870 V2 @ 900 / 1275
Storage Adata sx900 256Gb / WD 2500 HHTZ | WD 1001 FALS x 2
Display(s) BenQ gw2750hm | 46" Sharp Quatron
Case BitFenix Prodigy - m0dd3d | Antec Fusion Remote MAX
Audio Device(s) Onboard Toslink > Yamaha HTR 6290 | Xonar HDAV1.3 > Yamaha DSP z7
Power Supply Ocz mXp700w | Ocz zx850w | Cannakit 5v 2.5a
Mouse Logitech G700s | Logitech G9x - Cable Repaired
Keyboard TT Meka G1 - Black w Cherry Blacks| Logitech G11
Software Win7 Home | Xp sp3 & Vista ultimate | Raspbian
Benchmark Scores Epeen!! Who needs epeen??
This thread is about CPUs, not Chinas Capitalist takeover of the United States. :ohwell: