• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Cracks Down on Motherboard Vendors Offering Overclocking on non-Z Chipset

Do you have an Intel K-Model processor?

• Yes, and it's overclocked

Votes: 41 58.6%
  • Yes, but running stock

Votes: 8 11.4%
  • No, but mine's still overclocked (BCLK)

Votes: 8 11.4%
  • No, and I'm running stock

Votes: 13 18.6%

• Total voters
Omg wow that is just so low, and so cheap. They already charge extra for unlocked k versions. I dont think I ever want to buy Intel again

Processor Core i5-3350P @3.5GHz
Motherboard MSI Z77MA-G45 (uATX)
Cooling Stock Intel
Memory 2x4GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) |Ξ \/ G /\ GeForce GTX 670 FTW+ 4GB w/Backplate, Part Number: 04G-P4-3673-KR, ASIC 68.5%
Storage some cheap seagates and one wd green
Display(s) Dell UltraSharp U2412M
Case some cheap old eurocase, black, with integrated cheap lit lcd for basic monitoring
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply Enermax Triathlor 550W ETA550AWT bronze, non-modular, airflow audible over 300W power draw
Mouse PMSG1G
Keyboard oldschool membrane Keytronic 104 Key PS/2 (big enter, right part of right shift broken into "\" key)
I do believe you read it wrong

nah, im merely pointing that its not optimal to buy expensive z-board + expensive k-cpu only to find an overclocking limitations very soon.

i have a 100$ z-board (even supports sli, lol) + 200$ ivy bridge overclocekd +4x to 3.5ghz and im satisfied with the price / performace ratio. i cannot find any satisfactory price / performance ratio in k-haswell + z-board. its just an arrogant price hike, nothing more. if you people love inflation, its your thing, but im seeking efficiency, not a reason to boast that i have the most expensive thing there is..

cadaveca

My name is Dave
I'm sorry, but I find the complaints pretty funny. This doesn't even affect most people, and I knew this was coming, hence me having no interest in anything to do with OEMs doing this in the first place. Why anyone expected anything less, I dunno.

Processor Core i5-3350P @3.5GHz
Motherboard MSI Z77MA-G45 (uATX)
Cooling Stock Intel
Memory 2x4GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) |Ξ \/ G /\ GeForce GTX 670 FTW+ 4GB w/Backplate, Part Number: 04G-P4-3673-KR, ASIC 68.5%
Storage some cheap seagates and one wd green
Display(s) Dell UltraSharp U2412M
Case some cheap old eurocase, black, with integrated cheap lit lcd for basic monitoring
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply Enermax Triathlor 550W ETA550AWT bronze, non-modular, airflow audible over 300W power draw
Mouse PMSG1G
Keyboard oldschool membrane Keytronic 104 Key PS/2 (big enter, right part of right shift broken into "\" key)
I'm sorry, but I find the complaints pretty funny. This doesn't even affect most people, and I knew this was coming, hence me having no interest in anything to do with OEMs doing this in the first place. Why anyone expected anything less, I dunno.

well, if anyone expected generosity from intel, the expectations are gone for good. is all.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
well, if anyone expected generosity from intel, the expectations are gone for good. is all.

They are a business, and you should expect no less. They were very clear about what each platform this gen would offer, and it is only because OEM board makers did something they shouldn't have that people are upset. Why don't you blame the board makers for teasing you with stuff they should not have done? Nah, you'll follow like sheep to board maker's whims? WHUT!?!

Of course locking chipsets and such happens...has for many years. This is mainly done for quality control reasons...most chipsets, no matter who they are from, are just the same, same silicon with shit disabled. AMD or Intel doesn't matter.

It is stuff like this that is ruining the industry, actually. Some marketing people simply don't get it. I gotta bloody well quit doing reviews. Stuff like this, and people's reactions, are just ludicrous.

System Name HAL
Processor Core i9 13900k @5.8-6.1
Motherboard Z790 Arous master
Cooling EKWB Quantum Velocity V2 & (2) 360 Corsair XR7 Rads push/pull
Memory 2x 32GB (64GB) Gskill trident 6000 CL30 @28 1T
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 Gigagbyte gaming OC @ +200/1300
Storage (M2's) 2x Samsung 980 pro 2TB, 1xWD Black 2TB, 1x SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB
Display(s) 65" LG OLED 120HZ
Case Lian Li dyanmic Evo11 with distro plate
Power Supply Thermaltake 1350
Software Microsoft Windows 11 x64
The day intel locks me out of overclocking is the day I go AMD.
That is all..

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
So, who are the currently 11 people that bought "K" cpu and have it at stock speeds? :slap: :roll:

cadaveca

My name is Dave
The day intel locks me out of overclocking is the day I go AMD.

I am of the opinion that since Intel offers OC warranty, any comments anyone makes about Intel not supporting overclocking are mis-directed. Simply put, Intel DOES support OC, and that's why they have limited OC to certain platforms. Doing so allows them to ensure that you get the quality components, and the quality experience, that OC requires.

AMD doesn't warranty OC. Switching to AMD, who doesn't support OC in any fashion, just doesn't make sense. AMD might give you some options...but then tells you to never use them. :laugh: Intel says "go ahead, OC, buy the right parts, and if you don't feel comfortable with OC in that fashion, we'll also sell you an additional warranty to cover problems from OC".

THis is a pure attack at Intel by board makers, knowing that many would respond this way. And board makers have good reason to go on the offensive here, but that's not something I'll personally comment on.

System Name Sierra ~ Server
Processor Core i5-11600K ~ Core i3-12100
Motherboard Asus Prime B560M-A AC ~ MSI PRO B760M-P
Cooling CM 212 Black RGB Edition ~ Intel Stock Cooler
Memory 64GB (2x 32GB) DDR4-3600 ~ 32GB (4x 8GB) DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 6950 XT ~ EVGA GeForce GTX 970
Storage 4TB Samsung 990 Pro with Heatsink NVMe SSD ~ 2TB Kingston NV1 NVMe SSD + 500GB WD Blue SATA SSD
Display(s) 2x Dell S2721QS 4K 60Hz ~ N/A
Case Asus Prime AP201 - Open Frame Chassis
Power Supply Thermaltake GF1 850W ~ Thermaltake Smart 500W
Software Windows 11 Pro ~ Proxmox VE
Benchmark Scores Laptops: Dell Latitude E7270, Dell Latitude 14 Rugged 5420.
So, who are the currently 11 people that bought "K" cpu and have it at stock speeds? :slap: :roll:

Yes, and I'm one of them. I'm still deciding on a cooler for my i7-4770K.

System Name Sierra ~ Server
Processor Core i5-11600K ~ Core i3-12100
Motherboard Asus Prime B560M-A AC ~ MSI PRO B760M-P
Cooling CM 212 Black RGB Edition ~ Intel Stock Cooler
Memory 64GB (2x 32GB) DDR4-3600 ~ 32GB (4x 8GB) DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 6950 XT ~ EVGA GeForce GTX 970
Storage 4TB Samsung 990 Pro with Heatsink NVMe SSD ~ 2TB Kingston NV1 NVMe SSD + 500GB WD Blue SATA SSD
Display(s) 2x Dell S2721QS 4K 60Hz ~ N/A
Case Asus Prime AP201 - Open Frame Chassis
Power Supply Thermaltake GF1 850W ~ Thermaltake Smart 500W
Software Windows 11 Pro ~ Proxmox VE
Benchmark Scores Laptops: Dell Latitude E7270, Dell Latitude 14 Rugged 5420.
They are a business, and you should expect no less. They were very clear about what each platform this gen would offer, and it is only because OEM board makers did something they shouldn't have that people are upset. Why don't you blame the board makers for teasing you with stuff they should not have done? Nah, you'll follow like sheep to board maker's whims? WHUT!?!

Of course locking chipsets and such happens...has for many years. This is mainly done for quality control reasons...most chipsets, no matter who they are from, are just the same, same silicon with shit disabled. AMD or Intel doesn't matter.

It is stuff like this that is ruining the industry, actually. Some marketing people simply don't get it. I gotta bloody well quit doing reviews. Stuff like this, and people's reactions, are just ludicrous.

Thank you for being one of the first people in this thread to understand why Intel is doing what they're doing - the right thing, in my opinion.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Thank you for being one of the first people in this thread to understand why Intel is doing what they're doing - the right thing, in my opinion.

I'll say this:

I don't attend Intel Press briefings. IN fact, I have ZERO contact with Intel. I spoke to a reviewer who WAS at the Haswell Press briefing, and he complained about the lack of enthusiast focus in that meeting. I mentioned a few things, things that aren't really in the public domain, and that reviewer, said "Yes, yes, that talked about that. Yes, that too".

I really DO understand what Intel is doing. What is shocking to me that many do not, and some marketing reps are taking advantage of consumer's lack of knowledge about the subject to make them look like the good guy...when in fact, they couldn't be further form that.

When I saw news of this stuff, I seriously considered dropping doing all board reviews, and shipping boards back to the board OEMs. That was a bloody stupid move to do that, and they have simply cut their own necks with that. It's hard for me to support board vendors when they pull crap like this. I simply don't get paid enough to shut up about it, either.

andresgriego

Whatever. I've got two balls: one for intel and one for nvidia. I'll start feeling sympathy for lost profits and dictatorial practices when these crooks stop evading their taxes.

System Name Current Rig
Processor AMD 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI x670e Tomahawk wifi
Cooling Artic Freezer II 360
Memory G.Skill 32gb ddr5 6000mhz
Video Card(s) AMD 7900XTX 24 GB
Storage Samsung SSD 980 PRO 2TB
Display(s) Alienware 3420DW 120 Freesync
Case LianLi Lancool III white non-rgb
Audio Device(s) Onboard ALC
Power Supply Corsair Shift 1000W
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard Ducky Shine 5
Software Win 11 64bit
Benchmark Scores The second best!
So if you don't download the "microcode update" within a new bios update [I assume?], current board users are ok? Or will intel just mandate all future motherboards include this update through revision?

System Name DEVIL'S ABYSS
Processor i7-4790K@4.6 GHz
Motherboard Asus Z97-Deluxe
Cooling Corsair H110 (2 x 140mm)(3 x 140mm case fans)
Memory 16GB Adata XPG V2 2400MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA 780 Ti Classified
Storage Intel 750 Series 400GB (AIC), Plextor M6e 256GB (M.2), 13 TB storage
Display(s) Crossover 27QW (27"@ 2560x1440)
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Mouse Ttsports Talon Blu
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 version 1803
Benchmark Scores Passmark CPU score = 13080
I really don't see what the big deal is. If you're buying a $249-$349 processor, why buy a $68 POS motherboard to put it in? AMD isn't much better on the AM3 side since the TDP of their CPUs pretty much overwhelms the cheap boards even with just a mild OC, and many of the cheap boards like Biostar's even have BIOS limits that prevent bootup with a >95w CPU or end up throttling like the ASUS M5A97. $100 for a Z87 motherboard should be plenty affordable if the buyer is even remotely considering Intel CPUs.

I agree - even some of the Z87 boards are marginal, so why push your luck? Intel is within their rights, and maybe even ethically obligated to their customers, to enforce limitations. They don't want to be like AMD and get a reputation for shoddy hardware and buggy firmware. If the end user manages to circumvent the limitation using a custom BIOS, that's one thing, but the motherboard partners doing it is a shot across Intel's bow - they had to react, and nobody should be surprised at their reaction. So all you cheap fockers out there, spend the extra $20-$30 for the real deal and quit trying to be like an AMD customer.

System Name ICE-QUAD // ICE-CRUNCH
Processor Q6600 // 2x Xeon 5472
Memory 2GB DDR // 8GB FB-DIMM
Video Card(s) HD3850-AGP // FireGL 3400
Display(s) 2 x Samsung 204Ts = 3200x1200
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Software Windows Server 2003 R2 as a Workstation now migrated to W10 with regrets.
I'm just really pleased they didnt do this with chipset 865, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to run my AsRock s775 Q6600 with AGP HD3850 and DDR1 for the many years I did.

I understand quality control. And I'm OK with guidelines, limitations and controls BEFORE the purchase. But I don't like retrospective control beyond and after the sales through kill switches and micro code etc. that changes the product capability AFTER you bought it.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Again, this is the mobo makers fault (outside of MSI). They are the ones that exploited this known 'feature' and published it. They also knew that BEFORE motherboards were released that Intel was going to lock this down.

The blame does not lay on intel, but, Asrock, ASUS, Giga, etc for advertising something that was already known to them to be limited. See my post earlier in the thread.

D

Deleted member 24505

I have to say I am in total agreement to what cadaveca said.

The OEM's found a loop hole, and let the cat out of the bag, Intel found out and is blocking it. The OEM's should have either kept it to themselves or not done it in the first place, so stop whining about something that was pretty obviously going to be stopped.

Both Amd and Intel are no angels, so hate one, hate the other.

System Name Felix777
Processor Core i5-3570k@stock
Motherboard Biostar H61
Memory 8gb
Video Card(s) XFX RX 470
Storage WD 500GB BLK
Display(s) Acer p236h bd
Case Haf 912
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Rosewill CAPSTONE 450watt
Software Win 10 x64
I managed to overclock my i5 3470 to 4.0GHz with ease on a Z77-M Pro board that is only 99 AUD.
That board is super cheap and allows overclocking with the Z77 chipset.

Overclocking a K or non K chip should really not be done on B85 and H87 board.

In other words if you can afford a K processor then you certainly can pay for a $99 or more motherboard.

yes and no. Some people, such as myself, have a budget of say 400-600 bucks. So they get a great processor, with intentions to upgrade the mobo later on down the road. So get a cheap H board and overclock mildy to get a feel for how many volts it takes to achieve a mild oc; and then go to the max later.

I did something similar with my current build only backwards. i got a rather decent GPU, but cheap cpu but plan on upgrading this winter to a better CPU. There are reasons for such decisions, just depends on the situation.

D

Deleted member 24505

yes and no. Some people, such as myself, have a budget of say 400-600 bucks. So they get a great processor, with intentions to upgrade the mobo later on down the road. So get a cheap H board and overclock mildy to get a feel for how many volts it takes to achieve a mild oc; and then go to the max later.

I did something similar with my current build only backwards. i got a rather decent GPU, but cheap cpu but plan on upgrading this winter to a better CPU. There are reasons for such decisions, just depends on the situation.

I'm running my 560ti with a q8200 and it's fine tbh.

I see were your coming from, with the good cpu, cheap board/better board later, but apart from turb, there should really be no overclocking on a H/B board, aside from the fact the regs probs won't handle it anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
They are a business, and you should expect no less. They were very clear about what each form this gen would offer, and it is only because OEM board makers did something they shouldn't have that people are upset. Why don't you blame the board makers for teasing you with stuff they should not have done? Nah, you'll follow like sheep to board maker's whims? WHUT!?!

Whilst I fully understand your reasonable and correct stance I do dissagree with one point.
That is that board makers should be forced to abide by what is essentially mearly a Supplier stated restriction clearly not a physical one and something that's easily possible ,,thats the different some crave.

Not at dave,Some are sounding like fecking noobs on here ocin eEverything is what I like to do and ive ocd Every pc ive sat at for more than an hour wtf are you on about you shouldn't be Allowed to oc cheap shit, its still a hundred odd dollars and ive ocd thirty quidders most of the last 20 years out.

You do realise the only way its changeing is if you stop passing them your money.

Last edited:
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 1600X
Motherboard AsRock X370 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H60 Liquid Cooling
Memory 16 GB CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 3000 Mhz (Running at 2933)
Video Card(s) EVGA FTW2 GTX 1070Ti
Storage 740GB of SSDs, 7 TB's of HDDs
Display(s) LG 27UD58P-B 27” IPS 4K
Case Phanteks Enthos Pro M
Audio Device(s) Integrated
Power Supply EVGA 750 P2
Mouse Mionix Naos 8200
Keyboard G Skill Ripjaws RGB Mechanical Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
betya board makers will still have overclocking on non k chips on the lower chipsets

System Name Awesomesauce 4.3 | Laptop (MSI GE72VR 6RF Apache Pro-023)
Processor Intel Core i7-5820K 4.16GHz 1.28v/3GHz 1.05v uncore | Intel Core i7-6700HQ @ 3.1GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-X99-UD5 WiFi LGA2011-v3| Stock
Cooling Corsair H100i v2 w/ 2x EK Vardar F4-120ER + various 120/140mm case fans | Stock
Memory G.Skill RJ-4 16GB DDR4-2666 CL15 quad channel | 12GB DDR4-2133
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid SC2 11GB @ 2012/5151 boost | NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB +200/+500 + Intel 530
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 500GB + Seagate 3TB 7200RPM + others | Kingston 256GB M.2 SATA + 1TB 7200RPM
Display(s) Acer G257HU 1440p 60Hz AH-IPS 4ms | 17.3" 1920*1080 60Hz wide angle TN notebook panel
Case Fractal Design Define XL R2 | MSI
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z | Realtek with quad stereo speakers and subwoofer
Power Supply Corsair HX850i Platinum | 19.5v 180w Delta brick
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 | Windows 10 Home x64
Say, you pay $60 for a game, e.g. Battlefield 3. One month passes, and someone releases speedhacking software for free, and it gives you an unintended advantage in the game. EA/DICE issues a mandatory patch to the game that prevents said exploit some time later. Time for everyone to say "f**k EA/DICE" for removing your right to use an unintended "feature" in the game?

We're on the 4th generation i-series processors and boards, and everyone should know that H/B series is for cheap boards/prebuilts, P series is for mainstream chips without integrated graphics, Z series is the top-end mainstream chipset and X series is the enthusiast chipset. Why should we be angry about a publicized exploit of Intel's microcode being patched when everyone has known what chipset is used for what for the last few years? Why should this exploit make someone who had all the intentions to buy a Z series board all of a suddenly buy a terrible B series board instead?

I'm going to laugh if all the OEMs except MSI (smart move) have been churning out boxes, manuals and silkscreening boards with "no-Z OC" features only to have the exploit patched and now they are falsely advertising a feature that is no longer available.

This actually reminds me of the whole Phenom II/Advanced Clock Calibration fiasco that started with the 7xx chipsets. The 8xx chipsets had ACC removed, but then OEMs designed "UCC" chips for their boards that emulated the ACC function. I'm not entirely sure AMD could have stopped people from unlocking their processors via AGESA updates or not, but OEMs prevailed here.

Radeon HD 6950s were also exploited heavily since many of them could be unlocked to HD 6970s with a new BIOS and for over $100 less than a real HD 6970. OEMs then made some of their EEPROMs read-only or removed the backup EEPROM so people were SOL if they had a bad flash. AMD has locked down their GPU BIOSes even further with each card generation (starting with Overdrive limits back in the 4xxx series being signed in the BIOS) and here we are with the 7xxx series and the complete inability to change the clocks in the VGA BIOS period.

Well, from your username alone, we're sure you don't have an ax to grind, do ya?!? Oh, wait... :rolleyes:

Anyways, this gets a big yawn from me. Any serious overclocker worth his salt won't bother with non-Z chipsets anyways, and most who buy non-Z chipsets are going to the average clueless consumer/corporate environment, so no harm is done. :)

System Name msdos
Processor 8086
Motherboard mainboard
Cooling passive
Memory 640KB + 384KB extended
Video Card(s) EGA
Storage 5.25"
Display(s) 80x25
Case plastic
Audio Device(s) modchip
Power Supply 45 watts
Mouse serial
Keyboard yes
Software disk commander
Benchmark Scores still running
Who didn't see this coming...?

Yup. The instant I saw those boards ... anyone who bought that was in for future trouble.