• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Debuts Visual Identifier for Project Athena

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Intel announced that laptops verified through its innovation program, code-named "Project Athena," will feature the visual identifier "Engineered for Mobile Performance." PC manufacturers and retailers can use the identifier across promotional activities and in-store and online retail environments to draw consumers to the laptops that meet the high standards of the program's target specification and key experience indicators (KEI).

The new identifier can be found for the first time today with the new Dell XPS 13 2-in-1, one of the initial systems verified through Project Athena and now available for U.S. customers to purchase from Dell.com. Over the coming weeks, the identifier will also be visible in marketing efforts for the HP Elitebook 1040 and HP Elitebook 830, which are also among the initial laptops verified through the program. Additional laptops are expected from Acer, ASUS, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Samsung for the holiday season.

"With Project Athena, we are fundamentally changing our approach to innovation by defining the program and its methodologies through the lens of how people use their devices every day. On-the-move, ambitious people turn to their laptops across every facet of their lives - work, home, and passion projects. 'Engineered for Mobile Performance' refers to the high-quality experience consumers can expect from these laptops enabled by deep co-engineering from Intel and its partners," said Josh Newman, Intel vice president and general manager of PC Innovation Segments in the Client Computing Group.

Project Athena is Intel's ambitious innovation program aimed at delivering a new class of advanced laptops that help people to focus, to be always ready and to adapt to different roles throughout the day. With support from more than 100 partners across the ecosystem, Intel's long-term commitment with Project Athena includes ongoing research to define new experience targets and product specifications, co-engineering support, innovation path-finding and joint marketing efforts. Through broad ecosystem collaboration, the program will drive innovation across the entire PC platform to create better experiences on the laptop and help people do the things that matter most to them.

Research suggests that consumers often rely on visual signals and retail displays to inform their buying decisions. Testing of the identifier and its messaging showed that it grabbed people's attention in stores and online and indicates how the laptops are the result of engineering collaborations specifically designed for on-the-go PC experiences.

In this first year of the program, the "Engineered for Mobile Performance" identifier indicates that the laptop has been co-engineered with Intel to meet the foundational KEIs of the program.

Laptops featuring the identifier will have passed the verification process, a robust and iterative process led by Intel engineers, that includes meeting specified platform requirements and KEI targets across six innovation vectors: instant action, performance and responsiveness, intelligence, battery life, connectivity and form factor.

The identifier can be used across PC manufacturer, retailer and other online listings and product detail pages, as well as on in-store display systems, demos and packaging. For applicable 10th Gen Intel Core processor-based systems, the designation will be used in conjunction with 10th Gen Intel Core processor badges.

For highlights of the 1.0 target specification and KEIs, see the Project Athena fact sheet. More than a dozen designs from PC manufacturers are expected to be aligned with the first target specification.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
It it just me, or does that look really tacky? I mean, it looks like some 80's retro thing.
Also, I loathe stickers all over my products and this is just one more sticker that I have to try and remove...

Space Lynx

Astronaut
It it just me, or does that look really tacky? I mean, it looks like some 80's retro thing.
Also, I loathe stickers all over my products and this is just one more sticker that I have to try and remove...

"engineered for mobile performance" PROJECT ATHENA!!!!

this just screams Intel is desperate and shouting gimmicks and the only monopoly they have left (mobile high end gaming) lol, it's sad in a way, I feel kind of bad for them, but then I remember the corporate shills...

Glad to be on the red team baby! Lisa Su!!!! rock on baby!!!

System Name Personal Gaming Rig
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI X670E Carbon
Cooling MO-RA 3 420
Memory 32GB 6000MHz
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 ICHILL FROSTBITE ULTRA
Storage 4x 2TB Nvme
Display(s) Samsung G8 OLED
Case Silverstone FT04
So Intel Inside isn't enough they need another sticker on there?

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
LoL. I haven't seen so much marketing fluff since 90s infomercials and MLM bait materials.
All of this "Engineered for Mobile Performance" boils down to Intel checking the spec sheet prior to product launch and checking whether it meets its own minimal requirements (e.g. 10th gen CPU, 8GB DDR4, NVME SSD etc) and that is pretty much it.
Their language on the official Pr. Athena page is kinda vague, and Intel is never forgetting to add subsection with things like "performance is not guaranteed", "may vary from product to product", "depends on the manufacturer" etc. Basically whatever I thought was Intel's target for managing and inspection turns out to be a "small footnote exempt".
Looks like this whole thing boils down to a useless and meaningless "Visual Identifier".

It's actually quite impressive to write that many words and say absolutely nothing of substance. I wonder if people in the marketing business treat it as a game? See how many meaningless buzzwords and doublespeak you can fit in whilst maintaining a degree of legibility.

System Name Apex Raptor: Silverback
Processor Intel i9 13900KS 6.2GHz/Allcore5.9
Motherboard z790 Apex
Cooling LT720 360mm + Phanteks T30
Memory 32GB @8000MT/s CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090
Storage 990 PRO 2TB / Firecuda 530 2TB
Display(s) Neo G8 / C1 65"
Case Antec Performance 1
Audio Device(s) DT 1990 Pro / Motu M2
Power Supply Prime Ultra Titanium 1000w
Mouse Scimitar Pro
Keyboard K95 Platinum
Can't wait for project Ares or project Zeus! Who needs wisdom when you can have war and lightning!

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Mouse Logitech G603
Can't wait for project Ares or project Zeus! Who needs wisdom when you can have war and lightning!

System Name Hotbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 110/95/110, PBO +150Mhz, CO -7,-7,-20(x6),
Motherboard ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 ITX/ax
Cooling LOBO + Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM + Corsair XR5 280mm + 2x Arctic P14
Memory 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200c14 @3800c15
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell U2711 main, AOC 24P2C secondary
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Audio Device(s) Optoma Nuforce μDAC 3
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Keychron K3/Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M w/DSA profile caps
Software Windows 10 Pro
Can't say I see what the fuss is about. This is nothing different from all the other marketing programs various OEMs have run previously, perhaps most notably Intel's Ultrabook program - which also included its own sticker.

Also, no matter how much I like AMD, if I was getting a laptop in the near future it would definitely be a Project Athena one - that XPS 13 2-in-1 is pretty much my dream laptop. Thin and light, passable GPU for light gaming (think Rocket League) but still good battery, 16:10 display! (even if 3:2 would have been better), convertible with pen support, etc. If it had a ThinkPad keyboard with a trackpoint, I would be tempted to buy it even today.

I really, really hope AMD comes out swinging with its 4000-series mobile APUs - 7nm, Zen2, Navi up to ... 20 CUs? 16? More than 10, at least, and an LPDDR4X controller to match Intel's bandwidth. Until that arrives, this will be the laptop setup to get.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
And what the actual Fudge, did Intel really just release a sticker , ridiculouse.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Throwing shit at the wall hoping it stickers

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough
It's "Intel (With a sticker) Inside".

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
Project Athena is Intel's ambitious innovation program aimed at delivering a new class of advanced laptops that help people to focus, to be always ready and to adapt to different roles throughout the day. With support from more than 100 partners across the ecosystem, Intel's long-term commitment with Project Athena includes ongoing research to define new experience targets and product specifications, co-engineering support, innovation path-finding and joint marketing efforts. Through broad ecosystem collaboration, the program will drive innovation across the entire PC platform to create better experiences on the laptop and help people do the things that matter most to them.

That paragraph said absolutely nothing.

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Mouse Logitech G603
Can't say I see what the fuss is about. This is nothing different from all the other marketing programs various OEMs have run previously, perhaps most notably Intel's Ultrabook program - which also included its own sticker.
The main difference, is that all previous/similar sticker programs had a firm set of rules/qualifications written down in ink. No vague language, no double-meaning, no loopholes. That Ultrabook program you've mentioned, included not just specific standards for qualification, but also design guides and BOM for various classes of ultrabooks.

Project Athena, on the other hand, does nothing of the sort. They simply assume that all previous participants of Ultrabook program already know the rules (and will "grandfather" this into Athena), and all they have left is check the spec for upcoming products and possibly run a few tests on pre-release engineering samples, if they feel like it. Things like quality of components, properly designed PCB, endurance testing etc. is not the topic intel wants to be involved in, cause OEMs will do their own thing either way, sticker or no sticker. The only reason this program exists, is to have a label on the box which may potentially increase their mobile sales across all segments, and misinform people that any 10th gen SoC is better than any current alternatives, including their own 8th gen Core U/Y (which in reality only translates into better iGPU performance and nearly negligible CPU gains).

System Name Hotbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 110/95/110, PBO +150Mhz, CO -7,-7,-20(x6),
Motherboard ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 ITX/ax
Cooling LOBO + Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM + Corsair XR5 280mm + 2x Arctic P14
Memory 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200c14 @3800c15
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell U2711 main, AOC 24P2C secondary
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Audio Device(s) Optoma Nuforce μDAC 3
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Keychron K3/Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M w/DSA profile caps
Software Windows 10 Pro
The main difference, is that all previous/similar sticker programs had a firm set of rules/qualifications written down in ink. No vague language, no double-meaning, no loopholes. That Ultrabook program you've mentioned, included not just specific standards for qualification, but also design guides and BOM for various classes of ultrabooks.

Project Athena, on the other hand, does nothing of the sort. They simply assume that all previous participants of Ultrabook program already know the rules (and will "grandfather" this into Athena), and all they have left is check the spec for upcoming products and possibly run a few tests on pre-release engineering samples, if they feel like it. Things like quality of components, properly designed PCB, endurance testing etc. is not the topic intel wants to be involved in, cause OEMs will do their own thing either way, sticker or no sticker. The only reason this program exists, is to have a label on the box which may potentially increase their mobile sales across all segments, and misinform people that any 10th gen SoC is better than any current alternatives, including their own 8th gen Core U/Y (which in reality only translates into better iGPU performance and nearly negligible CPU gains).
Well that's nonsense.

All requirements to qualify for the Project Athena program were detailed at Anandtech two months ago. Requirements are even stricter than the Ultrabook program.

Edit: more recent details in their Ice Lake architecture article. Summing it up:
Anandtech said:
This means a lot of the following:

• Modern Connected Standby
  • Biometric Login
  • Wake from Sleep in <1 sec
  • Core i5 or better
  • >8GB DRAM in dual channel
  • >256GB NVMe SSD, or Optane
  • OpenVINO and WinML support
  • 16+ hours of video playback
  • 9+ hours of wireless web browsing
  • Charge 4+hrs in 30 mins
  • Thunderbolt 3, Wi-Fi 6, Gigabit LTE (optional)
  • 2-in-1 or Clamshell,
  • 12-15.6 inch, minimum resolution 1080p, touch display, narrow bezel on 3 sides
  • Backlit keyboard, precision touchpad, pen support

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
And what the actual Fudge, did Intel really just release a sticker , ridiculouse.

Well, they'd release hardware, but....their node is broken :laugh:. Stickers are next best thing! It adds HP to riced cars, so why not perf to laptops?

Basically, it's going to be slapped on every laptop costing, I dunno, 550+ just as an attempt to sell the crap? Another sad move.

I can picture the numerous Marketing meetings scheduled to come up with such a long and pompous sentence that does not mean anything! :D

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Is this a thread about the Athena sticker or just a free for all on Intel bashing? :slap: :roll: :roll:

Sticker or not, Intel does make it very easy for us lately

System Name Homelabs
Processor Ryzen 5900x | Ryzen 1920X
Motherboard Asus ProArt x570 Creator | AsRock X399 fatal1ty gaming
Cooling Silent Loop 2 280mm | Dark Rock Pro TR4
Memory 128GB (4x32gb) DDR4 3600Mhz | 128GB (8x16GB) DDR4 2933Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 | ASUS Strix GTX 970
Storage Optane 900p + NVMe | Optane 900p + 8TB SATA SSDs + 48TB HDDs
Display(s) Alienware AW3423dw QD-OLED | HP Omen 32 1440p
Case be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 rev 2 | be quiet! Silent Base 800
Power Supply Corsair RM750x + sleeved cables| EVGA P2 750W
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate (still has buttons on the right side, crucial as I'm a southpaw)
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Elite, Pro Type | Logitech G915 TKL
I'm excited, now when people ask me what laptop to buy, I don't have to say 8th gen quad core, 8GB RAM and an SSD but watch out sometimes there's really crappy SSDs out there and don't forget to look at battery life and weight because you'll care about that too etc.

Now I can just say, if you can afford it, anything that says Athena on it, else no idea sorry man

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
Ah, good. I was so worried we wouldn't get a proper sticker I could sleep at night. :wtf: