1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel graphics. They have come far. Where are they going?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by james888, Dec 14, 2012.

1. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith

Thanks Received:
    I dont know what to expect but i think intel has been keeping a bare minimum of sort with the tech for todays needs of people. As it stands right now AMD has a really nice solution with their own APU and it seems it is doing well.

2. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    Do you know this from experience? and the biggest problem with saying a game is laggy is there's no one specifying at what settings. source games that i've tested, L4D+TF2+CS:GO, all run as i said at med-hi settings. playable imo for anyone desperate to game but not have the money for a dedicated card. Everyone on here lives for tech and gaming, but for an avg joe that simply buys, installs, and runs a game its fine. I know plenty of gamer buddies that just press play and start a game. We hold game expectations to a higher standard and particularities.
    I didn't test any other games bc i got my GTX 560.

I'm not saying that intel's integrated is a gaming solution, but if someone wants to game just to game and have fun, not being concerned with greatest graphics and just wants to get in the zone then intel HD will work at some resolution. For a desperate gamer that's acceptable
    Did you test your HD 3000 at 1080p? as i notice that's your monitor's resolution. Did you do any testing? and in what games?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2013
  3. cheesy999

Thanks Received:
    I use my I5 Laptop for gaming, and it runs every game i've thrown at it on at least low, not too great, but good enough to get by.

They're not perfect, but compared to integrateds a few gens ago they are perfectly workable

a_ump says thanks.
  4. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    Yes i do, I tested HD 3000 and choppy at best in many games at 1080p

5. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    I tested the hd3000 at 1366x768 with only a handful of games. I was not testing persay but trying to play the games as at the time I was away from home and it was all I had. Minecraft at the lowest settings needed tiny view distance to not be choppy and get 30+fps. Need for speed world didn't do too bad on the lowest settings but not great. The original bioshock played at about 45fps on the lowest settings but seemed choppy. The original dues ex revolution played great. Quake III played great.

Crunching for Team TPU
  6. Binalo New Member

Thanks Received:
    That is just amazing thing for me. I am not much interested in such kind of techniques yet but now when i start to study about these than i realize that the technology which we are using is just a small portion of information technology. You can judge it from the chart given.
    graphic designing melbourne

Last edited: Jun 29, 2013
  7. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Intel has something AMD and NVIDIA don't: access to superior fab processes. Intel will use that advantage (of being one or two fab process generations more advanced) to drop in more execution units, and attempt to beat them in entry-level performance.

8. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    I can see Intel managing to become a menace in the mobile space when they get their 14nm process refined, I mean when the industry will be way behind in lithography they will probably dominate :/

9. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    i like the idea behind this thread, but as an avid starcraft II player i feel the need to point out that the game is almost exclusively CPU bound, and not GPU bound at low settings.

this kinda messes with the one and only example/graph in the first post.

Overall i see intel competing in the mobile/laptop market, but never really entering into the high end GPU segment.

10 Year Member at TPU
  10. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    I can put a better graph there. Which one would you suggest?

Crunching for Team TPU
  11. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    multiple :)

try and go for different genres and engines.

DX9 and DX11, FPS and RTS. vary it up.

10 Year Member at TPU
  12. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Intel has clearly already demonstrated they could with the Gen7 architecture. All they would need to do is add more sub-slices.

The thing is, Intel has never really cared for graphics and if they get involved in discreet graphics solutions, they're going to have to get into the driver business as well as deal with software developers more closely (especially games). I doubt they want to. Intel has gotten away so far with developers programming for Intel GPUs rather than Intel developing for software.

Monetarily, it doesn't make much sense anyway. Intel GMA/HD/Iris already has the largest market share for GPUs. The market for discreet cards is small by comparison and there is a lot of competition.

Intel was interested in Xeon Phi because of the chance that it could perhaps find more buyers of supplemental processor. The driver challenges killed that idea but Xeon Phi still has a market in super computing with a very distinct advantage: x86. x86 isn't an advantage in the GPU world.

My money is Intel stays away from discreet GPUs. They could, however, offer on-die GPUs that rival mid-range discreet GPUs in the future though (kind of already do with Iris Pro). I don't think they'll ever compete with high-end discreet GPUs simply because of the power/heat issues.

Crunching for Team TPU
  13. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    I was trying to keep it short and sweet. At that point I might as well just post the whole review or the link, and I already have the link there.

I think that was well said. I do wonder what intel could produce if they actually put a decent amount of time and money into making gpu's.

On a side note, its been 6 months and finally this thread is getting to where I wanted it too.

Crunching for Team TPU
  14. AlienIsGOD

AlienIsGOD

Thanks Received:
    the thing that bothers me about Intel graphics is that they stupidly put the best iGPUs on CPU that most dont use or disable. IMO they should be putting some of the better GFX on mainstream i5's and keep those GPUs off of enthusiast chips.

Crunching for Team TPU
  15. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Iris Pro in an i3 would be killer. We'll see what happens I guess.

AlienIsGOD says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  16. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    The problem with that is i3 with Iris Pro would probably run for i7 with HD 2500 prices. Most people would take the i7 because the people selling the computers have already had i7 > i3 drilled into their heads.

Remember, price is all about real estate. GPUs cost a lot of real estate, especially good GPUs.

Crunching for Team TPU
  17. LightningJR

LightningJR

Thanks Received:
    THIS^

Putting the Iris GPU on an i3 or i5 in a laptop would be great. It would give AMD some much needed competition.

I think Intel could do a great thing in the laptop market if they increase their GPU performance and improve on drivers. They already have a superior CPU so bringing a comparable GPU to the table should keep AMD on it's heels.

Intel has been doing MUCH better these past few years, their GPU performance has increased, latest DirectX support and driver improvements. They recognize AMD's APU as real competition.

18. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    Don't deny intel's maddd progress.

I found this interesting to watch
    GMA 4500 vs HD 3000 vs HD 4000

And to further show intels progress, look at these graphs
    GMA 4500, HD 1000, HD 3000
    [​IMG]
    HD 4000, HD 4600
    [​IMG]

Here's a comparison of intel's newest HD 5200.
    5200:100%
    4600:77.43%
    4000:46.82%
    Intel Iris Pro 5200, HD 4600, HD 4000

I went through all the graphics tests;totaled, got avgs, to get results of relative performance like W1z does in his.
    Screenshot of work
    [​IMG]

As you can see in a matter of 3 years(clarkdale), Intel has increased their performance roughly 4-5x over. other words 500%. That's some serious progress imo. And if you notice intel is beating Amd's APU now. only the A10-5800k, but the 6800k has the same gpu just 44mhz faster. which doesn't amount to much difference
    6800k Review 1
    6800k Review 2

Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  19. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    Intel may be beating amd in some tests but I question how much of that is cpu related.

Crunching for Team TPU
  20. Derek12

Thanks Received:

+1
    The market is headed to mobile as I can perceive.
    IMO SoC are the future specially due to the mobile trend besides they are exponentially increasing its capacities and can do gaming fairly well at lower settings, dedicated cards will die or become a niche if it isn't yet, and with the new Xbox One, Wii U and PS4, higher end gaming could be moved to consoles. Integration is the key. Math coprocessor, HD controllers, memory controller, northbridge... all fused to the CPU or chipset, GPUs are the next.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  21. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    Can it play Crysis 4?

22. DayKnight

Thanks Received:
    Can YOUR PC 'play' Crysis 4?. :rolleyes:

23. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    The problem as i see it with Intel is they do not dedicate as large of die space as AMD for on die GPU

24. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    They don't need to when they're pushing much higher clocks. I think Iris Pro 5200 clocks in at 1.3 GHz. Don't forget Intel has a large fabrication advantage.

Crunching for Team TPU
  25. Tintai

Tintai

Thanks Received:
    Now I'm using Intel HD 3000 on my i7-2600k bcs I have a problem with GPU.
    And it's nice graphic! Of course... I can't play in Assassin's Creed 3 but I can still watch my desktop or play Minecraft - even 50fps! Awesome!