• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel i225 "Foxville" 2.5GbE PHY Has a Flaw Affecting Performance, "Rocket Lake-S" 2H-2020 Production Confirmed

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Intel's i225 "Foxville" family of 2.5 Gbps wired Ethernet controllers have a design flaw that affects performance, according to an official advisory sent by Intel out to its motherboard- and OEM PC partners (notebook- and pre-built desktop manufacturers). There are no security implications of this advisory. The i225 family of 2.5 GbE chips are being extensively implemented in upcoming motherboard, desktop and notebook designs. The i225 "Foxville" family consists of the i225-V targeted at motherboards and notebooks with Intel chipsets that have integrated MAC; while the slightly pricier i225-LM has an embedded MAC, and targeted at other platforms (extensively found in high-end and upcoming AMD motherboards).

According to the advisory, there is a variance in the inter-packet gap (IPG), the interval between data packets transmitted on the physical layer. This variance can cause packet loss, resulting in reduced throughput (i.e. a performance loss). Interestingly, the IPG variance is seen only when the PHY is networked with select kinds of 2.5 GbE compliant routers and switches. Specific models of Netgear, Juniper, and AQuantia infrastructure chipsets exhibit this variance, while those by Cisco, Huawei, Buffalo, and Aruba, don't. Intel is continuing to re-evaluate the chip with more 2.5 GbE devices, and will update the list in the slide below as needed. There is no mitigation, besides manually setting the controller to work in 1 GbE mode in Intel Network Connections driver control panel. Intel is working on a new stepping of these chips, but those will come out only in the second half of 2020, aligned with "Rocket Lake-S" entering mass-production. This slide inadvertently confirms that its next-generation Core "Rocket Lake-S" processor will enter production in 2H-2020.

"Rocket Lake-S" is a 14 nm silicon that introduces up to 8 "Willow Cove" CPU cores that have higher IPC than both Skylake and Ice Lake (Sunny Cove). It is also expected to feature an updated I/O feature-set, including PCI-Express gen 4.0. This explains how many Intel LGA1200 motherboards we've seen so far feature preparation for PCIe gen 4.0. If "Rocket Lake-S" is indeed coming out before Holiday, "Comet Lake-S" could have a very brief market run spanning barely three quarters.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Ok...every piece of hardware has bugs, especially the networking ones that need to be tested for inter-operability.
As for RKL-S, they should've dropped Comet Lake entirely and spend the resources on RKL instead to bring it now on market, not in September...

TechnicallyLogic

Hold up, it doesn't say anything about release date, it specifically states "aligned w/ RKL-S production timeframe". Production starts well before the product release. Also, could you please backup this claim:
"Rocket Lake-S" is a 14 nm silicon that introduces up to 8 "Willow Cove" CPU cores that have higher IPC than both Skylake and Ice Lake (Sunny Cove).
The most recent leaks/rumors have shown RocketLake-S having a cache configuration that aligns with SunnyCove, not the upgraded cache of WillowCove.

Packetloss... not really want you want on a motherboard.
How can they put a problem like this on the market? Seems Asus is using the Intel 2.5Gb controller on their Z490 boards.
Will there be a patch or bios update for it? Slide seems to indicate that this will be fixed with a new hardware revision, means firmware probably doesn't work.
How can I check which revision of lan controller I have on my board. Does HWinfo show this?
Thanks intel seems like a big mess.. I hope TPU can check with Intel for a reaction and also test this controller to check how stable it is.

System Name 3 desktop systems: Gaming / Internet / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5 5500 / Ryzen 5 4600G / FX 6300 (12 years latter got to see how bad Bulldozer is)
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (1) / MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (2) / Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
Cooling Νoctua U12S / Segotep T4 / Snowman M-T6
Memory 16GB G.Skill RIPJAWS 3600 / 16GB G.Skill Aegis 3200 / 16GB Kingston 2400MHz (DDR3)
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 6600 + GT 710 (PhysX)/ Vega 7 integrated / Radeon RX 580
Storage NVMes, NVMes everywhere / NVMes, more NVMes / Various storage, SATA SSD mostly
Display(s) Philips 43PUS8857/12 UHD TV (120Hz, HDR, FreeSync Premium) ---- 19'' HP monitor + BlitzWolf BW-V5
Case Sharkoon Rebel 12 / Sharkoon Rebel 9 / Xigmatek Midguard
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Chieftec 850W / Silver Power 400W / Sharkoon 650W
Mouse CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Keyboard CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10 / Windows 7
Ok...every piece of hardware has bugs, especially the networking ones that need to be tested for inter-operability.
As for RKL-S, they should've dropped Comet Lake entirely and spend the resources on RKL instead to bring it now on market, not in September...
Spring is a period that OEMs announce new laptops and desktops, if I am not mistaken. Companies like Intel or AMD, will come out with new series of products, even if these new products are just rebrands.

Frankly the NIC on my 470-F strixx died too. It was a intel one. Never did weird stuff with it, was just attached to a high performance router for months, and that router was in use for like, i dont know more then 3 years or so.

I think knowing how the Atom's had a design flaw, the quality of Intel lately is just skimping out. Soooooo stupid. It's like seagate. Their design proces is made in such a way that defective devices are inevitable. And the consumer is stuck with the mess.

System Name Fractal
Processor Intel Core i5 13600K
Motherboard Asus ProArt Z790 Creator WiFi
Cooling Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 360
Memory 16GBx2 G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 DDR5 6000 CL30-40-40-96 (F5-6000J3040F16GX2-RS5K)
Video Card(s) PNY RTX A2000 6GB
Storage SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GK950F-B (34"/IPS/1440p/21:9/144Hz/FreeSync)
Case Fractal Design R6 Gunmetal Blackout w/ USB-C
Audio Device(s) Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless/Klipsch Pro-Media 2.1BT
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 850w 80+ Titanium
Mouse Logitech G700S
Keyboard Corsair K68
Software Windows 11 Pro
All the more reason to skip it and go 10Gbe. I had never even heard of any 2.5/5Gbe cards until WiFi6 hardware started rolling out.

Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Asus TUF-Gaming B550-Plus
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Memory 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon Rx 580 Nitro+ 8GB
Storage HP EX950 512GB + Samsung 970 PRO 1TB
Display(s) HP Z Display Z24i G2
Case Fractal Design Define R6 Black
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster AE-5
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME Ultra 650W Gold
Mouse Roccat Kone AIMO Remastered
Software Windows 10 x64
Seriously? After being stuck with gigabit for way longer than we should have, they screw the new controllers up this badly? Maigod...

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
Packetloss... not really want you want on a motherboard.
How can they put a problem like this on the market? Seems Asus is using the Intel 2.5Gb controller on their Z490 boards.
Will there be a patch or bios update for it? Slide seems to indicate that this will be fixed with a new hardware revision, means firmware probably doesn't work.
How can I check which revision of lan controller I have on my board. Does HWinfo show this?
Thanks intel seems like a big mess.. I hope TPU can check with Intel for a reaction and also test this controller to check how stable it is.
Almost all Gigabyte boards are Intel 2.5Gbps this time around as well...
This is almost as serious as the SATA 6Gbps controller "errata" from a few years ago...
There doesn't seem to be a way to patch this, hence the hardware fix in a new revision of the silicon.
In other words, first gen 2.5Gbps network controllers from Intel are in fact 1Gbps...

Seriously? After being stuck with gigabit for way longer than we should have, they screw the new controllers up this badly? Maigod...
Realtek's stuff works just fine...

Edit: Looks like it might already have been fixed and won't affect any shipping boards.

Last edited: