• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel i5-10210U nVidia mx 250 FPS drop issue

firstmehmet

When I playing League of legends for more than 10 mins the fps going less than 40. I have seen video games playing like battlefield (which is stronger than LOL) with mx 250 and i5 8th and 10th pcs on Youtube. I could not figure out how they play like that at 60 fps. I was really disappointed.
Even I have tried to disable nvidia gpu to use only intel gpu. I can say I got better results.://
Also, I have tried to use throttlestop however nothing change maybe I made the wrong settings. Could you help me to fix that?

Pc: Lenovo c340
CPU: i5-10210U
GPU: mx 250 2g
Ram:20G

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
Could you help me to fix that?
Post some pictures and a ThrottleStop log file. I need to see how you have this program setup.

In the Options window, set PROCHOT Offset to 3, check this box and check the Lock PROCHOT Offset option. This is a very important setting on Lenovo laptops.

firstmehmet

Post some pictures and a ThrottleStop log file. I need to see how you have this program setup.

In the Options window, set PROCHOT Offset to 3, check this box and check the Lock PROCHOT Offset option. This is a very important setting on Lenovo laptops.
How can I get the log file?

I think I got the log file in 3mins I got from 60 fps to 30.
I posted as an attachment as you want
note: I didn't set the prochot settings this screenshots with default settings
post1.png

Attachments

• post3.png
    post3.png
    111.7 KB · Views: 249
  • 2020-12-04.txt
    36 KB · Views: 88
  • post4.png
    post4.png
    130.7 KB · Views: 222
Last edited:

unclewebb

I didn't set the prochot settings

check the Lock PROCHOT Offset option
Also check the FIVR - Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits box.

Your laptop is power limit throttling. This significantly reduces performance. The 10210U has a 15W TDP rating so it should be able to run indefinitely at this power level. The log file shows that your computer is being throttled to only 7W.

If you are using some Lenovo software to manage your laptop, make sure it is set to performance. Do not set anything to cool or quiet. This software is not magic. It reduces the power limits which kills performance. The only reason your laptop is cool and quiet is because your laptop has slowed down to the point of being unusable.

If making the adjustments that I have recommended does not fix this problem, send your laptop back to Lenovo and shop elsewhere. Limiting a computer to less than half of its rated power is unacceptable. You are not getting what you paid for.

After you make the above adjustments, run another log file so I can check to see if there are any improvements.

System Name Main PC
Processor PII 925 x4 @3.724GHz (266x14) 1.525v NB 2660 1.425v
Motherboard Gigabyte AM3 GA-890XA-UD3 (790x+SB850)
Cooling Scythe Mugen 2 rev.B
Memory Hyperx 8GB (2x4) 1600@1418 8-7-7-20-27-1t
Video Card(s) GTX 680
Storage 256GB SSD / 2TB HDD
Display(s) LCD Samsung 24" 16:9
Case Cooler Master HAF 912
Audio Device(s) On-Board HD
Power Supply CM 750w GX |3.3v@25a|5v@25a|12v@60a
Software Kubuntu dual boot /Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
Benchmark Scores later...
I see your problem... you're running Windows 10 :p

Joking aside my son used to have lower fps on his laptop (Asus Ryzen 5) but not anymore ever since he keeps his laptop plugged in while gaming
Otherwise the laptop want to save the battery and throttle everything down so always plugged in your laptop when gaming never game on the battery (If that is your case?)

Mikey

Last edited:

firstmehmet

Also check the FIVR - Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits box.

Your laptop is power limit throttling. This significantly reduces performance. The 10210U has a 15W TDP rating so it should be able to run indefinitely at this power level. The log file shows that your computer is being throttled to only 7W.

If you are using some Lenovo software to manage your laptop, make sure it is set to performance. Do not set anything to cool or quiet. This software is not magic. It reduces the power limits which kills performance. The only reason your laptop is cool and quiet is because your laptop has slowed down to the point of being unusable.

If making the adjustments that I have recommended does not fix this problem, send your laptop back to Lenovo and shop elsewhere. Limiting a computer to less than half of its rated power is unacceptable. You are not getting what you paid for.

After you make the above adjustments, run another log file so I can check to see if there are any improvements.

Thank you for your interest but as far as I can I want to stop that issue otherwise I am gonna sell it.
As you said I have checked In the Options window, set PROCHOT Offset to 3, checked this box, and checked the Lock PROCHOT Offset option.
Also, checked the FIVR - Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits box.
I have sent as an attachment to the log file.
Also, do you recommend renewing thermal paste? I bought the laptop 6 months ago.

Note: Follow the log file after 15 o clock

Attachments

• 2020-12-04.txt
    490.2 KB · Views: 127

unclewebb

The changes you have made are allowing your CPU to run faster. No more power limit throttling at 7W. Did you make a change to the power profile in some Lenovo power management software or did you only make changes in ThrottleStop?

Your CPU is running much faster. It is quite capable of running beyond 15W. The problem is that your heatsink is holding you back. Long term it can handle maybe 17W. The 10210U has a 15W TDP rating so your heatsink is just a hair better than barely adequate.

Will replacing the thermal paste help? It might. Will it turn an under designed heatsink into a world beater? Probably not. Here is a picture of the heatsink in a Lenovo C930. This laptop also has a 15W CPU. Any significant sustained load and within a few seconds, thermal throttling begins.

There is just not much metal to be found in that heatsink. I have seen thicker layers of paint compared to the copper metal layer that is being used in this design. The heatsink in your laptop probably looks very similar. The best paste in the world cannot fix the real problem.

Most manufacturers are turning out similar products. Small, light and portable usually includes poor cooling and high temperatures. The ones that are not running hot are probably throttling themselves to death.

You can use ThrottleStop to set the long term turbo power limit to 15W. This will sacrifice some performance but it will help prevent constant thermal throttling. You can also reduce the turbo time limit. The Intel default is 28 seconds but no laptop has a heatsink that can keep the temps under control when a laptop is operating at a higher power limit for this length of time. Maybe drop the turbo time limit to something more realistic like 3 or 4 seconds. Play with the two power limits and the time limit and you might come up with a compromise that you are happy with.

Some laptop manufacturers hard code the power limits so you are stuck with whatever they give you. Keep that in mind when shopping. At least Lenovo has left these settings unlocked in your laptop so you have some control over things.

firstmehmet

The changes you have made are allowing your CPU to run faster. No more power limit throttling at 7W. Did you make a change to the power profile in some Lenovo power management software or did you only make changes in ThrottleStop?

Your CPU is running much faster. It is quite capable of running beyond 15W. The problem is that your heatsink is holding you back. Long term it can handle maybe 17W. The 10210U has a 15W TDP rating so your heatsink is just a hair better than barely adequate.

Will replacing the thermal paste help? It might. Will it turn an under designed heatsink into a world beater? Probably not. Here is a picture of the heatsink in a Lenovo C930. This laptop also has a 15W CPU. Any significant sustained load and within a few seconds, thermal throttling begins.

There is just not much metal to be found in that heatsink. I have seen thicker layers of paint compared to the copper metal layer that is being used in this design. The heatsink in your laptop probably looks very similar. The best paste in the world cannot fix the real problem.

Most manufacturers are turning out similar products. Small, light and portable usually includes poor cooling and high temperatures. The ones that are not running hot are probably throttling themselves to death.

You can use ThrottleStop to set the long term turbo power limit to 15W. This will sacrifice some performance but it will help prevent constant thermal throttling. You can also reduce the turbo time limit. The Intel default is 28 seconds but no laptop has a heatsink that can keep the temps under control when a laptop is operating at a higher power limit for this length of time. Maybe drop the turbo time limit to something more realistic like 3 or 4 seconds. Play with the two power limits and the time limit and you might come up with a compromise that you are happy with.

Some laptop manufacturers hard code the power limits so you are stuck with whatever they give you. Keep that in mind when shopping. At least Lenovo has left these settings unlocked in your laptop so you have some control over things.

So, I understand I cannot fix the thermal problem even If the CPU workaround 15W. However, the first 6 months when I bought the computer I had the same issue then I was disabled the Nvidia GPU to use alongside the CPU. Until nowadays everything was good I was playing at 60 fps alongside only intel CPU and integrated(Intel) GPU.
Also, When I open the task manager I just see the using percentage of GPU while I playing the lol it is about %30 however the CPU percentage was %90-%100. I just want to use more power from the Nvidia GPU but I cannot. It is very disappointing.
I believe If I use more power from GPU it will be better. Something seems wrong. The LoL is doesn't want to need more power and high efficiency. Everybody can play through any pc.
Thank you for your interest.