1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel i5-750 or i7-860

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by NinjaNife, Jun 1, 2010.

1. NinjaNife New Member

Thanks Received:
    Once again, a question not about the CPU (well, CPU compatibility/workability is important I guess lol). I just checked some other G.Skill ram (I think I will go with them for now), and found these other two:

G.SKILL PI+ Turbulence 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 ... (Kinda leaning towards this one because of the faster clock, even though the timings are slowed. It is also a bit cheaper)

G.SKILL PIS Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRA... (I believe this one has faster timings, but it is a slower clock speed. Also, what does the "2n" mean on the end of the timings in the specs? Like it says "Timing: 6-9-6-24-2N")

Would those be better/faster for my uses (gaming and OC)? Or should I stick with the stuff I was getting originally?

*EDIT*
    I was also looking at this one: G.SKILL Trident 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM D...
    I tossed that out though because the timings are slower, and the other ones come with cool fans :p

2. SystemViper

SystemViper

Thanks Received:
    House built when George Washington was Alive
  3. NinjaNife New Member

Thanks Received:
  4. SystemViper

SystemViper

Thanks Received:
    i see the i7 860 at about $270 and this is a 870 with a unlocked multi,,, so it;s a much better deal, give s you more flexibility with the unlocked multi...
    for what $30 to $50 more BAM

DISCLAIMER: thought that extra $50 off was instant, but its a rebate, "FAIL"

5. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    you can get the 875 for $299 at Microcenter. Shipped mind you.. The 875 just came out last week so it's still under "review" Tweaktown has did a good review

The PiS are one hell of a kit.

On my 750

[​IMG]

They can really do the numbers just very temperamental with timmings. Gotta play with it like a girl to get it "just right". But, Think of it this way.. DDR3 is more about the Frequency then the timmings.. Unlike ddr2 where the tighter you can get them.. The more they "scream" for ya.

6. NinjaNife New Member

Thanks Received:
    So i7-875K > i7-860.. Is this correct? By much or little? Or is the unlocked multiplier the main difference?

7. 4x4n

4x4n Xtreme Refugee

Thanks Received:
    Just saw this thread and can highly recommend the board you've chosen, one of the best I have used.

If you buy my set-up, you don't have to worry about overclocking it, it's already done.

Chip is at 4ghz and memory is at DDR3 2000. :)

Crunching for Team TPU
  8. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    the 875 is a 870 chip with Unlock Multi. The thing you gotta look at with unlock multi's is that you can get "higher oc" with "less FSB" So, your not stressing the system out as much as you would with a normal chip. So, you might be able to oc it more depending on the end system. the 750-870 can hit 4.ghz easy.. anything over that is just a plain E-pen1s type of deal. Your not going to see much difference, unless benching, after you hit 3.8ghz on these chips. Now, I haven't got a 875 yet to see.

Your just looking at a chip (875) that can do more for you with less power.. Well, that's what the "paper" work shows it should be.. Like I said, it's to "new" to really see anything going on.. Wish I knew about it being this week before spending loads on a SSD..

I am with you man. Ever since the P55/x58 MSI has really shined.. Besides the "Fuzion" board.. But, that's TOO new of a tech to really complain about.. Even the 700's and 800's series amd boards are sweet.

9. NinjaNife New Member

Thanks Received:
    I was seriously thinking about it until I thought about going with the i7 instead of the i5. I think I probably will go with this set then (links are from Newegg, but I might buy the actual parts from elsewhere):

Motherboard: MSI P55-GD80 LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherbo...

Processor: Intel Core i7-875K Lynnfield 2.93GHz 8MB L3 Cache ...

Memory: G.SKILL PIS Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRA...
    ^^Getting 2 of these for a total of 8Gb.

Everyone think this looks good? Also if anyone has any OC settings for this setup let me know (something in the area to get me started lol). Thanks for all the help.

10. SystemViper

SystemViper

Thanks Received:
    Why don't you like the fusion...?

11. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    It should be very good system for you. I don't think you'll regret that order one bet.

Only thing. 8gbs will be a little harder to oc the system with. Shouldn't be to much more, but you'll feel the difference.

It's not that I didn't like it. Just that it's "to new" of a tech, the hydra part, to really make me wanna get it. Seeing reviews and all the problems they had, just didn't feel like, to me, it was worth it.. But, then again.. If I had a chance to grab the board, I'd probably feel different about it.

12. NinjaNife New Member

Thanks Received:
    I would like to only get 4Gb, but all of my programs/games and such are set up for 8Gb (that is what I have now), and I am used to the settings. When you say that I will notice the difference, do you mean that it actually slows the computer down? Or that it is just harder to OC? Not sure what you meant.

13. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    whenever your dimms are fully occupied, all four slots, it blogs down the system making it harder to oc and keep stable due to it requiring more to keep it stable. I would suggest, if you wanted, grab just 4gbs and see if you see a difference. If so, grab the other kit and go at it. Who knows, it might not be so hard with you not wanting "so much" out of the system like more people do..

14. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    I used 4gb (2x2) then moved to 7gb (2x3 + 1gb) and there was no issue keeping the same OC I have. No bog down or anything. And yes it still runs dual channel and they are all matching sticks with one just lower capacity :D

Crunching for Team TPU
  15. NinjaNife New Member

Thanks Received:
    Parts are ordered. I only got 4Gb memory for now, and if I want more will go for 8Gb. Thanks for all the help.

16. SystemViper

SystemViper

Thanks Received:
    7gb (2x3 + 1gb)

6 gig with an oddball that is wak!

glad to hear it isn't hurting, thats good to know1:roll::toast::roll:

theonedub says thanks.
  17. Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Thanks Received:
    mid 70s outside? Where dyou live? Mercury?

18. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    Probably talking F.

theonedub says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  19. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    :laugh: I know! I got a great deal on my 3x2gb kit and I got real tired of just looking at the 2gb stick on my desk and I could really use the extra RAM in my Folding/WCG rig (P55). So when I found a 1gb stick that matched I decided to go head and try it out.

It works fine which is what I figured since I can run mismatched size DDR2 RAM in my previous netbook without an issue too :D

Thanks DD, at times we all forget TPU! is international. In the US we use F commonly for environment temps and C for computer temps (just like most others do). :toast:

Crunching for Team TPU
  20. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    Yep. Mid 70s out sounds about right to me living in Southern California :)

10 Year Member at TPU
  21. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Decrepit Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Lol, even in the UK we have had 70's outside for whole weeks already this year! He is obviously talking F and not C.

10 Year Member at TPU
  22. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    Wow i thought only the USA still used that method of temperature reading.

10 Year Member at TPU
  23. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Decrepit Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    No we still use both, a weather forecaster will always say, "today it's going to reach temeratures of 21C which is 70F" :)

10 Year Member at TPU