• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

"Intel inside" Campaign Funds Cut, Might Bring Higher Pricing to End Users

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
Intel has decided to rollback investment - read, funding - for its "Intel inside" marketing campaign, which has been with us since 1991. The "Intel inside" campaign is one where Intel has been offering OEMs and system integrators some amount of compensation and marketing funding for their Intel-based products, and is aimed at helping OEMs and channel partners drive PC sales growth. However, if CRN's report is right, Intel is looking towards cutting funding for this program by 40% to 60%.

OEMs have been including Intel's "Intel inside" funding as part of their annual marketing budgets, and the reduction of this funding from Intel can go one of two ways: manufacturers reduce marketing budget, or keep the same budget, but pass on the increased expenses towards consumers. For companies, the second option is likelier to be true, simply because marketing plays such a prominent role in company's visibility in the usually crowded markets.

"We're hearing that major cuts are coming throughout Intel's marketing and channel programs," a top executive for a major Intel partner who has been informed of the cuts told CRN. "The marketing funds have been moved to other groups within Intel that aren't channel-specific or PC-centric. The funds will now go towards driving the business in data center, giving more to the data side of the house instead of compute. A lot of dollars are moving to other areas or kept in house to improve Intel's profit and margins." Whether Intel needs this added funding to be added to its bottom line, however, is always a matter up to debate.

Intel spokespersons have confirmed this to CRN, saying that these changes are intended to "help customers more efficiently and effectively market with Intel, while helping us market with more precision in alignment with Intel's business priorities." That's all well and good, but the snarkiest among us might ask themselves whether or not this stems from the fact that some Intel products now have AMD inside as well. (Too soon?)

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Dricast
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H
Cooling Corsair A70
Memory 12GB Mushkin DDR3
Video Card(s) 2x EVGA Geforce GTX460@GTX560 Clocks in SLI
Storage SanDisk 120GB SSD, Hitatchi 1TB, Hitatchi 2TB
Display(s) Dell 24"
Case Antec 902
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair 750TX
Software Windows 7 Ultimate
Bad timing with Ryzen 2xxx on the horizon.

System Name Thought I'd be done with this by now
Processor i7 11700k 8/16
Motherboard MSI Z590 Pro Wifi
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4, 9x aigo AR12
Memory 32GB GSkill TridentZ Neo DDR4-4000 CL18-22-22-42
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 2x Geforce RTX 3070
Storage 1TB MX300 M.2 OS + Games, + cloud mostly
Display(s) Samsung 40" 4k (TV)
Case Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic EVO Black
Audio Device(s) onboard HD -> Yamaha 5.1
Power Supply EVGA 850 GQ
Mouse Logitech wireless
Keyboard same
VR HMD nah
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores no one cares anymore lols
Wat?

So intel paid for general budgetary marketing as long as it met certain parameters? That doesn't seem modern day sustainable. "Resell our products and we'll pay for your marketing" How big is the channel that uses this? How much are they paying. I mean sure it likely made Intel tons of money over the years, but now the industry is in decline while still being huge. I'm not sure Intel's getting a huge ROI out of that.

seems like it would be cheaper to provide stock marketing materials that can be customized for brand to the partners instead.

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
Intel has decided to rollback investment - read, funding - for its "Intel inside" marketing campaign, which has been with us since 1991. The "Intel inside" campaign is one where Intel has been offering OEMs and system integrators some amount of compensation and marketing funding for their Intel-based products, and is aimed at helping OEMs and channel partners drive PC sales growth.

Funny , aren't those actually the billions they paid OEMs to avoid AMD like the plague in an attempt to bury them for good ? It didn't work though , AMD is still around. It's only natural they are going to cut those "funds" after all.

Last edited:
System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Pro
Cooling Some cheap tower cooler, I dunno
Memory 32GB 1866-DDR3 ECC
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600XT
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Display(s) ASUS Pro Art 27"
Case Antec P7 Neo
Wat?

So intel paid for general budgetary marketing as long as it met certain parameters? That doesn't seem modern day sustainable. "Resell our products and we'll pay for your marketing" How big is the channel that uses this? How much are they paying. I mean sure it likely made Intel tons of money over the years, but now the industry is in decline while still being huge. I'm not sure Intel's getting a huge ROI out of that.

seems like it would be cheaper to provide stock marketing materials that can be customized for brand to the partners instead.

Yeah, any PC commercial you watch that mentions Intel and/or ends with the “Intel inside” jingle was at least partially paid for by Intel. Once you know that, you now have a really good idea of just how many PC commercials were paid in part by Intel. I imagine it will still continue even with the budget cuts, as it’s still at least a partial subsidy of the marketing.

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
Funny , aren't those the billions they paid OEMs to avoid AMD like the plague in an attempt to bury them for good ? It didn't work though , AMD is still around. It's only natural they are going to cut those "funds" after all.

It really just shows how useless, corrupt and ineffective the legal system is when it comes to big biz. Intel is STILL bribing them.

System Name Eldritch
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF X570 Pro Wifi
Cooling Satan's butthole after going to Taco Bell
Memory 64 GB G.Skill TridentZ
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 6*8TB Western Digital Blues in RAID 6, 2*512 GB Samsung 960 Pros
Display(s) Acer CB281HK
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro PH-ES614P_BK
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar DX
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750 G2
Mouse Razer Viper 8K
Software Debian Bullseye
Wow, Intel is going full-auto on their foot today.

It really just shows how useless, corrupt and ineffective the legal system is when it comes to big biz. Intel is STILL bribing them.

:slap: millennials. Joint marketing is not bribery :banghead::kookoo:

... so for Intel saving money means more expensive product?

yea that was my thought. OP doesn't comprehend how things work. If anything this helps people who buy CPUs direct....if they just dont pocket the savings ;)

... so for Intel saving money means more expensive product?
I think the point was that if Intel doesn't subsidize the Lenovo or Acer advertisement you're watching, then the money will come from you the consumer. However one would hope it evens out through Intel getting less money from OEMs (eg. reduced CPU price) so OEMs can put that towards their own advertisement. Unfortunately it will probably end up like Intel saving money on advertisement but charging OEMs the same so we'll foot the bill.

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Pro
Cooling Some cheap tower cooler, I dunno
Memory 32GB 1866-DDR3 ECC
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600XT
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Display(s) ASUS Pro Art 27"
Case Antec P7 Neo
I think the point was that if Intel doesn't subsidize the Lenovo or Acer advertisement you're watching, then the money will come from you the consumer. However one would hope it evens out through Intel getting less money from OEMs (eg. reduced CPU price) so OEMs can put that towards their own advertisement. Unfortunately it will probably end up like Intel saving money on advertisement but charging OEMs the same so we'll foot the bill.
I think Intel has far more overhead than its rivals, and this joint ad campaign was low hanging fruit to trim overhead. In other words, OEMs get no cost reductions on Intel products, so any advertising cost-sharing loss means either fewer ads, or higher PC costs.

One variable to consider is that 8th gen products saw significant performance improvements from increased core counts, so it’s possible OEMs could get by with more i3 and i5 products and recover cost savings there. It almost seems like Intel was not prepared to add cores this soon, especially since they desperately need a node shrink to keep reducing die sizes.

System Name ChoreBoy
Processor 8700k Delided
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Master
Cooling 420mm Custom Loop
Memory CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 2x8GB @ 3000Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 SC
Storage 1TB SX8200, 250GB 850 EVO, 250GB Barracuda
Display(s) Pixio PX329 and Dell E228WFP
Case Fractal R6
Audio Device(s) On-Board
Power Supply 1000w Corsair
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores A million on everything....
I like having the FX sticker on my case, it makes it look like a stock car or something, lol.... no, seriously, I do. I think intel should just "force" them to give you a cool sticker that you can put where you please.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
:slap: millennials. Joint marketing is not bribery :banghead::kookoo:

People who blame "millenials" for everything... :banghead:

It does incentivize them to include intel in their product, though "bribe" is indeed a bit harsh.