• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Montevina Platform to be Named Centrino 2

malware

Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 VID: 1.2125
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3P rev.2.0
Cooling Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme + Noctua NF-S12 Fan
Memory 4x1 GB PQI DDR2 PC2-6400
Video Card(s) Colorful iGame Radeon HD 4890 1 GB GDDR5
Storage 2x 500 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 32 MB RAID0
Display(s) BenQ G2400W 24-inch WideScreen LCD
Case Cooler Master COSMOS RC-1000 (sold), Cooler Master HAF-932 (delivered)
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic + Logitech Z-5500 Digital THX
Power Supply Chieftec CFT-1000G-DF 1kW
Software Laptop: Lenovo 3000 N200 C2DT2310/3GB/120GB/GF7300/15.4"/Razer
Intel is planning to rename its brand name for the upcoming notebook Montevina platform to Centrino 2 in order to clear up confusion for consumers, according to DigiTimes. Intel has used the brand name Centrino for four generations of its notebook platforms including Carmel, Sonoma, Napa and Santa Rosa. Although the technology and specifications have continued to improve, the unchanging brand name has left consumers unable to identify the differences, which has also lowered recognition in the market. The new marketing strategy should give consumers the feeling of a tangible upgrade and will hopefully spur demand for new laptops. Intel is set to launch the Centrino 2 platform in June this year at Computex Taipei 2008 along with six 45nm notebook CPUs, all with a 1066MHz FSB.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

jbizzler

Come on. Couldn't people figure out the subtle logo changes!

It bothers me when people say, "I have a Centrino Processor." It's not their fault. I try to explain to them that there is no actual Centrino part, but they can't seem to wrap their mind around it.

The question I have now is, will Nehalem be labeled as "Core 3" with "Centrino 3"?

Last edited by a moderator:
Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
Now you will have a centrino 2 core 2 duo? haha

I swear intel has only morons working in the dept. that names stuff.

And centrino isn't even anything. It's just what they call the whole platform. It's not even needed.

Now you will have a centrino 2 core 2 duo? haha

I swear intel has only morons working in the dept. that names stuff.

And centrino isn't even anything. It's just what they call the whole platform. It's not even needed.

Centrino is the platform name. So you simply have a "Centrino 2". Such platforms are not needed, sure, but they do ensure compatibility. Not a bad thing I would say.

Plus, I think Intel knows a lot more about marketing than you do. It was for example Intel that made every "moron" think Pentium is a synonym for PC. The Centrino name is well known, Centrino 2 sounds more than logical. It worked for Pentium as well.

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
Centrino is the platform name. So you simply have a "Centrino 2". Such platforms are not needed, sure, but they do ensure compatibility. Not a bad thing I would say.

Plus, I think Intel knows a lot more about marketing than you do. It was for example Intel that made every "moron" think Pentium is a synonym for PC. The Centrino name is well known, Centrino 2 sounds more than logical. It worked for Pentium as well.

but what's wrong with saying pentium x series or core x series?

And why use centrino when nearly EVERY laptop of theirs is practically the exact same platform?

I think they just like to make up fancy sounding names to promote their crap. It's like when you market an LCD monitor. You don't say it's just an LCD, you say it's a TFT LCD, even though all LCDs today are TFT. (lol had networking on the brain, originally put TFTP)