• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Officially Launches 9th Generation Processors Including the 8-Core / 16-Thread Core i9-9900K

Wait.....so you want to replace it with an Ultra book but you said on Friday "ill be 32 or 64 then" o_O so which is it? or you just talking more nonsense?
I've moved heavy tasks to cloud.
So yep your system is Intel no surprise there and its well average....so you really dont have much of an idea when it comes to these higher end parts then from ether camp, least we know now that yep everything you spit out is indeed just a troll post, thanks for clearing that up for is!
And again. You claim that owning a part is what makes you know it. You've used this argument before.
You don't know me. You don't know much about the experience I have with high-end PCs, HPC and stuff. Be careful in your assumptions. :)

System Name Intranetusa PC
Processor i7 2600K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asrock P67 Extreme4
Cooling Cooler Master N520
Memory 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM
Video Card(s) GTX1060
Storage Samsung SSD, Samsung 1TB Spinpoint, Hitachi 2TB
Case Cooler Master Elite
Power Supply Zalman 750watt PSU
Software Windows 7
I think they would. People have a high developed skill of installing programs they've found online.
It's also about the learning curve. You've read somewhere that Ryzen can be optimized with some tweaks. There's an app mentioned. It's quick and easy to install, but then you get bored and in the end you still don't know what XMP is.

To be honest, I've installed Nvidia drivers when I got this PC and I haven't touched them since. I don't know what the options do, I've never got through all the menus.
When I open GeForce Experience once in a while (to update the driver) there's a huge sign saying "Game optimization: Ready". I hope it makes my games run better, not turn off half of the GPU.

It seems to me that you don't know how AMD's gaming mode is activated. AMD's gaming mode isn't some default/standard setting in its normal drivers. You don't need drivers to run a cpu in the first place. AMD's Ryzen gaming mode is a setting that is only found in its special overclock/unlocking program called "AMD Ryzen Master." A person needs to go out of their way to download this special program that is completely unnecessary to Ryzen's normal operations because it's for unlocking/overclocking. That is not the same as downloading "required" graphics drivers from Nvidia to allow it to run normally. Downloading Ryzen-Master would be more comparable to you downloading an unnecessary and extraneous GPU overclocking utilities for your graphics card.

So your comparison is not analogous. Installing the necessary standard drivers that GPUs need to run and letting it run by itself is not remotely the same as going out of your way to install special extraneous drivers for overclocking/unlocking that you don't need in the first place and switching then on a special mode in the settings.

I don't "claim". I know such people. Just like I know dozens of people that use Excel, but don't know how it works. Or even more specialized things: databases, scientific scripting (like R) and so on.
That's the great thing about abstraction. You can use something and it makes your life easier, but you don't have to know how it works. But this concept needs to be well implemented.
Do you think "game mode" is a good name for something that ruins gaming performance?

1) Your analogy misses the point. Nobody needs to download special programs to run Excel. However, if you download special programs to change Excel's basic functions, then yes, people would generally need to read the instruction manuals to figure out how it works.

Just like nobody needs to download any software to run AMD's Ryzen CPU. You just install the CPU and it runs without any special software. However, if you download a special overclocking/unlocking program that is completely extraneous and unnecessary to its normal operations, then it makes logical sense to read the instruction manual first.

To Summarize:

Run the Excel program normally = you don't need any special add ons and you don't need to read the manual
Run special extraneous programs to change the functionality of Excel = You need to READ the damn manual

Run Ryzen CPU normally = you don't need any special drivers and you don't need to read the manual
Download special extraneous programs intended for overclocking/unlocking = You need to READ the damn manual

2) The gaming mode is a part of an extra program that is unnecessary for normal functionality and is specifically intended for Threadripper CPUs as stated in the instructions. It boosts gaming performance of Threadrippers and thus works as intended. it's an extra program that people don't need in the first place, and it doesn't ruin gaming performance when it's used properly.

Man, why are you so paranoid about it?
8700K was Intel's answer to 1800X. 9900K is an answer for 2700X.Do you really want to be the person who runs around praising AMD superiority, because there's a half year gap between release dates?

Furthermore, 1800X is just 1.5 year old and still available. It's not like I compared to Bulldozer.

I am not being "paranoid." I am simply pointing out your logical inconsistency of using a completely irrelevant CPU to talk about AMD's performance. The articles and benchmarks relevant to this thread never once talked about the 1800X. They were all talking about the 2700X. You went out of your way to bring up an irrelevant older CPU for no legitimate reason - other than maybe just trying to make a point about how AMD is bad in gaming?

The 8700K's true competitor is the 2700X in terms of BOTH price and performance. That's why the PT benchmarks and Techspot & Techpowerup's articles were all comparing the 8700k with the 2700X.

Furthermore, your claim that we should be comparing the 8700K with the 1800X because the 8700K was the answer the 1800X makes no sense, because the 1800X was also an answer to the 7700k. Does that mean we should use your logic and make it a comparison between the 1800X and 7700k? Then instead of being 50% pointless, we are at 100% pointless. Just stick to the actual CPUs relevant to the discussion on hand and don't veer off topic with a CPU nobody even discussed.

Last edited:
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64
Of all the ways to troll someone, I never would've thought to attack their skill level based on system specs of their main rig.

Some days, I use an old dual core i3 ultrabook thing. I must be stupid... :confused:

fabtech

The 9900K will stomp everything in the mainstream, many cores/threads and excellent clocks. The problem is that it will reach in EU 600€ or close to that.

It will not be easy to recommend when a 2700X costs basically half and although it´s not the best CPU in absolute performance, it offers more than enough performance for most people.

I think the i9 will end up being a niche CPU, the sales champion should be the 9700K, now also with 8 cores (but lacking HT). I'm curious to see how it will behave compared to the 6C/12T of the 8700K.

In Europe, all retailers sell it at 700€ !!! just overpriced. This CPU is not worth its price. Already for less than 550€ price you get a R7 2700+MB+DDR4 16GB...
9900K+MB Z390 = R7 2700+MB B450+DDR4 16GB+GTX1070Ti...

*Prices are in Euros.

Last edited:
System Name Chaos
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Asus Strix B550
Cooling 6x 140mm + 360 mm Strix AIO
Memory 32Gb Corsair ddr4 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Powercolor RX 6900 XT Red Devil
Storage ADATA SX8200 + kingston savage 240 gb ssd x2 + 1tb toshiba 7200
Display(s) AOC 32 inch Freesync monitor
Case Game Max Silent Black
Audio Device(s) HD Onboard
Power Supply Corsair CP-9020094-UK RM1000x 1000 W 80 Plus Gold Certified
Mouse corsair harpoon gaming mouse
Keyboard BlackWeb wired gaming keyboard
Software Windows 11 x64
so this is on 14 nm ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ? :roll:

System Name Ciel
Processor AMD Ryzen R5 5600X
Motherboard Asus Tuf Gaming B550 Plus
Cooling ID-Cooling 224-XT Basic
Memory 2x 16GB Kingston Fury 3600MHz@3933MHz
Video Card(s) Gainward Ghost 3060 Ti 8GB + Sapphire Pulse RX 6600 8GB
Storage NVMe Kingston KC3000 2TB + NVMe Toshiba KBG40ZNT256G + HDD WD 4TB
Display(s) Gigabyte G27Q + AOC 19'
Case Cougar MX410 Mesh-G
Audio Device(s) Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Core 7.1 Wireless PC
Power Supply Aerocool KCAS-500W
Mouse Logitech G203
Keyboard VSG Alnilam
Software Windows 11 x64
In Europe, all retailers sell it at 700€ !!! just overpriced. This CPU is not worth its price. Already for less than 550€ price you get a R7 2700+MB+DDR4 16GB...
9900K+MB Z390 = R7 2700+MB B450+DDR4 16GB+GTX1070Ti...

*Prices are in Euros.
And that's not even like here on Argentina. There are only two processors you can buy that are not overpriced, the G4560 and the R3 1200, even the A8 9600 and R3 2200G are overpriced here. Don't even ask about an i5 8400.

System Name Night Rider | Mini LAN PC | Workhorse
Processor AMD R7 5800X3D | Ryzen 1600X | i7 970
Motherboard MSi AM4 Pro Carbon | GA- | Gigabyte EX58-UD5
Cooling Noctua U9S Twin Fan| Stock Cooler, Copper Core)| Big shairkan B
Memory 2x8GB DDR4 G.Skill Ripjaws 3600MHz| 2x8GB Corsair 3000 | 6x2GB DDR3 1300 Corsair
Video Card(s) MSI AMD 6750XT | 6500XT | MSI RX 580 8GB
Storage 1TB WD Black NVME / 250GB SSD /2TB WD Black | 500GB SSD WD, 2x1TB, 1x750 | WD 500 SSD/Seagate 320
Display(s) LG 27" 1440P| Samsung 20" S20C300L/DELL 15" | 22" DELL/19"DELL
Case LIAN LI PC-18 | Mini ATX Case (custom) | Atrix C4 9001
Audio Device(s) Onboard | Onbaord | Onboard
Power Supply Silverstone 850 | Silverstone Mini 450W | Corsair CX-750
Mouse Coolermaster Pro | Rapoo V900 | Gigabyte 6850X
Keyboard MAX Keyboard Nighthawk X8 | Creative Fatal1ty eluminx | Some POS Logitech
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 | Windows 10 Pro 64 | Windows 7 Pro 64/Windows 10 Home
And again. You claim that owning a part is what makes you know it. You've used this argument before.
You don't know me. You don't know much about the experience I have with high-end PCs, HPC and stuff. Be careful in your assumptions. :)

I havent used that argument before, stop making up stories to suit your self and well if I actually own or have used said hardware then it puts me clearly ahead of you and your so call said knowledge thats for sure!.

Your right I dont know you but I know enough that tells me that you clearly have no real idea of high end hardware thats for sure.

On a side note, I just spotted the 9900K and lesser CPU's from this new lineup from intel for sale here in Australia for $859 for the 9900K, more then double the price in which I paid for my 2700x, eeeek!

I havent used that argument before, stop making up stories to suit your self and well if I actually own or have used said hardware then it puts me clearly ahead of you and your so call said knowledge thats for sure!.
Having owned or used a hardware gives you knowledge about what in particular?
There are many aspects of knowing a CPU. You might know how to install it, how to use it efficiently, how it works (on many abstraction levels)...

I own a carrot. The fact of owning it doesn't really give me any knowledge. I already know how it tastes from a restaurant. I know how to cook it from a cookbook. And I know how it works (at some level at least) from a biology course.
Owning a carrot only means one of 2 things:
1) I could afford it and, based on my knowledge, I decided that buying it is a good, rational choice (and economist would say: it increases my utility => classical economics),
2) I could afford it and I bought it because of some irrational factors - like because everyone else has a powerful CPU and I thought I need it too (=> behavioural economics).
Your right I dont know you but I know enough that tells me that you clearly have no real idea of high end hardware thats for sure.
What's "high-end hardware"? An i9? That's high-end consumer hardware, at most.
What kind of knowledge do I lack? I know how to install it. I know how to run programs on it. And I know some other things as well, which aren't that relevant for gaming.
What more do you know about an i9?

If a person A knows more about cooking than person B, it's likely he'll make a healthier or tastier food out of the same ingredients.
Do you think that if we had and identical PC setup, your knowledge (whatever it is) would let you get better performance?

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
Please stay on topic. No retaliatory comments or insulting others.
If you wish to discuss who knows what... or, cooking, take to PMs.

So you'd be okay with AMD coming out with results of a 2700x with 3466 tweaked timed ram against a 9900k with the slowest bone stock 2133 RAM? You think this is how every CPU should be reviewed? The worst case against the best case? Do you understand how absurd that is?
Considering the price difference between the two chips it could make good sense, although not with the 2133 extreme (since 2400 speed RAM can be found for the same price). The extra cost of the RAM (Samsung B side, such as 3200 14) would help to offset the difference in price between the chips. It's probably more than fair to Intel to compare a 2700X running 3200 14 with an Intel running 2666. The Ryzen may be still cheaper, even with the better RAM.

Furthermore, it's common knowledge that Ryzen's fabric benefits from the speed of RAM, making RAM speed more important for Ryzen than for Intel. Zen didn't debut yesterday. Anyone who knows anything about enthusiast-level tech knows that Ryzen requires 3200 speed RAM at minimum, preferably with tight enough timings.

When reviewers pair Ryzen with slow RAM and do brain-damaged things like apply a game mode designed for TR to an 8 core Ryzen (hobbling it to be a quad core), it's a red flag to anyone who knows anything about the platform. Professionals have to be held to a higher standard than casual readers, casual readers who know better than to do such things. Joel Hruska had the 1800X with 3200 speed RAM on day one of Zen's release. He did the testing properly, unlike Anandtech and such, which gimped Ryzen with slow RAM. This latest Intel-paid testing is even more absurd, with the way it was "accidentally" set to cut the number of active Ryzen cores in half on an 8 core, not a TR.

Haha. GLHF. Just check US, German, UK Amazon CPU top20 CPU-s. I hope Intel gets a substantional blow. Saying this with a 4570 Haswell.

las

System Name Obsolete / Waiting for Zen 5 or Arrow Lake
Processor i9-9900K @ 5.2 GHz @ 1.35v / No AVX Offset
Motherboard AsRock Z390 Taichi
Cooling Custom Water
Memory 32GB G.Skill @ 4000/CL15
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX 4090 Phantom / Undervolt + OC
Storage Samsung 990 Pro 2TB + WD SN850X 1TB + 64TB NAS/Server
Display(s) 27" 1440p IPS @ 280 Hz + 77" QD-OLED @ 144 Hz VRR
Case Fractal Design Meshify C
Audio Device(s) Asus Essence STX / Upgraded Op-Amps
Power Supply Corsair RM1000x / Native 12VHPWR
Mouse Logitech G Pro Wireless Superlight
Keyboard Corsair K60 Pro / MX Low Profile Speed
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
For the price of one of these you could get a 12 core threadripper.

Why on earth would I want that... Haha

I use my homerig for high fps gaming, in combination with a 1440p/165 Hz monitor, there's no way in hell I'd want a threadripper or ryzen for this. Even 8600K would be better.