• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel-only Spoiler vulnerability disclosed. Tech press response: 'crickets'

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64
Then where are all the infected people?

I dealt with one not too long ago I suspect was using Spectre in some way (there may be a thread here about the whole process). But it was a pretty isolated case with an extremely sick PC. And I think the Spectre could've been happening on an ARM router as well (there was some hardcore privilege escalation going on in both places that would've required exploits beyond just the kernel).

By the way, this was being done completely remotely. and that still amazes me. I can't believe the lack of followup.

Last edited:
System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
Purposefully? Yeah right. Talk about scare-mongering. :kookoo::rolleyes:
Right. Because Intel has them all in their pockets? I guess this (tech sites unwilling to call them out) is why we have rarely seen this problem reported. :rolleyes:

Exactly. Yet home users are the ones being targeted (intentionally or not) by all this scare-mongering. :(
If that data is at such risk from these vulnerabilities, where are all the breaches that have been attributed to these flaws?

It is possible a drunk can hop the curb, knock down a tree, drive across three lawns and run into my front porch. Does that mean standing on my front porch imposes a considerable amount of risk and therefore, I should move? I could happen. We even had a drunk flip her car in front of my house before.

Just because very serious vulnerabilities exist, that does not mean they are easy to exploit - even if being targeted by clever badguys. It would be extremely difficult for any bad guy to exploit these Intel vulnerabilities even in a data center - if for no other reason, they have to gain access to the CPU. It would almost have to be an inside job. Possible? Yes. Likely? No.

If you research all the major data center breaches, I bet you will find each and every one was due to human error/negligence. The Equifax one for example. The vulnerability was discovered months before the hack. The software developers even developed and distributed the necessary patch - Equifax IT people had it! But what happened? The system administrators never applied it and the information and security executives failed in their duties to secure and protect the data. Heck, all that stored personal data wasn't even encrypted! :mad::banghead: How stupid was that?

LOL Good thing I got rid of the wife then - and just to make sure with the girlfriend, got the snip snip procedure done too! :D

So you are willing to assume Intel didn't know their own chips architecture and no one, not a single person knew that it could pose a security threat to allow unfiltered access to the hardware?

The sheer number of corporate users still running XP on C2D chips running software that requires it is what scares people, not grandma saving pictures, but business handling thousands of users information, credit info, and much else. The issue is Intel has, had, and designed it knowing this might happen for the increase in single threaded performance with the flop of P4.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
I dealt with one not too long ago I suspect was using Spectre in some way (there may be a thread here about the whole process). But it was a pretty isolated case with an extremely sick PC. And I think the Spectre could've been happening on an ARM router as well
So one extremely sick computer that you "suspect" was using spectre "in some way", and one "ARM" (which isn't even Intel) router that you "think" had the Spectre on it is proof of widespread infections when there are 100s of millions of Intel based computers out there?

Come people - . Crossing the street with the green light and in a crosswalk after looking both ways can still get you run over. So do you stop crossing the street?

So you are willing to assume Intel didn't know
I never said anything of the sort! Why are you twisting words around. I never ever said Intel didn't know.

YOU said, "Intel purposefully used flawed security to increase the performance ... while AMD didn't." You said that. I did not make that up or twist your words around! That's you making all kinds of assumptions AND accusations of wrong doings with no proof of either of those claims.
The sheer number of corporate users still running XP on C2D chips running software that requires it is what scares people
The number of people still using XP scares me too. Users using operating systems that are unsafe, obsolete, superseded many times over, becoming true threats to everyone else is hardly the point! Rather, it is simply more scare mongering. :(

Again, we really need to be putting this into perspective - not perpetuating the exaggerations and FUD.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
So one extremely sick computer that you "suspect" was using spectre "in some way", and one "ARM" (which isn't even Intel) router that you "think" had the Spectre on it is proof of widespread infections when there are 100s of millions of Intel based computers out there?

Come people - . Crossing the street with the green light and in a crosswalk after looking both ways can still get you run over. So do you stop crossing the street?

I never said anything of the sort! Why are you twisting words around. I never ever said Intel didn't know.

YOU said, "Intel purposefully used flawed security to increase the performance ... while AMD didn't." You said that. I did not make that up or twist your words around! That's you making all kinds of assumptions AND accusations of wrong doings with no proof of either of those claims.
The number of people still using XP scares me too. Users using operating systems that are unsafe, obsolete, superseded many times over, becoming true threats to everyone else is hardly the point! Rather, it is simply more scare mongering. :(

Again, we really need to be putting this into perspective - not perpetuating the exaggerations and FUD.
Spoken like an intel share holder no less.

This is a forum of discussion , i didn't tie any of these lapses in security together or suggest they were.

I mearly tried to point out that many long term security issues DO already exist, despite many not knowing about them.

Some we may here about in a few years.

And that NoOne , not you, not Intel , Microsoft ,Amd or any IT professional knows for sure what attack vectors are in use or being stacked.

So the ideology that a hacker Needs access is FUD

They might have had access for 18 years.(via chrome or winrar for example)

My pc is in no danger , i appreciate im not a target, directly but my card details are, and I don't control any of the IT equipment i tend to have to type card details into.

Shit over here most shops have a free serve ATM running Xp in the corner.

Last edited:
System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
I never said anything of the sort! Why are you twisting words around.

The same question can be posed back to you. Most are not suggesting to stop using Intel. Most are just saying that this IS a problem and should be concerning just not concerning in the way that some are proclaiming.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
I do own some Intel. I also own some AMD.
And that NoOne , not you, not Intel , Microsoft ,Amd or any IT professional knows for sure what attack vectors are in use or being stacked.
Exactly!

The same question can be posed back to you.
And what's the question? I say, yes we still cross the street. What I don't think is right is assuming Intel is purposely doing wrong. What I don't think is right is trying to tie unrelated software program flaws to these hardware flaws. That's like saying a flaw in the software of GM trucks means there must be a problem with Ford engines. :kookoo:

And what I don't like is the suggestion the threat is HUGE when it really isn't even though it affects many processors. We have to keep it in perspective or we become part of the misinformation problem.

Edit comment: fixed typos.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 158293

So we find that Intel purposefully used flawed security to increase the performance of CPUs while AMD didn't.

Not many tech sites are willing to call out the biggest CPU manufacturing company for mistakes they made to get ahead of their competition when many of those chips were praised for their performance.

At the end of the day it's a risk that most people would take without caring, so doesn't really matter? Not until it does.

The best hacks never get noticed, only the worst hack blunders make the news.

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600@80W
Motherboard MSI B550 Tomahawk
Cooling ZALMAN CNPS9X OPTIMA
Memory 2*8GB PATRIOT PVS416G400C9K@3733MT_C16
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 6750 XT Pulse 12GB
Storage Sandisk SSD 128GB, Kingston A2000 NVMe 1TB, Samsung F1 1TB, WD Black 10TB
Display(s) AOC 27G2U/BK IPS 144Hz
Case SHARKOON M25-W 7.1 BLACK
Audio Device(s) Realtek 7.1 onboard
Power Supply Seasonic Core GC 500W
Mouse Sharkoon SHARK Force Black
Keyboard Trust GXT280
Software Win 7 Ultimate 64bit/Win 10 pro 64bit/Manjaro Linux
Where do you think those hackers got millions of data and codes from? They just took advantage of those exploits the server and cloud PCs have in their CPUs. So, it doesn;t matter if we aren't personally under big security risk when running CPUs that have exploit, but the danger is mostly in our data being stolen from servers owned either by big enterprises or goverments and their services. Very immature responses here sadly...

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
Where do you think those hackers got millions of data and codes from? They just took advantage of those exploits the server and cloud PCs have in their CPUs. So, it doesn;t matter if we aren't personally under big security risk when running CPUs that have exploit, but the danger is mostly in our data being stolen from servers owned either by big enterprises or goverments and their services. Very immature responses here sadly...

Uh no... Most data breaches are because of humans letting bad guys into systems they should not be let into. Nothing to do with CPU vulnerabilities...

Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk ATX
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition
Memory VENGEANCE LPX 2 x 16GB DDR4-3600 C18 OCed 3800
Video Card(s) XFX Speedster SWFT309 AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT CORE Gaming
Storage 970 EVO NVMe M.2 500 GB, 870 QVO 1 TB
Display(s) Samsung 28” 4K monitor
Case Phantek Eclipse P400S (PH-EC416PS)
Audio Device(s) EVGA NU Audio
Power Supply EVGA 850 BQ
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 310
Keyboard Logitech G G413 Silver
Software Windows 10 Professional 64-bit v22H2
AMD's response to Spoiler:

"We are aware of the report of a new security exploit called SPOILER which can gain access to partial address information during load operations. We believe that our products are not susceptible to this issue because of our unique processor architecture. The SPOILER exploit can gain access to partial address information above address bit 11 during load operations. We believe that our products are not susceptible to this issue because AMD processors do not use partial address matches above address bit 11 when resolving load conflicts."

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-240

System Name AlderLake / Laptop
Processor Intel i7 12700K P-Cores @ 5Ghz / Intel i3 7100U
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master / HP 83A3 (U3E1)
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans / Fan
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MHz CL36 / 8GB DDR4 HyperX CL13
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio / Intel HD620
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2 / Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD
Display(s) 23.8" Dell S2417DG 165Hz G-Sync 1440p / 14" 1080p IPS Glossy
Case Be quiet! Silent Base 600 - Window / HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W / Powerbrick
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Laser wireless / Logitech M330 wireless
Keyboard RAPOO E9270P Black 5GHz wireless / HP backlit
Software Windows 11 / Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock
"An Intel spokesperson told us after publication that it hopes applications can be built in future to defend against SPOILER attacks, or hardware protections can be deployed:

Intel received notice of this research, and we expect that software can be protected against such issues by employing side channel safe development practices. This includes avoiding control flows that are dependent on the data of interest. We likewise expect that DRAM modules mitigated against Rowhammer style attacks remain protected. Protecting our customers and their data continues to be a critical priority for us and we appreciate the efforts of the security community for their ongoing research.
"

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/03/05/spoiler_intel_processor_flaw/

Gonna chime in and offer 2 cents. What I've read up on this seems to indicate clarification is needed.
1) Has existed since Core Duo.
Actually it seems that it started with the last iteration of the Pentium4/PentiumD, however not truly important point.
2) Has been used in the wild already.
As in actual attacks? That can not be found/verified.
3) Can't be patched with software (unless, apparently, if you're talking about a massive slowdown).
This has yet to be determined. I'm betting it can. But who's going too? See below..

This seems very similar to the Spectre & Meltdown types of problems and are similarly difficult to exploit remotely. So difficult that one would effectively need physical access to the system in question to accomplish an attack. The general public need not worry. It's the governments and big business' that need be concerned. However simple precautions strictly implemented is all that will be needed to prevent a data breach via this attack vector. Interestingly, those are the same precautions needed to avoid Spectre & Meltdown, so anyone already guarding against those are all set.

Last edited:
System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Cooling Water
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
And what I don't like is the suggestion the threat is HUGE when it really isn't even though it affects many processors.

It affects nearly every processor in data centers globally. You know, the ones that will actually be targeted.

hat I don't think is right is trying to tie unrelated software program flaws to these hardware flaws. That's like saying a flaw in the software of GM trucks means there must be a problem with Ford engines.

Not at all and you know that. It is akin to saying there is a software problem in GM's ECM that will cause GM engines to explode.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
So difficult that one would effectively need physical access to the system in question to accomplish an attack.
Exactly! That's why I said above, it likely would have to be an inside job. And the bad guys would just need physical access to the computer, but access into the computer.

And while patching the actual flaw may not possible (we are talking about hardware here), I bet the ability to exploit the vulnerabilities is possible, either in the OS, anti-malware solutions, motherboard BIOS, all three, or a combination of those three.

I also agree there is no evidence it has been used out in the wild yet - and I note yesterday's Tom's article does not say it's been used in the wild either, as the OP suggested.
It affects nearly every processor in data centers globally. You know, the ones that will actually be targeted.
So what? Just because something is targeted, that does not mean it will, or can be be exploited. The information this CPU flaw potentially exposes is not something a badguy can get "just by" :rolleyes: hacking the data center and then scouring the drives. He has to hack the individual computer. How likely is that?

Ah but then again, simple precautions properly implemented.
It is akin to saying there is a software problem in GM's ECM that will cause GM engines to explode.
That is not a great analogy.

Exactly! That's why I said above
I beg your pardon, must have missed it. Sorry about that.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
I beg your pardon, must have missed it. Sorry about that.
NO! No apology necessary. I appreciate the reiteration for it appears many missed, or just ignored that very important fact.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED

You asked, I answered. I don't really disagree with your claims, just was saying if you are a valuable enough target all bets tend to be off. But we knew that. Comes with the turf.

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
So we find that Intel purposefully used flawed security to increase the performance of CPUs while AMD didn't.

The real question is why was it that AMD basically got more or less the same level of IPC out of their designs without these vulnerabilities and Intel couldn't.

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Cooling Water
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
All I see is more cheap Xeons. :D

Sadly there isnt much normal boards that would take it.

The real question is why was it that AMD basically got more or less the same level of IPC out of their designs without these vulnerabilities and Intel couldn't.

They probably could, but its most likely cheaper to make it way they do.

You asked, I answered. I don't really disagree with your claims, just was saying if you are a valuable enough target all bets tend to be off. But we knew that. Comes with the turf.
And the real thing is, if you're a valuable enough target, anyone with physical access is going to use easier methods to obtain their objectives.

It is akin to saying there is a software problem in GM's ECM that will cause GM engines to explode.
No...it is not. That's akin to saying nobody would have to do anything(as in initiate a purposeful attack to try and get your data), but your data will be automatically transferred to someone else anyway(without anyone intending it to be). Which is not going to happen.

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Cooling Water
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
No...it is not. That's akin to saying nobody would have to do anything(as in initiate a purposeful attack to try and get your data), but your data will be automatically transferred to someone else anyway(without anyone intending it to be). Which is not going to happen.

I know but the first comparison was:

That's like saying a flaw in the software of GM trucks means there must be a problem with Ford engines.

which is not even close to what this is like.

Ah but then again, simple precautions properly implemented.

Which you have no control over. These exploits are used to jump the boundaries of virtualization. All it takes is someone else's virtualized server to be used to pilfer data out of yours.

Also, I am well enough aware that this is not easy. However, there are plenty enough KNOWN actors that can pull this off with 'relative' ease. There are an unknown number of unknowns...imagine that.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
And the real thing is, if you're a valuable enough target, anyone with physical access is going to use easier methods to obtain their objectives.

If they can get it, yeah, certainly.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
which is not even close to what this is like.
LOL That's because you were not following the thread and therefore my analogy flew right by you.

For those following, they could easily see (especially since I quoted the comment :rolleyes:) where mine tied back to the previous claim about WinRAR and Chrome flaws. Those are (1) software flaws and (2) in software NOT made by Intel. Which of course was the point. The Intel processor flaw is not related to any software flaw, let alone software made by a different company.

Yet you tried to claim the Intel problem was like "GM" software causing "GM" engines (hardware) to explode. See the difference? Since software, and in particular, Intel software is NOT causing Intel hardware to fail, your analogy makes no sense in this scenario.

If they can get it, yeah, certainly.
Yeah, like walk out the door with the computer (and hopefully not get noticed). Or sit down at the computer (when nobody is looking) and install a keylogger on the computer and a nearby transmitting device to send those keystrokes out to the bad guy parked, unnoticed, in the back alley.

Again, yes, it is a serious flaw. Can it be exploited? Yes. Easily? Not at all.

Does this analogy better relate:

You have a safe deposit box at your bank. You keep a big wad of cash, jewels and important papers in the box. Like most safe deposit boxes, your box takes two keys to open; one a bank officer has and must use, and the other you keep in your possession. Unbeknownst to you, your lock is broken and any key or even a screwdriver can turn your lock.

Is that a serious flaw? Absolutely.
Can it be exploited? Yes.

How?

Well a badguy has to gain access to the bank itself, without triggering any alarms or showing up on any security cameras,​
Then he has to crack open (again without triggering any alarms) and gain entry into the safe where the safe deposit boxes are located,​
He has to locate your box among 100s or more boxes (assuming he knows the number on your box),​
Then he has to somehow unlock the bank officer's lock on your box,​
Then he has to unlock your lock and remove your valuables.​
Sound easy? Not to me.​
But that's not all.​
Because this hacker... err... bank robber doesn't want anyone to know the computer... err... bank as been hacked... err... robbed, he has to close and lock your box, close and lock the safe, exit and lock the bank doors - all without triggering any alarms or being noticed.​
Finally, he has to make a clean getaway.​

Piece of cake, right?