• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Optane H20 + AMD B550 MB = WTF

System Name Work Computer | Unfinished Computer
Processor Core i7-6700 | Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Dell Q170 | Gigabyte Aorus Elite Wi-Fi
Cooling A fan? | Truly Custom Loop
Memory 4x4GB Crucial 2133 C17 | 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB 3600 C26
Video Card(s) Dell Radeon R7 450 | RTX 2080 Ti FE
Storage Crucial BX500 2TB | TBD
Display(s) 3x LG QHD 32" GSM5B96 | TBD
Case Dell | Heavily Modified Phanteks P400
Power Supply Dell TFX Non-standard | EVGA BQ 650W
Mouse Monster No-Name $7 Gaming Mouse| TBD
So I am building a system with a Ryzen 5 3600, in a AsRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4/ac motherboard. The NVMe drive I was planning on using for boot is an Intel Optane H20 drive (essentially a 760p with a 32gb Optane module). It is not being viewed correctly by my Windows 10 install media. The SSD side is 512gb, but the drive is showing up as 27gb. I can only imagine it is viewing the Optane flash instead of the NAND flash as the drive. Is there any way to force or fix this?

Last edited:
So I am building a system with a Ryzen 5 3600, in a AsRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4/ac motherboard. The NVMe drive I was planning on using for boot is an Intel Optane H20 drive (essentially a 760p with a 32gb Optane module). It is not being viewed correctly by my Windows 10 install media. The SSD side is 512gb, but the drive is showing up as 27gb. I can only imagine it is viewing the Optane flash instead of the NAND flash as the drive. Is there any way to force or fix this?
So I plan on cloning Windows 10 to it on another computer which does recognize the correct side of it. However, I am not sure if it will work as the SSD part of the system does not seem to be visible even to BIOS.

Of course it is viewing the drive as Optane first. Anytime you blend multiple flash drives on the same module, you need to have a native driver to sort-out the mess!

DRAM caching works seamlessly because it' s local to the drive, and assumed to be volatile. -- BY COMPARISON, your OPTANE Shit Sandwich (TM) has two different layers that must be managed after power loss.

Why not just buy any other flash drive? The performance of that tiny 32GB flash cache is not any faster than DRAM, once exhausted

Last edited:
H20 is just updated H10, isn't it? I assume so.
It combines two separate NVMe devices on one PCB. It relies on host platform's capability to bifurcate one x4 PCIe link into two x2 links.
Without the split, only one device will be accessible. Most often it is SSD, but a different thing happens on AMD systems for some reason. Worth a read -> this

Give it a try via adapter in second x16 slot.

Keullo-e

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X up to 5.05GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite
Cooling Custom loop (CPU+GPU, 240 & 120 rads)
Memory 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury @ DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6700 XT Fighter OC/UV
Storage ~4TB SSD + 6TB HDD
Display(s) Acer 27" 4K120 IPS + Lenovo 32" 4K60 IPS
Case Corsair 4000D Airflow White
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis remastered at 4K
Does Optane even work with AMD platform?

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
Buy 16 more GB or RAM and make a RAM drive.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Does Optane even work with AMD platform?
I believe it does if you have one of the drives with the Optane drive and SSD on one unit like OP. However, it can be tricky.

Personally, Optane accelerating an NVMe SSD is one of the most useless things ever. It makes exactly 0 noticeable difference in real world use compared to a good NVMe drive. I'd say this is why Intel killed Optane for the consumer market.

It's nice for caching for a HDD, but that is basically all I'd use it for. And even then, if you want a SSD cache for a HDD, get a larger SSD and use PrimoCache to set up a cache for the HDD. Optane in the consumer market was worth it when it first came out, but SSDs evolved so fast Optane became useless in the consumer space very quickly.

I don't disagree that optane is a shit sandwich, the only reason I had one is from another computer that I was planning on replacing, which it was not using. According to Intel's website, on non-supported systems it should see a 512gb PCIe x2 drive, but it is seeing a 32gb drive instead. I will try to check on the bifurcation though.

I believe it does if you have one of the drives with the Optane drive and SSD on one unit like OP. However, it can be tricky.

Personally, Optane accelerating an NVMe SSD is one of the most useless things ever. It makes exactly 0 noticeable difference in real world use compared to a good NVMe drive. I'd say this is why Intel killed Optane for the consumer market.

It's nice for caching for a HDD, but that is basically all I'd use it for. And even then, if you want a SSD cache for a HDD, get a larger SSD and use PrimoCache to set up a cache for the HDD. Optane in the consumer market was worth it when it first came out, but SSDs evolved so fast Optane became useless in the consumer space very quickly.

I think the "Optane Memory" branded devices should have had the option of extending memory like on server and Memory Drive tech. If you paid like $400 extra, then you get the Memory Drive software, which allowed using part of the space to extend as slow RAM. Way better than running out of RAM entirely and much better than hitting pagefiles on SSDs. Unless you get ridiculously over capacity memory it almost goes into page file. In fact programs are designed for it.

I don't disagree that optane is a shit sandwich, the only reason I had one is from another computer that I was planning on replacing, which it was not using. According to Intel's website, on non-supported systems it should see a 512gb PCIe x2 drive, but it is seeing a 32gb drive instead. I will try to check on the bifurcation though.

Optane on PCI Express should have always been a temporary thing. Optane on DIMMs should be a long term goal. Open it up and make it fully DDR5 compatible, so it can run on all systems, not just Intel systems that needs to support Optane.

I've read of comments that say they should have made a proper single controller and use Optane to replace DRAM on SSDs. DRAM isn't used to cache user-space data on SSDs, which means replacing with Optane ends up being slower so you need DRAM anyway. So rather than Optane + DRAM + Optane controller + DRAM controller + NAND, you end up with Optane + DRAM + Controller + NAND. With Intel out of the SSD controller part, no option of in-house controllers now.

I think the "Optane Memory" branded devices should have had the option of extending memory like on server and Memory Drive tech. If you paid like $400 extra, then you get the Memory Drive software, which allowed using part of the space to extend as slow RAM. Way better than running out of RAM entirely and much better than hitting pagefiles on SSDs. Unless you get ridiculously over capacity memory it almost goes into page file. In fact programs are designed for it.

Optane on PCI Express should have always been a temporary thing. Optane on DIMMs should be a long term goal. Open it up and make it fully DDR5 compatible, so it can run on all systems, not just Intel systems that needs to support Optane.

I've read of comments that say they should have made a proper single controller and use Optane to replace DRAM on SSDs. DRAM isn't used to cache user-space data on SSDs, which means replacing with Optane ends up being slower so you need DRAM anyway. So rather than Optane + DRAM + Optane controller + DRAM controller + NAND, you end up with Optane + DRAM + Controller + NAND. With Intel out of the SSD controller part, no option of in-house controllers now.
Yes and no, the Optane/NAND drives worked like StoreMI, but fast and faster rather than fast and slow. A good idea and a good way to decrease the cost of fast storage, but the bifurcated bus really hurt sequential speeds, and drastically reduced compatibility.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64

Except the Memory Drive software was shown to really be nothing better than just putting your page file right on the Optane SSD. That's why it failed, people realized they were paying $400 for a gimmick.

vivalaizec

Hi bro, i have the same problem as you, would u share how to solve it? Thanks

Hi bro, i have the same problem as you, would u share how to solve it? Thanks
If you can find out if the M.2 slot supports bifurcation, go for it. If it doesn't, I reckon there is not hope. Anyway, my fix was to pick up a cheap M.2 off of Newegg and use the Optane in a Intel lappy.

Where did you get the Optane?

System Name Core
Processor Intel 12700k @ 5.0/4.0
Motherboard ASRock z690 Steel Legend
Cooling Artic Cooling Freezer 420 AiO
Memory GSkill 64GB 3200 cas 14 b die
Video Card(s) Asus Nvidia RTX 4070 Super OC
Storage Optane 900p x2, SK Hynix p41 Pro
Display(s) ACER 250hz 1080p 25" IPS display
Case Phanteks p500a with all Noctua Chromax/Arctic fans
Audio Device(s) Focusrite interface, Presonus Studio Monitors and Subwoofer
Power Supply Seasonic 850w plat with cable mod cables
Mouse Glorious Model O
Keyboard Corsair mech k65
Software Win 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores 3dmark TimeSpy 20240-rtx 3090FE/12700k/Optane 3dmark TimeSpy 21862-rtx 4070Super/12700k/Optane
You can't run Optane memory on AMD. It needs firmware and software to work. You can run Optane drives however, they work with everything.

You can't run Optane memory on AMD. It needs firmware and software to work. You can run Optane drives however, they work with everything.
What I was trying was the Optane H10 drive, it was supposed to show the QLC NAND part to the host system as it was not a "acceleration compatible" system. The issue was, it was showing only the 3DXPoint side and I wanted to use it for a boot drive. It wasn't supposed to show it at all, but the bifurcated bus played hell with that idea.