• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel owners who have switched to AMD

System Name Arctic Ryzen
Processor AMD 7-3800X
Motherboard MSI Tomahawk X570 WiFI
Cooling Deepcool Captain 240EX
Memory XPG Gammix 32gb 3200mhz CL16
Video Card(s) Nvidia Geforce GTX1650
Storage 4 - 4 TB Internal hd, Samsung 1tb SSD, External 5 tb (add 1 tb XPG NVME)
Display(s) ACER 32
Case Coolermaster 932 HAF
Audio Device(s) internal
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Trackman
Keyboard MS wireless
Software Home 10
Benchmark Scores [url=https://valid.x86.fr/2ypqj4][img]https://valid.x86.fr/cache/banner/2ypqj4-6.png[/img][/url]
I switched over from an i7-2600k, 32gb Ram. There was nothing wrong with the system it was getting noticeable slow with PS, Premiere. Switched over the a Ryzen7 3800X with a MSI x570 Tomahawk. The system is way better and programs run smoother, even with16 GB Ram.

I would have to say tho, the biggest difference are the M2 drives. Before I could go get coffee, and make breakfast and computer was still booting. Now, I turn power on and bingo, up and running in few seconds.

Reason I went Ryzen was simply, for me, cost/benefit. Got really good deal on parts. and honestly, Intel/Ryzen - which is faster, etc. for my needs I am not into gaming so a few micro seconds does not really make much of a difference.

The Ryzen does run a heck of a lot cooler with my AIO than my older INTEL did on air. So that is a bonus.

jsf67

I recently built a computer for myself from parts and chose the Ryzen 7 3800X 8-Core 3.89GHz. Over many computers I built and/or selected for myself, for relatives, and/or for work, this is the first time in decades that I selected AMD. I think the way I use a computer increases the significance of CPU cache size (compared to more typical uses). The price performance advantage of this AMD was even higher for cache size than the probable price performance advantage in less understandable comparison factors (that I tried and failed to research). I haven't had a decent speed computer for such a long time before this that I have no meaningful comparison. So I'm happy so far as I know with this CPU choice, but I wouldn't really know.
I also chose an MSI Gaming Radeon RX 5500 XT after almost all my previous experience was Nvidia. I'm unhappy and trying to decide whether these issues are worth the trouble/cost of buying something else without black friday discounts and returning this. It is also hard to figure out which parts to blame. Some of the faults clearly belong to my new Acer displays, because I can compare across computers/displays. Other faults (most faults overall) seem to be display driver bugs, but some of those could actually be issues with the new Acer monitors, and some could be Windows 10 bugs and some could be display card defects. It can be very hard to sort out which part is at fault.
I'm using four 2560x1440 displays together as one big desktop. One minor fault example is that maximizing a window on one display shows trash on the bottom of the display above it (while setting the window to exactly the same size and position as maximized but not set as maximized, does not have the same problem). Lots of comments on the same problem online say it is a Windows 10 bug. But I had one display above another on a few different Windows 10 computers (including a super slow one I still own and retested). I never saw this problem before. All those other systems were Nvidia, so I conclude Radeon driver bug.

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
Processor 7800X3D┃5800X3D
Motherboard B650E PG-ITX┃X570 Impact
Cooling NH-U12A + T30┃AXP120-x67
Memory 64GB 6000CL30┃32GB 3600CL14
Video Card(s) RTX 4070 Ti Eagle┃RTX A2000
Storage 8TB of SSDs┃1TB SN550
Display(s) 43" QN90B / 32" M32Q / 27" S2721DGF
Case Caselabs S3┃Lazer3D HT5
Power Supply Corsair HX1000┃HDPlex
@freeagent I think you can ask a mod to open up the first post and title for you to edit indefinitely.

Despite you having already built your PC people are going to keep chiming in here without reading any of it :laugh:

That is, only if you want to keep it as your personal build thread.

freeagent

Staff member
Processor AMD R9 5900X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Thermalright Aqua Elite 360 V3 1x TL-B12, 2x TL-C12 Pro, 2x TL K12
Memory 2x8 G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3200C14, 2x8GB G.Skill Trident Z Black and White 3200 C14
Video Card(s) Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC
Storage WD SN850 1TB, SN850X 2TB, Asus Hyper M.2, 2x SN770 1TB
Display(s) LG 50UP7100
Case Fractal Torrent Compact RGB
Audio Device(s) JBL 2.1 Deep Bass
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 750w G+, Monster HDP1800
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Logitech G213
VR HMD Oculus 3
Software Yes
Benchmark Scores Yes
I'd be surprised if they didn't work together considering they're identical kits other than the heatsink (that's assuming they have the same pcb layout). F4-3200C14D-16GTZKW is a pretty old model so it may have A0 or A2 depending on whether it's new or old production. I run the same kit in my rig, works great.
Nice man, I hope they work too to be honest.. they probably will.. but like you said they are a bit older. I mean 3200 CL14 isnt terrible.. if I cant get them to run Ill be happy until a GPU upgrade or maybe another NVME.. If they do run nicely well I guess I will have to get my boys some different ram :laugh:

@freeagent I think you can ask a mod to open up the first post and title for you to edit indefinitely.

Despite you having already built your PC people are going to keep chiming in here without reading any of it :laugh:

That is, only if you want to keep it as your personal build thread.
Indeed, that's a good idea! I didn't know that could be done..

System Name The Captain (2.0)
Processor Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E AORUS Master
Cooling 280mm Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 4x Be Quiet! 140mm Silent Wings 4 (1x exhaust 3x intake)
Memory 32GB (2x16) G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo (6000Mhz)
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3070 SUPRIM X
Storage 1x Crucial MX500 500GB SSD; 1x Crucial MX500 500GB M.2 SSD; 1x WD Blue HDD, 1x Crucial P5 Plus
Display(s) Aorus CV27F 27" 1080p 165Hz
Case Phanteks Evolv X (Anthracite Gray)
Power Supply Corsair RMx (2021) 1000W 80-Plus Gold
Mouse Varies based on mood/task; is currently Razer Basilisk V3 Pro or Razer Cobra Pro
Keyboard Varies based on mood; currently Razer Blackwidow V4 75% and Hyper X Alloy 65
@freeagent -- ah! There are others like me who overthink parts for a build! I don't feel so alone now :D

At the beginning of this year, I was wanting to upgrade my 1st gen Ryzen build to a 3000 series, and slap in a 5700 XT. Ended up buying a 3600 and the first of two motherboards, the Crosshair VIII Hero. For reasons I'm still trying to figure out to this day, I couldn't get the damn thing to display a picture everytime I fired it up, so that meant I couldn't even get into the BIOS, as I couldn't see anything. Just a black screen, even though things were clearly running. Long story short, the issue persisted on the 2nd board (returned the Hero and used the Amazon gift balance), the X570 AORUS Master. Anyway, after literally spending months -- about half the year -- trying to get my rig up and running with no luck, I made the tough call to forgo Ryzen and switched to Intel, the 10700K paired with a GTX 1660 Super.

And ya know what? Call me crazy (wouldn't be the first time I've heard it) but damn it, I miss Ryzen! My first-ever DIY rig was based around the FX "Faildozer" series, so in a sense I have a soft spot in my heart for AMD, I guess. To put it in the oft-used car terms, the switch to Intel, for me, is like a life long Ford owner having to switch to driving a Chevy, for whatever reason. Know what I mean? I can almost hear my dad, who WAS a life-long Ford lover/driver, right now: "Why'd you get THAT for?" :roll:

I guess what I'm trying to say is, it IS possible to be unhappy with something like the 10700K for the simple fact that it doesn't "feel right" to you. Desperation, however, makes you do things you wouldn't normally do. I dunno...maybe I really am THAT weird, lol.

freeagent

Staff member
Processor AMD R9 5900X
Memory 2x8 G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3200C14, 2x8GB G.Skill Trident Z Black and White 3200 C14
Display(s) LG 50UP7100
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Logitech G213
VR HMD Oculus 3
Software Yes
Benchmark Scores Yes
I do tend to overthink things occasionally.. my mom and my wife bug me at times lol :D

Aww sorry to hear you had a lot of trouble! Almost sounds like a GPU thing, had something like that with an old GTX 295.. some kind of weird compatibility thing. I almost feel guilty for saying this but.. it almost feels like an Intel system, but without the ease of overclocking, oh an the familiarity.. I'm genuinely surprised. I haven't even had a bluescreen yet.. oh wait yeah I did. My fault though. This thing has shut off on me a couple of times, but I was running the memory too fast and tight, so my fault again.

I don't think your crazy, building a frustration box is no fun. Intel is usually pretty good right out of the box, borderline boring even.. I like your analogy because I am a Chevy guy who will probably never buy another Chevy lol. Junk.

Well, if you ever have a change of heart, I could recommend the board I am using right now. Its not that fancy, but it seems to be pretty good. I hear you on the desperation front. One weekend I bought an AMD 4200 to clock, I already had a 4400 but these were supposed to be good clockers. I lost my Asus board and my Abit board that weekend, just got the Abit back from RMA.. so pissed. That was the weekend I moved to Intel lol with an E6300 and a P5B Deluxe Wi-Fi. Haven't looked back till now!

freeagent

Staff member
Processor AMD R9 5900X
Display(s) LG 50UP7100
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Logitech G213
VR HMD Oculus 3
Software Yes
Benchmark Scores Yes
Well, my ram arrived about 9 days late, better than never I reckon.. Anywhoo, its B-Die like my Royals, but they cant run nearly as tight. I have them paired up right now and can run tight 14-14-14-34 1T @ 1600, but after that gotta loosen up a bit. Those Royals can do 1900 14-15-15-35 1T 1.45v. Those Black and Whites prefer things slightly looser. To be fair, I have not run them on their own yet, so I am not sure what they can do. I saw a review on them on OCF and looks like they can do well over 4K with looser timings. Woomack is awesome. In TB they show as pretty much the same sticks, the only outside of the model number is the B+W have a 6 where the Gold has a 4. Science! YA!

Both pairs are currently running @ 1900 16-15-15-36 1T 1.45v

1.PNG
2.PNG

Edit:

I had to get in the bios to tweak a bit since latency took a bit of a hit with 4 sticks.. I managed to get it stable with all four sticks at 1800 14-15-15-35 1T 1.4v with the latency I had before.. could still use some fine tuning but for now its great. Still waiting on my mount for my cooler. Thinking about just buying a cooler.. but.. well see.

Last edited:

freeagent

Staff member
Processor AMD R9 5900X
Display(s) LG 50UP7100
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Logitech G213
VR HMD Oculus 3
Software Yes
Benchmark Scores Yes
Well, I haven't gotten the mount for my cooler yet. I ordered it on the sixth.. Amazon will give it till the ninth and I can ask for my money back. So... gotta say this thing is pretty boring lol. It’s pretty strong.. but man what a snooze fest. I haven’t tried to push the CPU yet because this cooler is stretched pretty thin even with a bunch of cfm from my Meshify. Not sure what to do without my Le Grand Macho lol. I played with the ram a little.. can run 1900 1:1 but I’m a chicken and didn’t give more than 1.45v on the stix. I haven’t played with cpu clocking other than pbo. Overall I’m still pretty impressed with it. It’s a solid platform I think. I wanted a Vermeer but probably won’t be getting one for a bit.. I also want a new gpu but looks like that won’t be happening for a bit too. I did order a 1TB SN750 last night. I was so torn between the speed of a 500gb SN850 and the space of the 1tb SN750. The TB was cheaper. Oh well. I could always stuff it in a pcie adapter later.. but I guess that’s enough rambling for now..

Edit:

Well maybe its not a snooze fest.. 115x was a snooze fest lol. At least with this I can dig in and play.

Last edited: