• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel recalls Pentium 4 chips

Those who recently purchased a P4EE 3.73Ghz with the batchnumber 3502A770 can send it back to Intel for a full refund due to a problem with the heatsink. Apparantly there is nothing wrong with the processor itself. This should only affect about 100 processors, so the odds that you have one are pretty low. It's unclear why they don't just replace the heatsinks.

Source...

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Dell XPS 15 9560
Processor I7-7700HQ
Memory 32GB DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1050/1080 Ti
Storage 1TB SSD
Display(s) 2x Dell P2715Q/4k Internal
Case Razer Core
Audio Device(s) Creative E5/Objective 2 Amp/Senn HD650
Mouse Logitech Proteus Core
Keyboard Logitech G910
heatsink incapable of handling the CPU = high temps = damaged CPU = cannot replace only the heatsink

GG intel.

Darksaber

Senior Editor & Case Reviewer
Staff member
System Name Meshlicious Monster
Processor Intel Core i5-10600T
Motherboard MSI Z490I Unify
Cooling NZXT Kraken Z53 with 2x Noctua Redux 1300 RPM PWM fans
Memory ADATA 16 GB 3200 Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3070 Gaming X Trio
Storage TeamGroup 1TB NVMe SSD
Display(s) Asus ProArt 27" 1440P, 75Hz
Case ssupd Meshlicious with mesh side panels
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion 660 W Platinum ATX
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RGB Pro Wireless
Keyboard Microsoft Sidewinder X4 Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Home
true *G* Retail CPUs must be used with the included heatsink, otherwise you will get problems with the 3yr warranty (is it 3 years?). I am sure those people will be ticked off...first one spends so much money on the CPU, instead of buying that used car you wanted to get you to places *G*...and then you have to return it to Intel. Ouch.

cheers
Vahid

AMDCam

Processor AMD Opteron 148 at (hope) 3.0ghz
Motherboard MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum with Nforce 3 Ultra
Cooling XP-90C (CPU), A400 (Graphics), 8 case fans, 92mm Tornado
Memory 2gb OCZ Gold DDR500 dual-channel
Video Card(s) Leadtek 6800GT near UEE speed (448core/1.18memory)
Storage 2x 80gb WD 7,200rpm 8mb cache Caviar SATA 150 in RAID 0
Display(s) (2 soon) Samsung Syncmaster 172N 17" LCD
Case Atrix black case with A LOT of mods
Audio Device(s) Motherboard
Power Supply Aspire 520w tri-fan blue LEDs
Software Windows XP Home, Office 2003 Professional Edition
How dare Intel. I'm sorry, that's yet another reason I hate Intel. They're pure idiots. Don't complicate processors by giving a "series" instead of a clockspeed. Also, if they lead in clockrates, why make new series of processors with lower clockspeeds? You're not AMD. Also, for that refund, only 100 people, and most people probably bought a better heatsink to solve the problem anyway and still don't know what the problem is, plus most people don't even no about the refund, then why is intel just issuing a full refund? It's not worth it! Give those 100 people your newest processor, or maybe a replacement and a refund. No though, Intel has to cheapskate their way out.

spectre440

Processor Athlon 64 x2 4000+ (65nm Brisbane)
Motherboard Abit AN-M2 (AM2) nForce 630a
Cooling Stock everything (for the time being), 2x120mm fans (intake & exhaust)
Memory 2GB (2x1024) OCZ Platinum PC2-6400 (4-4-4-15, 2T)
Video Card(s) PowerColor ATI HD 2600XT 256mb GDDR4 PCI-e
Storage Hitachi Deskstar 160GB SATA 3.0G/s, External USB2.0 WD 160GB
Display(s) LG 17' LCD (L1753TR)
Case HEC-Compucase 6A, black & grey
Audio Device(s) On-Board 7.1 (realtek)
Power Supply Spire Zeno 650W
Software WinXP Pro SP2 (32-bit, for the time being)
AMDCam said:
How dare Intel. I'm sorry, that's yet another reason I hate Intel. They're pure idiots. Don't complicate processors by giving a "series" instead of a clockspeed. Also, if they lead in clockrates, why make new series of processors with lower clockspeeds? You're not AMD. Also, for that refund, only 100 people, and most people probably bought a better heatsink to solve the problem anyway and still don't know what the problem is, plus most people don't even no about the refund, then why is intel just issuing a full refund? It's not worth it! Give those 100 people your newest processor, or maybe a replacement and a refund. No though, Intel has to cheapskate their way out.
i'm with you, dude.
i'm also an AMD man.

been using amd chips since i got a k5. :)

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
Maybe some ES got mixed in with that batch of EE and they want the chip back ... later for the HSF

AMDCam said:

A: If you claim Intel copies AMD with the series/rating you're flaming AMD even more, they stole the idea from cyrix (M1+M2) they even use the same +, how original.
B: Even though it's only 100 or so CPU's Intel admits the error. Last time thunderbirds burnt due to the lack of thermal protection AMD didn't do a thing about it. Saying "the customer bought a new sink so let's not give any support" would be the AMD way.
C: They refund what you paid for it, so you can buy a new one yourself. In fact, it costs them more to refund rather than to replace. They're refunding the profit of the retailers, transport etc as well.
D: Yes I'm an Intel man.

thiscloudnow

ouch...i can feel the burn :p

but i like amd though! hoohaa :cool:

AMDCam

Processor AMD Opteron 148 at (hope) 3.0ghz
Motherboard MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum with Nforce 3 Ultra
Cooling XP-90C (CPU), A400 (Graphics), 8 case fans, 92mm Tornado
Memory 2gb OCZ Gold DDR500 dual-channel
Video Card(s) Leadtek 6800GT near UEE speed (448core/1.18memory)
Storage 2x 80gb WD 7,200rpm 8mb cache Caviar SATA 150 in RAID 0
Display(s) (2 soon) Samsung Syncmaster 172N 17" LCD
Case Atrix black case with A LOT of mods
Audio Device(s) Motherboard
Power Supply Aspire 520w tri-fan blue LEDs
Software Windows XP Home, Office 2003 Professional Edition
Wow, well I can counter your T-bird statement, but the rest I guess....good job on proving me wrong or stating your own opinion. I don't know if you are saying a batch of T-birds had bad thermal protection, but my computer was on for 4 years 24 hours a day, every day of the year, and even the bridge fans stopped spinning, and it used the stock heatsink, it never had 1 error or gave me 1 problem, EVER. And I pushed that system, with the newest games (played CS: Source with an 8500 and that processor), and p2p programs with virusses all day, and whenever the screensaver ran my antivirus scanned the computer. So thermal problems were never a problem with T-birds, at least not the one I had

System Name Dell XPS 15 9560
Processor I7-7700HQ
Memory 32GB DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1050/1080 Ti
Storage 1TB SSD
Display(s) 2x Dell P2715Q/4k Internal
Case Razer Core
Audio Device(s) Creative E5/Objective 2 Amp/Senn HD650
Mouse Logitech Proteus Core
Keyboard Logitech G910
AMDCam said:
Wow, well I can counter your T-bird statement, but the rest I guess....good job on proving me wrong or stating your own opinion. I don't know if you are saying a batch of T-birds had bad thermal protection, but my computer was on for 4 years 24 hours a day, every day of the year, and even the bridge fans stopped spinning, and it used the stock heatsink, it never had 1 error or gave me 1 problem, EVER. And I pushed that system, with the newest games (played CS: Source with an 8500 and that processor), and p2p programs with virusses all day, and whenever the screensaver ran my antivirus scanned the computer. So thermal problems were never a problem with T-birds, at least not the one I had

For the most part, dan is right...

T-birds were hyped up to have all kinds of thermal issues, but its usually the people that never had one flaming them for such obscene thermal issues. I had one too, and it ran just fine with the stock heatsink for its lifespan. Yes, it ran really hot, but it didn't have any iddues with that. ;)

spectre440

Processor Athlon 64 x2 4000+ (65nm Brisbane)
Motherboard Abit AN-M2 (AM2) nForce 630a
Cooling Stock everything (for the time being), 2x120mm fans (intake & exhaust)
Memory 2GB (2x1024) OCZ Platinum PC2-6400 (4-4-4-15, 2T)
Video Card(s) PowerColor ATI HD 2600XT 256mb GDDR4 PCI-e
Storage Hitachi Deskstar 160GB SATA 3.0G/s, External USB2.0 WD 160GB
Display(s) LG 17' LCD (L1753TR)
Case HEC-Compucase 6A, black & grey
Audio Device(s) On-Board 7.1 (realtek)
Power Supply Spire Zeno 650W
Software WinXP Pro SP2 (32-bit, for the time being)
my previos CPU was a t-bird, that ran perfectly fine for about 4 years that i've had it, and now its still running perfectly one some other dude's system, to whom i sold it off after i got this new system of mine.

at least i hope it is...
it was a good cpu... i liked it... :)