• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Said to be Considering Laying Off Thousands of Staff

System Name Legion
Processor i7-12700KF
Motherboard Asus Z690-Plus TUF Gaming WiFi D5
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer 2 240mm AIO
Memory PNY MAKO DDR5-6000 C36-36-36-76
Video Card(s) PowerColor Hellhound 6700 XT 12GB
Storage WD SN770 512GB m.2, Samsung 980 Pro m.2 2TB
Display(s) Acer K272HUL 1440p / 34" MSI MAG341CQ 3440x1440
Case Montech Air X
Power Supply Corsair CX750M
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 25
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys
Software Lots
Not to diminish Lisa Su's amazing technical leadership (Zen onwards is freaking amazing), but I'd argue it was Rory Read who turned the company around with some very difficult decisions in 2011 to 2014.

Rory Read bet the company on Zen, cutting the popular Bobcat cores division, killing other popular projects, and stabilizing the company's finances. Lisa Su took what remained of AMD and executed extremely gracefully (leading to Zen2, Zen3, Zen4 under her leadership).

The "fixing" of AMD started in 2011. It took damn near a whole decade to turn the company around with two CEOs doing everything they could. I think Intel has the cash reserves to make this happen with good leadership, but lets not pretend that this process can be completed in just a few short years... Intel's technical decisions look much better today than before, but there's still fundamental culture issues seemingly at play here.

Very good points and all true from what I've seen.

The problem with looking at any one quarter or even year over year for any chip fab or design company, is that it takes 5 years to design a chip and 4 years to build a fab.

There are just too many factors including macroeconomic and social ones, to predict where either AMD or Intel is headed.

As you say, many look at Su and think Zen, but Su actually was far more involved with the APU / console devices both before she became CEO and in her first couple of years after. She pushed that area hard, to get the Sony / Xbox wins, to keep AMD alive. When she talks about it, you can tell that is hers and she views it as core.

Zen though was started by a different group, before she became CEO.

As CEO her main success revolves around chiplets, which increased margins and yields, and the APU / console business.

Xilinx is hers too, and her next big bet. Zen 4 and 5 were probably started under her as CEO as well.

Cowardly CEO's...always taking the path of least resistance when it comes to keeping those quarterly earnings coming in for the parasite corporate shareholders.
Well they're more greedy SoB's than cowardly IMO, why don't they cut the flab at middle/upper management instead of firing the plebs? But hey why do you need to pay more at all when you can just fire them at will :nutkick:
but there are also way, way too many middle management overlaps at every level, as well as way, way too many upper level execs who make way,
Yeah that guy at the top I bet he could cover salaries of at least 1000 other entry level employees, if you also count his performance linked bonuses!
Gotta love the "free market"...at the first inkling of quarterly profits missing their mark
Free markets & trickle down economics has always been BS of the worst quality! I'm astonished how so many people fell for this very obvious con by the ones in power :shadedshu:

Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
Free markets & trickle down economics has always been BS of the worst quality! I'm astonished how so many people fell for this very obvious con by the ones in power :shadedshu:

As opposed to? Unfortunately, the free markets are the most successful model yet. All the other models are complete disasters, and are even MORE corrupt. Give even one good alternative.

The more a model claims it's for the people the more corrupt and centralized into the hands of the greedy it really is.

Would you, kindly, elaborate on this?

Intel's culture is still one of "I'm the best around", when its no longer true. Both NVidia and AMD have technical leadership in consumer and supercomputer fields.

When we look at how much Intel screwed the scientists on the supercomputer Aurora for Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory... you can see all of Intel's crappy culture at play. They failed to deliver in 2018, they changed specifications, they failed to deliver again and again. I think Intel's bet on GPUs is overall better for the company, but they needed to do it in a way that didn't screw all those scientists over. Now its 2022 and there are still delays to Aurora.

A lot of scientists bet their PH.D dissertations on the Aurora Supercomputer. All of those scientists, forever moving forward, will be distrustful of Intel. The lack of empathy for their customers just cannot stand, not while Intel is at risk of being seen as the "inferior tech" these days (compared to AMD or NVidia supercomputers). Especially when these customers are high-value / high-profile / highly influential customers like the various professors/universities engaged in supercomputer work.

Intel kinda sorta thought that they can bully their way through and just deliver whatever and people would be happy. Maybe if Intel were truly a dominant company, that'd be true. (See NVidia: everyone complains about them but we know they're one of the best around so we still put up with them). But if you're already seen as technically inferior... these kinds of moves are really, really bad for your image, and can have cascading bad results over the next decade. All those professors are going to curse at Intel as they teach the next generation of programmers.

-------

I think Intel's culture around Aurora / GPUs is improving rapidly btw. But it didn't improve rapidly enough. I'm glad to see that they're fixing issues and better delivering to their customers, but they still need more work IMO.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Personally I like the concept of villeins. Bring it back and stop pretending.

As opposed to? Unfortunately, the free markets are the most successful model yet. All the other models are complete disasters, and are even MORE corrupt. Give even one good alternative.

The more a model claims it's for the people the more corrupt and centralized into the hands of the greedy it really is.
There is no one model that will fit everywhere, it never has & it never will but "trickle down economics" has shown itself to be a blatant lie over the last 4-5 decades since it was first coined.
An alternative would be to cap salaries at the top end & tax the ultra rich more ~ clearly the system is effing flawed if Bezos pays less in taxes (percent wise) than probably your school or university teachers!

Intel's culture is still one of "I'm the best around", when its no longer true.
Thank you for your thoughts. What is your take on the quality of current and upcoming CPU and GPU architectures, including PC market dwindling demand and prices?

Σario

Cowardly CEO's...always taking the path of least resistance when it comes to keeping those quarterly earnings coming in for the parasite corporate shareholders.
I registered just to respond to you.

I am going to ask you to do me a favor that I know you won't do but;

Please go to investopedia and spend the next 3-4 weeks reading every single article. You have no idea how finance works whatsoever as outlined by your post.
You seem to think
The CEO is the "head honcho"
You don't seem to understand what a CEO's role even is
You think Corporate shareholders are "parasites"
You don't seem to understand what a shareholder does
You don't even seem to understand what the purpose of a company is.

Don't take me as some random dude attacking you or anything.
Please go educate yourself a little. Please. It will make a world of difference in understand who the shitheads are in the world and who aren't.

There is no one model that will fit everywhere, it never has & it never will but "trickle down economics" has shown itself to be a blatant lie over the last 4-5 decades since it was first coined.
An alternative would be to cap salaries at the top end & tax the ultra rich more ~ clearly the system is effing flawed if Bezos pays less in taxes (percent wise) than probably your school or university teachers!
Stuff like this and your other posts are just depressing. There's no hope for someone like you because you're so invested in the model of the world you built in your head, you can't fathom considering anything else.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
.... however his bonus check is safe and secure
Let's see, 2,000 people at $100,000 a year including benefits, taxes, etc....

$200,000,000 a year in cost, if anyone can choose the right 2000 people to let go and they give him 5Mil for doing it that is half a percent of the savings.

People think they are entitled to things, a job, money, a nice home, a new car, food. When 200 years ago none of that was guaranteed and the chances you would die by 40 of a cut, cold, starvation, or your government were greater than not. We still aren't except when we work hard, and 2000 people shilling for a multi-billion dollar company shouldn't find it that hard to get a new job #learntosweat

I can see the GPU side being placed into stasis. Axe the hardware development and support teams. Keep the software side for continued driver improvements. Then scale back up for Battlemage once the recession ebbs. Something like this might be the source of the contradicting rumors about the cancellation of Arc.
They cannot afford to lose any shred of momentum they have at this point. They are almost 2 generations behind as is.

System Name custom
Processor intel i7 9700
Motherboard asrock taichi z370
Cooling EK-AIO 360 D-RGB
Memory 24G Kingston HyperX Fury 2666mhz
Video Card(s) GTX 2080 Ti FE
Storage SSD 960GB crucial + 2 Crucial 500go SSD + 2TO crucial M2
Display(s) BENQ XL2420T
Case Lian-li o11 dynamic der8auer Edition
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Essence STX
Power Supply corsair ax1200i
Mouse MX518 legendary edition
Keyboard gigabyte Aivia Osmium
VR HMD PSVR2
Software windows 11
Hard to not talk about politics when news like this come.

Big boomer for people at intel

System Name boomer--->zoomer not your typical millenial build
Processor i5-760 @ 3.8ghz + turbo ~goes wayyyyyyyyy fast cuz turboooooz~
Motherboard P55-GD80 ~best motherboard ever designed~
Cooling NH-D15 ~double stack thot twerk all day~
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix LP ~memory gone AWOL~
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 970 ~*~GOLDEN EDITION~*~ RAWRRRRRR
Storage 500GB Samsung 850 Evo (OS X, *nix), 128GB Samsung 840 Pro (W10 Pro), 1TB SpinPoint F3 ~best in class
Display(s) ASUS VW246H ~best 24" you've seen *FULL HD* *1O80PP* *SLAPS*~
Case FT02-W ~the W stands for white but it's brushed aluminum except for the disgusting ODD bays; *cries*
Audio Device(s) A LOT
Power Supply 850W EVGA SuperNova G2 ~hot fire like champagne~
Mouse CM Spawn ~cmcz R c00l seth mcfarlane darawss~
Keyboard CM QF Rapid - Browns ~fastrrr kees for fstr teens~
Software integrated into the chassis
Benchmark Scores 9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999
Avoiding politics is not that hard. Intel had 100,000+ employees, and is considering dropping 20% of their marketing department after every tech company rode the Covid boom and thought it would never end, leading us to a techno work-from-home utopia that no government could maintain. There’s no surprise here at all IMO.

keep in mind intel was one of the companys who was going to not build a new fab in the usa unless they got tax breaks they are a horrifc company at best... if u live in the usa you even going pure amd gave money to the greedy company intel should be sued if they let ppl go

System Name Legion
Processor i7-12700KF
Motherboard Asus Z690-Plus TUF Gaming WiFi D5
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer 2 240mm AIO
Memory PNY MAKO DDR5-6000 C36-36-36-76
Video Card(s) PowerColor Hellhound 6700 XT 12GB
Storage WD SN770 512GB m.2, Samsung 980 Pro m.2 2TB
Display(s) Acer K272HUL 1440p / 34" MSI MAG341CQ 3440x1440
Case Montech Air X
Power Supply Corsair CX750M
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 25
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys
Software Lots
keep in mind intel was one of the companys who was going to not build a new fab in the usa unless they got tax breaks they are a horrifc company at best... if u live in the usa you even going pure amd gave money to the greedy company intel should be sued if they let ppl go

That's false.

Intel was "only" going to build a $30 billion dollar fab if they did not get breaks, because they can go to Europe or any number of other countries and get those breaks and more.

With the breaks, they committed to building $100B in fabs over the next 10 years.

ARC was only launched to appease investors and allow them to say we've met our obligations. GPU division is in deep sh!t.

Whole world economy =will be in dire straights next year. A deep protracted recession will bite hard, discretionary spending is a thing of the past for normal people struggling to pay for food let alone fuel, electricity, mortgages as interest rates soar thanks to incompetent central banks that greatly helped bring on this inflation.

Article mentions that we are "going into" a recession. I am not sure if we are going into, or already in it. Nations like to downplay and tweak the definition as and when they like it. But clearly, the signs are plastered everywhere, but just getting denied by the leaders. And with the recent big rate hikes, it is going to cause even more issues. Not only are essentials not getting cheaper, loans/credits are getting very expensive to service. In a highly gear society where people or corporates take sizeable loan/ credit, it will no doubt cause more pain.

As to job cuts, I don't like it, and I think everyone won't like it either. But this is the reality when you are working for a company, and one that chases after profits. It is harsh, but I think anyone who runs a business will generally do the same when times are really bad.

Processor AMD 5900x
Motherboard Asus x570 Strix-E
Cooling Hardware Labs
Memory G.Skill 4000c17 2x16gb
Video Card(s) RTX 3090
Storage Sabrent
Display(s) Samsung G9
Case Phanteks 719
Audio Device(s) Fiio K5 Pro
Power Supply EVGA 1000 P2
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K95
This surely is not a surprise to anyone following markets.

System Name Mean machine
Processor 13900k
Motherboard MSI Unify X
Cooling Noctua U12A
Memory 7600c34
Video Card(s) 4090 Gamerock oc
Storage 980 pro 2tb
Display(s) Samsung crg90
Case Fractal Torent
Audio Device(s) Hifiman Arya / a30 - d30 pro stack
Power Supply Be quiet dark power pro 1200
Mouse Viper ultimate
Keyboard Blackwidow 65%
The ceo either makes money, or gets fired. If you were an investor putting money on the line, you would do so to get a benefit, else youd give it to charity. Blaming is easy when you don't have your own money on the line

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aero G R1.1 BiosF5g
Cooling Noctua NH-C12P SE14 w/ NF-A15 HS-PWM Fan 1500rpm
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 2x32GB D.S. D.R. (CT2K32G4DFD832A)
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6800 - Asus Tuf
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB & 2TB & 4TB Corsair LPX
Display(s) LG 27UL550-W (27" 4k)
Case Be Quiet Pure Base 600 (no window)
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220-VB
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex V Gold Pro 850W ATX Ver2.52
Mouse Mionix Naos Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe with browns
Software W10 22H2 Pro x64
Cut all execs wages shares and bonuses first.

System Name Workhorse
Processor 13900K 5.9 Ghz single core (2x) 5.6 Ghz Allcore @ -0.15v offset / 4.5 Ghz e-core -0.15v offset
Motherboard MSI Z690A-Pro DDR4
Cooling Arctic Liquid Cooler 360 3x Arctic 120 PWM Push + 3x Arctic 140 PWM Pull
Memory 2 x 32GB DDR4-3200-CL16 G.Skill RipJaws V @ 4133 Mhz CL 18-22-42-42-84 2T 1.45v
Video Card(s) RX 6600XT 8GB
Storage PNY CS3030 1TB nvme SSD, 2 x 3TB HDD, 1x 4TB HDD, 1 x 6TB HDD
Display(s) Samsung 34" 3440x1400 60 Hz
Case Coolermaster 690
Audio Device(s) Topping Dx3 Pro / Denon D2000 soon to mod it/Fostex T50RP MK3 custom cable and headband / Bose NC700
Power Supply Enermax Revolution D.F. 850W ATX 2.4
Mouse Logitech G5 / Speedlink Kudos gaming mouse (12 years old)
Keyboard A4Tech G800 (old) / Apple Magic keyboard
In addition to the GPU side going into stasis, I can see Intel going to a two year CPU release schedule. AMD has already moved both its CPUs and GPUs to a two year schedule. Nvidia GPUs are on two years. Meteor Lake is already rumored for a 2024 release. With the global economy and fab shrinks slowing down, this makes sense. If this is the case, PC builds/upgrades will last longer with now the best time to do so given new CPUs and GPUs from all companies were just updated.
Exactly. I am just waiting for the 7950x3D to drop and will be set for years if not decade, like I was with my current setup.

System Name Shizuka
Processor Intel Core i5 10400F
Motherboard Gigabyte B460M Aorus Pro
Cooling Scythe Choten
Memory 2x8GB G.Skill Aegis 2666 MHz
Video Card(s) PowerColor Red Dragon V2 RX 580 8GB ~100 watts in Wattman
Storage 512GB WD Blue + 256GB WD Green + 4TH Toshiba X300
Display(s) BenQ BL2420PT
Case Cooler Master Silencio S400
Audio Device(s) Topping D10 + AIWA NSX-V70
Power Supply Chieftec A90 550W (GDP-550C)
Mouse Steel Series Rival 100
Keyboard Hama SL 570
Software Windows 10 Enterprise
Gelsinger himself is taking salary north of $150Million/year. Thats worth salaries of hundreds of low ranking marketting staff. Culling his salary alone would save quite a few jobs.
Just saying, but isn't CEOs salary decided at stock owners meeting and then voted for?

System Name Workhorse
Processor 13900K 5.9 Ghz single core (2x) 5.6 Ghz Allcore @ -0.15v offset / 4.5 Ghz e-core -0.15v offset
Motherboard MSI Z690A-Pro DDR4
Cooling Arctic Liquid Cooler 360 3x Arctic 120 PWM Push + 3x Arctic 140 PWM Pull
Memory 2 x 32GB DDR4-3200-CL16 G.Skill RipJaws V @ 4133 Mhz CL 18-22-42-42-84 2T 1.45v
Video Card(s) RX 6600XT 8GB
Storage PNY CS3030 1TB nvme SSD, 2 x 3TB HDD, 1x 4TB HDD, 1 x 6TB HDD
Display(s) Samsung 34" 3440x1400 60 Hz
Case Coolermaster 690
Audio Device(s) Topping Dx3 Pro / Denon D2000 soon to mod it/Fostex T50RP MK3 custom cable and headband / Bose NC700
Power Supply Enermax Revolution D.F. 850W ATX 2.4
Mouse Logitech G5 / Speedlink Kudos gaming mouse (12 years old)
Keyboard A4Tech G800 (old) / Apple Magic keyboard
Gotta love the "free market"...at the first inkling of quarterly profits missing their mark, they immediately throw out the work force....more unemployed workers mean people are buying fewer consumer goods in our economy entirely based on consumerism...when they buy fewer consumer goods, the economy takes a down turn and.....you guessed it....more companies immediately throw out the work force....more unemployed workers means people are buying fewer consumer goods....and repeat

Situations like the one demonstrated above are a perfect example of why nationalized, or "state owned" industries, are an excellent bulwark against the cyclical downturns of capitalism. For example, a state owned steel industry can operate with revenues that just cover costs, or even at a loss for a while, so instead of throwing out the work force, they remain employed and therefore still have disposable income to buy consumer goods. Furthermore, the state owned steel industry can keep prices on steel low by running at cost or at a loss and insulate other downstream industries that rely on that steel from the chain reaction caused by economic downturns.

Now instead of steel, imagine if that state owned industry was something even more fundamental to current industrial order: oil.
See that analysis is very fine except that would hurt and wouldn't sit right with the current oil barons of the world.