• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Scores Another Top AMD Exec - Chris Hook Confirmed to Join Company

System Name Off-Brand PC System
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard X399
Cooling Wraithripper
Video Card(s) Vega 64
Benchmark Scores Less than Intel and Nvidia
Sucks to be Intel’s competitors for the upcoming years. The sleeping giant has awakened.

System Name The Stone that the Builders Refused / iJayo
Processor R5 1600/ R7 3700X
Motherboard Asrock AB350 Pro4 / Asus Rog Strix B450-F gaming
Cooling Cryorig M9 / Noctua NH-D14
Memory G skill 16 Gigs ddr4 / 16 gigs PNY ddr4
Video Card(s) Nvdia GTX 660 / Nvidia RTX 2070 Super
Storage 120gig 840 evo, 120gig adata sp900 / 1tb Mushkin M.2 ssd 1 & 3 tb seagate hdd, 120 gig Hyper X ssd
Display(s) 42" Nec retail display monitor/ 34" Dell curved 165hz monitor
Case Pink Enermax Ostrog / Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Tempered Glass edition
Audio Device(s) Altec Lansing Expressionist Bass/ M-Audio monitors
Power Supply Corsair450 / Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 650
Mouse corsair vengence M65 / Zalman Knossos
Keyboard corsair k95 / Roccat Vulcan 121
Software Window 10 pro / Windows 10 pro
Benchmark Scores meh... feel me on the battle field!
Sucks to be Intel’s competitors for the upcoming years. The sleeping giant has awakened.

woke.gif

There's a great video on YouTube by Dan Pink on what motivates people, and it's seldom just money.

Once money is no longer an issue, people are motivated by 3 things.

Mastery
Purpose
Autonomy

If Intel is not offering these guys those things, I imagine their stints there will be brief.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory Team Group Dark Pro 8Pack Edition 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 FE
Storage Kingston A2000 1TB + Seagate HDD workhorse
Display(s) Samsung 50" QN94A Neo QLED
Case Antec 1200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11

So not just poor Volta, but poor Vega, hell..... poor:

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough
Keller certainly won't stay forever, he's looking for the next challenge and as long as he achives his goals, his job prospects and paychecks will continue to go up.
As for the rest could be a matter of $$ to make them want to stay awhile.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Guys you are missing the bigger picture.
Intel is serious about discrete graphics and hiring talented people.
NV shits their pants already and comes up with GPP to make sure Intel graphics don't get any traction.

Tin hat anyone?

The beauty in the release of the ryzen cpus wich changed the market totally and made Intel to get off their arse while producing same cpus

with different numbers out of it game the coffe lakes that are freaking great cpus.

Change is good i wish them good luck at Intel and for AMD who has to bring new people abord i hope that it will bring more innovation.

Just Like Government, sometimes you need fresh teams.

Eastman

Those guys saw an opportunity to advance their career and finances which HR couldn’t match at AMD then good for them. Who wouldn’t? Loyalty is overrated in today’s market. I would say there are talents everywhere. Nobody is irreplaceable. Hell they’ve probably made insane offers to Lisa Su. But she’s probably got more freedom of movement where she is. Her choice is for the longer term. Anyway, I’m saying they’ll fill the gaps with newer younger hungrier talents. New ideas etc. That’s what will drive innovation. Sometimes it takes synergy to come up with a successful product. There’s no guarantee those key players will be able to replicate past success at Intel.

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
Guys, by the look of it , Intel is going to buy the whole (most of) AMD Graphics team (ex ATi). Meaning we either going to see a 3rd competitor, or a different stronger 2nd one.

Deathlokke

For those interested, here is an article on why non-competes are illegal in California: https://www.rhdtlaw.com/job-hopping-california-right/.

And here is the relevant law section mentioned in the article: https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?lawCode=BPC§ionNum=16600.
Except as provided in this chapter, every contract by which anyone is restrained from engaging in a lawful profession, trade, or business of any kind is to that extent void.

The courts in California have repeatedly upheld that this does, in fact, mean that non-competes are not able to be enforced; there are restrictions, but they appear only to owners selling businesses. This does not mean that they can freely take any IP they worked on to a different company, however, as this is covered by a different section of law.

System Name Miami
Processor Ryzen 3800X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VII Formula
Cooling Ek Velocity/ 2x 280mm Radiators/ Alphacool fullcover
Memory F4-3600C16Q-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) XFX 6900 XT Speedster 0
Storage 1TB WD M.2 SSD/ 2TB WD SN750/ 4TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) DELL AW3420DW / HP ZR24w
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Gold 1000W+750W
Mouse Corsair Scimitar/Glorious Model O-
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro
Those guys saw an opportunity to advance their career and finances which HR couldn’t match at AMD then good for them. Who wouldn’t? Loyalty is overrated in today’s market. I would say there are talents everywhere. Nobody is irreplaceable. Hell they’ve probably made insane offers to Lisa Su. But she’s probably got more freedom of movement where she is. Her choice is for the longer term. Anyway, I’m saying they’ll fill the gaps with newer younger hungrier talents. New ideas etc. That’s what will drive innovation. Sometimes it takes synergy to come up with a successful product. There’s no guarantee those key players will be able to replicate past success at Intel.

I second this notion but just want to point out newer younger hungrier talents need to be guided and mentored by those who are experienced(who happen the people Intel is snatching up) otherwise their just 'empty cups' being left to learn things their absent predecessors could have easily conveyed on their own.