• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Stuck with 14nm Processors Till Holiday 2019

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
:rolleyes: I sure don’t get that day off. :laugh:

Specifically, when the term “the holidays” is used in the U.S., it typically refers to the Christmas-New Year time period.
It speculative really, i.e. in my neck of the woods it typically means from Halloweeen to New Years. Which is to say the day that Hallowqeen decorations appear in force enough to make you gag, early October. There is a town in mid lower Michigan (Frankenmuth) where its Christmas 24/7/365, depends where you live I guess. I have heard it include Valanetines day too. idk, to each their own.

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
I think they understand timing their products better than anyone.

And yet , their struggle with 10nm shows that wasn't the case , not in this particular situation. I think you are smart enough to realize people's doubtfulness of their abilities doesn't come out of nowhere.

Also I don't think people realize the magnitude of these "simple delays". They pour mountains of cash into these things and they plan products for years to come on their basis , that's a big deal. AMD, as poor as their track record has been with new nodes they have never screwed up this much.

Last edited:
System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte x570 Gaming X
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory Corsair LPX 3600 4x8GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 6800 XT (reference)
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
Display(s) Samsung CFG70, Samsung NU8000 TV
Case Corsair C70
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Software Win 10 Pro
And yet , their struggle with 10nm shows that wasn't the case , not in this particular situation. I think you are smart enough to realize people's doubtfulness of their abilities doesn't come out of nowhere.

Also I don't think people realize the magnitude of these "simple delays". They pour mountains of cash into these things and they plan products for years to come on their basis , that's a big deal. AMD, as poor as their track record has been with new nodes they have never screwed up this much.

I'm not trying to downplay it. I just think the gloating is silly. Not just on this site. It's everywhere. People are somehow forgetting who they're talking about here.

Although, I'd probably laugh more about it, if it was a leak/and they were trying to hide this.

System Name Good enough
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
People are somehow forgetting who they're talking about here.

Well , I don't , they are the ones who designed things like Netburst and offered bribes in the range of billions to OEMs so they can make sure their inferior products are being bought.

Sorry but Intel's track record is full of questionable products and strategies. If you want to say that people forget who they are in terms of their ability to remain market leaders, sure go ahead but as to anything else ? Nah , their past is littered with costly failures , ex. mobile SoCs.

Also, they predicted P68 based CPUs to hit 10 Ghz by 2011 ... yeah.

Last edited:
System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
Well , I don't , they are the ones who designed things like Netburst and offered bribes in the range of billions to OEMs so they can make sure their inferior products are being bought.

Sorry but Intel's track record is full of questionable products and strategies. If you want to say that people forget who they are in terms of their ability to remain market leaders, sure go ahead but as to anything else ? Nah , their past is littered with costly failures , ex. mobile SoCs.

That's just capitalism. I hope you're not hoping for salvation or something from AMD. It's always/eventually going to be the same... unless you break capitalism itself. But I digress.

I'm just saying don't forget who they are in terms of size/resources. This is like watching people get stoked when another team scores a touchdown on the New England Patriots (or insert the equivalent here). Where they suddenly treat that perpetual behemoth like an amateur.... only to get disappointed moments later.

System Name Good enough
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
That's just capitalism.

This is a matter of technical aspects though and I feel like you confused the two. Being doubtful of that is perfectly valid.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
This is a matter of technical aspects though and I feel like you confused the two. Being doubtful of that is perfectly valid.

Admittedly, I am confused.. since you mentioned the underhanded marketing/distributor tactics (which I don't like either).

edit:

Sidenote -- Despite naming differences, apparently Intel's 10nm process is similar AMD's 7nm. Can someone explain/confirm that?

Either way, they'll probably hit the same roadblock eventually at 5nm.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 5950X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aurus Master
Cooling Corsair H115i
Memory 32GB (16x2) Crucial DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) Powercolor Radeon RX 480 Red Devil 8GB
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200, 1TB Corsair MP510, 4TB WDC Red, 3TB WDC Black, 6TB Ironwolf, 250GB 850 evo
Display(s) LG 4k 27"
Case Nanoxia Deep Silence 6
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z906
Power Supply 660W Seasonic Platinum Prime
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech
Software Windows 10
Admittedly, I am confused.. since you mentioned the underhanded marketing/distributor tactics (which I don't like either).

edit:

Sidenote -- Despite naming differences, apparently Intel's 10nm process is similar AMD's 7nm. Can someone explain/confirm that?

Either way, they'll probably hit the same roadblock eventually at 5nm.
Here is a comparison of Global Foundries 7nm and Intel's 10nm -> https://www.semiwiki.com/forum/content/7191-iedm-2017-intel-versus-globalfoundries-leading-edge.html

Here is another article containing a chart with comparison's of all the leading 7nm/10nm players in the market.
https://www.semiwiki.com/forum/content/7602-semicon-west-intel-10nm-gf-7nm-update.html

Last edited:
System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
Processor Ryzen 5950X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aurus Master
Cooling Corsair H115i
Memory 32GB (16x2) Crucial DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) Powercolor Radeon RX 480 Red Devil 8GB
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200, 1TB Corsair MP510, 4TB WDC Red, 3TB WDC Black, 6TB Ironwolf, 250GB 850 evo
Display(s) LG 4k 27"
Case Nanoxia Deep Silence 6
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z906
Power Supply 660W Seasonic Platinum Prime
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech
Software Windows 10
Thanks.. briefly read through the first link, but I think I get the gist of it (not that I understand the whole process). Your second link doesn't seem to be showing up.
Sorry I edited my post with the proper link.

System Name Custom build, AMD/ATi powered.
Processor AMD FX™ 8350 [8x4.6 GHz]
Motherboard AsRock 970 Extreme3 R2.0
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1
Memory Crucial, Ballistix Tactical, 16 GByte, 1866, CL9
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon HD 7850 Black Edition, 2 GByte GDDR5
Storage 250/500/1500/2000 GByte, SSD: 60 GByte
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster 950p
Case CoolerMaster HAF 912 Pro
Audio Device(s) 7.1 Digital High Definition Surround
Power Supply be quiet! Straight Power E9 CM 580W
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64, SP 1
[…] They are going to have to play the pricing game.
Which they can only lose.
They just can't compete nor win against AMD's CCX-stroke of genius and their Magic Glue™

An unmentioned consideration might be the urgent need to Redesign the CPU to avoid those all-ready Discovered Back-doors
like Spectre and Meltdown ( AND THOSE THAT INTEL HAVE NOT DISCLOSED).
WE ALL KNOW that Intel have to rework upcoming CPU's to mitigate those flaws found in all Current designs
… which – if they re-establish that physical barrier (gimme a rope here …) between given address-spaces (kernel-/user-space), will hurt their Chips performance really badly – if they truly revert that change they did back then.

[…]
Remember that Ice Lake is a major architecture unlike Zen2, so we should expect some IPC gains to offset the lower clock speed. …
I never understood why everyone keeps saying that though?
For me, that ever mentioned Ice Lake as well as Tiger Lake ain't going to be any stellar either – as they most definitely¹ are just going to be another (though, refined) Skylake-designs (being downscaled for 10nm) and newer reincarnations of respins and expansions of (at that time) up-to-date Core-I-variants – that's what they're telling by their names alone, or do they?

Intel always gives every architecture unique names after given schemes like city names (Core → Kentsfield, Yorkfield, Clovertown, Harpertown, Tigerton, Dunnington), rivers (Nehalem → Nehalem, Westmere) or atm lakes (Skylake → Skylake, Kaby Lake, Coffe Lake, Ice Lake, Tiger Lake).

I firmly believe that Ice Lake and Tiger Lake pretty sure ain't going to be any new µArch but refined Skylake-designs.
¹ If Intel will be going to release a ground-braking new µArch and design (as it was rumoured at the launch of Ryzen) with their approach in getting rid of most x86-backward compatibility (whereas no-one really knows by now if it delivers any greater gains in IPC anyway …), they surely won't label it as some Skylake-spin-off but would have gave it a truly unique new name-scheme. That's for sure, isn't it?

Ice Lake will be de facto just another 10nm-refresh and a derivative of Skylake, just like Cannon Lake is was supposed to be – with what Intel would have even been come through with, if AMD wouldn't have been risen Ryzen again …

Speaking of 'woods of trees', anyone knows what has happened to Cannonball?! It never seemed to appear ever again!

In this sense

Smartcom

Last edited:

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
Intel would have kept right on cruising if it weren't for Spectre/Meltdown, and AMD. Between the two, they're probably scrambling at red alert trying to get their shit together...

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X ||| Intel Core i7-3930K
Motherboard ASUS ProArt B550-CREATOR ||| Asus P9X79 WS
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S ||| Be Quiet Pure Rock
Memory Crucial 2 x 16 GB 3200 MHz ||| Corsair 8 x 8 GB 1333 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 3GB ||| MSI GTX 680 4GB
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB + 1 TB ||| Intel 545s 512 GB + 256 GB
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" ||| Eizo EV2416W 24"
Case Fractal Design Define 7 XL x 2
Audio Device(s) Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 x 2
Mouse Razer Abyssus
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire XT
Software Ubuntu
For me, that ever mentioned Ice Lake as well as Tiger Lake ain't going to be any stellar either – as they most definitely¹ are just going to be another (though, refined) Skylake-designs (being downscaled for 10nm) and newer reincarnations of respins and expansions of (at that time) up-to-date Core-I-variants – that's what they're telling by their names alone, or do they?

Intel always gives every architecture unique names after given schemes like city names (Core → Kentsfield, Yorkfield, Clovertown, Harpertown, Tigerton, Dunnington), rivers (Nehalem → Nehalem, Westmere) or atm lakes (Skylake → Skylake, Kaby Lake, Coffe Lake, Ice Lake, Tiger Lake).

I firmly believe that Ice Lake and Tiger Lake pretty sure ain't going to be any new µArch but refined Skylake-designs.
So, your whole argument rests on the names of the generations?
Ice Lake was going to be their next architecture according to their old tick-tock plan, then Sapphire Rapids the next architecture after that(~2021).

If Intel will be going to release a ground-braking new µArch and design (as it was rumoured at the launch of Ryzen) with their approach in getting rid of most x86-backward compatibility (whereas no-one really knows by now if it delivers any greater gains in IPC anyway …), they surely won't label it as some Skylake-spin-off but would have gave it a truly unique new name-scheme. That's for sure, isn't it?
You are confused about CPU architectures and ISAs(Instruction Set Architecture). Intel is not going to abandon x86 anytime the next ten years. At the moment, both Skylake and Zen families are RISC-like implementations of x86, and the legacy x86 instructions is not a major problem. x86 is still far more performing than any of the "true" RISC variants in existence.

Ice Lake is going to be another CPU architecture, still implementing x86 ISA, continuing to improve the way Skylake, Haswell, etc. did before it.

You are confused about CPU architectures and ISAs(Instruction Set Architecture). Intel is not going to abandon x86 anytime the next ten years. At the moment, both Skylake and Zen families are RISC-like implementations of x86, and the legacy x86 instructions is not a major problem. x86 is still far more performing than any of the "true" RISC variants in existence.

Ice Lake is going to be another CPU architecture, still implementing x86 ISA, continuing to improve the way Skylake, Haswell, etc. did before it.
It's not going to be anything significantly different, from lets say Broadwell->Skylake. I'm not sure where you got the impression that major uarch changes (tock) improve the IPC tremendously, they don't! The only thing ICL has going for it is AVX512 for MSDT, servers - I'm not sure Intel even has a joker up their sleeves.

The last major uarch changes were conroe, then Nehalem. SB increases the IPC a lot but I don't remember anything radical being introduced, except AVX.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X ||| Intel Core i7-3930K
Motherboard ASUS ProArt B550-CREATOR ||| Asus P9X79 WS
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S ||| Be Quiet Pure Rock
Memory Crucial 2 x 16 GB 3200 MHz ||| Corsair 8 x 8 GB 1333 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 3GB ||| MSI GTX 680 4GB
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB + 1 TB ||| Intel 545s 512 GB + 256 GB
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" ||| Eizo EV2416W 24"
Case Fractal Design Define 7 XL x 2
Audio Device(s) Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 x 2
Mouse Razer Abyssus
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire XT
Software Ubuntu
It's not going to be anything significantly different, from lets say Broadwell->Skylake. I'm not sure where you got the impression that major uarch changes (tock) improve the IPC tremendously, they don't! The only thing ICL has going for it is AVX512 for MSDT, servers - I'm not sure Intel even has a joker up their sleeves.

The last major uarch changes were conroe, then Nehalem. SB increases the IPC a lot but I don't remember anything radical being introduced, except AVX.
Your argument centers around "major changes". I don't know what you mean by that, but I'll explain what I do.

You don't have to add new instructions to increase performance. Of recent architectures (Sandy Bridge, Haswell and Skylake), Sandy Bridge was the largest improvement, and it was not due to AVX. Sandy Bridge did improve the execution ports and the prefetcher. Haswell and Skylake did similar improvements, just slightly smaller. These are improvements which boost IPC, and have nothing to do with AVX, or special acceleration for AES, compression and video, which these CPUs also have.

Ice Lake will be a new architecture, it will redesign or extend most parts of the CPU design, unlike Ivy Bridge and Broadwell, which did isolated improvements in addition to a node shrink. Ice Lake will rebalance and calibrate the entire front-end and pipeline, including memory controller and cache. It may also add more computational resources like Zen did, but we have no details on that yet. There are also a few new instructions in Ice Lake, one of them is related to saving cycles when copying memory.

Your argument centers around "major changes". I don't know what you mean by that, but I'll explain what I do.

You don't have to add new instructions to increase performance. Of recent architectures (Sandy Bridge, Haswell and Skylake), Sandy Bridge was the largest improvement, and it was not due to AVX. Sandy Bridge did improve the execution ports and the prefetcher. Haswell and Skylake did similar improvements, just slightly smaller. These are improvements which boost IPC, and have nothing to do with AVX, or special acceleration for AES, compression and video, which these CPUs also have.

Ice Lake will be a new architecture, it will redesign or extend most parts of the CPU design, unlike Ivy Bridge and Broadwell, which did isolated improvements in addition to a node shrink. Ice Lake will rebalance and calibrate the entire front-end and pipeline, including memory controller and cache. It may also add more computational resources like Zen did, but we have no details on that yet. There are also a few new instructions in Ice Lake, one of them is related to saving cycles when copying memory.
Tock, part of Intel's Tick Tock which is dead atm.

I didn't say it was due to AVX but adding AVX (also QuickSync) was perhaps the biggest change from Nehalem. Apparetly I was wrong ~ https://www.anandtech.com/print/3922/intels-sandy-bridge-architecture-exposed

The gains will be minimal, unless Intel has found a serious bottleneck that limited core's performance. SB->HSW was a small leap, HSW->SKL a smaller leap & I expect SKL->ICL to be even less wrt IPC increase. This of course ignores the spectre & meltdown hardwired fixes, that may skew the final numbers in ICL favor.

You mean Fast Short REP MOV ~ we'll see how it works in real world, also if there's any potential spectre vulnerabilities.

If you had the choice between a race car with steel (omg how ancient!) body work and carbon fiber, but the steel one was faster, would you still buy the carbon fiber one? Implementation technology is purely secondary, I buy for performance.

Processor i7 4770K
Motherboard Asus Z87-Expert
Cooling Noctua NH-U12S, &case fans all controlled by Aquaero 6
Memory 2x8GB TeamGroup Xtreem LV 2133MHz
Video Card(s) Vega 64
Storage Samsung 840 Pro + 2x 5GB WD Red@RAID1
Display(s) Dell U3014
Case Lian Li PC-A71B
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR, Objective2 (2x), AKG K702&712, Beyerdynamic DT990
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 650 (+Eaton 5P 1550 as "backup power")
Mouse Logitech G700
Keyboard Logitech G810
I'm not trying to downplay it. I just think the gloating is silly. Not just on this site. It's everywhere. People are somehow forgetting who they're talking about here.
While people laughing at AMD's "Fail"dozer wasn't silly?
I think just for fairness it's right that Intel is now getting laughed at.

I mean compared to AMD they're huge, with huge amount more resources and talent.
And despite of all that they kept consumers at four cores for decade in high end and two as standard.
(making sure game developers didn't have too much of incentive to go looking for new ways to use extra threads)
Also 10nm mass production seems to be now at best four years late from original plans.
And it's not even sure if it's going to be such as originally advertised.
That just looks more and more like Olkiluoto 3 nuclear power plant.
Supposed to now start operating decade behind original plan... Assuming it doesn't keep status quo of still more delays.
(world's second most expensive building in construction costs)

System Name Intel® X99 Wellsburg
Processor Intel® Core™ i7-5820K - 4.5GHz
Motherboard ASUS Rampage V E10 (1801)
Cooling EK RGB Monoblock + EK XRES D5 Revo Glass PWM
Memory CMD16GX4M4A2666C15
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon
Storage Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 1TB /850 EVO 1TB / WD Black 2TB
Display(s) Samsung P2450H
Case Lian Li PC-O11 WXC
Audio Device(s) CREATIVE Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply EVGA 1200 P2 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G900 / SS QCK
Keyboard Deck 87 Francium Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Maybe Intel can't do nothing 2 years after they launch i9-9900K, but if his price replace i7-8700K we talk about seriuos and very usefull processor.
After customers OC him on 5.0-5.2GHz for all cores on custom loop and that will be possible if Intel avoid thermal paste that will be best processor mixed for gaming/surfing/little video editing./little youtube streaming, etc...
He will not be as Threadripper but he will finish jobs even for rendering and video editing very good.

Example if some Intel fan want to replace his computers and don't know what to use,...
1. Build small ITX/Mini ITX RIG with Seasonic 600W Titanium Fanless and i9-9900K for gaming and UHD BluRay 4K and fun.
2. Wait Intel X599 to build multi core monster

I have impression that AMD will be better performance for price only if you 24h use all cores 16-32
And Intel for sure could launch 10nm only 18 months after last 14nm CPU.
Maybe is 14nm but will be beast, and his total picture depend only from price.
Asking 500-550$ they are in problems and for 8 months they will need to drop price on 4350-400$.
But if they ask 400$ immediately to be honest I would rather go on i9-9900K than any Ryzen 2, even if I need to pay clear 100 more.

I don't belive AMD have so better and dominat core and his 4.2GHz give you better impression in different applications than Intel 5.0GHz, same number of cores.
I hope only reviews will show good chance for overclocking all cores on higher speed without surprise with VRM and powerconsumption, thermal paste, etc...

System Name My Ryzen 7 7700X Super Computer
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling DeepCool AK620 with Arctic Silver 5
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 EXPO (CL30)
Video Card(s) XFX AMD Radeon RX 7900 GRE
Storage Samsung 980 EVO 1 TB NVMe SSD (System Drive), Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB NVMe SSD (Game Drive)
Display(s) Acer Nitro XV272U (DisplayPort) and Acer Nitro XV270U (DisplayPort)
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH C
Audio Device(s) On-Board Sound / Sony WH-XB910N Bluetooth Headphones
Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/liwjs3
Look at the TDP for the 8-core Core i7 9900K. It's still 95W with two more cores and a higher clock speed
You seem to forget that that's only the TDP at base clocks, when it speeds up to boost speeds the TDP goes through the roof.

System Name Intel® X99 Wellsburg
Processor Intel® Core™ i7-5820K - 4.5GHz
Motherboard ASUS Rampage V E10 (1801)
Cooling EK RGB Monoblock + EK XRES D5 Revo Glass PWM
Memory CMD16GX4M4A2666C15
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon
Storage Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 1TB /850 EVO 1TB / WD Black 2TB
Display(s) Samsung P2450H
Case Lian Li PC-O11 WXC
Audio Device(s) CREATIVE Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply EVGA 1200 P2 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G900 / SS QCK
Keyboard Deck 87 Francium Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
But TDP will not go over 120W in Turbo specifications.
Even less, I belive arround 110W.

Processor i7 4770K
Motherboard Asus Z87-Expert
Cooling Noctua NH-U12S, &case fans all controlled by Aquaero 6
Memory 2x8GB TeamGroup Xtreem LV 2133MHz
Video Card(s) Vega 64
Storage Samsung 840 Pro + 2x 5GB WD Red@RAID1
Display(s) Dell U3014
Case Lian Li PC-A71B
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR, Objective2 (2x), AKG K702&712, Beyerdynamic DT990
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 650 (+Eaton 5P 1550 as "backup power")
Mouse Logitech G700
Keyboard Logitech G810
But TDP will not go over 120W in Turbo specifications.
Even less, I belive arround 110W.
Already 8700K goes to 150W class power consumption if BIOS isn't limiting boost clocks because of temps/to comply with TDP limit:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-coffee-lake-i7-8700k-cpu,5252-12.html
So that imaginary all 5+ GHz octa core Intel of yours will be more like 200W power consumption CPU when put under full load.
More reasonable power consumption will have to wait for Intel's 10nm.

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
This is all starting to sound similar to Netburst... high clocks, heat, and power consumption... only it's actually a little faster this time around. AMD just needs a nice little shove with Zen 2 and we're back to Pentium vs Athlon.