• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel to Bring 5G to Mobile PCs by 2019

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Today, Intel announced it is collaborating with Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft to bring 5G connectivity to Windows PCs with Intel XMM 8000 series commercial 5G modems. Intel expects the first high-performing 5G-connected PCs to surface in the market in the second half of 2019.

Mobile World Congress (MWC) attendees will get a first sneak peek at a concept 5G-connected PC - a detachable 2 in 1 - connected by an early 5G modem and powered by 8th Generation Intel Core i5 processors. At MWC, Intel will showcase the power of 5G on a PC by livestreaming video over the 5G network. This concept is one of many stepping stones for moving the industry forward in what's possible for 5G-enabled PCs.

5G is not just another generation of wireless connectivity. It promises new opportunities for technology innovation across the computing and connectivity landscape from the cloud to the network and the client.

The PC is a central hub for processing incredible amounts of data. 5G is coming. Not only will it bring a substantial amount of data needing processing but also new experiences for PC owners. Imagine immersing in untethered VR from anywhere in the world, or downloading a 250 megabyte file in seconds from a parking lot. Or imagine being able to continue participating in a multiplayer game as you ride in an autonomous vehicle on the way to class. Radically different. This is just a sampling of the experiences 5G will reimagine for the mobile PC. As this transformation of data continues, it's critical for PCs to be ready with 5G.

In addition to 5G:
At MWC, Intel will also showcase the latest steps it has taken to build toward a more connected future with:
  • 11ax, the next big thing in Wi-Fi. A thin PC with 802.11ax Wi-Fi will be on display at the Intel's booth in Hall 3 at Stand 3E31. 802.11ax builds enhanced levels of manageability and network efficiency, and will be a critical part of the connected future with 5G.
  • eSIM functionality will be on display at Intel's booth in Hall 3 at Stand 3E31. As of September 2017, all of Intel's modem solutions for PCs support eSIM in enterprise and consumer segments. eSIM is an essential feature for connected PCs, and Intel plans to continue offering it going forward. Intel continues to work across the ecosystem to ensure our end customers enjoy seamless out-of-the-box experiences.
Intel is investing deeply across its wireless portfolio and partners to bring 5G-connected mobile PCs to market, with benefits for users, like high-quality video on-the-go, high-end gaming, and seamless connections as users traverse Wi-Fi and cellular networks. With 5G's critical speeds and capacity, Intel will help to open the door to new experiences hardly imaginable today, and make connecting online from anywhere, anytime the norm.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Bay2- Lowerbay/ HP 3770/T3500-2+T3500-3+T3500-4/ Opti-Con/Orange/White/Grey
Processor i3 2120's/ i7 3770/ x5670's/ i5 2400/Ryzen 2700/Ryzen 2700/R7 3700x
Motherboard HP UltraSlim's/ HP mid size/ Dell T3500 workstation's/ Dell 390/B450 AorusM/B450 AorusM/B550 AorusM
Cooling All stock coolers/Grey has an H-60
Memory 2GB/ 4GB/ 12 GB 3 chan/ 4GB sammy/T-Force 16GB 3200/XPG 16GB 3000/Ballistic 3600 16GB
Video Card(s) HD2000's/ HD 2000/ 1 MSI GT710,2x MSI R7 240's/ HD4000/ Red Dragon 580/Sapphire 580/Sapphire 580
Storage ?HDD's/ 500 GB-er's/ 500 GB/2.5 Samsung 500GB HDD+WD Black 1TB/ WD Black 500GB M.2/Corsair MP600 M.2
Display(s) 1920x1080/ ViewSonic VX24568 between the rest/1080p TV-Grey
Case HP 8200 UltraSlim's/ HP 8200 mid tower/Dell T3500's/ Dell 390/SilverStone Kublai KL06/NZXT H510 W x2
Audio Device(s) Sonic Master/ onboard's/ Beeper's!
Power Supply 19.5 volt bricks/ Dell PSU/ 525W sumptin/ same/Seasonic 750 80+Gold/EVGA 500 80+/Antec 650 80+Gold
Mouse cheap GigaWire930, CMStorm Havoc + Logitech M510 wireless/iGear usb x2/MX 900 wireless kit 4 Grey
Keyboard Dynex, 2 no name, SYX and a Logitech. All full sized and USB. MX900 kit for Grey
Software Mint 18 Sylvia/ Opti-Con Mint KDE/ T3500's on Kubuntu/HP 3770 is Win 10/Win 10 Pro/Win 10 Pro/Win10
Benchmark Scores World Community Grid is my benchmark!!
"...and make connecting online from anywhere, anytime the norm."

"To Infinity, and BEYOND!"

Great soundbites, but "there can be only one."

I wonder sometimes, is it just me or does the future, or the projected future from these companies, seem just a few steps removed from dystopian disaster.

Man, did I wake up on the wrong side of bed? IDK, just a passing thought after seeing that last line in the article.
:lovetpu:

"While each dystopia contains unique horrors, the stories often spring from the same well — a feeling that the way we're living now is unsustainable."

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
"...and make connecting online from anywhere, anytime the norm."

"To Infinity, and BEYOND!"

Great soundbites, but "there can be only one."

I wonder sometimes, is it just me or does the future, or the projected future from these companies, seem just a few steps removed from dystopian disaster.

Man, did I wake up on the wrong side of bed? IDK, just a passing thought after seeing that last line in the article.
:lovetpu:

"While each dystopia contains unique horrors, the stories often spring from the same well — a feeling that the way we're living now is unsustainable."

Interesting questions. At the risk of going completely off topic;

I believe that humanity is a species of parasites, that will deplete a world's resources and move on to the next. With our current frame of reference, I think many signs are pointing towards that being the essence of our existence. We worry about the future, but not enough to implement drastic changes in the way we live; we only accept changes that make our lives better which is a fundamental problem. Our society is built upon an action-reaction type structure, and lots of short term planning that wins battles over long term-wisdom. Its a pattern we have been unable to escape from thus far, which inevitably leads to some sort of crisis. The resources on our planet our finite, it is inevitable that we're going to move on to somewhere else at some point. Whether our remaining resources will be sufficient to support that exodus remains to be seen... Or perhaps we will just be using the solar system's planets as new resource nodes instead - but in the end that can only be a stepping stone.

At the same time, we also have a pattern of technological progress as a constant provider of new means to achieve goals. Look at SpaceX / Elon Musks' vision of the future, and again, it is a testament of who we are and what we will become.

As for our own lifetimes, I think our greatest possible achievement in the foreseeable future will be more unity between countries, continents and eventually global cooperation between everything and everyone. The internet is already a huge driver for that achievement, and the big changes in our current time are all baby steps towards that unity. Its ridiculous that we are still fighting over power and land amongst ourselves, abusing race and religion to fuel conflict; new generations show us that on almost daily basis (great current example: Syria's younger generations and how they look at war). The powers that be are manipulative enough to keep the hate train going but their power is waning; and again, it is knowledge and new discovery that drives a different way of thinking. Not too long ago, the earth was considered flat...

What can we do to speed this process? Vote on the youngest politicians and leaders you can vote for. Remove the old boys network, forcefully if need be. And above all: listen to the wisdom of the younger generations. Their vision has not been clouded by all the things that suck in our societies, and their simple solutions are in fact often the wisest ones.

Last edited:
Wow much innovation.. modems in CPU`s, tiny Fabs, super power saving ..WOW

I will just leave this here: https://www.mediatek.com/products/smartphones/mediatek-helio-x30

I wonder how many market segments intel can harvest from this latest scam.. woops i mean venture, how overpriced it will be in regard to comparable products and if they will ever stop overcharging.

Last edited: