• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel to Detail Xe Graphics on August 13

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Intel is expected to reveal technical details of its upcoming Xe graphics architecture on August 13, according to a tweet by Intel Graphics that has since been deleted. Tom's Hardware believes the reveal is still on the cards. "You've waited. You've wondered. We'll deliver. In 20 days, expect more details on Xe graphics," the tweet read. Senior Fellow and Director of Graphics Architecture at Intel, David Blythe is expected to present a technical brief on the Xe graphics architecture at a Hot Chips 2020 virtual event on August 17.

These technical reveals are closely timed with the launch of "Tiger Lake," Intel's first commercial debut of Xe as an iGPU solution the chipmaker refers to as "Gen12" for consistency with older generations of integrated graphics. Xe is far from designed for just iGPU or small dGPUs, with the architecture being scalable all the way up to large scalar compute processors the size of beer mug coasters. Even as an iGPU, Xe is formidable, as it was recently shown playing AAA games by itself. Recent commentary from Intel at its Q2 2020 financial results provided strong hints of Xe dGPUs being de-coupled from Intel's foundry woes, and possibly headed for third-party foundries such as Samsung or TSMC.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name ITX Desktop
Processor Core i7 9700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro WiFi Z390
Cooling Arctic esports 34 duo.
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3000MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 Gaming OC White PRO
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus | Intel SSD 660p
Case NZXT H200
Power Supply Corsair CX Series 750 Watt
Intel and AMD battling for 2nd place and lowends lol

Just like how AMD was battling for 2nd place in a 2-player market. :)
Things change pretty fast in this industry.

Honestly I don't mind if Intel focus on low end, just make sure pricing is competitive, thus we actually get new competition in the market instead of just Intel ticking box for bean counters.

It is good to see Intel coming into the GPU space. With only 2 key players in the market, I feel there's insufficient competition in the GPU space. Moreover Nvidia is dominating this area for many years now.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Honestly I don't mind if Intel focus on low end, just make sure pricing is competitive

So much this. Low end is where the interesting stuff happens.

Processor 3700X
Motherboard X570 TUF Plus
Cooling U12
Memory 32GB 3600MHz
Video Card(s) eVGA GTX970
Storage 512GB 970 Pro
Case CM 500L vertical
If it's even remotely approaching GTX 1050Ti performance, I'll be interested.

Mostly because Intel's open source graphics drivers actually work on Linux, especially w.r.t. new GPUs and new features. Furthermore, some virtualization features that matter to me, such as GVT-G. Right now, I pass through an entire Nvidia dGPU to a Windows VM while relying on an AMD APU (hoping to consolidate back to ITX) for the Linux host. Trying to share a single GPU with Nvidia or AMD requires professional cards and Nvidia has even more requirements on top of that. Sharing a current Intel IGP is pointless, since there is no performance to be had.

However, an Intel GPU with the same software stack and more performance is noteworthy, in my view. If it's priced less than equivalent Nvidia/AMD pro cards, then I can cheaply consolidate my setup.

System Name M3401 notebook
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Display(s) 14" OLED screen of the laptop
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.
Intel and AMD battling for 2nd place and lowends lol
Oh boy, did you just call 400-$500 market "low end"?
The meltdowns, when RDNA2 hits, will be hilarious.

I am really keen to see this paper launch on the 13th. While having a 3rd competitor in the GPU space would be awesome, I have no hope that these parts will be competitive. When you realise that Intel hired dozens of people just to hype up Xe, and their twitter accounts are lame as fcuk, then you start thinking it's really a smokescreen.

Please, if someone, has ANY source they can point to (that is not a fake, a rumour or something in between), send us in the right direction.

Replace Xe for Big Navi, where applicable, if you will. I hear people talking a lot about Big Navi, but there's really nothing out there other than hopeful rumours to justify that.

aQi

Intel is basically after AI market which in currently dominated by Nvidia.....ummmm not dominated actually ruled by Nvidia.