• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Turbo Max Technology Startup issue

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte x570 Gaming X
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory Corsair LPX 3600 4x8GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 6800 XT (reference)
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
Display(s) Samsung CFG70, Samsung NU8000 TV
Case Corsair C70
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Software Win 10 Pro
Every once in awhile the Intel Turbo Max starts up when I reboot my computer with an open Window on the desktop.. then other times it doesn't show up at all and just sits quietly minimized in the corner of the task bar (which is what I'd prefer). Any reason why it does this? I'm not exactly familiar with this app. Last time I had a z270 board (now x299) and it didn't even use Intel Turbo Max. Turbo settings were all done transparently through the BIOS.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
That's an app for X299 CPUs that lets you force apps to the Turbo'd cores (these chips have specific cores that boost, and do not boost randomly on any core). Relatively useless, really, and good luck getting rid of it now... :p It can be a pain that way.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
That's an app for X299 CPUs that lets you force apps to the Turbo'd cores (these chips have specific cores that boost, and do not boost randomly on any core). Relatively useless, really, and good luck getting rid of it now... :p It can be a pain that way.

Luckily, it hasn't popped up a lot.. but still strange. I suppose I'll just deal with it.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Luckily, it hasn't popped up a lot.. but still strange. I suppose I'll just deal with it.
I do. it's a bit weird for sure, but it does work for what it is supposed to do, forcing loads to the threads you specify. That means you can force low-priority to the core that don't get turbo, and get those important apps on the turbo cores so they do their work faster.

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
That problem was supposedly fixed in the latest release per post 67, in this thread, at "Re: Why does The Intel Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0 control panel window pop up not disappear anymore on the startup of windows 10? "

Ronald_Intel Jun 6, 2018 10:07 PM

Hello everyone,

I would like to let you all know that we have released a new version of Intel® Turbo Boost Max Technology (TBMT) 3.0 that should fix this issue.
Please download it from here and let me know your feedback.

We apologize for the delay getting this fix out, and at the same time thank you for your outstanding patience.

Best Regards
Ronald M.

Quote from Release Notes PDF:

TBMT Driver/Application Installation
1. Important: Uninstall previous version of TBMT Driver/Application before installing this version of TBMT Driver/Application.
* Go to Windows Control Panel, Programs, Uninstall a Program, and uninstall any previous version of Intel® Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0 software.
* Reboot the system.
2. Boot to Windows normally (not in Safe mode).
3. Unzip the TBMT Driver/Control Panel Application package.
4. Run setup.exe.
5. After successful installation, reboot the system.

Intel® Turbo Boost Technology Driver Installation Verification Steps
Verify TBMT Driver Installation in Device Manager.
1. Go to Device Manager, System Devices
2. Check if Intel® Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0 Driver exists and is not yellow banged
3. Close Device Manager

Goodluck, hope it works for you.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
That's OK... gave me something to do at 3am... can't sleep, anyways. :)

Let us know if it is fixed.

Seems to be OK now. I almost missed that instruction you posted where you had to uninstall the old one. That's weird that the new installer doesn't do it itself (and apparently keeps the old Turbo Max installed if you don't do it).

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yep, I highlighted it, because, the intel guy in that thread said it a couple of times... uninstall first...